• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just got back from visiting this new gaming joint, mainly for Dungeons & Dragons and that kind of thing.

I watched an hour of people playing Magic: The Gathering and I still don't know how to play it at all.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I just got back from visiting this new gaming joint, mainly for Dungeons & Dragons and that kind of thing.

I watched an hour of people playing Magic: The Gathering and I still don't know how to play it at all.
It's not too hard to learn. I played a ton of Yu-Gi-Oh back in the day (read: two years ago) and while trying to teach me, my friend related most cards to that of the game i'm familiar with. It really boils down to if you want to keep shelling out money for more meta cards as they come out. Which is why I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh- that and the ban list kept screwing me over. RIP Wind-Ups. You were such a fun deck...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not too hard to learn. I played a ton of Yu-Gi-Oh back in the day (read: two years ago) and while trying to teach me, my friend related most cards to that of the game i'm familiar with. It really boils down to if you want to keep shelling out money for more meta cards as they come out. Which is why I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh- that and the ban list kept screwing me over. RIP Wind-Ups. You were such a fun deck...
I kinda realised that when I was there.

It's the sort of game that you probably can't learn simply by watching but you just need to research a bit or have a friend show you.

I personally wouldn't be able to get into it though, from what I could observe while I was there, it's expensive if you want to keep up with the meta and it also takes a lot of dedication to build decks, especially since there are multiple ways to play the game.

D

Deleted member

Yu-Gi-Oh was one of my favorite games to play as a kid and my friends and I actually knew how to play it(unilke the Pokemon TCG)
It was always super fun but we stopped sometime during Middle School
Some of my friends play Magic nowadays and they taught me how to play(which I now have already forgotten), it was fun but I'll always prefer YGO for being more straightforward

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yu-Gi-Oh was one of my favorite games to play as a kid and my friends and I actually knew how to play it(unilke the Pokemon TCG)
It was always super fun but we stopped sometime during Middle School
Some of my friends play Magic nowadays and they taught me how to play(which I now have already forgotten), it was fun but I'll always prefer YGO for being more straightforward
YGO may have been straightforward back in the day, but not now- Magic is MUCH more straightforward. YGO has things like "missing timing" where if the chain goes backwards, certain effects won't go off because their effect would start a new chain and a new chain can't be started until the old chain is resolved. It's really weird and confusing. Not to mention stuff like Synchro summoning, XYZs, and now Pendulums (which I don't even know what they do). Magic is straight chaining and that's it. As someone who's dabbled in one and played the other extensively, Magic is the much easier one to play.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I played YuGiOh! and the Pokemon TCG back in the day.

I even had one of these things:

I also had the Pokemon TCG video game.

But I just kinda grew out of them I guess. I recall being quite good though.

I still have a bunch of YuGiOh! cards lying around somewhere though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Some Smash Crusade news
http://imgur.com/a/ba78T

Shantae got a resprite even though she isn't out yet
So that's cool, I guess :4pacman:
At least Crash made that game and not Bayo

:troll:

As far as YuGiOh goes, it's a whole new ballgame comparing to the old games. I started with my roommate and friends playing from various cards from different decks I bought. It wasn't long before my friend started going hardcore and became impossible to beat because of the ****ing powerful cards. These days, I like to try it, but it's too complicated to follow.

Now if I can just make ONE Harpy Ladies deck, I'm good

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oh, also! @KeenbobIsTehSmrt @Frostwraith Chrono. Chrono. @BandanaWaddleDee I hope all of you know that your decisions have swayed me and on my lunch break I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X and once I get home and eat dinner and probably play a few League of Legends matches with friends, my usual nightly routine, I'll be cracking it open and playing until I pass out.

D

Deleted member

YGO may have been straightforward back in the day, but not now- Magic is MUCH more straightforward. YGO has things like "missing timing" where if the chain goes backwards, certain effects won't go off because their effect would start a new chain and a new chain can't be started until the old chain is resolved. It's really weird and confusing. Not to mention stuff like Synchro summoning, XYZs, and now Pendulums (which I don't even know what they do). Magic is straight chaining and that's it. As someone who's dabbled in one and played the other extensively, Magic is the much easier one to play.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, about how I found put YGO is basically Competitive Pokemon but with much worse ban lists(why do you ban Monster Reborn, one of the most iconic cards?)
Synchro summon is simple enough to me, though I stopped playing some time after they were introduced
I don't know about any other kind of specific summons but wasn't the XYZ monsters fusions?
And what is a chain?

But by playing by the old classic rules(which I did with my cousin recently), it's much simpler and enjoyable

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, about how I found put YGO is basically Competitive Pokemon but with much worse ban lists(why do you ban Monster Reborn, one of the most iconic cards?)
Synchro summon is simple enough to me, though I stopped playing some time after they were introduced
I don't know about any other kind of specific summons but wasn't the XYZ monsters fusions?
And what is a chain?

But by playing by the old classic rules(which I did with my cousin recently), it's much simpler and enjoyable
Player 1: I summon a monster
Player 2: I activate Bottomless Traphole
Player 1: I respond with Dark Bribe.

So what ends up happening is Dark Bribe cancels Bottomless, Player 2 draws two cards off of Dark Bribe and the monster summon is effective. That's a chain. It's anytime a card effect goes off.

And XYZ monsters involve laying the cards with the same level on top of each other. Like Synchro-ing but without the need for a tuner.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I switched from YGO to Cardfight Vanguard.

It's a fun game but dead around these parts, all everyone plays is YGO or Magic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@PushDustIn I hope you don't mind me asking but....

Do you happen to know what Hyrule, Lorule and Ravio are called in Japanese? ^^; (From A Link Between Worlds)

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/source-at-least-2-sonic-team-titles-intended-for-2016/

So... this is interesting.

This could line up with that Sonic 25th leak from awhile back.

Something to note is that TSSZ has a good track record with rumors, so far at least.
If the part about a Sonic game that was intended to be released before Lost World is true and they've been working on it since then, then I really do hope that means it is a huge title.

And I'm surprised and a little disheartened to hear that Sonic Unleashed is "up for debate" in terms of whether or not it should be ported to PC. It absolutely should be, it's the most technically impressive Sonic game and if they wanted they COULD fix up some small issues with the game, like incorporating the control improvements from Generations. Also the modding scene would be amazing for it. From what I have seen in the various Sonic communities, it's the title people want a PC port of the most.

Though it's cool to hear that Colours is high priority for PC porting, at least.

-----------

Skymiibo standalone release confirmed.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Gotta wonder how they'll port Colors to PC.

PC gamers aren't gonna be glad the game has to be locked to 30fps lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gotta wonder how they'll port Colors to PC.

PC gamers aren't gonna be glad the game has to be locked to 30fps lol
I don't see how that would be an issue since the console versions of Generations were locked to 30FPS yet the PC version isn't.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I never did get why we still have console games at 30fps.
You'd think in this modern day and age that wouldn't be a thing, and yet...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I never did get why we still have console games at 30fps.
You'd think in this modern day and age that wouldn't be a thing, and yet...
It's got to do with how much you are pushing the system.

I mean, games like Smash run at 60FPS, but Smash doesn't really push the system graphically. It looks great but it's mostly the art direction. Most of the textures really aren't that great and the models aren't too terribly high-poly. Plus, it is only loading up small environments.

But with something like Xenoblade Chronicles X? Yeah, it's a marvel that thing even runs at a consistent 30FPS. And even then, it has to make some graphical compromises.

Basically if you want to push the raw visuals of the game to the max, you can't do 60FPS.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I don't see how that would be an issue since the console versions of Generations were locked to 30FPS yet the PC version isn't.
Colors' physics engine was tied to fps, Generations' wasn't.

Cranking up Colors' fps to 60fps causes it to bug out (a similar issue caused Tales of Zestiria's PS4 and PC release to be locked at 30fps).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Colors' physics engine was tied to fps, Generations' wasn't.

Cranking up Colors' fps to 60fps causes it to bug out (a similar issue caused Tales of Zestiria's PS4 and PC release to be locked at 30fps).
Lost World PC actually had that problem too, but they fixed it in a patch.

So I'm sure they can figure something out for Colours.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Lost World PC actually had that problem too, but they fixed it in a patch.

So I'm sure they can figure something out for Colours.
I remember Resident Evil 4 for PC having issues like that too. When the framerate was uncapped, grenades would bounce twice, then...never explode. Valkyria Chronicles on PC is also strange, because playing at 60fps causes tanks to fire faster when intercepting targets. This basically means you get torn to shreds in situations that could be survived in normal play.

Weird how that works.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I remember Resident Evil 4 for PC having issues like that too. When the framerate was uncapped, grenades would bounce twice, then...never explode. Valkyria Chronicles on PC is also strange, because playing at 60fps causes tanks to fire faster when intercepting targets. This basically means you get torn to shreds in situations that could be survived in normal play.

Weird how that works.
In Lost World PC, while the game was locked to 60FPS (they advertised this as a feature in the launch trailer), the entire game logic was tied to the frame rate. This basically meant that instead of the frame rate getting lower when your PC was struggling (a common issue especially on laptops like my own due to the game not properly supporting NVIDIA Optimus technology), the frame rate stayed the same, but everything moved in slow motion as if it was the matrix (except for 2D sprite elements, they ran like normal anyway). Also different objects wouldn't work right, like springs and dash panels, they usually sent you too far or not far enough.

They patched the game so that game logic wasn't tied to frame rate though, and instead, the game just cut frames like it should if you couldn't run it at a constant 60FPS.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
In Lost World PC, while the game was locked to 60FPS (they advertised this as a feature in the launch trailer), the entire game logic was tied to the frame rate. This basically meant that instead of the frame rate getting lower when your PC was struggling (a common issue especially on laptops like my own due to the game not properly supporting NVIDIA Optimus technology), the frame rate stayed the same, but everything moved in slow motion as if it was the matrix (except for 2D sprite elements, they ran like normal anyway). Also different objects wouldn't work right, like springs and dash panels, they usually sent you too far or not far enough.

They patched the game so that game logic wasn't tied to frame rate though, and instead, the game just cut frames like it should if you couldn't run it at a constant 60FPS.
That happens in Re4 and REmake for PC. The game slows down and audio gets desynced.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just tried a 2015 "Best of Your Tumblr" thingy:

I'm noticing a pattern here...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lasers are much less advanced and much weaker than plasma bolts anyway

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/source-at-least-2-sonic-team-titles-intended-for-2016/

So... this is interesting.

This could line up with that Sonic 25th leak from awhile back.

Something to note is that TSSZ has a good track record with rumors, so far at least.
Interesting. No wii u or 3ds release mentioned is weird. I feel like it will probably happen, but I don't see why it's not mentioned.
Hmm, maybe we'll see both a Classic and a Modern Sonic game next year.
I can see this being the very case.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
On the clone situation, the biggest thing about it that people tend to forget that as of now:

Is :4luigi: still a clone?

Because his whole moveset changed since 64 and he isn't even a clone anymore aside from 3-4 moves. He's separated from Mario so much that he isn't even a clone

:4falco::4ganondorf: aren't what they were in Melee especially with Ganondorf's command grab, Up-Tilt (which been there since Melee), down smash, forward tilt, forward air and ***. Falco is the same from ALL of his normals aside from 2 moves.

And then :4feroy:, he doesn't even look like Marth anymore and doesn't even nothing similar with normals due to how much he's been changed up.

:4tlink: doesn't even count anymore since he isn't less of a Link clone due to multiple things like his aerials tilts, animation and size.

The only true clones are :4darkpit::4lucina: just because they were upgraded alts and :4drmario: has atleast 2 major differences that makes him unique

D

Deleted member

On the clone situation, the biggest thing about it that people tend to forget that as of now:

Is :4luigi: still a clone?

Because his whole moveset changed since 64 and he isn't even a clone anymore aside from 3-4 moves. He's separated from Mario so much that he isn't even a clone

:4falco::4ganondorf: aren't what they were in Melee especially with Ganondorf's command grab, Up-Tilt (which been there since Melee), down smash, forward tilt, forward air and ***. Falco is the same from ALL of his normals aside from 2 moves.

And then :4feroy:, he doesn't even look like Marth anymore and doesn't even nothing similar with normals due to how much he's been changed up.

:4tlink: doesn't even count anymore since he isn't less of a Link clone due to multiple things like his aerials tilts, animation and size.

The only true clones are :4darkpit::4lucina: just because they were upgraded alts and :4drmario: has atleast 2 major differences that makes him unique
Well, there's a reason they're called SEMI-clones
And I prefer to think that clones are Expies instead :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom