• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I use Smashboards Dark and it shows up just fine
Sorry if I spoiled it to you but that's not my fault
It's little white text on an orange box. Not exactly eye catching and easy to read right off the bat.

How about instead of acting passive aggressive about it, just improve your way about giving spoiler warnings next time then?

(I was already kind of spoiled to begin with, I was only giving you a better heads up about spoilertagging.)

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I just got back from the Peanuts Movie. (It was so gooooooood!!!!)
My girlfriend and I saw it Friday night. It was really solid. Very simple, buts thats all it needed. I love that the kept the soundtrack fitting with jazz, and had only two low key modern songs.

The animations were so great!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My girlfriend and I saw it Friday night. It was really solid. Very simple, buts thats all it needed. I love that the kept the soundtrack fitting with jazz, and had only two low key modern songs.

The animations were so great!
I love how everything was so close to the original, such as the character movement, plot, setting, and the music. It's so great that you never saw an adult once! :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

It's little white text on an orange box. Not exactly eye catching and easy to read right off the bat.

How about instead of acting passive aggressive about it, just improve your way about giving spoiler warnings next time then?

(I was already kind of spoiled to begin with, I was only giving you a better heads up about spoilertagging.)
It's white on an orange box, how is that not eye catching?

The [spoiler = this is a spoiler] is used for this exact reason
To let people know of what the spoiler is
I had never found a situation where someone couldn't read the text in the box so there has been no reason to use a different way of tagging spoilers
I'll try to use other methods if that makes you happy

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, I think the focus on Japanese culture could be beneficial to Yo-Kai Watch as it could get people not from Japan interested because it references Japanese mythology.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Here's an unpopular opinion...

Sonic Boom was a great idea.

Think about it; the Sonic Cycle is so tired it's become its own meme. It's reached a point where it's hopeless to expect a back-to-its-roots Sonic game, and even if they did, I struggle to believe it would hold up in this day and age. Like it or not, the Sonic franchise has a ton of characters to its IP that it shouldn't simply walk away from.

What they tried to do made sense - rather than try and squeeze a franchise that's outgrown its britches back into its old pants, they tried to take a sharp turn left and create a whole new beast (one that wasn't characterized by making Sonic a literal beast in the form of a Werehog...) It was a bold move, and one that made a lot of sense given the challenges the franchise brings with it.

It's unfortunate that the games failed so spectacularly. Yes, I understand they caught flak for throwing Ninja Turtle bandages on the character redesigns, but if you've seen the show, it's evident they had some pretty good ideas how it should have gone, and it could have worked. I honestly think Boom could have stood on its own two feet were it not for the shoddy quality of its games.

Seriously, ask yourself... if one or both Boom games were fun, would you not have been interested in exploring the new world they'd tried to present? I had a lot of hope for Boom, and it's sad to me that Sonic just can't seem to catch a break.

Naoshi

Think about it; the Sonic Cycle is so tired it's become its own meme. It's reached a point where it's hopeless to expect a back-to-its-roots Sonic game, and even if they did, I struggle to believe it would hold up in this day and age. Like it or not, the Sonic franchise has a ton of characters to its IP that it shouldn't simply walk away from.

What they tried to do made sense - rather than try and squeeze a franchise that's outgrown its britches back into its old pants, they tried to take a sharp turn left and create a whole new beast (one that wasn't characterized by making Sonic a literal beast in the form of a Werehog...) It was a bold move, and one that made a lot of sense given the challenges the franchise brings with it.

It's unfortunate that the games failed so spectacularly. Yes, I understand they caught flak for throwing Ninja Turtle bandages on the character redesigns, but if you've seen the show, it's evident they had some pretty good ideas how it should have gone, and it could have worked. I honestly think Boom could have stood on its own two feet were it not for the shoddy quality of its games.

Seriously, ask yourself... if one or both Boom games were fun, would you not have been interested in exploring the new world they'd tried to present? I had a lot of hope for Boom, and it's sad to me that Sonic just can't seem to catch a break.
Hmm I disagree on this actually. I felt Sonic Generations has proven Sonic's formula can hold up very well. Sonic Colors (and argubly Unleashed) broke the Sonic Cycle. The cycle was way too specific that it really only applied to games like Sonic 06 and some before it. I don't think a reboot ala Sonic Boom was what the franchise could've needed. They found something that worked and then immediately ditched it. I felt they could've just continued the formula and kept building upon it, it had so much potential.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Oh wow I just noticed that during gameplay the characters in 3D World don't emote at all (nor even blink).

It's not too noticeable in regular gameplay but grab a Mega Mushroom and...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh wow I just noticed that during gameplay the characters in 3D World don't emote at all (nor even blink).

It's not too noticeable in regular gameplay but grab a Mega Mushroom and...
Weird, I could swear they would at least blink
Then again, it's been so long since I last played it
I stopped playing because I was never going to beat Champion's Road anyways haha :'^)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i think itd been better if you give a better heads up that this was undertales spoilers, i have a hard time reading the spoiler tag box text because of a skin im using. (Smashboards Dark) so i didnt exactly know what i was clicking on
That's on you, dude. "Dundertale". Remove the D. Plain as day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I noticed some talk of review scores earlier.

I mean, normally, if one reviewer gives a low score I just move on as it's only one guy's opinion. Generally I put more stock into the average score across different outlets.

That is...until Gamespot gave Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. a four out of ten.

And the reviewer was so incredibly bad...not only did he leave out core aspects of the game from his review (no mention of the multiplayer mode, things to collect, or anything like that), but nitpicked certain things to hell. Not only that, he had the audacity to state something along the lines of "the enemies won't stay still when I try to aim at them." Like seriously...what the ****.

Oh, and the whole "the stereotypes are so jarring and bad" thing, when they're clearly not only based on their source material, but are often less racist or stereotypical than their original depiction. Like seriously, is it somehow bad that Queequeg speaks broken English when he's not a native English speaker? Or that having a Native American character use the power of nature in her special attack is somehow deplorable when a **** ton of Native American culture is based in nature? I think he'd have an actual heart attack if they were even closer to their source material, with everyone claiming Queequeg is a savage cannibal due to his heritage and Tom Sawyer dropping the N-Word every five minutes...or pulling a "What Makes the Red Man Red" with Tiger Lily...

Oh, and THEN he was like, "and before you say it's sticking to the source material, you're wrong. One character is a gender-swapped Zorro." No ****ing ****, Sherlock. Zorro's not public domain, and that still doesn't change the fact that the rest of the characters stick to their source material. Beyond that, the guy then just complains how it didn't fit what he expected it to be. Buddy, that's on you that it's not like [insert one of five other games he compared it to unfairly], you shouldn't have expected it to. Sorry if you apparently wanted a gripping tale of political strife and racial discussion in a ****ing Nintendo strategy game, I don't know what to tell ya.

The only legitimate complaint he had was the enemy turn time, the same complaint all the other reviewers had. And even then, they all gave it between a 7 and 8 out of ten. And then the enemy turn time got decreased via patch anyway. The Gamespot review was absolutely botched, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the reason the game is so unfairly forgotten and dismissed. Legitimately the only time a review made me outright angry. Not because of a difference of opinions, but from sheer ineptitude and bias that should not be in professional critiques.

tl;dr: Honestly Sherlock Holmes should have been in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. in retrospect. Yes, that's what everyone should get out of what I wrote.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
My unpopular opinion is that I hate all your opinions. :troll:
T'was a joke. :smash:

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Unpopular opinion? Sure.

I feel like people tend to jump the gun when it comes to "GOTY" games. It's always the next shiny thing that will be the messiah of gaming; the one we've been searching for all this time. Then once the next big thing comes out we all abandon the former and worship the latter.

Naoshi

That's on you, dude. "Dundertale". Remove the D. Plain as day.
My mind didn't automatically registered that. I just clicked expecting unpopular opinions. The box didn't say it was story related. And since a lot of people were putting opinions in their spoiler box...

Just kind of saying it was possible to overlook the "Dundertale" thing and not realize what it meant right away.

To explain it a bit in more detail: It wasn't clear enough out of several factors that occured at once. Even if I knew it was about Undertale, he did not give an actual warning that it was Undertale story spoilers, "Dundertale" is kind of vague. Especially when everyone else were putting their unpopular non-spoilery opinions in spoiler boxes.

You have to keep in mind that some people open up spoiler tags out of habit since everyone in this thread makes spoiler boxes on very non-spoilery stuff.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Should you ask out multiple people if your not really with any of them?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The problem with Sonic is that Sonic team keeps switching up the formula every other game, which means that they never fully polish one. The 3D stages in Generations were close to perfect imo, I hope they just go back to that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

According to Sonic Stadium it was initially intended as a full-on reboot.

D

Deleted member

Should you ask out multiple people if your not really with any of them?
Asking out multiple people at once sounds like a recipe for disaster x100000.

"not really with any of them" also sounds like there is some confusion going on and that's another recipe for disaster.

Tie up loose ends, and go for one person.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ah, unpopular opinions...Here I go, folks.

• I don't want any indie to appear in Smash, except Quote.
  • This includes Shovel Knight, and as I've said numerous times, I love his game and character, but I think he in absolutely no way should be in Smash, except as a Mii costume.
  • Pichu should return. I would've liked him over Mewtwo, who is cool, but I prefer Pichu.
  • Mii's are an awesome addition and should always be legal in competitive Smash.
  • Dunkey is the best youtuber (though this is a fairly popular view)
  • I like Wolf, but I think Snake should return before him; Snake was the 1st 3rd-party character ever and a well-received addition. Logically Wolf should return, but personally I'd like Snake more.
  • Fire Emblem doesn't need the amount of reps it has.
  • Mario could have 15 reps and I wouldn't care. Mario can have any amount of reps it wants, it deserves it in my opinion.
  • Jack Frost is honestly up there with Layton on the next 3rd party possibilities, imo
  • We don't need a Zelda rep, and if we do get one, Tingle isn't that bad of a choice
  • Yoshi needs more reps, I'd love to see Poochy & Ukiki as a tag-team
I have more, and these are just the Smash-only ones (excluding the Dunkey part), I'll post my general Nintendo opinions and more Smash opinions later.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Unpopular opinions?

I think some third parties have done just as much with Nintendo (if not, moreso) as certain actual Nintendo franchises, and I don't see any issues in giving them at least some sort of acknowledgement in the Super Smash Bros series. I feel certain third party series should at the very least get a trophy or Mii Fighter costumes just like the likes of Rayman, Commander Video and Heihachi did.

Naoshi

The problem with Sonic is that Sonic team keeps switching up the formula every other game, which means that they never fully polish one. The 3D stages in Generations were close to perfect imo, I hope they just go back to that.
Sometimes it feels like the decisions are made on dart boards.

Unpopular opinions?

I think some third parties have done just as much with Nintendo (if not, moreso) as certain actual Nintendo franchises, and I don't see any issues in giving them at least some sort of acknowledgement in the Super Smash Bros series. I feel certain third party series should at the very least get a trophy or Mii Fighter costumes just like the likes of Rayman, Commander Video and Heihachi did.
I'm pretty cool with a lot of third party representation done via extra means such as trophies, mii costumes, etc. Characters is a bit of a different ground to me. I do think some that haven't made it in yet deserve a spot such as Layton, Bomberman, etc.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My unpopular opinions?

Well for one, I actually liked Full House, for another I really don't think Inklings should be DLC characters and think they should be in Smash 5, and I didn't like Total Drama, I thought it was stupid. Also I actually like SAO but I can't deny its flaws.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My unpopular opinions?

Well for one, I actually liked Full House, for another I really don't think Inklings should be DLC characters and think they should be in Smash 5, and I didn't like Total Drama, I thought it was stupid. Also I actually like SAO but I can't deny its flaws.
I like Full House, too. Family Matters is my fav, though. ALTHOUGH BACK TO FULL HOUSE!

EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK!
THERE'S A HEART!
A HAND TO HOLD TO!

Another that most people have heard from me
There is far too much focus on reps in the fanbase. Options are made and lost from what series a character comes from, not their merits. Characters are invented to rep the unrepped even though they would never be mentioned if they were from another series. Viceversa for characters from "overrepped" series

Also mario and pokemon can probably never be overrepped.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi will "deserve" another character when the subseries gets a major character that doesn't directly tie to the main Mario branch in some way.
And then when the series branches further away from the Mario tree like Wario did.

Seriously. Yoshi is just a "non-Mario" character in symbol only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoshi

I can't really think of anyone that can work as a 2nd Yoshi rep. Poochy is not really significant and only appears in few stages. He's pretty much just a glorified moving platform if you think about it. Maybe Kamek? Even though he's more of a Mario character...

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yoshi will "deserve" another character when the subseries gets a major character that doesn't directly tie to the main Mario branch in some way.

Seriously. Yoshi is just a "non-Mario" character in symbol-only.
I think Kamek is a fair enough choice, he's both a prominent "Yoshi" /and/ Mario character.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I like Full House, too. Family Matters is my fav, though. ALTHOUGH BACK TO FULL HOUSE!

EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK!
THERE'S A HEART!
A HAND TO HOLD TO!

I also love Fresh Prince, that show was muh jam!
And then when the series branches further away from the Mario tree like Wario did.

Poochy has never appeared in a Mario game to date... Also welcome to the premium boat! We've got streamers! Everyone loves streamers!!! :awesome:

Naoshi

Poochy has never appeared in a Mario game to date... Also welcome to the premium boat! We've got streamers! Everyone loves streamers!!! :awesome:
Poochy is not a major character though is what he is getting at. Yoshi (and Kamek) are the only major characters of the series, along with Baby Mario and to an extent the stork.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If this is really seen as an unpopular opinion, I can add that to my own list then. I'd love to see Kamek or Poochy as a 2nd Yoshi rep.
I meant Poochy & Ukiki as the unpopular opinion, should've specified.

I can't really think of anyone that can work as a 2nd Yoshi rep. Poochy is not really significant and only appears in few stages. He's pretty much just a glorified moving platform if you think about it. Maybe Kamek? Even though he's more of a Mario character...
Poochy is the most recurring Yoshi character behind Baby Bowser (Bowser Jr), Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (could also be Mario reps), and Kamek (also could be Mario rep)

He has appeared in all the mainline Yoshi games but one. He also always has a level dedicated to him, I believe. And he's a lot more relevant now; Nintendo has put him on the cover and disk for Woolly World.

Notice how I said Ukiki. Ukiki is the little monkey guy commonly seen in Yoshi. I think it'd be cool to see them work as a duo, like Duck Hunt.

Can you think of anyone more major then Poochy besides the 3 I said?

And note I never said Poochy & Ukiki would be better then Kamek. Kamek would be a better choice, but why not include both of them?

Yoshi is a non-Mario character because he is not a Mario character in Smash. This overrules all.

Also, ahem, Poochy. Poochy is major, compared to other characters at least.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Poochy is not a major character though is what he is getting at. Yoshi (and Kamek) are the only major characters of the series, along with Baby Mario and to an extent the stork.
Poochy is a major recurring character actually, appearing in almost every Yoshi game, while Kamek and the Stork don't (Also what kind of sick twisted person would want Baby Mario?) Poochy could work, he'd kinda play like Ivysaur I think.

Last edited:

Naoshi

I've played the Yoshi games. He's not a major character. He is an obstacle for the player in a few select levels. That's like saying Hammer Bros are a "major" character. Just because he appears in every game doesn't make him a major character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again. Major character.

Poochy is far from a major character.
I think Kamek is a fair enough choice, he's both a prominent "Yoshi" /and/ Mario character.
Kamek would be considered a Mario character foremost if Smash Wii U is anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom