• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Yeah I do. I don't think you do though. There is no such thing as an official list. Its just speculation. And that speculation changes based on the general public's understanding of the game as it progresses. If it was official wouldn't it be from the creators of the game? Do you know what official means?

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
Who's to say its not official? Did we hire scientists to do research on this? Or do you only listen to tourney goers?
The creator of the thread said it was unofficial, but that he hopes it eventually gets moved to the competitive forum. Did you read the first post of this thread?

There is no such thing as an official list. Its just speculation. And that speculation changes based on the general public's understanding of the game as it progresses. If it was official wouldn't it be from the creators of the game? Do you know what official means?
Official to the board, not universally official (though the SWF tier lists are recognized by a lot of outside sources as the most official list). Thanks for the sweet philosophy lesson, but you're wrong. Do you know what legitimacy means?

"In political science, legitimacy is the popular acceptance of an authority, usually a governing law or a régime. Whereas "authority" denotes a specific position in an established government, the term "legitimacy" denotes a system of government — wherein "government" denotes "sphere of influence"."

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm not mad or anything like that, but why is Pikachu #3 on this tier list? I'm genuinely curious.

I personally think that he's a good character, but putting him above the likes of Rosalina, Sonic, Luigi, and Ness is seriously pushing it. I'd love to hear a good argument that goes beyond "ESAM does well with him." ESAM could take almost any character in this game and make people believe that said character should be multiple tiers higher.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
It's most likely NAKAT, as he has gotten really far in tournanments using Ness, and has one a few with him. Personally, I see Ness as a high B tier.
Every Ness I have seen that is not played by NAKAT, Awestin or FOW gets 2 stocked or is at brutal disadvantage on regular basis. They are no different from the Ness players in For Glory. Ness is hard as hell to play anyways.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Who's to say its not official? Did we hire scientists to do research on this? Or do you only listen to tourney goers?
There is no such thing as an official list. Its just speculation. And that speculation changes based on the general public's understanding of the game as it progresses. If it was official wouldn't it be from the creators of the game? Do you know what official means?
Official: "authorized or issued authoritatively." You're definitely not wrong in stating that a tier list is a form of speculation. However, "official" is synonymous with "authority" and I would argue that a list in which anyone can vote is hardly authoritative. The people who could be considered to have authority in this game's competitive environment are not the creators as you suggested, but rather those with the most experience in a competitive setting(i.e. Zero), and this list has minimal input from them. Thus, little authority (except maybe amongst the casual public, which means nothing). A tier list is formed based on knowledge, experience, and perception. That's why there are back rooms for respective games - so the most knowledgeable people can form tier lists based more on experience and understanding; a public list is bound to be more influenced by perception.

Also, as mentioned earlier, it's a very early metagame. Things are constantly changing and there's very little empirical data in regards to character performance (besides the obvious fact that Diddy is dominating right now). Once things have settled a bit we might start seeing more attempts at authoritative tier lists.

tl;dr: Is this list decent and relatively accurate? I suppose so. Official? Eh, not really at all.

nOPE™

Smash Rookie
I'm not mad or anything like that, but why is Pikachu #3 on this tier list? I'm genuinely curious.

I personally think that he's a good character, but putting him above the likes of Rosalina, Sonic, Luigi, and Ness is seriously pushing it. I'd love to hear a good argument that goes beyond "ESAM does well with him." ESAM could take almost any character in this game and make people believe that said character should be multiple tiers higher.

I am curious too and I am even maining Pikachu for now.

Here some opinions that I have seen:

1. A few months ago ZeRo posted a Pikachu video and stated that he feels Pikachu is in the top three, tied with Diddy.

2. A few months ago Nakat stated that he thinks Pikachu is in the top 5 in his Pikachu tutorial video.

3. I think Jtails thought highly of Pikachu as well, I don’t recall where he placed him (probably in his tutorial video as well).

These opinions were early in the game's life (I mean we're still early, but they came earlier than now) so who knows what they think, and it's all opinions of course and anything can change.

There were other instances were people thought highly of Pikachu and theorized that when the meta is hashed out more he will be more attractive… or something like that. Which is why he is not used as much in tournaments aside from Esam who retired…?? They seem to like his combo ability and the options he has to follow through off the ledge and recover (I think).

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
How interesting. The same people that overrate Ness are the same people that overrate Pikachu. Well, NAKAT gets a pass on the Ness hype, becuase he plays Ness and most Ness's get wrecked.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Because his kit is insanely good when you look at it. He's fast, and has good frame data both on the air in the ground which makes him hard to punish. His small hitbox means that a lot of moves straight up cannot hit him when he's on the ground. He gets 30%+ from a grab. He has the best gimping in the game and is probably the hardest to gimp aside from Villager. He has the tools to either camp you with QACing and tjolts or he can scrap up close because of his frame data. He has a good advantaged state but more importantly he probably has the best disadvantaged state in the game.

QACing is what makes him top 3 though. Even standard QA is so good and can be hard to punish if used correctly. Another thing about Pika that people look over is that he's good on every stage. You can't ban him out stage-wise because he gets something good on most of them. Platforms give him so much QAC points. Slopes and slants help his tjolts, and big stages like FD help his camping and make standard QA harded to punish.

His difficulty KOing onstage is somewhat cancelled out by having the best offstage game. His only true weakness is lack of range. He's also harder to play than characters like Diddy. People are discouraged from exploring Pika when they can just pick up Diddy and win with less effort.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So guys, I noticed a major formatting error on the list, but don't worry I fixed it, this is how the list actually looks.
S:yeahboi::yeahboi:
A:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
B:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
C:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
D:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
E:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
F:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
G:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
H:4diddy:

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
So we've finally got the first draft!

Just in time for another balance patch.

Browny

Smash Hater
Balance patches incoming in patch 1.0.6.

RIP this list.

RIP every tier list with them balancing it this often.

WyrmJaw

Smash Rookie
+1 - DeDeDe, Yes, he lost the D-air and his F-Smash doesn't deal with projectiles anymore, but I don't think the king deserves to be bottom tier, he's still very viable with the Back air and Down smash.

andimidna

Smash Master
List seems heavily based off general consensus/ mid level opinion. And for that, it's great.
And for a community voted tier list, likely the best.
Just wish it seemed to consider potential a little more, and showed less outdated opinions. (Lucario, Peach, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Palutena to name some that stand out imo)
Great job guys, I hope to contribute more than the like what, 2 times I did for the last one? Yea, so that'll probably be soon right?

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
im glad another balance patch is coming. now diddy kong can get nerfed and sheik can get slightly nerfed. I hope other characters get buffed like Zelda, charizard, samus, marth, lucina, g&w, king dedede and a few other characters.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I wonder how much the new patch will change this list. Hoping Lucas and Mewtwo are both pretty high up too when the time comes. :4lucas::4mewtwo:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
If Lucas is in low tier again I will be upset.

I hope he has easy-peazy uptilt into uptilt combos like Mario and Fox though :denzel:

Nah but looking at his gameplay, he at least has a good recovery. Not as gimpable as Ness, multihit, doesn't disappear, etc. Tether is long, too. Having a solid recovery in this game is usually a good sign. I speculate he'll at the LEAST be low mid tier unless his kill power is just abysmal like Samus

But yeah, really hoping some characters with obvious tools missing (Doc, Samus, WFT, Lucina, GW, D3, Jr) get some buffs and the characters with dumb/toxic options (SONIC, Diddy, Rosa, Sheik, ZSS) get minor nerfs.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
so what's going to happen with this once new fighters get added? revote or something?

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
If Lucas is in low tier again I will be upset.

I hope he has easy-peazy uptilt into uptilt combos like Mario and Fox though :denzel:

Nah but looking at his gameplay, he at least has a good recovery. Not as gimpable as Ness, multihit, doesn't disappear, etc. Tether is long, too. Having a solid recovery in this game is usually a good sign. I speculate he'll at the LEAST be low mid tier unless his kill power is just abysmal like Samus

But yeah, really hoping some characters with obvious tools missing (Doc, Samus, WFT, Lucina, GW, D3, Jr) get some buffs and the characters with dumb/toxic options (SONIC, Diddy, Rosa, Sheik, ZSS) get minor nerfs.
Spin Dash spam= you're screwed

Browny

Smash Hater
so what's going to happen with this once new fighters get added? revote or something?
It depends how often its patched.

If there is a new patch incoming in June when Lucas releases, then we can expect a patch when the smash ballot character releases too. Considering it took 4 months to do this, if balance patches come out every 3 months then theres just no point in doing this anymore.

I actually really like balance patching its the best thing there can be, but for the generation of tier lists, it makes life hard.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Verison 2.0 will involve customs which is happening in 4 months.

Also yeah I agree. Doc is rated way too low cause people be like Docs recovery sux or Docs slower then mario. I mean I wouldn't say he should be placed with mario but bottom tier imo is a bit to much for doc.
I really hope it doesn't happen this way. I've said this before:

We NEED separate voted tier lists for customs and no customs. Even if every tournament ever from now on allows customs, it is still a great idea to rate characters without customs both for Smash tradition reasons and the ability to say "this character gets a lot better/worse with customs". It is really important that 2.0 continues the work we put in on 1.0 by having separate lists that aren't clouded by a switch to customs.

We can either make a separate thread with the same rules (better idea) or we can vote for two things at once in this thread. Whatever it is, there must be two.

I'd like to also say that I agree that there are too many tiers. The lower characters really aren't "low" in this game.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
I really hope it doesn't happen this way. I've said this before:

We NEED separate voted tier lists for customs and no customs. Even if every tournament ever from now on allows customs, it is still a great idea to rate characters without customs both for Smash tradition reasons and the ability to say "this character gets a lot better/worse with customs". It is really important that 2.0 continues the work we put in on 1.0 by having separate lists that aren't clouded by a switch to customs.

We can either make a separate thread with the same rules (better idea) or we can vote for two things at once in this thread. Whatever it is, there must be two.

I'd like to also say that I agree that there are too many tiers. The lower characters really aren't "low" in this game.

I agree with that having a separated tier list for customs and no customs would be a great idea since not all tournies like C.E.0 will be allowing custom moves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom