• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Well, this turned into a fine mess, didn't it?...
That's why they call them unpopular opinions though. :smash:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel at this point I should clarify something: I'm never against people wanting an addition character from any series. I just don't like when a character is automatically deemed more worthy when it comes from a series with only one character, and no other reasons. It mainly just stems from my hatred of the "reps" argument. :p

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I would have let this go, except he claimed I was interrogating him over his choice, which was not the case AT ALL
No offense Naoshi, like literally I'm not mad or upset or anything, but I could honestly feel where he was coming from.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I feel at this point I should clarify something: I'm never against people wanting an addition character from any series. I just don't like when a character is automatically deemed more worthy when it comes from a series with only one character, and no other reasons. It mainly just stems from my hatred of the "reps" argument. :p
I think that's what almost everyone is getting at. I don't think anyone, except very few, questioned Luigi's taste in characters.

No offense Naoshi, like literally I'm not mad or upset or anything, but I could honestly feel where he was coming from.
I don't. I told him Poochy isn't a major character, that was not me telling him he's wrong for wanting Poochy.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt is a well-known dog though.
When he was revealed for Smash Bros. people remembered him and said
Still a dog though. WFT point still stands. But if you were joking, sorry!

Well, this turned into a fine mess, didn't it?...
That's why they call them unpopular opinions though. :smash:
It's odd because mine is one of the least brash opinions we've had so far

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Herd u guys talkin **** about my boy poochy.

Seriously though, literally the most adorable thing in existence. Fact not opinion. :troll:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that's what almost everyone is getting at. I don't think anyone, except very few, questioned Luigi's taste in characters.

I don't. I told him Poochy isn't a major character, that was not me telling him he's wrong for wanting Poochy.
No I just think he felt upset at all, I'm sure that wasn't your intention or anything, but that's how I saw it. I'm positive you didn't intend anything, he just got upset is all. Anyways I think we've discussed this enough, I think it's wise we just move on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree, the word "rep" gets under my skin because I think characters should get in based on their own merits.
It's like, oh, we have two Capcom "reps" now, clearly we need to have another Namco and Sega "rep" to match it.

...No, we don't...I mean, I'd LOVE Lloyd Irving or Nightmare, but it would feel cheap if the only reason they were added was because Mega Man was lonely in Team Battles.

Naoshi

Isn't Duck Hunt Dog at the end of the day, just a dog?
Isn't WFT at the end of the day, just a yoga trainer?
Not saying your want is wrong but that's not a very good comparison. Duck Hunt is a mixture of a Dog, Duck and a shooter. They replicate what they represent, which is the Nintendo Zapper. Wii Fit Trainer being a Yoga teacher automatically gives her a movesets as a Yoga fighter. A (going by awesomedude's words) "moving platform" is nothing like those two.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Literally no one is saying he can't support Poochy.
There's multiple people trying to refute my opinion and generally saying Poochy being in Smash is a terrible idea. I mean, yes, no one's said specifically I can't support Poochy, but people are still reacting very negatively to him and arguing with me about it.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Isn't Duck Hunt Dog at the end of the day, just a dog?
Isn't WFT at the end of the day, just a yoga trainer?
will seeing as.DHD isn't the only character and its the combination between the dog,the duck and the shooter working together.No he's not just a dog.Its more so a team.But what do i know right

Naoshi

There's multiple people trying to refute my opinion and generally saying Poochy being in Smash is a terrible idea. I mean, yes, no one's said specifically I can't support Poochy, but people are still reacting very negatively to him and arguing with me about it.
No we weren't. We were just saying he's not a major character (at least in my case). That was it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not saying your want is wrong but that's not a very good comparison. Duck Hunt is a mixture of a Dog, Duck and a shooter. They replicate what they represent, which is the Nintendo Zapper. Wii Fit Trainer being a Yoga teacher automatically gives her a movesets as a Yoga fighter. A "moving platform" is nothing like those two.
Okay, but before Smash Duck Hunt Dog was literally just a dog and Duck Hunt Bird was just a bird.

How about..

Captain Falcon was originally literally just a dude driving a car
Villager is just a dude who lives in a town. I guess this could give him a tool-based moveset though.

Naoshi

Okay, but before Smash Duck Hunt Dog was literally just a dog and Duck Hunt Bird was just a bird.

How about..

Captain Falcon was originally literally just a dude driving a car
Villager is just a dude who lives in a town. I guess this could give him a tool-based moveset though.
Ughhh, forget it. You're missing the point.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So new topic, what is the worst voice acting you've heard in a video game?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No we weren't. We were just saying he's not a major character (at least in my case). That was it.
No, that's just you who was doing it. Others were reacting much differently.

will seeing as.DHD isn't the only character and its the combination between the dog,the duck and the shooter working together.No he's not just a dog.Its more so a team.But what do i know right
Captain Falcon, Villager, Rosalina, even Yoshi himself..

D

Deleted member

When you MAKE CLAIMS OF FACT such as "Poochy is a major character" people WILL REFUTE THEM.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Only because of what's being perceived as you overblowing the importance of a character that is basically just a platform Yoshi can ride on that has a small personality.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm just going to say this right here and right now. You could really look at both sides of the same spectrum. You and Luigi The President Luigi The President are really fighting over nothing. Just mere opinions. This argument will really lead nowhere. So you guys better think twice about what your arguing about and just remember it's just an opinion.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Speaking of DHD I still can't beat All Star on hard with him and there's now 4 more characters in that mode.

I like him but I suck as him.

Naoshi

I'm just going to say this right here and right now. You could really look at both sides of the same spectrum. You and Luigi The President Luigi The President are really fighting over nothing. Just mere opinions. This argument will really lead nowhere. So you guys better think twice about what your arguing about and just remember it's just an opinion.
What are you even talking about? I pretty much dropped the major vs minor argument a page ago. Up until now, he claimed I was interrogating him for wanting Poochy and that actually set me off.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ughhh, forget it. You're missing the point.
Then what is the point?

Here's my point: The Smash dev team can make a moveset for tons of characters you wouldn't think could ever get a moveset. Could they not do the same with Poochy?

When you MAKE CLAIMS OF FACT such as "Poochy is a major character" people WILL REFUTE THEM.
I then went on to state I think Poochy's a major character in my opinion. Did you not see me say that? If I ever said it as a fact, then I apologise; I meant it as an opinion.

Speaking of opinion's, what has this entire, dragged-out, unnecessary, and angry argument been about? AN OPINION.

Only because of what's being perceived as you overblowing the importance of a character that is basically just a platform Yoshi can ride on that has a small personality.
What? How does this excuse 2 pages of people dragging down my own personal opinion?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah it's like arguing whether the glass should be full or not. Honestly I say change the topic, I've already brought up something so let's discuss that shall we?

D

Deleted member

Love Poochie, and he is a main character, but he isn't that major of a main character. The thing with Duck Hunt Dog is he is the main character of his game, or at least the only character outside of you (which you don't see) in the game.

Let's take a look at Super Mario World. In Super Mario World, Yoshi plays a similar role as Poochie did, he helps you overcome certain obstacles or just helps. A pet if you will. If Yoshi never had his own games where he was a main character and he was just a mount, there would be not much to work with, really for Smash Bros. and he wouldn't have had a character.

Because Yoshi got his own games he became more fleshed out and a main character. You have to be a main character to get into Super Smash Bros., and Poochie isn't that. He's assist trophy level.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
What are you even talking about? I pretty much dropped the major vs minor argument a page ago. Up until now, he claimed I was interrogating him for wanting Poochy.
I'm just saying it would be better to drop the argument entirely. Your not going to go anywhere with it :p.

I am not well versed with yoshi (first game only) but uhhh. . . What could poochy do exactly and what is his role that makes him major?

Im curious

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What are you even talking about? I pretty much dropped the major vs minor argument a page ago. Up until now, he claimed I was interrogating him for wanting Poochy.
You should know that I'd like to apologise; I was and am rather stressed about this whole thing. I understand you weren't intending to interrogate me.

Love Poochie, and he is a main character, but he isn't that major of a main character. The thing with Duck Hunt Dog is he is the main character of his game, or at least the only character outside of you (which you don't see) in the game.

Let's take a look at Super Mario World. In Super Mario World, Yoshi plays a similar role as Poochie did, he helps you overcome certain obstacles or just helps. A pet if you will. If Yoshi never had his own games where he was a main character and he was just a mount, there would be not much to work with, really for Smash Bros. and he wouldn't have had a character.

Because Yoshi got his own games he became more fleshed out and a main character. You have to be a main character to get into Super Smash Bros., and Poochie isn't that. He's assist trophy level.
I'm sorry, but are you trying to say that he's a main character but not major enough? You just told me he's a main character but suddenly he's not?

I am not well versed with yoshi (first game only) but uhhh. . . What could ppochy do exactly and what is his role that makes him major?
He could utilize the various mechanics of Yoshi, including eggs, fruit, and his own techniques. I have a moveset for him.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Let's move on.
Speaking of Lloyd Irving, I now have a god-tier mancrush holy **** Lloyd is so cool.
I'm 2/3 into Tales of Symphonia and I love him.
His Mii costume is great because one of Mii Swordfighter's side specials is literally Tempest.

Obviously, though, he just needs to actually be in Smash due to the aforementioned coolness.
His moveset also writes itself.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Another that most people have heard from me
There is far too much focus on reps in the fanbase. Options are made and lost from what series a character comes from, not their merits. Characters are invented to rep the unrepped even though they would never be mentioned if they were from another series. Viceversa for characters from "overrepped" series

Also mario and pokemon can probably never be overrepped.
The most evident of this is Black Shadow from F-Zero. Not only do a lot want him playable just so he can have Ganon's moveset (Which I personally feel couldn't work due to the moveset being built around Ganon), it's also something Sakurai wouldn't do.

With the clone additions in Smash so far, they've all been based around certain conditions. Melee was to include more characters for the roster and Smash 4 was because alternate costumes were promoted to actual fighters. Brawl even tried de-cloning the characters from Melee to an extent, and the characters that were based off of existing fighters (Lucas and Wolf) have enough differences to make them feel unique. Including a character JUST because they can steal someone else s moveset is something Sakurai wouldn't do. Because there's a possibility that Black Shadow could have some unique attributes to him.

There also comes into play of just how many people actually like Black Shadow as a character.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Welcome to the club. I support Geno and Chrom :awesome:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Then what is the point?

Here's my point: The Smash dev team can make a moveset for tons of characters you wouldn't think could ever get a moveset. Could they not do the same with Poochy?

I then went on to state I think Poochy's a major character in my opinion. Did you not see me say that? If I ever said it as a fact, then I apologise; I meant it as an opinion.

Speaking of opinion's, what has this entire, dragged-out, unnecessary, and angry argument been about? AN OPINION.

What? How does this excuse 2 pages of people dragging down my own personal opinion?
If I may, yes anyone could get a a moveset, but the point is that poochy wouldn't be first in line to get into smash if yoshi got a second rep. If yoshi were to get a second rep, it would go to kamek, or shy guy, or even baby bowser. Not that you can't want poochy or support him, the poinnt was he would just be unlikely. But we should just drop this completely.

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon, Villager, Rosalina, even Yoshi himself..
All of which have aspects in their source material to work with (or base them off of in Captain Falcon's case).
Poochy doesn't have this luxury.

You were better off with the Duck Hunt Dog comparison, but even then, the idea to borrow aspects from not only his source game, but the entire Zapper line was still there.
Very little to base Poochy off of that isn't just shoehorning random crap just to make him fit.

Instead of just thinking in terms of "he exists" and "so-and-so were like this but like that in Smash so why not him?", think in terms of "this is how he can work", "this would be his style", "this is what sets him apart", etc.
Actually put in the effort to sell people on the idea, don't just hide behind other characters and "just because" reasoning.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, I forgive you. That's all I needed to hear.
You know, I'm also sorry if I came off as brash, all I was trying to do was help him, sorry if I did anything wrong.
All of which have aspects in their source material to work with (or base them off of in Captain Falcon's case).
Poochy doesn't have this luxury.

You were better off with the Duck Hunt Dog comparison, but even then, the idea to borrow aspects from not only his source game, but the entire Zapper line was still there.
Very little to base Poochy off of that isn't just shoehorning random crap just to make him fit.

Instead of just thinking in terms of "he exists" and "so-and-so were like this but like that in Smash so why not him?", think in terms of "this is how he can work", "this would be his style", "this is what sets him apart", etc.
Actually put in the effort to sell people on the idea, don't just hide behind other characters and "just because" reasoning.
Golden can we just move on?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If I may, yes anyone could get a a moveset, but the point is that poochy wouldn't be first in line to get into smash if yoshi got a second rep. If yoshi were to get a second rep, it would go to kamek, or shy guy, or even baby bowser. Not that you can't want poochy or support him, the poinnt was he would just be unlikely. But we should just drop this completely.
Shy Guy: Mario baddie
Baby Bowser: Bowser Jr
Kamek: Would come before Poochy but could be Mario rep

Also, oh, really, I can want Poochy but he's not likely? Wow! I didn't know that, not like I haven't been told this constant times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom