• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So after about a week and a half since it first released, I finally got the chance to see Star Wars Episode VII, and I can attest that it was an amazing movie. I know I'm a little late, but I thought like what many did when they first saw the movie, I would post my thoughts. Be warned, there are spoilers for those that still haven't seen the movie (if you haven't watched it, you should seriously consider doing so soon; it's really worth your time), so I enclosed it in a spoilers tag!

Finn and Rey were awesome characters. They both had their moments in their fight scenes, and I can't wait to see more of them in action further into the trilogy. With Finn, I found his interactions with Han Solo made for some of the funniest scenes in the movie. With Rey, I somewhat expected she was capable of the Force (something about her seemed really special about her when she was first revealed), though I can't wait to see her use if more in the next two movies. Also, potential romance between Finn and Rey hinted at the ending when Rey kissed the injured Finn's forehead?

Also, I absolutely loved the scene when Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Finn overpower Phasma; I grinned because it was so satisfying to see them overpower a very-high-in-position commander of the First Order like Phasma (kind of wish we got to more of Phasma in the movie though; she was pretty badass).

Kylo Ren is definitely an interesting character, one that is being hyped up for a pretty interesting backstory that we will learn more about in the coming movies. And good lord, the temper! He's even more violent than his grandfather. Did I say grandfather. Yeah, I was shocked to learn he's Han Solo and Leia's son, thus making Darth Vader his grandfather and Luke his uncle. I remember joking to myself that Ren was related to the Skywalkers when I saw one of the earlier trailers, as I knew I had to be open to other possibilities. Welp, looks my initial joke was true, all of it (pun intended). A part of me felt bad for Ren because of what has happened to him, another part was mad at him for killing Han Solo. On that thought, I almost cried when Han Solo died. That scene was really powerful.

And Kylo Ren vs Rey was quite the suspenseful fight. I felt like the fissure was a sort of a "cut-off" to the battle, as it was its way of saying "That's enough for now; just wait until the next two movies; it gets better." Seriously, both are still rather inexperienced with their light saber skills, and now that Ren will be sent back to Snoke for recovery and training while Luke will train Rey? Oh man, the Ren vs Rey rematch will be epic, no doubt that.

I really want to know more about Snoke though; he's becoming the Emperor Palpatine of the new trilogy, and I have a feeling we are in for some big details about him as we delve further into the trilogy.

And finally, the ending. I honestly thought Luke Skywalker wasn't going to appear in this movie, but rather Episode VIII or even IX. Well, I'm happy to see he appeared in the ending; can't wait to see what he will do further into the trilogy. Also, the ending gave me thoughts that Rey and Luke could be related. We still don't know much about Rey's past, though that little girl during the visions scene looked a lot like her; perhaps that specific vision was when Luke left her? On one hand, it makes sense since the visions relate to Luke's memories; on the other hand, if they were related, how come they didn't recognize each other in a way like it was a family reunion? Perhaps they aren't related, but I won't be surprised if they really are; it will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

And with that, it's time to wait for May 2017. I can't wait to see what this sequel trilogy will become!

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I hope this game will have more than just Sonic as a playable character. I want to play as Tails, Knuckles and Shadow. Or even Blaze or Espio. I'm tired of just being Sonic.

Basically, Sonic Heroes 2 plz Sega.
Sounds more pointing to a Classic Sonic game than anything else.

Personally, I really did not enjoy Sonic Heroes. Thought the game had a lot of issues. And I feel going back to that direction isn't gonna help the franchise.

I'm okay with being more than just Sonic, but I really hope they don't go overboard and add too many playable characters. There is already too much to balance for a platformer like Sonic already as it is. I want Sonic to be simple again. Not bloated.

EDIT: I think Sega needs to finally settle on a proper gameplay style first. They had with the boost formula but then they ditched it. (I'm going to assume its too high budgeted or too time consuming to be feasible anymore. If you think about it, that formula required making longggg maps to make up for the intense speed combined with the fact each and every area is visually detailed.)

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So after about a week and a half since it first released, I finally got the chance to see Star Wars Episode VII, and I can attest that it was an amazing movie. I know I'm a little late, but I thought like what many did when they first saw the movie, I would post my thoughts. Be warned, there are spoilers for those that still haven't seen the movie (if you haven't watched it, you should seriously consider doing so soon; it's really worth your time), so I enclosed it in a spoilers tag!

Finn and Rey were awesome characters. They both had their moments in their fight scenes, and I can't wait to see more of them in action further into the trilogy. With Finn, I found his interactions with Han Solo made for some of the funniest scenes in the movie. With Rey, I somewhat expected she was capable of the Force (something about her seemed really special about her when she was first revealed), though I can't wait to see her use if more in the next two movies. Also, potential romance between Finn and Rey hinted at the ending when Rey kissed the injured Finn's forehead?

Also, I absolutely loved the scene when Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Finn overpower Phasma; I grinned because it was so satisfying to see them overpower a very-high-in-position commander of the First Order like Phasma (kind of wish we got to more of Phasma in the movie though; she was pretty badass).

Kylo Ren is definitely an interesting character, one that is being hyped up for a pretty interesting backstory that we will learn more about in the coming movies. And good lord, the temper! He's even more violent than his grandfather. Did I say grandfather. Yeah, I was shocked to learn he's Han Solo and Leia's son, thus making Darth Vader his grandfather and Luke his uncle. I remember joking to myself that Ren was related to the Skywalkers when I saw one of the earlier trailers, as I knew I had to be open to other possibilities. Welp, looks my initial joke was true, all of it (pun intended). A part of me felt bad for Ren because of what has happened to him, another part was mad at him for killing Han Solo. On that thought, I almost cried when Han Solo died. That scene was really powerful.

And Kylo Ren vs Rey was quite the suspenseful fight. I felt like the fissure was a sort of a "cut-off" to the battle, as it was its way of saying "That's enough for now; just wait until the next two movies; it gets better." Seriously, both are still rather inexperienced with their light saber skills, and now that Ren will be sent back to Snoke for recovery and training while Luke will train Rey? Oh man, the Ren vs Rey rematch will be epic, no doubt that.

I really want to know more about Snoke though; he's becoming the Emperor Palpatine of the new trilogy, and I have a feeling we are in for some big details about him as we delve further into the trilogy.

And finally, the ending. I honestly thought Luke Skywalker wasn't going to appear in this movie, but rather Episode VIII or even IX. Well, I'm happy to see he appeared in the ending; can't wait to see what he will do further into the trilogy. Also, the ending gave me thoughts that Rey and Luke could be related. We still don't know much about Rey's past, though that little girl during the visions scene looked a lot like her; perhaps that specific vision was when Luke left her? On one hand, it makes sense since the visions relate to Luke's memories; on the other hand, if they were related, how come they didn't recognize each other in a way like it was a family reunion? Perhaps they aren't related, but I won't be surprised if they really are; it will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

And with that, it's time to wait for May 2017. I can't wait to see what this sequel trilogy will become!
Speaking of Finn...
He's totally related to Lando :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
@Swampasaur
Ridley
Samus
Kraid
Dark Samus
Rundas

Personally, I really did not enjoy Sonic Heroes. Thought the game had a lot of issues. And I feel going back to that direction isn't gonna help the franchise.

I'm okay with being more than just Sonic, but I really hope they don't go overboard and add too many playable characters. There is already too much to balance for a platformer like Sonic already as it is. I want Sonic to be simple again. Not bloated.

EDIT: I think Sega needs to finally settle on a proper gameplay style first. They had with the boost formula but then they ditched it. (I'm going to assume its too high budgeted or too time consuming to be feasible anymore. If you think about it, that formula required making longggg maps to make up for the intense speed combined with the fact each and every area is visually detailed.)
SEGA proves how innovation isn't always good, as they keep changing it all the time. Personally, I think a Classic game with the level design of the classic games would be good, though a game similar to the Adventure games but fine-tuned would certainly be welcome

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

You know I'll never understand why SEGA ditched the Modern Sonic style. It was perfect.
I still would prefer a refined version of the Adventure style, but accomplished what it was trying to do...which was be really ****ing fast, all the time.

They say that type of game is difficult to produce, but I think it pays off.

A Soul Calibur character I could see happening as well. Probably Siegfried seeing as he's been the main protag of most of the games. Nightmare is probably in contention with that slot, but with all the third party reps being protags so far, I'd be surprised to get the villain first, then the protag.
Nightmare IS Siegfried, though.
Nightmare is Siegfried after getting Soul Edge, and fights exactly the same as him. In Soulcalibur 2, both of Nightmare's alternate costumes are Siegfried.

As for the latter bit, that doesn't apply to Soulcalibur. Like Tekken, the main protagonist isn't the face of the series, it's the antagonist. For Tekken it's Heihachi, and for Soulcalibur it's Nightmare.
I mean, he was even Project Soul's logo (Namco's Soulcalibur development team).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know I'll never understand why SEGA ditched the Modern Sonic style. It was perfect.
As good as it was, it actually wasn't perfect (it was more difficult to incorporate exploration and platforming and Sonic controls weird when he isn't going fast), and people would get tired of it.

I personally think the Lost World gameplay style is the best base style for 3D Sonic (or Adventure, but they won't do that). Just refine it a little, and don't fill specific levels with gimmicks like the snowball level.

D

Deleted member

Star Wars Spoilers
I have to say, I really, really hope they don't hook up Finn and Rey at the end
I really liked how they were just friends and it always bothers me when movies pair together the two main characters just for the sake of it

PHASMA COULD HAVE BEEN THE "TRAITOR!" STORMTROOPER BUT NOPE, LET'S PUT A RANDOM MOOK DO THAT SCENE

I like that they didn't try to hide Ren's relation to use it as the reveal, 5 minutes into the movie and we already get hints that he's a Skywalker and then Snoke casually says it later
I was damn surprised even though I wasn't technically supposed to be
Kylo Ren has easily become one of my favorite characters from the Star Wars Universe and without counting the EU, I would say he only loses to Prequel Trilogy Obi-Wan imo

The fissure is what saved Rey actually
If it didn't happen, she would have killed Kylo Ren in anger and would have entered the path to the Dark Side
Actually, the only reason I thinl she became so powerful so quickly is because she used her emotions
Which would make our protagonist someone who thinks she's a Jedi but is drawn by the Dark Side and the bad guy is someone who thinks he's a Sith but is drawn by the Light Side

Mark Hamil had been cast for this film tho :p
I don't know how they would excuse Luke being Rey's father
She's about the same age as Ren I believe and that would mean she was abandoned around sometime when Luke started to train the New Jedi Order(which ended faster the first lol)
Speaking of Finn...
He's totally related to Lando :p
And Lando is Mace Windu's son
You know, because they're like, the only black guys in the entire galaxy? :p

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Star Wars Spoilers
I have to say, I really, really hope they don't hook up Finn and Rey at the end
I really liked how they were just friends and it always bothers me when movies pair together the two main characters just for the sake of it

PHASMA COULD HAVE BEEN THE "TRAITOR!" STORMTROOPER BUT NOPE, LET'S PUT A RANDOM MOOK DO THAT SCENE

I like that they didn't try to hide Ren's relation to use it as the reveal, 5 minutes into the movie and we already get hints that he's a Skywalker and then Snoke casually says it later
I was damn surprised even though I wasn't technically supposed to be
Kylo Ren has easily become one of my favorite characters from the Star Wars Universe and without counting the EU, I would say he only loses to Prequel Trilogy Obi-Wan imo

The fissure is what saved Rey actually
If it didn't happen, she would have killed Kylo Ren in anger and would have entered the path to the Dark Side
Actually, the only reason I thinl she became so powerful so quickly is because she used her emotions
Which would make our protagonist someone who thinks she's a Jedi but is drawn by the Dark Side and the bad guy is someone who thinks he's a Sith but is drawn by the Light Side

Mark Hamil had been cast for this film tho :p
I don't know how they would excuse Luke being Rey's father
She's about the same age as Ren I believe and that would mean she was abandoned around sometime when Luke started to train the New Jedi Order(which ended faster the first lol)

And Lando is Mace Windu's son
You know, because they're like, the only black guys in the entire galaxy? :p
I'm one of those guys who kinda hope they do survive and hook up in the end but I can totally see one of them dying at the end of the trilogy, something that isn't the "happily ever after" sort of ending VI was; something bittersweet ya know?

Last edited:

Naoshi

As good as it was, it actually wasn't perfect (it was more difficult to incorporate exploration and platforming and Sonic controls weird when he isn't going fast), and people would get tired of it.

I personally think the Lost World gameplay style is the best base style for 3D Sonic (or Adventure, but they won't do that). Just refine it a little, and don't fill specific levels with gimmicks like the snowball level.
Lost World feels a bit too experimental for my taste. It's a good gameplay style from the concept, but it's not something I'm too comfortable to be the staple formula. Mainly due to it being the slowest of the styles and then there's the run button (Not criticizing the game for that, but not something I want for a main formula). On the other hand, I would not mind just one more game using that concept provided if they refine the formula a bit more and make the level design and the general game design coherent and well thought out.

However, I do think one thing a main formula can have from LW's is the parkour element. I do think that has lots of potential for a Sonic title provided if done very well.

@Swampasaur
Ridley
Samus
Kraid
Dark Samus
Rundas

SEGA proves how innovation isn't always good, as they keep changing it all the time. Personally, I think a Classic game with the level design of the classic games would be good, though a game similar to the Adventure games but fine-tuned would certainly be welcome
Yeah, I have absolutely no complaints if their 25th anniversary game is a pure classic Sonic game. May not be something that sticks around anymore, but it's an established formula and one that many people can just jump into.

I really think they should make sub series of Classic 2D Sonic games at this point. I feel a proper new classic game is overdue. The last one we had is technically Sonic Advance 1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact you lose complete speed when you hit left or right at all in Sonic Lost World and how linear the game is, not only that, but how jank the jump mechanics are and the enemy placement being a nuisance, I personally find nothing redeemable about the game. I'd much rather they focus on something that actually has depth to it like Sonic Generations Modern Sonic, or if they can't do that due to time and costs to make such a game, take Adventure style gameplay which has a lot of depth to it as well and make a new game out of it. I like being able to actually control a character the way I wish, and anytime a Sonic game is severely lacking in that (Lost World, Secret Rings, Black Knight) then it fails on everything Sonic stands for and everything that makes his gameplay great.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Lost World
>Slowest Sonic game

How to separate speedrunners from casuals 101 :V

Even on a casual level though, Lost World isn't '06.

-------------

I found Dark Mako again.

Screenshot_2015-12-30-14-35-35.png

Naoshi

>Lost World
>Slowest Sonic game

How to separate speedrunners from casuals 101 :V

Even on a casual level though, Lost World isn't '06.
Uh

...It was pretty clear I was speaking of the formula. Completely different argument.

Yes, Sonic 06 is slower than Lost Worlds, but I did not count that because it's part of the Adventure formula. I consider the Adventure formula quicker because of SA1/SA2.

Lost World's formula is built around the slowish speed in mind. But of course, I guess it is possible to make it quicker, but that's probably debatable.

To me, there are several mainline formulas at the moment: Classic, Adventure, Boost, Lost World. Of those 4, LW is the slowest one of the bunch. If we go game by game basis, then yeah 06 is the slowest, no doubt.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

You Shulk mains will appreciate this.

Hell, non-Shulk mains too.
That vision edit was sexy. I've been playing more Shulk recently myself (I had been focusing on my other mains), but I got this clip last night:

After that, I knew I wasn't going to get a better game for the night and drew this picture on the miiverse community. I thought it came out pretty good for someone who can't draw too well...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Uh

...It was pretty clear I was speaking of the formula. Completely different argument.

Yes, Sonic 06 is slower than Lost Worlds, but I did not count that because it's part of the Adventure formula. I consider the Adventure formula quicker because of SA1/SA2.

Lost World's formula is built around the slowish speed in mind. But of course, I guess it is possible to make it quicker, but that's probably debatable.

To me, there are several mainline formulas at the moment: Classic, Adventure, Boost, Lost World. Of those 4, LW is the slowest one of the bunch. If we go game by game basis, then yeah 06 is the slowest, no doubt.
Considering SA2 is also slower than Lost World, I still think that's a poor argument.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Interesting... The Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion topic on SmashBoards is slowly getting attention again after a long hiatus (though most posts are from people with barely any post counts) and one stating there's a side tournemant of the game.

Kinda having urges to play that game again.

Naoshi

If we're adding speedruns then I guess I'll add a random SA2 speedrun I found. The sense of speed is far more noticeable here.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If we're adding speedruns then I guess I'll add a random SA2 speedrun I found. The sense of speed is far more noticeable here.
The only point where the sense of speed ever exceeds Lost World's there is during automated sections.

Which is not a good thing. It's why I don't like SA2 very much.

Naoshi

The only point where the sense of speed ever exceeds Lost World's there is during automated sections.

Which is not a good thing. It's why I don't like SA2 very much.
What about the spindash + grind rails part where Sonic picked up speed and kept it? I wasn't even speaking about the automated sections.

Just to make sure, do you consider SA1 faster than Lost Worlds?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What about the spindash + grind rails part where Sonic picked up speed and kept it? I wasn't even speaking about the automated sections.

Just to make sure, do you consider SA1 faster than Lost Worlds?
Yeah, SA1 is faster. But that's not why I like it better than SA2 or Lost World.

Speed isn't what Sonic games are all about.

D

Deleted member

Green Forest and Metal Harbor are pretty fast, but even if (I don't remember) if Lost World is faster than Sonic Adventure 2, that's only because the game is overly linear and there's no real depth to moving around. It's faster only because you aren't able to turn well and they don't do different paths very well which in all honesty is just pseudo speed at that point for comparisons sake.

Naoshi

So why are we arguing about the speed of Sonic games again?

I mean, as long as it isn't Sonic Labyrinth it should be all good right?
IDK he was cherry picking my post for some reason lol

Yeah, SA1 is faster. But that's not why I like it better than SA2 or Lost World.

Speed isn't what Sonic games are all about.
Then what is even the point of this argument? The fastest game of the Adventure formula is still faster than Lost World.

Anyways, my point is that Sonic Lost World is still a slow and stiff game and I don't feel it's an ideal formula for Sonic as one of the reasons.

Sonic isn't all about speed, yes, momentum comes to play, but speed is important too as it is also Sonic's identity. Lost World hardly felt fast, even when it probably is, I can barely feel any sense of speed for the most part. A lot of the game just felt incredibly awkward for many reasons and the controls is one of them.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Final Rush in SA2 is a much longer level than majority of a lot of levels in Lost World and even Colors but how big the level is, the expansive pathways and the speed it brings is much more enjoyable and deeper than those levels.

Because those types of levels are good in the aspects of speed, platforming and skill

Something 3D Sonic hasn't had in a while or in years. Generations had only about of 2/3 of those in most cases and the only time it did have all 3 was in Crisis City, Sky Sanctuary and Chemical Plant

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
All I know is that Sonic's gotta go fast. So whenever I'm at a dead stop looking for whatever button or plot coupon I'm supposed to interact with next something is wrong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IDK he was cherry picking my post for some reason lol

Then what is even the point of this argument? The fastest game of the Adventure formula is still faster than Lost World.

Anyways, my point is that Sonic Lost World is still a slow and stiff game and I don't feel it's an ideal formula for Sonic as one of the reasons.

Sonic isn't all about speed, yes, momentum comes to play, but speed is important too as it is also Sonic's identity. Lost World hardly felt fast, even when it probably is, I can barely feel any sense of speed for the most part. A lot of the game just felt incredibly awkward for many reasons and the controls is one of them.
The controls are perfectly fine in Lost World.

The game does a poor job of telling you what they are yes, but they do work when you know the controls. They are explained a bit better in the leaflet packaged with the game than in the game itself.

When I said the Lost World formula is the best base, I meant in that it's basically the Adventure formula but with more depth. You have all of the major moves from Adventure as well as dynamic momentum and physics like those games, but then you have the parkour which actually benefits the flow of the game (because instead of Sonic coming to a dead stop when he bumps into platforms that go up to his knee, he vaults over them and things like that).

It could use some tweaking, but that's exactly what they would do with the next game anyway so I don't see why you got on my case about it being slow when it really isn't (btw that was you cherrypicking my post, not the other way around). If you think Lost World is slow, than that's your own fault for not being able to play it properly. Myself and many others find it just as good as the Adventure games in terms of speed (and it's better than SA2 anyway).

Lost World's major flaw wasn't speed or anything, it was that they kept deviating from the core gameplay in half of the levels to make you roll around in a snowball or something. That's something they can easily do away with though, and they probably will considering how many people hated that.

Green Forest and Metal Harbor are pretty fast, but even if (I don't remember) if Lost World is faster than Sonic Adventure 2, that's only because the game is overly linear and there's no real depth to moving around. It's faster only because you aren't able to turn well and they don't do different paths very well which in all honesty is just pseudo speed at that point for comparisons sake.
Now you're just flat out being blind.

Lost World was anything but linear. There are alternate paths everywhere. Tropical Coast 1 is the best example, you cannot play that level and tell me it's linear with a straight face.

What you're really describing is SA2.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The constant quality complaints of Sega's latest games staring their biggest mascot makes me really question why the heck so many people are still keeping hope of Sega returning to the console market.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My main issue with Lost World is why is that I have to press a button to go fast and hold an extra button to go faster?

How come I can't gradually gain speed and be rewarded with it.

Even the Unleashed/Generations gameplay let's you gain speed even when you're aren't even boosting, why does Lost World have to throw out something that's been with the series for over 20 YEARS just to do something unique.

D

Deleted member

Lost World was anything but linear. There are alternate paths everywhere. Tropical Coast 1 is the best example, you cannot play that level and tell me it's linear with a straight face.

What you're really describing is SA2.
Sorry, but the atrocity of Lost World can only be summed up as a pile of stinking garbage. SA2 has far more depth then Lost World could even begin to imagine. If I wanted to play a game where turning a direction is penalized and level design is a vast sea of death pits and mediocrity, I'd just play Sonic 2006 because least that game has an actual good OST.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My main issue with Lost World is why is that I have to press a button to go fast and hold an extra button to go faster?

How come I can't gradually gain speed and be rewarded with it.

Even the Unleashed/Generations gameplay let's you gain speed even when you're aren't even boosting, why does Lost World have to throw out something that's been with the series for over 20 YEARS just to do something unique.
You do gradually gain speed in Lost World. The functionality simply turns off in "walk mode" for those tricky platforming sections.

He is still effected by momentum in running/spindash mode.

Sorry, but the atrocity of Lost World can only be summed up as a pile of stinking garbage. SA2 has far more depth then Lost World could even begin to imagine. If I wanted to play a game where turning a direction is penalized and level design is a vast sea of death pits and mediocrity, I'd just play Sonic 2006 because least that game has an actual good OST.
You have to be trolling because you are literally describing SA2 and saying it's what Lost World is like.

In fact I am willing to bet you never played Lost World, since you said "it has bottomless pits everywhere".

The majority of the level design is like Super Mario Galaxy. You are stuck to a planet with it's own centre of gravity and can't fall off.

Last edited:

Naoshi

The controls are perfectly fine in Lost World.

The game does a poor job of telling you what they are yes, but they do work when you know the controls. They are explained a bit better in the leaflet packaged with the game than in the game itself.

When I said the Lost World formula is the best base, I meant in that it's basically the Adventure formula but with more depth. You have all of the major moves from Adventure as well as dynamic momentum and physics like those games, but then you have the parkour which actually benefits the flow of the game (because instead of Sonic coming to a dead stop when he bumps into platforms that go up to his knee, he vaults over them and things like that).

It could use some tweaking, but that's exactly what they would do with the next game anyway so I don't see why you got on my case about it being slow when it really isn't (btw that was you cherrypicking my post, not the other way around). If you think Lost World is slow, than that's your own fault for not being able to play it properly. Myself and many others find it just as good as the Adventure games in terms of speed (and it's better than SA2 anyway).

Lost World's major flaw wasn't speed or anything, it was that they kept deviating from the core gameplay in half of the levels to make you roll around in a snowball or something. That's something they can easily do away with though, and they probably will considering how many people hated that.
Wait what?

First of all, I never got on your case about the game being slow. I was initially merely disagreeing and shared my thoughts about the game, I had no problems with you until you started name calling and then say I'm playing the game wrong. So what are you even talking about?

And secondly, it being slow or not is subjective. I did not play LW wrong, I played through the game, finished it with most of the red rings and I found the game still too slowish. You lose momentum whenever you jump (especially far more noticable in 2D mode), the main running speed is very slow unless you hold the run button, but even then it doesn't feel that fast enough. The controls overall doesn't give me the sense of speed and thanks to the poor jumping controls, it feels stiff and also in turn lacks the sense of freedom.

In other words, I'm not a fan of the physics and you're just going have to accept my feelings on that. So don't you dare tell me I'm playing the game "wrong" because I didn't like it.

With that, I'm done.

Disagree with however you want. You like Lost Worlds and think the formula is the best? Sure, more power to you. But let a man disagree and not be accused of "playing it wrong". I just don't feel it's the formula I want for the franchise.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You do gradually gain speed in Lost World. The functionality simply turns off in "walk mode" for those tricky platforming sections.

He is still effected by momentum in running/spindash mode.
Yeah but WHY?

Why do I need to hold a button to gain speed and lose it to do platforming by releasing it?

Is it hard to do it automatically because it shouldn't.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait what?

First of all, I never got on your case about the game being slow. I was initially merely disagreeing and shared my thoughts about the game, I had no problems with you until you started name calling and then say I'm playing the game wrong. How am I cherry picking when I don't think that formula is ideal for the franchise onwards? So what are you even talking about?

And secondly, it being slow or not is subjective. I did not play LW wrong, I played through the game, finished it with most of the red rings and I found the game still too slowish. You lose momentum whenever you jump (especially far more noticable in 2D mode), the main running speed is very slow unless you hold the run button, but even then it doesn't feel that fast enough. The controls overall doesn't give me the sense of speed and thanks to the poor jumping controls, it feels stiff and also in turn lacks the sense of freedom. In other words, I'm not a fan of the physics and you're just going have to accept my feeling on that. So don't you dare tell me I'm playing the game "wrong" because I didn't like it. You don't need to speedrun a Sonic game to get the good sense of speed.

With that, I'm done.

Literally all of the points you made here contradict what the video I posted, or any other one, display.

So yeah you were doing something wrong.

Yeah but WHY?

Why do I need to hold a button to gain speed and lose it to do platforming by releasing it?

Is it hard to do it automatically because it shouldn't.
A lot of people complained about how in every Sonic game besides Lost World, platforming sections were too awkward since Sonic was constantly effected by momentum and could easily slip off even after you land the jump.

The run button was a direct answer to this complaint. When the run button isn't held, Sonic is able to stop on a dime to make platforming more precise.

I think the next game should make it so that what Sonic's default state is an option (e.g. instead of forcing walking as his default state, provide an option to make running the default, and pressing the button puts him in walk mode), but the concept of basically giving Sonic "gears" is a good one and a lot of people were actually suggesting it prior to Lost World.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Literally all of the points you made here contradict what the video I posted, or any other one, display.

So yeah you were doing something wrong.
Explain

Do I need to speedrun to play the game "correctly"? Am I not allowed to play the game casually? Do I need to master the game so I can suddenly be playing it "right"?

That is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Guys, please.
Adventure 1 is CLEARLY the fastest Sonic Game.
I mean, who DOESN'T love mashing B to go at speeds so fast that you fall off the stage 90% of the time? :sonic:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Explain

Do I need to speedrun to play the game "correctly"? Am I not allowed to play the game casually? Do I need to master the game so I can suddenly be playing it "right"?

That is ridiculous.
The main problem you have that I know for a fact is your fault, is "losing momentum when you jump".

That only happens in walk mode. And as I already explained, that was a direct answer to a complaint people have had towards Sonic games for years.

It doesn't happen in run mode or while spindashing.

D

Deleted member

Playing as Silver in Sonic '06's multiplayer is the greatest thing about the Sonic franchise and no one can say otherwise

Naoshi

The main problem you have that I know for a fact is your fault, is "losing momentum when you jump".

That only happens in walk mode. And as I already explained, that was a direct answer to a complaint people have had towards Sonic games for years.

It doesn't happen in run mode or while spindashing.
I always held the run button whenever I jump. :|

The momentum feels stiff and immediately drops a lot of the speed whenever I do so.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I always held the run button whenever I jump. :|

The momentum feels stiff whenever I do so.
Maybe your copy us busted then, because I don't have this problem at all, nor do I see it happen to anyone else in any videos I watch.

Either that or maybe you really weren't and just can't remember. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom