• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... Bayonetta 3 was teased to be possibly in development from a Star Fox Zero interview GameSpot did.
While Star Fox Zero may not be the only Wii U title Platinum Game is working on--the team was mum, but cheeky, when asked about the possibility of a Bayonetta 3--it is the only one they're talking about right now. Working with dual screens continues to be the biggest challenge, for Hashimoto and his team. He remembers working on Bayonetta 2 and thinking how the unique controller could be incorporated into a shooting game scheme.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I think if Roy and Lucina weren't in Smash, the salt over Corrin wouldn't have existed.

If the FE cast was just Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin, the complaints would have been lesser: no clones, no amount of FE characters deemed as "excessive".

As a matter of fact, Robin and Corrin were actually characters wanted by the FE fanbase as far as movesets and gameplay concepts go. Magic users and transforming characters are a staple of the series that was absent in Smash Bros. up until now.

Though I question the direction the FE series had in the latest two games (especially Fates with the excessive fanservice), Robin and Corrin are a breath of fresh air when it comes to FE protagonists.

Most JRPG series have differing character casts and settings for each installment, so it's not too surprising that Xenoblade X did the same.

It's like not getting a Final Fantasy title just because there's no Cloud in it, you see. Or not getting Mother 3 because Ness isn't the main character. Same thing for other series like Tales, Dragon Quest and so on.
I'm sure there still would've been some salt had Roy not gotten in and Corrin was still revealed at the time he was. Keep in mind that a lot of people were upset over Bayonetta, too. It wasn't just about Fire Emblem being overrepped.....it was also because none of the community's presumed "ballot frontrunners" made it. On top of that there's also a lot of people with the misconception that Corrin was picked from the ballot despite Sakurai explaining how he was picked right after his trailer.

It definitely would've reduced the salt, though. Especially if they brought back Wolf in Wave 2 instead of Roy, since his supporters seem to be the ones who are taking this the hardest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....Is 58 to 60+ really considered that huge of a jump? Considering how much the roster expands each smash game, that's nothing. Unless they were to make a huge change in the system itself.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's kind of funny

In history of Power Rangers, it showed a clip of one of the rander's asking what a rhino's horn was made out of

I answered, to myself "Keratin"

To which the show replied "It's made of hair"

Then Linkara replied "Keratin is more accurate, the thing hair and nails are made of"

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
if smash can handle 58 characters.It can handle 66.it's only 7 more characters.It can probably to 70.I dont think i want that many characters but it could do it

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Forgot to post this yesterday but I witnessed a 3 year old build a Mario Maker level without help yesterday. It was interesting seeing how he actually had a sense for level design despite the young age.

I also built a quick, simple level for young kids like that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Top five favorite Metroid characters. Go!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mine are......

Ridley
Samus
Anthony
Rundas
Kraid

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Alpha Metroid
Beta Metroid
Gamma Metroid
Zeta Metroid
Omega Metroid

THE top 5 metroids

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Top five favorite Metroid characters. Go!
Samus
Anthony
Rundas
Dark Samus
...Mother Brain

Can't really think of a 5th character, so I just threw in Mother Brain lol. Also, would it be anything less than weird to NOT have Samus on a list like this? She's essentially the main character you'll see in the majority of games. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have never played any of the prime games, so my knowledge in basing my favorite characters is solely on Metroid Fusion and before. As well as Other M

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hey I'm no longer pranked, and just in time for me to make this post and show off that I've become a Smash Champion!

Anyway I have a challenge for you.

Think of an iconic 3rd party video game character that could be added in a future Smash game.

You just have to follow these rules.
•No characters from series already in Smash
•No characters that come from non Japanese company's
•No Konami, Microsoft or Sony characters
•No characters we know Sakurai has considered (Heihachi)
•No characters that break Sakurai's rules for 3rd party characters

Go!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason my computer doesn't recognize the word "exercise" and spell corrects it to "Super size"

Hilariously ironic

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey I'm no longer pranked, and just in time for me to make this post and show off that I've become a Smash Champion!

Think of an iconic 3rd party video game character that could be added in a future Smash game.

Go!
Phoenix Wright.

Easy.

Chrono.

Go!
Yu Narukami/Izanagi or Phoenix Wright.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What are Sakurai's rules for 3rd parties?

Well, I choose Aiai, because I loved the first two Super Monkey Ball games.

And for Swamp's list:
Samus
Ridley
Crocomire
Kraid
Gandrayda? I don't know, lol.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Go!
Objection Bird

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fine then.
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
Not traditional.

Muh items.

Muh stages and hazards.

161 characters.

U wot M8?
I'm sure if ol' Sakurai could, he'd put the same number of characters.

But as it stands, it took 2 years + DLC to get 58.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I saw talk about predictions around Page 812. What did I predict/want?
Predicted we'd get an Animal Crossing character, with my preference being the :4villager: (Didn't really call him that back when I wanted him, but he doesn't use the fishing rod as a tether recovery like I hoped)
:4littlemac: Makes the most sense - He's a boxer - It'd make sense for him to be in Smash since Punch-Out!! is a 'fighting' game of sorts. But do you know what I want to see in a future Punch-Out!! game? Being able to play as the other characters, each having their own strengths and weaknesses, their own Star Attacks... I also believed that if Little Mac made it, then so should Isaac - who's now my new #1.
I predicted that Dr. Mario would make a return:4drmario:, with key justification being to emulate his old Melee moveset.
Roy was my most wanted, and got him through DLC:4feroy:
Predicted and wanted Shulk:4shulk:in the base game
Predicted we would see Palutena and Dark Pit, though I would have preferred more effort on Dark Pit either through his Staff or his kick on the Underworld Guardian.

I guess I was always in the camp that if there were to be a Final Fantasy character, it'd either be Cloud or Black Mage - and Cloud was my preference, and my new main. He's just so much fun to play!

Heartbroken upon Takamaru being relegated to Assist Trophy, but I've restored him back to my third most wanted.

Favourite Metroid characters for me would be Samus and Ridley at Top Place, Sylux a third place, the SA-X and I'll just list Metroid in fifth place.

Tomorrow I'll be writing a little personal and formal send off for the year of 2015. Only 2 more sleeps away until the Dawn of the First Day of 2016.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Go!
Ryu Hayabusa for sure

With Tecmo being as buddy-buddy with Nintendo as it has been lately, I see him being a very strong contender for Smash 5/Smash NX. Of the remaining legendary third parties left, he's one of the few I'd put my money on.

Also some Dragon Quest character. Probably not Slime, because by going with Cloud over Black Mage, Sakurai demonstrated that he'd rather introduce a main protag from just one of the games to represent the series rather than a generic species character that could feasibly rep the entire series. Erdrick is "the" DQ protag ala Cloud right? So then probably him.

A Tales character probably would probably also be on the consideration list. Probably Lloyd after his costume and all. A Soul Calibur character I could see happening as well. Probably Siegfried seeing as he's been the main protag of most of the games. Nightmare is probably in contention with that slot, but with all the third party reps being protags so far, I'd be surprised to get the villain first, then the protag.

Layton... I don't know if I'd say he's iconic quite yet, but of recent third party series, he's absolutely one of the ones to have made the biggest splash. I could feasibly see him in the future.

Capcom has all of Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter under their belt that fit the bill. But I feel that we'd sooner get another SF character like Chun-Li or M. Bison, or another Megaman character like Protoman or Dr. Wily before we'd get a third Capcom franchise. If Sakurai lessens his stance on realistic guns though (which depending on how you look at it, he may have already done with Bayonetta), Resident Evil would definitely be more of a contender, either through Jill or Leon or Chris (preferably Jill). I think the hardest part of incorporating Resident Evil content would be creating a stage without getting too bloody or graphic, though they managed to do it with Bayonetta.

Also getting into the less realistic and more personal hopes side, Agumon would be amazing and would fit the bill as well. Depending on whether or not virtual pets are counted as video games, Agumon wouldn't break any of the rules of third parties, and the series is definitely still going strong today in Japan and elsewhere, especially with the new anime series and all. And with it having the title of being the original Pokemon rival that spawned innumerable playground fights, finally being able to add Pikachu vs. Agumon to the list of already amazing vs. matches Smash allows would be incredible. His iconicity isn't as strong as other contenders for sure though, and Namco isn't hurting for other options for iconic characters to add with Heihachi, Siegfried, and Lloyd still on the waiting list, plus Digimon's popularity is definitely not at the same level as it once was in the 90's. I still see him as someone that might be discussed though, if nothing else for the vs. potential.

There's also plenty of non-japanese 3rd parties left, but the rules say no non-japanese characters, so that's a post for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom