• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
In all honesty, I feel like there shouldn't be a tier lower than E for this cast. This game would actually balanced, and most of the characters thrive when they are used at their best.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Only the Miis are considered with customs.
Why is Brawler the only one high up there when Gunner's good with customs on, too? Why just the Miis and not Palutena who was also designed around customs?

Anyways, I'm almost 100% sure this list wasn't supposed to take customs into consideration at all. No idea why people keep saying it was.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
:4miibrawl: is both fast and powerful no matter what customs he has, that's probably why he's so high.
Without customs his recovery is horrible and very easy to gimp (Feint Jump helps a lot in that regard), and he misses out on his best/safest kill option, Helicopter Kick, as well as Ultimate Uppercut. It's true that he has very powerful Smash Attacks, but they're slow and have poor range so he has trouble landing them.

Go ask Dapuffster about 1111 Mii Brawler and he'll tell you why his position on this tier-list is inaccurate.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4miibrawl: is both fast and powerful no matter what customs he has, that's probably why he's so high.
Default Brawler 1111? No, not true at all. With Axe Kick Brawler sucks and is easier to gimp than Ganon and Doc. F-Throw or B-Throw, a projectile or Fair, done. He is dead. Plus, he doesn't have access to Helicopter Kick, Piston Punch and Shoryuken. His smashes are all slow and predictable.

Kitt Geekazaru

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-3655-0022
The standard for Miis is and always has been custom moves on, as even with customs selected to off, Miis can use alternate moves. It's how the game was created and how it is meant to be.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
The standard for Miis is and always has been custom moves on, as even with customs selected to off, Miis can use alternate moves. It's how the game was created and how it is meant to be.
That's not how it is in tournament. Miis are almost always restricted just like the rest of the cast. Though there have been a few cases where they, as well as Palutena, have been allowed to use 1111/2222/3333 movesets.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Without customs his recovery is horrible and very easy to gimp (Feint Jump helps a lot in that regard), and he misses out on his best/safest kill option, Helicopter Kick, as well as Ultimate Uppercut. It's true that he has very powerful Smash Attacks, but they're slow and have poor range so he has trouble landing them.

Go ask Dapuffster about 1111 Mii Brawler and he'll tell you why his position on this tier-list is inaccurate.
Alright lemme tell u something about Custom 2122 Mii Brawler. He is a top tier character at low %, he has high damaging Helicopter Kick combos and a kill move from a d-throw near the ledge from 40% to 60%. If his opponents get past 60%, his main weakness comes into play as he struggles to find ways to kill you and can't combo from his d-throw anymore.

HIS MAIN WEAKNESS IS HAVING THE SAME KILL OPTIONS AS 1111 BRAWLER (actually even then he still has more kill options than him)

Take away Helicopter Kick and now he can't even do damaging combos anymore, none of his throws lead into kill moves anymore. What can he kill with? Onslaught at 115% but hitting the opponents shield results in a heavy punish due to the insanely long cooldown on it. F-smash is butt it only hits on Frame 17, and d-smash and u-smash are slow and weak. None of his throws kill and none of his aerials kill, so shielding and staying in the air make you practically impossible to kill. At least you can still kill with Ultimate Upper...wait no you don't have that either.

Oh, right, you lost Feint Jump too have fun not recovering. Speaking of recovering, you know whats a bad move? Axe Kick. You know, that move that DOESN'T SNAP TO THE LEDGE? Talk about easy edge guarding.

Head-on-assault....sigh, what a useless move, it buries the opponents who will get out before you can do anything, but don't worry, even if you do get to do a smash attack on them, the bury effect reduces knockback, so don't expect to kill from it any time soon, perhaps wait for them to pop into the air and hit them with an aerial? Oh wait, his air attacks don't kill.

As 1111, this character has so many flaws I'm really surprised he's not considered worse than Mii Swordfighter.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Can't really say I can take this tier list seriously, but at least it gives a good average of what the users around here think of the characters in this game.

Though the way of doing tiers isn't completely accurate, I don't think gathering votes from other users like this is the way to go either for an accurate tier list. Too many voters involved can create some funky results, particularly with bias from users based on their mains and a character's popularity.

IMO:
Wario, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt Doge, Dark Pit, and Meta Knight are too low.
Robin, Shulk, Falcon, Lucario and Brawler (unless he's at 2122) are too high.

Oh well, at least this is nice to have as far as data goes.

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
Why is Brawler the only one high up there when Gunner's good with customs on, too? Why just the Miis and not Palutena who was also designed around customs?

Anyways, I'm almost 100% sure this list wasn't supposed to take customs into consideration at all. No idea why people keep saying it was.
If I remember correctly, the OP stated somewhere in these 58 pages of comments that Mii Fighters are customs on in this tier list. Dunno about the gunner though

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Poor Doc. Someday people will realize just how good you can be.
Now question is, who's gonna make a Custom tier list? That's what people wanna see.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
It was never stated in the OP that Miis should be restricted to 1111. This is why Brawler is in the middle instead of the top or bottom. Because there was no consensus on the ruleset, this tier list is basically invalidated.

Using Apex rules is really scrubby and outdated, anyway.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
Poor Doc. Someday people will realize just how good you can be.
Now question is, who's gonna make a Custom tier list? That's what people wanna see.
Verison 2.0 will involve customs which is happening in 4 months.

Also yeah I agree. Doc is rated way too low cause people be like Docs recovery sux or Docs slower then mario. I mean I wouldn't say he should be placed with mario but bottom tier imo is a bit to much for doc.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Verison 2.0 will involve customs which is happening in 4 months.

Also yeah I agree. Doc is rated way too low cause people be like Docs recovery sux or Docs slower then mario. I mean I wouldn't say he should be placed with mario but bottom tier imo is a bit to much for doc.
Sweet. I'm calling it now, Mario and Lucario will be top tier.
I definitely wouldn't place Doc with Mario, but if Mario is B tier then I'd say Doc is C.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Even though there is a lot of class rankings, I would say that this tier list is just ok with it's rankings. There are some changes that I would make to it.
I don't see Luigi as an "A" tier yet. He's gotten a lot of representation in tournaments, but I feel like he should be in B tier with his bro. From what I've seen and what I've played, Mega Man and Wario both should be in B tier. I would say that if used right, Mega Man's zoning is even better than Villager. After APEX and various other tournaments, I am convinced that Wario is a lot better than he looks.

Doc is very underrated, and is WAY better than G tier. Same with the default Gunner.

Little Mac should be about 2 places higher, considering the fact that he kinda wrecks most of the characters that are in the same group as him.

Bowser Jr. has so many combos and kill setups that I am not even sure why he isn't top of D tier AT LEAST.

As for the rest of the cast, I am not too sure about where to place them. I stated this before, but I don't think there needs to be a ranking lower than E for this cast. Most of the characters are pretty viable this time around.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Honestly, Lucario is mediocre compared to the cast; he relies on his Aura Damage building up just to try and get KOs, meaning that his KO moves aren't even KO moves until a certain damage. He's also got one of the riskiest recoveries, the most punishable recovery, terrible attack power and bad aerials. I mean, him being that viable just doesn't sit right with me. Same goes with Shulk and Olimar; they just seem bad compared to the others in the cast.

This whole list is terribly inaccurate in my honest opinion. Even with such a massive amount of votes, this list still happens to be very inaccurate of the metagame or anything as of yet. Some of the characters haven't even seen enough time in the limelight in tournaments yet (especially Link, who'll just get yet another under-developed metagame because why not?), so we shouldn't start making a list like this until very accurate results come back.

I understand it's community based, but sometimes, there needs to be consideration.

Browny

Smash Hater
I am going to give a waiting period of between 3-4 weeks after mewtwo is out and there will be one round of voting on where to put her.

Thats right, her :) lol

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
pika pi ka chu pika pika ( yoshi up 1 Zelda down 1)
We have finished voting 3 days ago. What you see their is the final result, that is until mewtwo comes out in which we have to
vote for him/her(man mewtwo could be anything) to be in the list for 3-4 weeks. We'll also be starting verison 2.0 in 4 months.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
We have finished voting 3 days ago. What you see their is the final result, that is until mewtwo comes out in which we have to
vote for him/her(man mewtwo could be anything) to be in the list for 3-4 weeks. We'll also be starting verison 2.0 in 4 months.
pika (ok)

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that I find the Japanese tier list more generally accurate, because their meta involves a more wide-use of characters while the western meta is very top-tier based. But even then, I don't agree with the order of A-tier on this list.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
Marth/Lucina placement is really bugging me on that tier list. Other than that I kinda agree with it for the most part.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
...particularly with bias from users based on their mains and a character's popularity.
I still highly value the data collected by these lists, but I see too much of this happening way too much. You all can't possibly think that your character is either top tier or underrated? Obviously if you didn't do that I'm not talking to you and this is mainly a rhetorical question.

It just feeds into skepticism about the lists themselves and results in more and more logical people being less interested in helping make these. This can be a cyclical issue, for sure.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Marth/Lucina placement is really bugging me on that tier list. Other than that I kinda agree with it for the most part.
I feel the same way about your thoughts of Marth and Lucina. Along with Meta Knight, Marth/Lucina is easily the most slept on character right now. All they hear is the nerfs from Brawl and everyone is automatically assuming Marth is bottom tier.

Last edited:

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
Somebody who has a SmashWiki account, please consider updating the site with this TL, since the Smashboards one is considered the "Official".
This is an unofficial list. It doesn't say it in the title anymore but it's not yet considered to be legitimate. People are hoping it will evolve into that though.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
It's honestly a decent tier list for what it is. We need to consider the following:

-the meta for Smash 4 is developing slowly due to people bandwagoning, sleeping on certain characters, and generally following a very conservative mindset about it (backwards if you ask me IMO but that is not the point)
-this was made by the users of these boards, mainly for the users of these boards
-we did this in a 4 month time frame, which is not a very long amount of time factoring in that the meta has been so conservative
-this list is arguably a decent follow up to the Reddit-posted list as well as already much more agreeable than EventHubs' equivalent
-THIS IS ONLY THE VERY FIRST LIST FOR A GAME THAT WILL LAST 5+ YEARS AND WILL HAVE MORE LISTS IN THE FUTURE SO SERIOUSLY CALM DOWN

Yes this list is not perfect, but for something we didn't even have concrete rules for, 4 months in, this was a good effort. Let's instead of furthering the negative stigma plaguing our community, commend ourselves and our fellow Smashers for putting together a decent preliminary list.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I'm not sure I'm feeling Ness being so high up there. The kid has good aerials and baits, and that back throw (Mmmm), but he lacks range to really get in and deal damage in some match ups.

Last edited:

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
It's honestly a decent tier list for what it is. We need to consider the following:

-the meta for Smash 4 is developing slowly due to people bandwagoning, sleeping on certain characters, and generally following a very conservative mindset about it (backwards if you ask me IMO but that is not the point)
-this was made by the users of these boards, mainly for the users of these boards
-we did this in a 4 month time frame, which is not a very long amount of time factoring in that the meta has been so conservative
-this list is arguably a decent follow up to the Reddit-posted list as well as already much more agreeable than EventHubs' equivalent
-THIS IS ONLY THE VERY FIRST LIST FOR A GAME THAT WILL LAST 5+ YEARS AND WILL HAVE MORE LISTS IN THE FUTURE SO SERIOUSLY CALM DOWN

Yes this list is not perfect, but for something we didn't even have concrete rules for, 4 months in, this was a good effort. Let's instead of furthering the negative stigma plaguing our community, commend ourselves and our fellow Smashers for putting together a decent preliminary list.
couldn't have said it better myself

Top Bottom