• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I like how they go from "another Fire Emblem character?" To yelling in excitement.
Looking at the comments someone who was at the event claims someone there was actually crying because Wolf didn't make it in the game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I like how they go from "another Fire Emblem character?" To yelling in excitement.
Looking at the comments someone who was at the event claims someone there was actually crying because Wolf didn't make it in the game.
Judging by the Smashboards posts here, that guy probably wasn't the only one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Something I just wanna poke about with.
ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL AS I HAVE NO BELIEF OF THIS HAPPENING
E3 2016 Nintendo announces that the NX will have an expanded port of Smash WiiU with more of the 3DS stages, possibly one more 1P mode, and 5 new first-party characters.
Who do you choose?
1) :popo::icsmelee:
2) :wolf:
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
1) Ice Climbers (Bring Them Home)
2) Chrom
3) Henry Fleming
4) Inkling
5) K. Rool

Yay. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"The Boy Who Cried (Over) Wolf."

:p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I would have taken Wolf alone over both Lucas & Roy any day. This is coming from someone who mained Lucas in Brawl and who's favorite character to play in Melee was Roy.

I'm not being biased when I say Wolf deserved to be in more than them.
"The Boy Who Cried (Over) Wolf."

:p
Someone actually called him the boy who cried Wolf; he then ran out of the building.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Anyone want to translate this?

Burruni

Smash Hero
A GameFAQs thread doesn't do much to convince me.

This said, the last Iwata Asks is about Fire Emblem Fates.
As I said, all I could find. Not that it was convincing.

There's evidence for it but nothing confirming.

:4cloud: still feel like a variant of Blade Beam could've become :4feroy:'s side B.

edit:
Anyone want to translate this?
Google Translate: "Study at the time , but it was the concern that 'Emblem' system is too many , I was finished with no one else has obtained individuality Thanks . To completion it will take a little more , but please stay tuned !"

My attempt at translating that: "We were aware that some may feel that Fire Emblem may have too many fighters, but I included our main newcomers for their originality for potential. Thank you for your patience as we finish our DLC, please stay tuned!"

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So we were discussing how Bayonetta got in?

My thoughts:

Bayonnet is about 90% popularity imo. I think everyone severely underestimated her, and no one brought her up because a lot of people claimed they voted for her but never thought she would get in, so they never mentioned it. That's where the excitement comes from, people like gamexplain and alpharad all thought she would be awesome, so they voted for her in addition to more realistic choices. This is why she ranked highly and as pointed out in that Sega poll for All Stars racing, she ranked 5 there. Sega has a big influence in the states,, and what place did she get in the ballot? 5th in the States.

What I'm getting at here, is that she is a very beloved character that no one saw happening, but still hoped and voted. Which is why more are open to her. The games may not have sold well, but it has a big enough fanbase to sway ballot results. Yes Bayonneta probably has non nintendo fans, but I am sure that a lot of Nintendo and Sega fans voted for her, because usually fans of 1 of the 2 are fans of both of those companies.

That said, I do believe when Nintendo saw her votes, and any other 3rd parties, they went:
" Hm these other 3rd parties are could be great, but may not be negotiable."

So they went with Bayonneta, a character from a company they work with as well as a company that was once their revival but now is a friend, and already had a character in the game. And due to Kamiya's open to giving Bayo to Sakurai, they got her like it was nothing, as well as additional content, that really pleased the fans and led them to give a lot of love and fanfare to the character, which made her massively accepted and like worldwide.

Now with that out of the way, the mario maker update looks really fun! The koopa clown kar will be fun to make a level for now, especially since I already had an idea for one! The p switch doors will be fun to but led to more troll levels....

I wonder if you can have 4 doors and 4 p switch doors?
And the bumpers may be fun.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, it seems that Sakurai was concerned in regards to having so many FE characters, but gameplay was more important.

He wasn't chosen because he is a FE character but because he stands out in regards to abilities.

Could @PushDustIn lend a hand in translating that tweet?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
GODDAMN CLOUD'S GREAT. A friend of mine said that according to a video ge saw, combos are minimal and most of his moves are bad. I combo just fine, Fsmash is 3stronk and Limit Breaks are fun. Favourite kill move is Climmhazard though
Cloud has some combos from low percents and they are very good but you pretty much have to do them starting at 0-20% against most characters or they just won't work at all.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So, it seems that Sakurai was concerned in regards to having so many FE characters, but gameplay was more important.

He wasn't chosen because he is a FE character but because he stands out in regards to abilities.

I wonder if he ever considered a Xenoblade Chronicles X character. In the chance he did, guess he saw more potential in Corrin. Hell, I think bekng part dragon is cool enough. I guess me and Sakurai had a similar outlook on Corrin. :p

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
To make me feel better about Wolf being gone, I like to imagine he's on a rescue mission to bring back the Ice Climbers for Smash 5.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
My friend @rie Sonoruma said:
I realized, Sakurai put Corrin in as a tribute to Iwata. Fates was the very last game Iwata ever worked on.
That's a pretty huge stretch, honestly.

Given the presence of the extra slots in the Mewtwo update, I'm pretty sure Corrin was decided on before Iwata even passed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Then I got lucky. I think Cloud will be a solid midgartier
I'd actually say he has potential to be high tier easily.

He gets screwed by the usual suspects (Sheik, Rosalina, ZSS, Pikachu), and would still struggle a bit with other top-ish tiers but other than that I don't see him having any problems with other characters.

His only real problems are lack of combos, **** recovery without his Limit Break, and some moves leave him wide open, but I feel that's fair enough and suits his character. He's really cool and fun though, I'm considering having him replace Mario as my third main (between Cloud and Roy anyway).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
By the way, Sakurai in that tweet is talking to Nobunaga Shimazaki, male Corrin's Japanese voice actor.

I remember reading in an interview that Shimazaki is a fan of FE. For any anime fans here, a bit of trivia: if you've watched Parasyte, he's voiced that series' protagonist Shinichi Izumi.

I wonder if he ever considered a Xenoblade Chronicles X character. In the chance he did, guess he saw more potential in Corrin. Hell, I think bekng part dragon is cool enough. I guess me and Sakurai had a similar outlook on Corrin. :p
Elma would be cool and all, but yeah, Corrin does offer more in the uniqueness department.

Not that Elma wouldn't be unique, though. Blades, guns and mecha would be cool, with the latter being perfect material for a Final Smash.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Just asked Soma (lead translator at Source Gaming):

While we were in the discussion phase, I did worry that we were getting too many "Emblem" types, but thanks to you [he]'s become a totally unique character. It'll be just a little while more until we're done, so please look forward to it!

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I'm curious that in the last patch if the 3DS version doesn't get a handful of silent port stages for WiiU ala Duck Hunt.

Like I've been saying, as soon as Umbra Clock Tower gets added, the 3DS' stage select screen will look terrible.

xxxx
xxxx
o

X's are the stage, o is random. Unless they make the random a huge random button that covers that entire row, I almost wonder if they're not going to port some stages from the WiiU version over for free ala Duck Hunt.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Sakurai already said in the presentation that the inclusion came about because they wanted to include someone from Fates.

So yeah, he was basically chosen because he stands out... among the FE Fates characters.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I have a feeling that they are gonna polish Cloud next patch, he definitely has potential but is currently held back by his side b and up b.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
In other news. Indivisible, the game that allegedly will feature Shantae and Shovel Knight, has less than $6,000 to go before it reaches it's "Mystery Anime Studio" animated opening stretch goal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I always thought Corrin had great moveset potential but I never thought of him/her for Smash 4. I was thinking in terms of Smash 5, hoping they didn't get Zoroark'd.

Glad they did get in though.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So on Miiverse I saw some people pointing fingers at Europe for the ballot results.

I'm not surprised anymore.
Can confirm that literally everyone in Europe is to blame for Bayo.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
So yeah, he was basically chosen because he stands out... among the FE Fates characters.
Which isn't a very hard choice to make, considering a chunk of the cast is basically just Awakening characters with different names and clothing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom