• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So on Miiverse I saw some people pointing fingers at Europe for the ballot results.

I'm not surprised anymore.
Leave it to the Smash fanbase for massive amounts of salt. Or any gaming fanbase, for that matter.

I didn't get Wolf, but you don't see me whining about it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm cool with Corrin because of how unique he is; it's Roy who I feel is unnecessary. I get that they probably didn't want to have to put in the time to make a fully unique character, so they brought back a clone from the past, but why Roy over Wolf? The only thing I could think of is that Sakurai wanted to please Roy fans who have waited so long for his return (longer then Wolf fans have been waiting). That or he's just biased towards FE. I'd like to believe it's the former.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People always use "jank" in different ways, but to me, it means "something that looks/feels unnatural and shouldn't happen".

Wavedashing in Melee is an example. I like it from a gameplay standpoint but it's weird seeing characters move around with what is essentially a crouching animation all of the time, it looks really silly.

Also Rosalina's grabs are also pretty jank sometimes, mainly her dash grab. I've had plenty of times where her hand PHYSICALLY TOUCHES the opponent yet it doesn't register, which makes no sense because for the actual grab animation she essentially force chokes people. I wish they would fix that. There are other examples too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It would make sense that Sakurai wanted to include Corrin now. By the time Smash 5 rolls around, Fire Emblem Fates would be old news with perhaps newer Fire Emblem games coming along down the pipelines taking priority and Corrin practically suffering the same fate as Zoroark.

So he was more or less a now or never type of deal...

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Something I just wanna poke about with.
ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL AS I HAVE NO BELIEF OF THIS HAPPENING
E3 2016 Nintendo announces that the NX will have an expanded port of Smash WiiU with more of the 3DS stages, possibly one more 1P mode, and 5 new first-party characters.
Who do you choose?
1) :popo::icsmelee:
2) :wolf:
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
1) King K. Rool
2) Ganon (Pig)
3) Inklings
4) Sylux
5) Dixie Kong

If we count veterans Ice Climbers and Wolf get 4/5 positions.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Corrin was a "now or never" situation,basically.
This.

Sakurai has repeatedly stated that although he may not share who he considered in case he uses them for a future game (Marth in SSB64), he does not plan on making sequels.

D

Deleted member

O dear japanese informant @PushDustIn , how do you think are the odds the DLC characters will have their own custom moves as for now ?

Love,
FSG

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The New Content Approaching stream heavily suggested that Roy was specifically chosen due to his status as a Melee veteran, while Lucas was chosen from the pool of Brawl veterans.

Roy wasn't chosen over Wolf. Lucas was.
Right, I forgot Sakurai acts like Mewtwo isn't a Melee character while at the same time acting like he's a Melee character.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Despite the fact that Bayonetta was confirmed to be the last character, there are people still insisting that Wolf will come back in February as a surprise.

Jesus Christ Wolf fanboys are starting to annoy me.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Despite the fact that Bayonetta was confirmed to be the last character, there are people still insisting that Wolf will come back in February as a surprise.

Jesus Christ Wolf fanboys are starting to annoy me.
That was the mistake Sakurai made when saying Bayonetta was the last "NEW" character to be added.

Prepare for Wolf/Snake/Pichu/Ice Climbers DLC "leaks" until the next game is announced.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At this point, I'm curious that in the last patch if the 3DS version doesn't get a handful of silent port stages for WiiU ala Duck Hunt.

Like I've been saying, as soon as Umbra Clock Tower gets added, the 3DS' stage select screen will look terrible.

xxxx
xxxx
o

X's are the stage, o is random. Unless they make the random a huge random button that covers that entire row, I almost wonder if they're not going to port some stages from the WiiU version over for free ala Duck Hunt.
Why not rearrange them into three's?

xxx
xxx
xxo

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just as foretold.
On the podcast after the event I told Push that I was sure people were going to think that we would still see additional DLC.

He told me that the Smash presentation was very conclusive. I told him that didn't matter.

Whelp, looks like the ever hopeful and ignorant internet masses have proved me right.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The instant watched Sakurai say "the last new fighter", I inwardly groaned because I knew that people would hold out for a returning veteran until SSB5.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'd assume there'd be at least one more, in case something goes awry with Corrin or Bayonetta.
Or y'know.
PAC-MAN.
Again.
Something's always going on with PAC-MAN.
He's had at least 1 random Glitch that either makes him a god or a klutz in every single patch so far
Just a never-ending ball of glitchy sunshine. :4pacman:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Do anybody think they will just port the characters from smash 4 when they make smash 5 and just touch up the characters models and then add more characters. I hope they do that because I think it can't get better looking than this without make the m age horribly by make the texture and models look realistic.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Do anybody think they will just port the characters from smash 4 when they make smash 5 and just touch up the characters models and then add more characters. I hope they do that because I think it can't get better looking than this without make the m age horribly by make the texture and models look realistic.
I hope they would do it, because then we wouldn't have our differences as a fanbase, when it comes to cuts :)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So Star Wars.
I loved every second of it. I'll leave it at that but JJ Abrams did a fantastic job.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be absolutely honest, Wolf's exclusion is like poetic justice in a way.

Let's go back to January of 2008, shall we? Brawl was released in Japan and the roster had been leaked. Salt everywhere. No Mewtwo and no Roy and... Wolf!

They said: Sakurai is biased for the Star Fox series, giving it three reps! It's a too small franchise to deserve so many characters and they're all clones! OMG look at all those Landmasters.

Remember? The Landmaster jokes? Surely, you do. (And if you don't, ask your mom.)

6 years later, in September 11th, 2014... People salty about the lack of Wolf, but they got their hopes up with the announcement of Mewtwo as the first DLC character a month later. All was good in the world. Praise Sakurai-sama!

April 1st, 2015 ~The downloadable roller-coaster begins~
Not only Mewtwo was releasing this month, but Lucas was confirmed AND there's a Smash Bros. fighter ballot!

"This is your chance to fulfill your wildest dreams! All you have to do is conquer everyone in your way!" - Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

"DON'T WASTE VOTES ON WOLF! MEWTWO AND LUCAS ARE BACK AND SO, HE'S A SHOO-IN!" - One of the -many- new mantras of the rabid Smash Bros. fanbase

Then came Roy... and Ryu... and now the last triumvirate of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. How quaint. The only DLC newcomer to not be a third-party character just so happens to be a Fire Emblem character!

In 2008, Sakurai was biased for Star Fox for including Wolf... That vulpine, SECOND FOX CLONE AND THIRD LANDMASTER everyone reviled. In 2014 onward, he's biased for Fire Emblem. Fanbase logic at its finest.

Remember when people cried foul at Sakurai for removing Mewtwo and Roy from Melee and blamed that on Wolf. Ironic, how those characters returned and Wolf is nowhere to be seen. So much for being a shoo-in, no?

In case you forgot, my top 3 most wanted characters for DLC were Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf. With the first two confirmed before the ballot's opening, there was but one choice for me: I voted Wolf. Okay, I got nothing in return, but hey, I can't complain that I got two of three I wanted. Would Wolf returning make me satisfied? Yeah, but I was always aware that he wasn't a guarantee, so I did all I could to have him come back.

For that reason alone, I can't be disappointed. I have that peace of mind.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
To be absolutely honest, Wolf's exclusion is like poetic justice in a way.

Let's go back to January of 2008, shall we? Brawl was released in Japan and the roster had been leaked. Salt everywhere. No Mewtwo and no Roy and... Wolf!

They said: Sakurai is biased for the Star Fox series, giving it three reps! It's a too small franchise to deserve so many characters and they're all clones! OMG look at all those Landmasters.

Remember? The Landmaster jokes? Surely, you do. (And if you don't, ask your mom.)

6 years later, in September 11th, 2014... People salty about the lack of Wolf, but they got their hopes up with the announcement of Mewtwo as the first DLC character a month later. All was good in the world. Praise Sakurai-sama!

April 1st, 2015 ~The downloadable roller-coaster begins~
Not only Mewtwo was releasing this month, but Lucas was confirmed AND there's a Smash Bros. fighter ballot!

"This is your chance to fulfill your wildest dreams! All you have to do is conquer everyone in your way!" - Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

"DON'T WASTE VOTES ON WOLF! MEWTWO AND LUCAS ARE BACK AND SO, HE'S A SHOO-IN!" - One of the -many- new mantras of the rabid Smash Bros. fanbase

Then came Roy... and Ryu... and now the last triumvirate of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. How quaint. The only DLC newcomer to not be a third-party character just so happens to be a Fire Emblem character!

In 2008, Sakurai was biased for Star Fox for including Wolf... That vulpine, THIRD FOX CLONE AND LANDMASTER everyone reviled. In 2014 onward, he's biased for Fire Emblem. Fanbase logic at its finest.

Remember when people cried foul at Sakurai for removing Mewtwo and Roy from Melee and blamed that on Wolf. Ironic, how those characters returned and Wolf is nowhere to be seen. So much for being a shoo-in, no?

In case you forgot, my top 3 most wanted characters for DLC were Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf. With the first two confirmed before the ballot's opening, there was but one choice for me: I voted Wolf. Okay, I got nothing in return, but hey, I can't complain that I got two of three I wanted. Would Wolf returning make me satisfied? Yeah, but I was always aware that he wasn't a guarantee, so I did all I could to have him come back.

For that reason alone, I can't be disappointed. I have that peace of mind.
People are going to be so pissed when they realize Dark Pit isn't DLC.

Sakurai could have said "the is the last of the DLC" to make it even more blunt. . .

And people would STILL think there is much more to come :/

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think they will do that and it's what they should do.

-----------

I got curious and tried to do a height estimate for Bayonetta. It's probably a little off but it's something. Used Rosalina since she's the tallest female.

What I did was use the screenshot I took with Rosalina as the base, and scaled the trailer shot up to it's size. It then cut out all of the stuff in the middle I didn't need so I could position Bayonetta and Samus from the trailer correctly. I mirrored the Samus from the trailer to line the feet and head up (I didn't get the exact frame of animation in my screenshot but their head and feet lined up anyway without scaling. Then I used the design on Battlefield that is below Bayonetta and Rosalina to line them up, and made the trailer shot elements transparent for easy comparison.

Here are the images I used in case anyone wants to try do a better one.

Oh, and in case anyone wonders why I didn't use the actual scene in the trailer that has Rosalina, I didn't notice a frame where they were both standing up straight at the same time, but I could go back and find frames where they are standing up straight separately.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
On the podcast after the event I told Push that I was sure people were going to think that we would still see additional DLC.

He told me that the Smash presentation was very conclusive. I told him that didn't matter.

Whelp, looks like the ever hopeful and ignorant internet masses have proved me right.
I've said numerous times that if Wolf didn't get announced, people would continue on with the "HE'S BEIN SAVED FOR STAR FOX ZERO'S RELEASE!" theories.

The broadcast did feel extremely final, but Sakurai or the translators made the major mistake of calling Bayonetta "the last new fighter". That line alone gives people a reason to keep thinking he's gonna be in.

It should be obvious that it's done and over with, but then again, it should've been obvious that Ridley was a boss after the first Smash Direct.

Sakurai could have said "the is the last of the DLC" to make it even more blunt. . .

And people would STILL think there is much more to come :/
^ Also, this. People probably would've went with "Sakurai's a troll!" or "It would make Nintendo money!" if they made it even more obvious and hadn't made that poor choice of wording with Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wonder how many parents won't buy Bayonetta for their children because of her sexual nature.

What were kids doing voting for a sexualized M rated character anyway? :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've said numerous times that if Wolf didn't get announced, people would continue on with the "HE'S BEIN SAVED FOR STAR FOX ZERO'S RELEASE!" theories.

The broadcast did feel extremely final, but Sakurai or the translators made the major mistake of calling Bayonetta "the last new fighter". That line alone gives people a reason to keep thinking he's gonna be in.

It should be obvious that it's done and over with, but then again, it should've been obvious that Ridley was a boss after the first Smash Direct.

^ Also, this. People probably would've went with "Sakurai's a troll!" or "It would make Nintendo money!" if they made it even more obvious and hadn't made that poor choice of wording with Bayonetta.
Maybe Wolf will get into the next round of Mario Kart 8 DLC?

Shroob

Sup?
Quick question, but does anyone know what the two first songs for Umbra Clock tower were?

I only have the 3DS version so I'm dying to know if "Let's Dance, Boys!" has a shot of being in.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Has Nintendo release the official artwork for Bayonetta's first game outfit?

I want to get the very last of my roster maker icons out of the way.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
To be frank it was kinda obivous since the "new challenger approaching" direct that lucas and roy were the last DLC vets we were getting.He even kinda said it.Wishing for anymore vets after that point.to me.was a pipedream

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wonder if the finality of the roster will spurn the modding scene to be a bit more active.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Five stages of grief: bargaining is all I'm gonna say regarding "surprise" theories.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I can only imagine the hate if Bayonetta had been Hades or Medusa.

This site would become a wasteland of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom