• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Dragons are often associated with Fire, so even if specific dragons aren't fire based, it kind of makes sense.
Fire beats ice.

I think it's because Dragons are like "prehistoric", and a lot of those animals died thanks to this:

Or something like that, meh.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm still baffled on how Fire Beat Ice but is somehow immune to it when they can easily cancel each other out and most media has Ice being stronger than Fire but Fire can beat Ice as well

Pokemon can't into Science

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Would make more sense if Steel beat Dragon... since metal usually has a hand in any mythological dragon slaying.
Only if magical is it truly effective.

This is why Fairy beats Dragon, they're partially based upon Magic, as many various Youkai/Fey blessed weapons or have magical powers.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I've personally always thought that Poison should beat Water.

Also I bought Yokai Watch. If it isn't everything that BluePikmin hyped it to be I will do the only honorable thing and ban him.

(Not really of course,)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've personally always thought that Poison should beat Water.
This, really. Poison would get such a nice buff from that, and it makes sense because pollution.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Other
Antarctica

Asking about continents and not including all of them :/ (actually NA)
You aren't a penguin.

You aren't a leopard seal.

Quit complaining.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Only if magical is it truly effective.

This is why Fairy beats Dragon, they're partially based upon Magic, as many various Youkai/Fey blessed weapons or have magical powers.
I suppose you're right of course, though metal definitely appears to be a crucial part of the equation. Sometimes a dragon slaying weapon is just something very hard and not necessarily magical beyond that. And you don't hear about magical pillows slaying Dragons, so magic isn't everything.

Steel is Dragon resistant though, right? So at least a Steel/Fairy type is the ultimate Dragon Slayer. Well, besides Ice Fairies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Fire beats ice.

I think it's because Dragons are like "prehistoric", and a lot of those animals died thanks to this:

Or something like that, meh.
I think it's a stretch, as It's not like any of the great extinctions attributed to dinosaurs or any other reptilian clades had anything to do with the onset of an ice age.

Best explanation I've seen here is that dragons = reptiles = coldblooded.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This, really. Poison would get such a nice buff from that, and it makes sense because pollution.
...It should be good against Flying too. Also, I'd like Ice to resist more than itself. I'm thinking Dragon and/or Fairy.

I suppose you're right of course, though metal definitely appears to be a crucial part of the equation. Sometimes a dragon slaying weapon is just something very hard and not necessarily magical beyond that. And you don't hear about magical pillows slaying Dragons, so magic isn't everything.

Steel is Dragon resistant though, right? So at least a Steel/Fairy type is the ultimate Dragon Slayer. Well, besides Ice Fairies.
Yep. Although Knights do slay Dragons(often cause of magical help, but it's still a common story).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I find it kinda stupid that Electric has one weakness.

Shouldn't Grass beat Electric like Ground?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I think it's a stretch, as It's not like any of the great extinctions attributed to dinosaurs or any other reptilian clades had anything to do with the onset of an ice age.

Best explanation I've seen here is that dragons = reptiles = coldblooded.
That's a generalization considering that there are Pokemon who are reptiles that are not weak to ice, including Pokemon from the Dragon Egg Group.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
...It should be good against Flying too. Also, I'd like Ice to resist more than itself. I'm thinking Dragon and/or Fairy.

Yep. Although Knights do slay Dragons(often cause of magical help, but it's still a common story).
I like the idea that Ice is also a representation of a lack of energy or the slowing of things, so you might think it would be resistant to stuff that requires energy or time. That could be just about anything however, but the concept if fun to think about. Even just normal resistant would be neat.

Also, a Steel/Fairy "Knight" Pokemon should be a thing. And make it vaguely resemble Link just for fun~

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was really hoping sliggoo evelved into an awesome fairy dragon pokemon.

Because fairy dragons looks like lizard bugs

...I was really disappointed with pure dragon

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I really want a ghost/dragon at some point because the mere concept sounds amazing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find it kinda stupid that Electric has one weakness.

Shouldn't Grass beat Electric like Ground?
You ground electricity

You can't grass it

"In electrical engineering, ground or earth is the reference point in anelectrical circuit from which voltages are measured, a common return path for electric current, or a direct physical connection to the Earth. Electricalcircuits may be connected to ground(earth) for several reasons."

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Off topic, but some day, one day, I hope overwatch comes to the NX. That would be hype af.
I really like the design of Overwatch. Glad I'm not the only one. If the NX is close to the PS4 and Xbone in specs I would say it's pretty likely.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I like the idea that Ice is also a representation of a lack of energy or the slowing of things, so you might think it would be resistant to stuff that requires energy or time. That could be just about anything however, but the concept if fun to think about. Even just normal resistant would be neat.

Also, a Steel/Fairy "Knight" Pokemon should be a thing. And make it vaguely resemble Link just for fun~
A Dullahan would be a good way to portray that concept since it's a knight-like Fae in Celtic Mythology, though it would be nice to see Pokémon do a slight homage to Zelda if they so choose.

I really want a ghost/dragon at some point because the mere concept sounds amazing.

Giratina is not pleased about being forgotten.

Having said that, a non-legendary Ghost/Dragon type Pokémon would be pretty sweet. Same with a Steel/Dragon, Electric/Dragon and Fire/Dragon (no, I'm not counting the Megas) since there's a lot of neat ideas you can do with those typings outside of what the legendaries have already done.

Edit: :4greninja: on Giratina

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
A Dullahan would be a good way to portray that concept since it's a knight-like Fae in Celtic Mythology, though it would be nice to see Pokémon do a slight homage to Zelda if they so choose.

Giratina is not pleased about being forgotten.

Having said that, a non-legendary Ghost/Dragon type Pokémon would be pretty sweet. Same with a Steel/Dragon, Electric/Dragon and Fire/Dragon (no, I'm not counting the Megas) since there's a lot of neat ideas you can do with those typings outside of what the legendaries have already done.

Edit: :4greninja: on Giratina
That thing looks awfully dark type too, heh.

And I was about to mention Giratina too, but figured I'd be ninja'd.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Lol I almost forgot about Giratina. Which is kinda bad on my part considering it's one of my favorite Gen. 4 Pokemon...

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Speaking of references to other Nintendo franchises in Pokemon and interesting type pairings....

How about a Dark/Fairy type that vaguely resembles Skull Kid?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
10 whole pages since I was here last!

Calm thine selves gentle dudes and gentle ladies of Nintenzone.

You'd think a leak happened or something.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wow, completely forgot about Giratina. I blame 6 AM. It's one of my favorite legendaries.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I am not buyimg the next Pokemon game if it doesn't have mega Stunfisk. jk

or am i?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's been my opinion that legendaries since Gen 3 need to calm down. They just have too much to them.

There of course are some exceptions but... a lot of them look like Digimon.

You see Zygarde's new fanciest form? That thing is straight up a Digimon.

In fact all of Zygarde is a Digimon. Look at its forms and tell me that's not how Digimon work. Cute little blobby things that four forms later turn into big fancy spiky humanoid mother****ers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom