• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually I just realized, Corrin's poster reflects how redundant his inclusion was, as it's by the exact same artist who made Robin and Lucina's poster.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So....

What vets do you want in Street Fighter V?
One of them is already in there and I want Sakura and Sean in the game for that pupil rivalry, Cody, Yun & Yang for the salt, Akuma and Maki (that'll never happen)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So....

What vets do you want in Street Fighter V?
Not including the confirmed DLC, Dudley and E. Honda.

Actually I just realized, Corrin's poster reflects how redundant his inclusion was, as it's by the exact same artist who made Robin and Lucina's poster.
...Or they got the same artist because they're all Fire Emblem characters, so the consistency makes sense.

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
as a matter of interest to everyone here-
do you think Smash 4 has finally reached the end when it comes to DLC and patches?
Could it be the end? Yes.

Could they change their mind, and develop more DLC? Yes

Should anyone get their hopes up? No.

Would I like to see Sabin and Cyan in the next Dissidia game? Yes.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Really dude?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If anything, it perfectly reflects smash fans, most people there are fighting Corrin, they are excited! The Fates characters are the whiny gits. 'HOW DARE BIG BROTHER BE ANOTHER ****ING FUR IMBLM SWORDIE?!'

Strofirko

Smash Master
After more than 5 years,youtubers are finally taking an act against machinima...
That took a while...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
do you think Smash 4 has finally reached the end when it comes to DLC and patches? ....I mean, when it comes to the final update that includes Bayonetta and Corrin.
Just wanted some opinions. I'm not sure if I should wait to be surprised or call it quits entirely till Smash 5...if there even will be another...
I think it is done completely. We may get one more balance patch but I doubt it.( this is after they release with ha balance patch)

and Luigi The President Luigi The President

I think everyone 3rd party will return. The only sketchy one is Cloud, but I think they could negotiate to get him again.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
do you think Smash 4 has finally reached the end when it comes to DLC and patches? ....I mean, when it comes to the final update that includes Bayonetta and Corrin.
Just wanted some opinions. I'm not sure if I should wait to be surprised or call it quits entirely till Smash 5...if there even will be another...
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Seriously, DLC was bound to end eventually, the presentation clearly stated the end of all DLC characters and even Mii costumes. Sakurai gave the final number of characters and stages that are going to be in the game.

I'm not sure why people are clinging on to this false hope of more DLC.... Cmon guys, its over....

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario- the characters who didn't make it into Brawl, are also a done deal for the next Smash games, as well.
So many people love and adore them, and so much praise was given for their addition...it would be ludicrous if they didn't appear from now on.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I honestly don't see a reason to complain about Corrin & Bayonetta. No amount of arguments will ever be enough to cancel their upcoming releases. They're in the game and it'll stay that way.

Also, I want to share a pretty funny Star Fox video with y'all. Just a NSFW Warning: It Contains Mature Language.

Space Animals 64

And fyi, I got permission from a moderator beforehand to post this video.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In regards to Elma vs. Corrin, some observations and thoughts:
- Both characters are unique with Elma using dual wielding and Corrin being a dragon. However, we never had a character in Smash that is a shapeshifter like Corrin is. Dual wielding is something that Pit already does by splitting his bow into two blades, so Corrin offers something more unique and unprecedented.
- Elma would probably add music from XCX to the Wii U version... Well, I'm kinda sad about that.
- In regards to series balance, Elma would be a better choice (6 FE + 1 XC vs. 5 FE + 2 XC).
- Elma's use of more realistic guns may have been a point of contention... Of course, it's nothing that couldn't be omitted, but perhaps, Sakurai thought those would make her a more diverse character?

In regards to promotional material, what do we have:
- 1 character: Corrin
- 1 stage: Super Mario Maker
- 3 new songs: 1 from Mario Maker, 1 from FE Fates in two versions
- 3 Mii Fighter costume options: Inkling Wig, Inkling Outfit, Squid Hat
- 3 trophies: Inkling, Ryoma, Xander

I think Inklings may have competed with Corrin in regards to being a Smash DLC character. Inklings may have been considered as less viable than Corrin in regards to implementation, especially their use of ink, which is probably a fundamental part of their character that Sakurai didn't want to leave out.

Out of Inklings vs. Elma vs. Corrin for a potential DLC character to advertise a game, Corrin probably won out to the being more unique than Elma, but easier to implement than Inklings. Remind that the team for DLC was smaller than that of the base game.

...Or they got the same artist because they're all Fire Emblem characters, so the consistency makes sense.
FE: Awakening and FE Fates' characters were all drawn by Yusuke Kozaki.

It's not because they're FE characters. It's because both their games have their art drawn by the same artist.

If it was a FE character from another game, it would have been a different artist.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know? I wasn't really salty when it came to both Corrin's and Bayonetta's inclusion.

With Corrin, I started Chuckling similar to @Spazzy_D when I saw the Fire Emblem fates footage and eventually Corrin's splash screen.

Then with Bayonetta, I just kind of stood there when she appeared and muttered "welp, at least it makes sense."

So... even though I wasn't hyped at all, I still really enjoyed the presentation. At least I got a good laugh out of it. XD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FE: Awakening and FE Fates' characters were all drawn by Yusuke Kozaki.

It's not because they're FE characters. It's because both their games have their art drawn by the same artist.

If it was a FE character from another game, it would have been a different artist.
I know, I just felt like simplifying it. :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I honestly don't see a reason to complain about Corrin & Bayonetta. No amount of arguments will ever be enough to cancel their upcoming releases. They're in the game and it'll stay that way.

Also, I want to share a pretty funny Star Fox video with y'all. Just a NSFW Warning: It Contains Mature Language.

Space Animals 64

And fyi, I got permission from a moderator beforehand to post this video.
Complaining about the character DOES NOT EQUAL AT ALL "CANCEL THEIR GAME"

People complain about Corrin for much different reasons then "cancel the game".

D

Deleted member

People are still salty about Corrin?
Good, fries taste terrible without salt :p

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I think Dr. Mario playstyle in Smash fits well to his games. I mean his recovery is bad because in Dr. Mario you can't rise your pill up, and only go down. His Power based playstyle might be based on how you go into tight corners to other pills in his games, and his high power is maybe based on matching pills to defeat your objectives.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thinking about it, a potential issue in regards to XCX content in Smash is the music.

The composer, Hiroyuki Sawano, is actually affiliated with a Sony-owned music label. Most of his soundtracks, XCX included, and solo albums are published by record labels owned by Sony.

Some people have also noticed how some XCX music videos were taken down by Sony Music Japan. This said, Nintendo and Monolith Soft may hold rights for it, but they may not be the sole owners of the music.

Unsure if this may or may not have been a factor in regards to putting content in it. If Sakurai had wanted to include Elma with the exact same kind of extra content (music on Wii U, trophies on 3DS), this could have gotten in the way.

Of course, it's just a possibility.

Well, there's really no use in talking about on what could have been. I'm looking forward to February for the final batch of DLC.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thinking about it, a potential issue in regards to XCX content in Smash is the music.

The composer, Hiroyuki Sawano, is actually affiliated with a Sony-owned music label. Most of his soundtracks, XCX included, and solo albums are published by record labels owned by Sony.

Some people have also noticed how some XCX music videos were taken down by Sony Music Japan. This said, Nintendo and Monolith Soft may hold rights for it, but they may not be the sole owners of the music.

Unsure if this may or may not have been a factor in regards to putting content in it. If Sakurai had wanted to include Elma with the exact same kind of extra content (music on Wii U, trophies on 3DS), this could have gotten in the way.

Of course, it's just a possibility.

Well, there's really no use in talking about on what could have been. I'm looking forward to February for the final batch of DLC.
I don't think music would affect a character's choices.

Include an X stage with some classic Xenoblade Chronicles music that isn't ingame and it'd be just fine.

I'm sure it'd be questioned, but music should not prevent a character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think had Pokemon gen 7 been announced earlier this year. We probably might have gotten a gen 7 pokemon as DLC (too?).

Corrin is the type of character who's best chance of making it into Smash was as DLC. By the time Smash 5 comes along, other Fire Emblem games would have surely come along too and taking priority then. I suppose with what he could offer and his limited time in the sun, he probably won out over characters like Inklings in terms of promotion. That's what I think at least..... :/

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think music would affect a character's choices.

Include an X stage with some classic Xenoblade Chronicles music that isn't ingame and it'd be just fine.

I'm sure it'd be questioned, but music should not prevent a character.
Of course, that would be a possibility and yeah, music shouldn't prevent a character's inclusion.

Knowing Sakurai, however... He is kind of a perfectionist in some regards, so who knows...

Not that it matters much. I mean, Elma could still have Gaur Plain as her stage by virtue of being a Xenoblade character. After all, Corrin didn't add a stage because there are FE stages in the game, but did add music nonetheless.

As I said, it's just something I thought about, but nothing really worth discussing, so don't look into my words too much. :p

D

Deleted member

Oh. Well, you didn't exactly word it like that, but sorry for misunderstanding

Salt, but for good reasons.
"Good reasons"
I don't think you know what "good" means
It just proves how hypocritical the Smash fanbsse is 'GIVE US A NINTENDO NEWCOMER AS DLC!'
'HOW DARE YOU TRY TO MARKET YOUR NINTENDO GAME WITH A NINTENDO NEWCOMER AS DLC!'
My favorite is
"There are no things such as reps, what matters is their moveset"
"WHAT!? ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER!? FE HAS ENOUGH REPS ALREADY!!"

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I think had Pokemon gen 7 been announced earlier this year. We probably might have gotten a gen 7 pokemon as DLC (too?).
Kind of doubt that would happen.

Sakurai picked :4greninja: before the Pokémon company even had the chance to even give it a name (which also meant before fans got to see it, so Sakurai was pretty lucky that Greninja was liked by fans before Smash).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Good reasons"
I don't think you know what "good" means

My favorite is
"There are no things such as reps, what matters is their moveset"
"WHAT!? ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER!? FE HAS ENOUGH REPS ALREADY!!"
It gets better. People whine at Corrin being an FE character solely to advertise Fates. Roy's game wasn't out anywhere when he was in Smash, nor did Roy have an interesting moveset, so people are willing to ignore teh phire because dragons apparently are worse

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kind of doubt that would happen.

Sakurai picked :4greninja: before the Pokémon company even had the chance to even give it a name (which also meant before fans got to see it, so Sakurai was pretty lucky that Greninja was liked by fans before Smash).
I guess it depends how early it was announced. Probably earlier this year might be a little too early though....

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ah look at this, I come back and we are talking about Corrin.

Noice.

Here are my opinions:
Sakurai develops every Smash game as if its his last.

To me it wouldn't be too hard to believe that between now and Smash 5 (should that ever happen), another FE game is going to come out and would be probably be more relevant in terms of picking "relavant and recent" Fire Emblem characters and newcomers.

Seems like its just a matter being safe more than anything should the Corrin fans not get him or an FE Fates character in Smash 5.

Though marketing the game pre-release isn't out of the question and has been done before, but I'm personally don't care about and not too concerned about it tbh.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai did show concern for putting another FE character, though he was like "gameplay > everything else" and just went with it.

Smash rosters have always been a mix of popular characters, fan requests and Sakurai's own choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom