• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Overscan issues aside...

Crazy to think this will be the final Smash 4 roster.
Oh yes... I love this roster... this is so Sakurai... I had a feeling we were not getting a cookie cutter safe roster such as this one...

Burruni

Smash Hero
1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf
3. Midna & Wolf Link
4. Dixie Kong
5. Rhythm Heaven rep

However I'd be more interested in the stages and modes the game has and what it does about custom moves.
Our 7 DLC characters and then the 5 new characters get customs, for sake of argument.

Edit:
Oh yes... I love this roster... this is so Sakurai... I had a feeling we were not getting a cookie cutter safe roster such as this one...

Saki, no pokemon Newcomer, PacMan and lack of a Fire Emblem Awakening character wouldn't quite be so cookie cutter. I-M-O.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Only one issue:

He states "これから" which means, from now. Using your definition of service, then that would need to include Roy, Ryu and Lucas.

This is right after he mentions the Roy, Ryu and Lucas were not picked from the ballot.
Well, I suppose you do have a point.

Not that it matters much as what constitutes as fan service is highly subjective. The fact Sakurai decided to make DLC in the first place rather than ending development when the game finished back in 2014 could be considered as fan service by itself since it's content that otherwise wouldn't have gotten in otherwise, especially Bayonetta and Corrin, who are based on games that finished development or were in development when Smash 3DS/Wii U was released.

Anyone else try to use counter with Cloud even though he doesn't have one? Years of instinct.
Had that same problem. lol

He's not a FE character, therefore no counter. :chuckle:

I'm already getting used to him. Very fun to play as. I've already cleared Classic on 9.0 on my 3DS as him. His Limit Break is very handy to deal with Master Core and it didn't took me many tries.

D

Deleted member

Anyone else try to use counter with Cloud even though he doesn't have one? Years of instinct.
Me playing as Robin and Link
Something I just wanna poke about with.
ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL AS I HAVE NO BELIEF OF THIS HAPPENING
E3 2016 Nintendo announces that the NX will have an expanded port of Smash WiiU with more of the 3DS stages, possibly one more 1P mode, and 5 new first-party characters.
Who do you choose?
1) :popo::icsmelee:
2) :wolf:
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
"New" you keep using that word but I don't think you know what it means
Lyn
Hector
Ephraim
Chrom
Azura
:troll:
But seriously, without bias, it's kinda hard to predict
With bias though: Inklings, Wonder-Red, Sceptile, Another FE character(anyone) and Henry Fleming

Chrono.

E3 2016 Nintendo announces that the NX will have an expanded port of Smash WiiU with more of the 3DS stages, possibly one more 1P mode, and 5 new first-party characters.
Who do you choose?
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
  1. Elma
  2. Inklings
  3. Medusa
  4. Toad
  5. Dixie Kong

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I might be alone on this, but did anyone else think they were going to reveal Inkling as a playable character after they were showing off their Mii costumes?

After they showed off the QR code stuff while using the Inkling Mii as an example they focused on the Inkling Miis for several seconds.

I legitimately thought they were going to cut to a trailer of them as playable fighters. When I saw the zooming out effect I freaked out; I was so prepared to see the Smash logo pop up.
On the contrary: I felt that was the last nail in their coffin.

They wouldn't put that much emphasis on making an accurate Inkling Mii Fighter if they were going to show the real deal off in a matter of minutes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
:4littlemac:&:4shulk: spoiled me on how good their counters are.

Especially when they linger so long as much.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I might be alone on this, but did anyone else think they were going to reveal Inkling as a playable character after they were showing off their Mii costumes?

After they showed off the QR code stuff while using the Inkling Mii as an example they focused on the Inkling Miis for several seconds.

I legitimately thought they were going to cut to a trailer of them as playable fighters. When I saw the zooming out effect I freaked out; I was so prepared to see the Smash logo pop up.
I was right there, honestly.
I know it was a little foolish but dammit I was hopeful...

D

Deleted member

I don't think Bayonetta actually "won" the ballot.
But I don't believe the actual "winner(s)" were anyone like K. Rool. Otherwise, they'd be in instead.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well, I suppose you do have a point.

Not that it matters much as what constitutes as fan service is highly subjective. The fact Sakurai decided to make DLC in the first place rather than ending development when the game finished back in 2014 could be considered as fan service by itself since it's content that otherwise wouldn't have gotten in otherwise, especially Bayonetta and Corrin, who are based on games that finished development or were in development when Smash 3DS/Wii U was released.

Had that same problem. lol

He's not a FE character, therefore no counter. :chuckle:

I'm already getting used to him. Very fun to play as. I've already cleared Classic on 9.0 on my 3DS as him. His Limit Break is very handy to deal with Master Core and it didn't took me many tries.
I asked @Masked Man (仮面の男) to see if his opinion on the translation has changed. But since it's 2 AM right now, he's probably already asleep. Sakurai talks very subjectively (soma always complains about this), which is why it's difficult to always 100% accurately translate what he's saying.

But I think your point about fan service is right on the money. It's a matter of opinion if the fan service was truly fan service or not, and there's no arguing that the DLC has been in production after the main game started.

I still do believe they had plans to do it before the game came out since the game is (arguably) structured very well to handle DLC. But that's another argument for another day. It's 2 AM here :p.

Who do you choose?
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
1. Ridley
2. Dixie Kong
3. Inklings
4. Wolf
5. Toad (Captain Toad alt)

Of course I also despise the idea of Ultra Street Fighter 4 Smash edition. . .because that is what Smash NX port is. . . but a bit worse because then we miss a smash for the generation

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Smash 4 is a game where you can have Cloud fight Kirby on a falling clock tower with Bayonetta music playing. Think about that for a second.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Y'all acting like having two Smash games a generation is just impossible and horrible.

Super Smash Bros. for NX & in the next 5 years Super Smash Bros. 5

There. And the NX port won't have like more than maybe 1 or 2 characters. At most expect just a port with maybe 4-5 extra stages, a small new mode, 8-Player Special Smash and new music tracks.

It's possible but doubtful. Plus I do expect a collection edition mostly due to it'll be hard to get characters back in the next 7-8 years digitally depending if the unified accounts would be beneficial

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
1. Ridley
2. Dixie Kong
3. Inklings
4. Wolf
5. Toad (Captain Toad alt)

Of course I also despise the idea of Ultra Street Fighter 4 Smash edition. . .because that is what Smash NX port is. . . but a bit worse because then we miss a smash for the generation
Not necessarily. I know Reggie and others have said Smash is a once in a generation type of game, but I don't think an NX port would exclude and actual Smash from being made down the road. The Wii U life cycle muddies the waters a bit.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I'm fairly certain that the characters excluded from the list of "realizable fighters" were Banjo-Kazooie, Inkling, Ridley, Snake, and for the NA ballot, Shantae and Shovel Knight.

I'd like to think they were all considered at least.
Would Ridley really have had a high amount of votes placed for his inclusion, though? Considering Sakurai outright said Ridley was nonviable after the base game (making it two Smash titles in a row now) and all the hell and high-water the fan-base went through, you'd assume most would be burned out from even considering him a possibility anymore.

LIQUID12A LIQUID12A This is the first time I've heard this. If true, then I'll give it to them, they're a persistent bunch.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Who do you choose?
3) K. Rool
4) Inklings
5) Bandana Dee
I choose every Nintendo veteran.
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee::wolf::ivysaur::squirtle::popo:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Would Ridley really have had a high amount of votes placed for his inclusion, though? Considering Sakurai outright said Ridley was nonviable after the base game (making it two Smash titles in a row now) and all the hell and high-water the fan-base went through, you'd assume most would be burned out from even considering him a possibility anymore.
It's public knowledge that they went as far as to send a hardcover book to Nintendo pleading for his inclusion.

Ridley's just a flame you can't burn out.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Kenith Kenith
Sorry I didn't get the chance to say farewell to you last night, dude. I've always admired how invested you were in whatever you talked about or were interested in, especially in regards to Smash Bros. I'm glad that you spent so much of your time here with us over the last couple of years. It has truly been a pleasure. Good luck in your future endeavors. ;)

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I've got six third-parties and Snake ain't one. ♪ :<

If you had the choice, would you rather have:
A: The current roster with the three third-party DLC choices that we have.
B: Snake back as the only third-party DLC.

Personally, I'd go with C: have the current roster and have Snake as an addition. And more music tracks for Midgar.

----

Last edited:
I've got six third-parties and Snake ain't one. ♪ :<

If you had the choice, would you rather have:
A: The current roster with the three third-party DLC choices that we have.
B: Snake back as the only third-party DLC.

Personally, I'd go with C: have the current roster and have Snake as an addition.

----
Cloud+Ryu > Snake for me.
Even if I like the dude Cloud alone is more hype for me than Snake.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Snake not being in also means no Konami Mii Fighter costumes.

That makes me a sad Spazzy.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
LIQUID12A LIQUID12A This is the first time I've heard this. If true, then I'll give it to them, they're a persistent bunch.
A pretty secluded project and it was only a few months ago that the small movement sent the book and announced it publicly.

Of course, going by the end of the ballo, it meant jack in the grand scheme of things. Wouldn't be surprised if it was flat out ignored.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
God dang you all! All of you going to leave Smashboards! I'm going to miss all of you! We've been buddies since we first started the leaks group and now speculation is finally over.
I'm getting so emotional. :crying:
The saddest part now is watching the people I speculated throughout an entirety of a year leaving.
It's rather quite heart-breaking. Almost like a smashboards veteran leaving :(
If you are leaving Kenith Kenith I wish you the best :) Don't think I ever had an argument with you and you are a good friend I made here on the boards among others :)
Each and every member of the Leaks Group/ Nintenzone group have been quite the friendly bunch of people towards me.
And it is a shame to see a member leave. It's like losing a friend.
You are all forever my Nintenzone Family :')

Overscan issues aside...

Crazy to think this will be the final Smash 4 roster.
Wolf lives on inside Corrin.
Corrin is the new star fox rep.
What a Twist :dazwa:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Snake, Banjo & Kazooie, Sora, Goku, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Chrom.
These are all characters that could have been highly requested, but not realizable.

I think the top realizable contenders were Bayonetta, Wolf, Inkling, and K. Rool. I doubt there were any other Nintendo owned characters that were able to come near these characters in votes, but there very well could have been some 3rd party characters that were. Despite having pretty much no one voting for them in Japan Shovel Knight and Shantae did have a lot of people backing them up in the US (and I'm guessing Europe too).

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

BrawlBRSTMs3 has finally started uploading extensions of the X soundtrack

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That direct was quite the ending. I'm surprised that we got what we did.

Corrin was on my list for SSB5.

Bayonetta looked a bit too.... mature?

But I'm glad I was wrong. Core gamers are going to have a fun time (and I with them) come February.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So after looking through the character support threads, I realized something. Smash Bros is probably one of the only fighting game series I know where people want the developer to step down when certain characters don't get in. It's kinda interesting actually how much Sakurai is attached to this series.

I'm not one who agrees with him being replaced, but it does make me wonder who could even be the new developer for this series. He can't be the director forever. I honestly can't think of someone who would be perfect for Smash. Even then, this person can also have a different take on the franchise than Sakurai, in good ways and also possibly bad ways.

The day we do see a new director, I'll be optimistic while also cautious. It's definitely going to be a different ball game with a new director. Unless they have similar ideas as Sakurai. :p

I still have a hard time believing that Bayonetta is in Smash.
I'm still looking at Bayonetta's trailer. It's just so surreal and I can't wait until she's released. With her inclusion, it also made me stop waiting and actually get Bayonetta 2 with the first game.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I asked @Masked Man (仮面の男) to see if his opinion on the translation has changed. But since it's 2 AM right now, he's probably already asleep. Sakurai talks very subjectively (soma always complains about this), which is why it's difficult to always 100% accurately translate what he's saying.

But I think your point about fan service is right on the money. It's a matter of opinion if the fan service was truly fan service or not, and there's no arguing that the DLC has been in production after the main game started.

I still do believe they had plans to do it before the game came out since the game is (arguably) structured very well to handle DLC. But that's another argument for another day. It's 2 AM here :p.
Wait? Do you think they planned all the DLC fighters before the game released and just developed them afterwards? Or at least planned DLC near the end of development?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm still looking at Bayonetta's trailer. It's just so surreal and I can't wait until she's released. With her inclusion, it also made me stop waiting and actually get Bayonetta 2 with the first game.
I've watched that trailer countless times and it is still mind-blowing.

I also like her sassy personality and the interaction with the Kid Icarus characters. It was cleverly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom