• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

3D World update:

Almost done with World Flower, some of these levels are kinda stressful lol, after this I gotta backtrack for all those Gold Flags and Stamps.... yay.........

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I know what we can do. We can switch the subject and debate whether or not Gematsu was real or not. :awesome:

I'm sure this thread can handle it.

D

Deleted member

So which VA is worse, X4 or X7?
They're both cringe-worthy, but if I had to decide between the two, I'd pick X4 solely because X sounds like a girl and Zero's infamous "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH????!!!!!!" line.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
X7 has Flame Hyenard.

BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BURN BURN TO THE GROUND WOO TRIFORMATION WOO BURN BURN BURN

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
X7, hah, don't even get me started. X sounds like a whiney little snot, Zero sounds like he's trying way to hard to be ''edgy'' and Axel is voiced by Lani Manile, who isn't that good of a fit for him tbh.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Spam Infraction
BURNBURNBURNBURNTOTHEBURNBURNTOTHEGROUNDBURNTOTHETRIFORMATIONBURNBURNBUTNTOTHEGROUNDWHEWBURNBURNBURNBURNTOTEGROUNDBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am terrible at customer service.

I can't take people's crap with a smile

It's sad that's what customer service is about IMO. Dealing with horrible angry people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a question about Pokemon.

Why is Dark super effective against Ghost?
I saw a really good explanation about it somewhere, but I'll do my best to paraphrase.

Ghosts are revered in Japan for the most part. The dead, throughout their history, have always been respected. Dark, in Japan, is more of the "Evil" type. They don't care about these types of things, and as such, hold no respect for their dead, leading to them doing double damage. It's like how Fighting beats Dark: Fighting is the honorable type among them.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I am terrible at customer service.

I can't take people's crap with a smile

It's sad that's what customer service is about IMO. Dealing with horrible angry people.
Customer service in (especially) America has become more about making the customer feel special then actually give them proper service. I don't like the attitude of a lot of customers either. I worked in fast food in high school/ college and some people are mean. 80% of the customers were okay, but the 20% that were awful stick out in your mind. Customers feel like they deserve special treatment which is a dangerous mindset. It's even seen in the Smash fan base with people saying that characters "deserve to get in" or if the character doesn't get in then it's because of "Sakurai bias" or some other factitious statement. Customers in my mind--deserve respect, but unnecessary pandering isn't healthy.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Customer service in (especially) America has become more about making the customer feel special then actually give them proper service. I don't like the attitude of a lot of customers either. I worked in fast food in high school/ college and some people are mean. 80% of the customers were okay, but the 20% that were awful stick out in your mind. Customers feel like they deserve special treatment which is a dangerous mindset. It's even seen in the Smash fan base with people saying that characters "deserve to get in" or if the character doesn't get in then it's because of "Sakurai bias" or some other factitious statement. Customers in my mind--deserve respect, but unnecessary pandering isn't healthy.
Well, you gotta understand, those customers are the source of your income.

Don't let a customer walk all over you but don't overstep your boundaries when dealing with them

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well I got 4 different answers, but the conclusion I have come to is that Dark beats Ghost because Japan.
It's like how Fighting beats Dark: Fighting is the honorable type among them.
When I tried making sense of why Fighting beats Dark the most logical conclusion I was able to make was "a skilled fighter can overcome darkness". :p
I guess a good fighter can defeat evil.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I believe they are ducks.
Aren't they kappa? I always thought of kappa as more like turtle goblins or something

Edit: although lotoad doesn't look like a turtle

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I suppose my biggest question with this is why Cottonee and Whimsicott are considered rodents. :p
Whimsicott is totally a ram. An ungulate

Edit: he's based on
Vegetable Lamb of Tartary

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Well, you gotta understand, those customers are the source of your income.

Don't let a customer walk all over you but don't overstep your boundaries when dealing with them
That's true. A balance must be figured out. We were actually discussing this topic a bit last night in the Source Gaming site meeting.

The issue we have is that the character/editorial/opinion articles are way more popular than the carefully crafted researched/ translated articles (in terms of both comments and views). Therefore...it seems like you guys want more of that kind of stuff. However, we've built our identity on providing sources (heck it's in our name) and that fact allows us to differentiate between other blogs and content. Achieving a balance between articles that are somewhat fluff (though in all honestly even our "fluff" articles take a long time to prepare) and articles that are "important" will be something that we are constantly trying to achieve.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the record, here's my take on why everything beats everything.

Fighting beats Normal because they have mastered martial arts, more so than "normal" things.
Fighting beats Rock because of the whole "chop a boulder in half" strength image.
Fighting beats Steel for the same reasons as Rock.
Fighting beats Ice for the same reason as Rock and Steel.
Fighting beats Dark because good conquers evil; honorable fighting beats cheap shots.
Flying beats Fighting because birds are hard to punch/aerial advantage.
Flying beats Bug because birds eat insects.
Flying beats Grass because Grass is limited to the ground, while Flying has aerial advantage.
Poison beats Grass because pollution.
Poison beats Fairy because cold iron POISONS fairies, so Poison should too.
Ground beats Poison since it dilutes pollution.
Ground beats Rock because rocks are susceptible to earthquakes.
Ground beats Steel because steel buildings can fall in earthquakes.
Ground beats Fire because sand and dirt can put out flames.
Ground beats Electric since it grounds the electricity.
Rock beats Flying because birds have hollow bones, so throwing a rock at them kills them.
Rock beats Bug because rocks can kill bugs.
Rock beats Fire for the same reason as Ground does.
Rock beats Ice because throwing a rock at ice can break it.
Bug beats Grass because some bugs eat plants.
Bug beats Psychic since it's a fear, which is a mental state, like psychic abilities.
Bug beats Dark because bugs have no morality and can't judge good vs evil. Also nocturnal often.
Ghost beats Ghost because ghosts are often affected by other spectral forces.
Ghost beats Psychic for the same reason as Bug does.
Steel beats Rock because metal tools can break apart rocks.
Steel beats Ice for the same reason it beats Rock.
Steel beats Fairy because fairies get poisoned when touched with cold iron.
Fire beats Bug because bugs die in fires.
Fire beats Steel because steel can melt.
Fire beats Grass because forest fires.
Fire beats Ice because ice melts.
Water beats Ground because erosion.
Water beats Rock because erosion.
Water beats Fire because water douses fires.
Grass beats Ground because grass takes nutrients from soil.
Grass beats Rock for the same reason it beats Ground, and also because trees can become paper, which covers rock.
Grass beats Water because it absorbs it.
Electric beats Flying because things high up get struck by lightning easily.
Electric beats Water because water conducts electricity.
Psychic beats Fighting because Brain>Brawn.
Psychic beats Poison because Psychic relates to the mind, and enhanced minds (scientists) developed cures for poisons. This is a stretch. Otherwise, mind over matter.
Ice beats Flying because birds can get lost and die in snowstorms.
Ice beats Ground because Ice gets in cracks in the ground and expands and ruins the ground.
Ice beats Grass because plants die in winter.
Ice beats Dragon because I have no idea.
Dragon beats Dragon because a supreme being can be taken out by another supreme being.
Dark beats Ghost because dirty fighters likely don't respect the dead.
Dark beats Psychic because both the physical darkness and evil are human fears. See Ghost and Bug.
Fairy beats Fighting because in classical tales Fairies often defeated skilled fighters with their trickery.
Fairy beats Dark because even evil-doers get tricked by fairies because fairies are terrible creatures.
Fairy beats Dragon because the dragon always dies in a FAIRY tale.

Literally the only one I can't figure out is why Ice beats Dragon.

Edit: Going with Swamp's answer of them being cold-blooded and thus dying in cold temperatures.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Fighting beats Normal because they have mastered martial arts, more so than "normal" things.
Fighting beats Rock because of the whole "chop a boulder in half" strength image.
Fighting beats Dark because good conquers evil; honorable fighting beats cheap shots.
Flying beats Grass because Grass is limited to the ground, while Flying has aerial advantage.
Rock beats Flying because birds have hollow bones, so throwing a rock at them kills them.
Bug beats Psychic since it's a fear, which is a mental state, like psychic abilities.
Bug beats Dark because bugs have no morality and can't judge good vs evil. Also nocturnal often.
Grass beats Rock for the same reason it beats Ground, and also because trees can become paper, which covers rock.
Psychic beats Poison because Psychic relates to the mind, and enhanced minds (scientists) developed cures for poisons. This is a stretch. Otherwise, mind over matter.
Ice beats Ground because Ice gets in cracks in the ground and expands and ruins the ground.
Dragon beats Dragon because a supreme being can be taken out by another supreme being.
Dark beats Psychic because both the physical darkness and evil are human fears. See Ghost and Bug.
Fairy beats Fighting because in classical tales Fairies often defeated skilled fighters with their trickery.
Fairy beats Dark because even evil-doers get tricked by fairies because fairies are terrible creatures.

Maybe Ice beating Dragon has to do with the old Chinese mythology. Since you need to swim up the waterfall, if you freeze the water then you can't become a dragon.

(Totally just made that up, but it kind of works?)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Dragons are often associated with Fire, so even if specific dragons aren't fire based, it kind of makes sense.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I thought dragons were weak to ice because Dinosaurs died due to the Ice Age

That's true. A balance must be figured out. We were actually discussing this topic a bit last night in the Source Gaming site meeting.

The issue we have is that the character/editorial/opinion articles are way more popular than the carefully crafted researched/ translated articles (in terms of both comments and views). Therefore...it seems like you guys want more of that kind of stuff. However, we've built our identity on providing sources (heck it's in our name) and that fact allows us to differentiate between other blogs and content. Achieving a balance between articles that are somewhat fluff (though in all honestly even our "fluff" articles take a long time to prepare) and articles that are "important" will be something that we are constantly trying to achieve.
People like those because it finally exposes the myths that surrounds Smash into the open.

IMO, I like your researched stuff moreso than the opinionated articles because being the history nut I am, I love looking into the true aspects of video game development and learning about what choices were made for the fighters, stages, modes and everything else.

Going by unsorced rumors kinda irked me and I like that you guys open those things wide open for the world to see.

I wanna see more of that and more history behind development. It was at one point the reason why I subscribed to DYKG before I figured out how wrong they were and atleast watch a few Unseen 64 stuff and YuriofWind beta videos because Game Development and history is much more interesting and informing about what goes on in the business world of gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom