• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
:4mewtwo: - I knew Mewtwo would return in Smash 4 thanks to the fact him and Charizard were the only two Pokemon to receive Mega Evolutions, and Mewtwo just had another movie at the time. I honestly thought Mewtwo was going to be revealed during that April 8, 2014 Direct, but boy was I wrong. And it was thanks to the surprise that it was the first time I got hyped for a newcomer. That aside, I still had a feeling that something special with Mewtwo considering all that he had going for him (there was even that statement back in 2013 when Sakurai spoke during an X/Y E3 conference saying that he was thinking about bringing back Mewtwo), and before long, we returned!
The Sakurai statement makes a lot of sense since the roster was finalized in 2012 and the fact that Mewtwo was the first DLC character and the choice to get him for free or paid.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Eh, I joined very late in pre-release speculah, so nothing there. Though DLC-wise...

I cynically stood by the possibility of Wolf not making it in an environment that mostly treated him with questionably high optimism in regards to chances of making it, and over time went on to predict that he wouldn't make it. I was right. Morbid prediction to make and revel in, but it happened.
The irony.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I predicted Wii Fit trainer, Robin, Duck Hunt Dog, Cloud, and Bayonetta

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
*Turns on the Tv

First thing that comes on,

a Rick Roll....

Damn it Tv, it's just like South Park Predicted.

I'm honestly surprised this just happened.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The first few of my predictions you won't find any evidence of on Smasboards or anywhere really. I didn't join until after Rosalina was confirmed. It was all just what I thought to myself or talked about IRL.

D

Deleted member

From what I remember, the predictions I got right were :4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4shulk: and maybe :4littlemac:. I didn't expect :4megaman: prior to his reveal due to his third party status (at least :4pacman: is the mascot of the co-developer of Smash 4).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got my Geno in Smash

I predicted that

Sorta

Not really

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I said Cloud was the most likely FF character. So...do I get an Internet cookie?

I wasn't very active pre-release speculation so I can't claim to have predicted anything before they were revealed.

I did think Black Pit was a boss on Palutena's Temple though. That was actually my first posts on SmashBoards since 2007.

I did predict, and told you guys that we wouldn't get a lot of DLC. I also correctly stated that Wolf wasn't a shoo-in, and not coming back...against all odds.

Also, my Ultimate Smash Poll ended the day before Smash DLC was announced. I'm essentially a prophet. It's confirmed guys.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Things I was right about:
  • :4littlemac::4megaman::4pacman::4palutena:&:4mii: being in the game
  • DLC was happening and :4mewtwo: wasn't the sole fighter.
  • :4sonic::4zss::4myfriends: would all come back
  • Chorus Kids weren't gonna be in the game
  • Shovel Knight wasn't gonna be in the game
  • If :4lucina: got in she would be a Marth clone
  • Tower of Smash was fake (my proudest moment)
  • Rayman was fake (that was easy due to Mewtwo and no gameplay footage)
  • :snake: wouldn't be back

Things I was wrong about
  • ESRB leak
  • :wolf: would be DLC
  • 3DS stages on Wii U
  • A DK rep
  • :4cloud: was the last third party character.
  • :popo: Would be in the game
  • Takamaru and/or Mach Rider as the retro reps
  • A new Zelda character
  • :4bayonetta: couldn't get in due to risqué character (something I'm proud of being wrong)
However there was this: :4robinm: was a straight up pipedream especially during the worst of the Gemastu hype to where I thought we could never have him in the game.....Well Sakurai had the same thought process I did as well

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I actually can't find Corrin on any of his prediction lists, either.

Just support and a prediction that he'd be in SSB5. Supporting and predicting are not the same thing.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I did predict, and told you guys that we wouldn't get a lot of DLC. I also correctly stated that Wolf wasn't a shoo-in, and not coming back...against all odds.
I knew we weren't getting a lot of DLC, people were way too optimistic about that. Sadly, I was wrong about Wolf I thought he was still likely, but it does make sense why he's not in. Oh well. I could always go back to brawl or use my custom Wolf Mii. If it weren't for the translations that PushDustIn PushDustIn did and the files the hackers found, I would've been really confused.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who I predicted?
:4bowserjr::4littlemac::4megaman::4mii::4pacman::4palutena::4shulk: and :4mewtwo:'s return.

Who I thought could happen, but didn't fully predict since there was more than one option?
:4feroy:(I thought it was possible but thought Chrom would get first pick), :4duckhunt:(I thought he was in the retro running), :rosalina:(I thought she stood an outside shot, but behind Toad and Junior).

Who blindsided me?
:4villager:(Sakurai's statement pre-Brawl, man...), :4wiifit:(Enough said), :4greninja: ("Brawl+Mewtwo"), :4robinm: and :4lucina:(still feels bad, man...), :4darkpit: and :4drmario:'s return (thought they'd be alts at best), and :4corrin: all :4cloud: four :4ryu: DLC :4bayonetta: newcomers for varying reasons (too much FE, not enough Nintendo relation, already have Mega Man, not iconic).

Who I predicted that DIDN'T get in?
K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom. Add in Inkling for DLC. Sure there were others like Goroh and Starfy, but I wasn't nearly as confident in them.

Over all, fully predicted eight newcomers/returning Melee vets (ten if Miis are counted for three), and thought three more stood decent odds but didn't put too much stock in them. I ended up missing seven from the base game entirely (three of which being the last-minute clones) and four more or the DLC, and got three prediction outright wrong, plus my DLC prediction.

Over all, not too bad. :p

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I guessed all of that, too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I was actually the first person here who mentioned that the New Content Approaching stream felt like it was closing the book on veterans.
I think you were!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I actually can't find Corrin on any of his prediction lists, either.

Just support and a prediction that he'd be in SSB5. Supporting and predicting are not the same thing.
Well, his title reads "I thought these two were possible Smash newcomers!"

Then again, I don't remember him dismissing the chances of any character at all.

:231:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Considering I didn't know of the Gematsu rumor until around March, my predictions were a bit different (As time went on my list was influenced by Gematsu). Even so, here were characters I predicted and got right based on what I thought and also hearing from other people.

:4megaman::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina::4littlemac::4shulk:

Rosalina was one I didn't really expect, though I thought she had a good chance to appear (My reaction to learning she got in was being surprised a character was announced, then thinking she was a cool choice :p). Shulk was another character I had no idea about, though I thought he was a character who could make it in due to seeing him on multiple want lists.

Other than that, my expectations were off. Never expected Greninja, but thought he would have been a cool choice. Bowser Jr. Seemed less likely to me due to Rosalina. Villager never had crossed my mind as a fighter. Never predicted Wii Fit Trainer (What a surprise). Didn't know much about Fire Emblem, so I just rode the Chrom bandwagon. Didn't like the idea of miis, so I just wasn't expecting them (I do like how they turned out however). Wanted Takamaru then Mach Rider after his deconfirmation, so Duck Hunt was not a character I expected. Then there's DLC, which was just a wild ride I don't want to discuss lol.

I feel like next game my guesses will be more spot on due to the events of this games speculation (Plus I'll be more involved in it). Speculation is in a love-hate relationship with me. I love discussing what could get in the game and also seeing if my expectations are met, yet I also hate the heated arguments and insults that will be thrown at people (Ignorance or just unneeded hatred over a video game).

Last edited:

Chrono.

Oh yeah, I always will and still stand by Snake being a one-time favor. I never thought he was coming back (even more so with the Ballot since it came in the advent of #****onami.)

On the flip side, I thought Roy was an "out there" choice and look how that one turned out.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I honestly only really remember making some serious predictions about WFT, Villager and Mewtwo (the first two being before I was even on the site), but the rest is a bit of a blur; probably guessed a few of them, but it doesn't really matter to me at this point. I was really supportive of the Gematsu and ESRB leaks, however.

Regardless, we've gotten a ton of surprises this time around and I am very happy with all of it; Greninja and Mii Brawler feel like characters that suit me best.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Anyone remember when Agnus was the Kid Icarus shoo-in?
Yes. I enjoyed the sight of him being an Assist instead of playable a little TOO much, methinks.

Also it's Magnus, unless that was a typo in which case carry on.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I guessed all of that, too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I was actually the first person here who mentioned that the New Content Approaching stream felt like it was closing the book on veterans.
I thought all that didn't mean anything, but I guess it did since Mewtwo is listed as a newcomer and Lucas and Roy are the only veterans as DLC. It makes sense at least because I guess Sakurai didn't want to have a lot of cut fighters as DLC.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't make a prediction list

At most there were just a couple people I expected to be in

Although I usually gave conditions

Such as believing Greninja would be in, IF they added a gen 6 rep

And I really didn't think they'd add Zozoark

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Apart from Wolf's chances being questionable I gave up on predictions after both the KKR Mii and Cloud.

The KKR Mii because, logically, costumes could be seen as a death sentence(even when taking the potential ambiguity of them into question, which I stood by during this time); the fact that it happened midway through the ballot and to the supposed ballot superstar(look how that turned out) didn't help, and after Cloud? It was almost anybody's ballgame(amongst realizable characters, but that's highly ambiguous).

Going by the dangers of online polling? We didn't even get anyone(that wasn't completely impossible due to being an NPC; costumes were still ambiguous at the time) from the top 26 of the ICP.

Really goes to show how people with predictions and expectations can be screwed over without being careful.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
His prediction list also included every single remaining cut veteran (literally all of them barring Ice Climbers), Professor Layton, Frogger, and quite a few more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

When you predict a ridiculous amount of characters at the same time, you're bound to get some right. When you put it all into perspective (namely, the amount of characters on his prediction list vs the amount he got right, and the amount most people put on theirs vs the amount they got right), it's really not impressive at all.

EDIT: Looking through his posts, the following were all predicted by him at one point or another....

- Bayonetta
- Corrin
- Young Link
- Pichu
- Wolf
- Snake
- Ivysaur
- Squirtle
- Layton
- Frogger
- Shantae
- Shovel Knight
- Rayman
- Dixie Kong
- Chorus Kids

Sources: 1, 2
There were a couple more I remember, as well, from the pre-DLC days.

Sheriff, Prince of Sable, Doctor Kawashima, Nintendog (funny how all of these became Assists though), a Hanafuda box with arms and legs named Mr. Hanafuda, and at one point, Goku. :p

But no joke though, I'd actually love it if Frogger were playable. It's just such an iconic and fun arcade game. Too bad it's owned by Konami of all companies though. :/

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This was seriously a thing? How?

He's not even a major character, he's even more of a side character than Dark Pit.
Because fandom.

There were Tharja and Owain FE bandwagons, too.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

He's not even a major character, he's even more of a side character than Dark Pit.
Most people were certain Dark Pit would be a palette swap or a stage boss on Palutena's Temple (after the Palutena trailer). Which is funny in hindsight, because so many people took Ridley's stage boss announcement as a tease that he's playable, and took the tease of Dark Pit being playable as a stage boss announcement. :dizzy:

Dunno why Magnus was viewed as a front-runner, but still, that would be the reason why Dark Pit was viewed as a no-hoper.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I believe the one thing no one could even predict was 8-Player Smash because it was something that I don't think crossed ANYONE'S MIND and it was the greatest feature for Smash Wii U.

And funny thing about it was that we should have seen this coming when :4bowserjr: was in the game.

Plus like I said, debunking Tower of Smash has been my best accomplishment for Smash speculation due to the sole fact it showed me how desperate Smash fans were so hard. Which why crap like this exist http://youtu.be/CmsoJe6lQyc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I was there when it was prevalent, but...

...it was before Uprising came out and everyone thought we'd just get a Kid Icarus newcomer in general. Support was divided between Medusa, Magnus, and Palutena, generally with the Magnus supporters thinking he'd get Ike's moveset after the latter gets "inevitably cut" for the new Fire Emblem protagonist (I don't think we knew Chrom at that point?). After the game came out nearly all support went to Palutena though, for understandable reasons.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Predictions::4robinm::4littlemac::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4megaman:Dixie,and Ridley

These were my ultimate safe bets.Robin because i wouldn't to be the opposite of everyone and not support chrom.Little mac because boxing ring stage.Mii because custom characters.Palutena because uprising happened and sakurai was making smash.Pacman because namco was working on the game.Dixie because of tropical freeze.Ridley because he was my bias pick.

didn't not predict::4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4greninja::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifitm::4ryu:

6 out of 17 aint so bad

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly though Dark Pit WAS playable after the video, but kept getting hit with "IF HE WAS PLAYABLE, HE'D HAVE A PAGE LIKE LUCINA!" people.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I was there when it was prevalent, but...

...it was before Uprising came out and everyone thought we'd just get a Kid Icarus newcomer in general. Support was divided between Medusa, Magnus, and Palutena, generally with the Magnus supporters thinking he'd get Ike's moveset after the latter gets "inevitably cut" for the new Fire Emblem protagonist (I don't think we knew Chrom at that point?). After the game came out nearly all support went to Palutena though, for understandable reasons.
I remember people tossing around the names of every female in that game and Magnus still being brought up a lot, though, so at least in some circles it kept up.

IMO E3 2013 is what killed support for every non-Palutena character, not KI:U's release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom