• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Why'd you chose Kidd over Maka for Soul Eater? Maka is the main character after all, and having Kidd doesn't mean one character from Soul Eater it means 3, seeing as there also his weapons Liz and Patty.

But forget Maka and Kidd the better Soul Eater rep is Tsugmi from the spin-off series Soul Eater Not, after all why have the core series protagonist, when you can have the side series protagonist instead :troll:

Although with that said, Tsugumi actually does have something uniquely her own, that being she has 2 meisters, them being Meme and Anya, so having her in would make for an interesting moveset.
Although she actually gets 3 by the end of the manga, leading to a joke about her being a player
For the most part i choose him for my bias towards Death.Tbh we didn't really consider Maka.We brought up soul eater and instantly said death or black star.I just choose death because i like him more *shrug* probably gonna rework the list anyway.So i probably will just add Maka

Khoru

Smash Champion
wait, death the kid isn't the protag of soul eater?
(knows nothing about anime)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
OH MY GOD THIS GAME LOOKS SO AMAZING!!! I WANT TO PUT IT ON MY SHELF NOW!!!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I finally got a thign to extract the thign from paper jam, and I can;'t realyl batch export every textures but.....

VirtualBox_Windows 10_28_12_2015_22_06_49.png

This can allow to view animation in models :)

Though, the regular paper mario one doesn't load that good :(

But still, I am not going to go further because I don't want to know too much :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
wait, death the kid isn't the protag of soul eater?
(knows nothing about anime)
Soul Eater basically has a trio of teams that make up your main cast.
Death The Kid admittedly is the most powerful of them.
But Maka and Soul are up-played as the major focus of them and are promoted more as the stars.

Edit: I mean... Soul's chosen name is the actual name of the show.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Note how I said "in some contexts".

I looked it up and it's apparently the "Engrish" pronunciation of "wife".

Meaning I am technically correct. It's not the actual, literal Japanese word (I knew it wasn't but I knew it came from Japan), but it's sometimes used in a colloquial context and derives from the way a Japanese person might pronounce the English word "wife". It's basically a slang word of sorts.
Not sure if you ignored my post...
奥さん okusan - generally other people's wife
妻 tsuma - most popular term for wife IMO.
ワイフ waifu - katakana word for Wife. I've literally never heard anyone say this outside of anime/ manga and on the Internet.
お母さん oksaasan - mom* (or any other word for "mom")

*Usually in married couple situations the partner will refer to their other in the role that they fill. So, the husband will call his wife "mom" and the wife "father". This is especially used when talking to their children.

Source: I did study abroad.

There's some other terms, but these are the ones I've at least heard in practice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh yeah, I played some Woolly World.

It's really great. Such a comfy and relaxing game, and the music is lovely.

And the Amiibo Yoshis. Rosalina and Sonic Yoshis are so cute.

Not sure if you ignored my post...
I read it, and my post does not contradict yours.

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
If there's one game where I'll gladly fail the QTEs it's none other than The Wonderful 101

I just got Wonder Pink. One day I'll continue with Xenoblade

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Oh yeah, I played some Woolly World.

It's really great. Such a comfy and relaxing game, and the music is lovely.

And the Amiibo Yoshis. Rosalina and Sonic Yoshis are so cute.

I read it, and my post does not contradict yours.
I've literally never heard anyone say this outside of anime/ manga and on the Internet.
It's like if I went around and said "whence" in English. It's not wrong, but it's not right either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's like if I went around and said "whence" in English. It's not wrong, but it's not right either.
You didn't hear someone say it IRL yourself. And?

When something is slang or colloquial, there's definitely no guarantee you'll here it IRL, it's the kind of thing that's made up on the spot.

It's just like that over here in Ireland, I've gone years without hearing certain Irish slang words or colloquialisms, then one day I hear it and need it explained to me.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You didn't hear someone say it IRL yourself. And?

When something is slang or colloquial, there's definitely no guarantee you'll here it IRL, it's the kind of thing that's made up on the spot.

It's just like that over here in Ireland, I've gone years without hearing certain Irish slang words or colloquialisms, then one day I hear it and need it explained to me.
If it was the proper way to refer to "wife" in Japanese I would have heard it by now. It's not slang or colloquial, it's a term adopted by people who don't really speak Japanese. Event Wikitionary says it's a "fandom slang". It's more comparable to a gang's term to drugs than an actual slang word.

Japan Powered defined it as...
Waifu /wī foo/ (noun). fictional character a person feels affection toward. 2. fictional character considered one’s spouse. 3. Japanese word derived from the English word ‘wife.’
synonyms: husbando, mai waifu

It's not in usage outside of those communities.

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Argh, can someone please tell people on eikta's video that Wolf is NOT coming back.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean.
As far as we know we don't have women literally fighting eachother over bust sizes.
Which is the angle I was spinning.
True, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point by them. I mean if they did it once, they will probably do it again.
Here's a choose your own story for you!

Bratty teenage girl wants a perfect 16th birthday party and says that if it isn't perfect then she'll be dead (Of course she probably doesn't really mean it but ya know), what happens next?
No cares, and her life gets ruined, the end. She then grows up, marries a president, and then runs for president, and gets an MTV show and TLC contract somewhere down the line.
:p
Why'd you chose Kidd over Maka for Soul Eater? Maka is the main character after all, and having Kidd doesn't mean one character from Soul Eater it means 3, seeing as there also his weapons Liz and Patty.

But forget Maka and Kidd the better Soul Eater rep is Tsugmi from the spin-off series Soul Eater Not, after all why have the core series protagonist, when you can have the side series protagonist instead :troll:

Although with that said, Tsugumi actually does have something uniquely her own, that being she has 2 meisters, them being Meme and Anya, so having her in would make for an interesting moveset.
Although she actually gets 3 by the end of the manga, leading to a joke about her being a player

Actually it isn't, and I know that because of a Yuri manga called Wife and Wife, which it's Japanese name is Fu-Fu, you should all go read it, its a heartwarming manga about a lesbian couple living their lifes together.

Interesting, I hope this means Zelda Wii U is coming soon, meaning that everyone saying that Zelda Wii U is an NX launch title will finally stop saying that, and shut up about it.

I call Bull, Shulk isn't truly European, you want a real European champion, then do yourself a favour and pick from these lot, not that fraud Shulk:
:4link: :4pit::4robinf: :4feroy::4palutena: :4zelda::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4greninja: (He's here cause Kalos is France in Pokemon)

Why would they reboot Zelda, when there's absolutely no need? And adding in Linkle is easy, its not that hard, seeing as Zelda does multiple incarnations of a lot of its characters.

Hey, Big was awesome in Heroes, so don't go bringing up his bad past.

Nah, a better Slice of Lie rep would be Haruhi :troll:

Also you all disappoint with your Marvel VS Capcom 4 rosters, how come none of you want to add Wasp? One of the last remaining founding member of The Avengers not to be in it.
That's why I said a reboot sort of. I mean they make two new zelda games, one for the Toon Series, and the other being Zelda U. Both have some type of focus on connecting with a new generation as the article says the video seems to be on. Linkle is just thrown in there because she is a relatively big addition, even if in just a spinoff right now, she will probably become bigger since fan demand got her to exist anyway.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Argh, can someone please tell people on eikta's video that Wolf is NOT coming back.
Fine,I'll do a post about it. Not sure if it'll be posted today as I do have plans. If ChikoLad ChikoLad is still unconvinced I'll ask my friends about it. They aren't heavily into anime/manga and they don't even speak English. So, the most "normal" kind of Japanese people you can get.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If it was the proper way to refer to "wife" in Japanese I would have heard it by now. It's not slang or colloquial, it's a term adopted by people who don't really speak Japanese. Event Wikitionary says it's a "fandom slang". It's more comparable to a gang's term to drugs than an actual slang word.

Japan Powered defined it as...

It's not in usage outside of those communities.
I never said it was a proper way to say it though. Slang isn't a proper way of saying any word.

To give you an Irish equivalent to what waifu is to the Japanese, we often say "Jaysus" in place of "Jesus" when using "Jesus Christ!" as a swear. Much like waifu, it's a slang derived from mispronouncing another/real word due to a heavy accent.

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Fine,I'll do a post about it. Not sure if it'll be posted today as I do have plans. If ChikoLad ChikoLad is still unconvinced I'll ask my friends about it. They aren't heavily into anime/manga and they don't even speak English. So, the most "normal" kind of Japanese people you can get.
I am a bit bum out that he's not in, but at the same time though it's not that shocking since he was the last character to make in brawl and barely made it in.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I am a bit bum out that he's not in, but at the same time though it's not that shocking since he was the last character to make in brawl and barely made it in.
Was that not Sonic?

IIRC Sakurai said Sonic was the only character that wasn't included on the original project plan for Brawl and was sort of last minute compared to other characters.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Starlight_Lily Starlight_Lily
夫婦 fuufu is the term for married couple.

Im guessing that "fu fu" is taking the second character of fuufu and repeating it for a pun. (notice the lack of a long u)

Fu by itself isn't really used. And fuufu is generally used to refer to both husband and wife, I believe.

Edit: but yeah, the general take away is that people who use "waifu" have little to 0 knowledge about Japanese language and customs and really should stop using that word as even though it's technically a Japanese word, the usage is at most wrong.
Yeah, pretty much it was used for the pun, was also using it to explain how I know that waifu isn't the Japanese word for wife

Shoot her through the heart with a loaded pistol.

Save herself the trouble.

Tomoko Kuroki.

Any other answer is wrong.
You dare defy Lady Haruhi?! Burn the none believer!

There's only one way for you guys to settle it: settle it in Smash!

Then again, Shulk is my five time European champion, so I'm not complaining about it
But we can't, Smash only allows up to 8 players! D=

Still doesn't change the fact he is a fraud, and has no ties to any real European cultures.

For the most part i choose him for my bias towards Death.Tbh we didn't really consider Maka.We brought up soul eater and instantly said death or black star.I just choose death because i like him more *shrug* probably gonna rework the list anyway.So i probably will just add Maka
Nah, like I said don't add Maka, add Tsugumi instead, cause everyone loves the Soul Eater Not spin-off manga, especially western Soul Eater fans :troll:

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Was that not Sonic?

IIRC Sakurai said Sonic was the only character that wasn't included on the original project plan for Brawl and was sort of last minute compared to other characters.
Sakurai did say that, but Wolf's coding was later than Sonic.
EDIT: Didn't see the last part

Last edited:

Chrono.

Was that not Sonic?

The files suggest Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf were added after Sonic.

That's the only evidence we have for that though.

EDIT: lol nvm that last part

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Was that not Sonic?

Question: In “Subspace Emissary, why weren’t Wolf or Jigglypuff involved with the story?

Sakurai: Toon Link is also included in this, but these three characters were really on the brink of being cut. The characters that are strongly involved in the main plot had to be characters that were confirmed to be in the game from a fairly early stage. But this time, there were characters that were confirmed midway during development, and characters that weren’t. If we had a bit more time, it might have been 4-5 characters, and if we had less time, it might have been zero.
--Source

Sonic was the last character added to the plan.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
upload_2015-12-28_22-57-13.jpeg

I made my own Wolf as a mii sword fighter because not a lot of people realize that he uses his claws to attack. Swords and claws have slash attacks. I also pick the specials moves that are similar.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Yeah, and *possibly* Roy and Mewtwo as the other 2 that didn't make it in. It's unconfirmed though.
I was thinking the same thing when I first read it since both of them have victory tunes and Mewtwo having a wii remote sound file. I still wonder why there was no data for Wolf's victory tune? I guess he was a clone at first, but was cut like the other fighters and was brought back due to his massive popularity and to avoid the backlash of the clones.

D

Deleted member

Would anyone know why the **** youtube is reseting uploads all the way ****ing back by thousands of minutes everytime the upload finishes? I've been at this **** all ****ing day now, solving this would at least make one thing in my current life decent.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I was thinking the same thing when I first read it since both of them have victory tunes and Mewtwo having a wii remote sound file. I still wonder why there was no data for Wolf's victory tune? I guess he was a clone at first, but was cut like the other fighters and was brought back due to his massive popularity and to avoid the backlash of the clones.
Semi related: Ganondorf was very lucky to get into Melee.

Wolf was very lucky to get into Brawl. His animations don't feel fully complete, and was more of a clone to Fox at the start (though that could just be leftover development data). Wolf was probably the absolute last character finished.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Considering how lazy his final smash was, how he took multiple moves from characters and how priority he was compared to Sonic, Wolf was probably the most luckiest character to even be in the game.

Aside from how different his special moves were, he kinda was just as much as a clone than most characters even compared to Lucas who has the same final smash as Ness but radically different moves from grabs to normals

I wanted him back mostly due to how he was the last veteran that wasn't too cloney, don't have any limitations on the system, have a strong following, from a franchise that could use some extra characters and isn't held back by company issues but I can see how low priority he was.

I always said he was expendable as a character and he probably was considering Sakurai didn't bring him back.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Semi related: Ganondorf was very lucky to get into Melee.

Wolf was very lucky to get into Brawl. His animations don't feel fully complete, and was more of a clone to Fox at the start (though that could just be leftover development data). Wolf was probably the absolute last character finished.
Hmm, I see. In the slot files and in the soundbank files, Dixie comes right after Wolf while Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik comes before Wolf. Does that mean anything at all?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Considering how lazy his final smash was, how he took multiple moves from characters and how priority he was compared to Sonic, Wolf was probably the most luckiest character to even be in the game.

Aside from how different his special moves were, he kinda was just as much as a clone than most characters even compared to Lucas who has the same final smash as Ness but radically different moves from grabs to normals

I wanted him back mostly due to how he was the last veteran that wasn't too cloney, don't have any limitations on the system, have a strong following, from a franchise that could use some extra characters and isn't held back by company issues but I can see how low priority he was.

I always said he was expendable as a character and he probably was considering Sakurai didn't bring him back.
Wolf's normals are radically different to Fox and Falco's.

It's the specials that are similar (but still well differentiated).

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Not to be that guy.But i've said since Lucas was revealed that Wolf wasn't coming back.And people said i was crazy. So i'm kinda laughing at the final outcome

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know what.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna make a Captain Syrup moveset.

Just because she's one of the more interesting characters, personally, to bring things to the table and just kinda doesn't get brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom