• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
No Zelda games (not counting the CDI games) are even close to bad, huge chunks of the fanbase just like to pretend that their least favorite is literally the worst thing in existence.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
This isn't really an unpopular opinion, but an unpopular request instead. This request will most likely never happen, but only in my wildest dreams lol.
I really want a physical release of Project M :p. It would be nice to add it to my collection and play it down the road if anything happens to he actual game. Like I said, it will never happen at all. This is just me wishfully thinking XD.
@Warchamp7
:troll:
Even though it never will...*cries in corner*

Last edited:
This isn't really an unpopular opinion, but an unpopular request which will never happen even though I'll throw it out there just because :p.
Even though this will never happen and makes me look like a crazy man, I really want a physical release of Project M :p. It would be nice to add it to my collection and play it down the road if anything happens to he actual game. Like I said, I'm a crazy man, but it would be ****ing awesome if it ever happened lol. Although, it will never happen XD.
@Warchamp7
Even though it never will...*cries in corner*
So what you're saying is you want PM to get a C&D order? That's harsh man. :troll:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So what you're saying is you want PM to get a C&D order? That's harsh man. :troll:
Well if you've got the right company, you could always C&D their C&D and cause even more legal trouble. :troll:
Even though that's not how it works.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Mine? I alluded to it earlier, but I really can't get into the 2-D Metroid games (even Super Metroid), because I don't care to stumble around for hours missing obvious-in-hindsight, but still non-explicit clues as to how to proceed.

I guess it's just me growing old and cranky, but I guess I have increasingly little tolerance for games that don't have a painfully obvious objective. Conversely, I don't mind difficult games with trollish level design (Lost Levels), so long as the end goal is clear, and any subsequent failures to the same traps are avoidable and unambiguously my fault.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Um... do you guys what to share your unpopular opinions again? Those were kind of fun to read lol. I guess I'll go first.
I think Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than Super Mario World. Not to say Mario World is not a masterpiece, it's just that I have more nostalgia with Mario 3 than with Mario World is all.
Fine, as long as people don't be contrarians for the sake of it like last time

And did you just talk **** about SMW?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I almost forgot, I wouldn't mind a physical release of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. That game was ****ing amazing.
Again, wishful thinking. :denzel:

And did you just talk **** about SMW?

Um... what's a Super Mario World?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
Not everyone is going to relate to your opinion, as many people who has seen the ads for YW will be reeled by the songs, games, anime, and merchandise. Not everyone is going to analyze the gameplay easily and judge it from there, especially with a casual audience. Lots of older people have danced to the Yokai Dance, almost all of Asian countries, the entirety of Japan and a few other outside countries know the dance as well. Older adults have been participating in medal collecting, even selling rare toy medals at high prices. It's clear older people can love this franchise as well.

I can understand your opinion, but it's not for just for kids. There's lots of relatable humor and situations designed with the games and anime that makes YW appealing to older casual audiences as well. Level-5 is very much like Nintendo in a way.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Will if were doing unpopular opinions
  • I think the DKC series has age horribly.I think Retro is handling the series way better than rare ever did
  • Vaati is a much better villian than skull kid and should be used way more than him.
  • Pokemon D/P/P is simply my least favorite of the main pokemon games.and seeing as it comes from the generation with arguabely the best pokemon games ever HG/SS it makes no sense for that to be such bland borefest.
  • If given the option i would totally add more Capcom characters to smash before any other 3rd party.They have so many iconic characters that would fit in chun li, zero, phoneix wright, arthur, viewtiful joe, strider,etc i could go on and on.
  • Sora would fit into smash.
  • The only 4 excellent sonic games are sonic 2,Sonic 3&K,Colors and Generatons.All the others are good(SA1),Ok(SA2, Heroes),or bad(06,lost world). Sonic 1 is in some gray area of all 4

Another.

Half Life 3 is almost destined to fail (not financially of course). Its been such a meme for such a long time as the Rapture in game form. And with each passing moment the hype (should have brought this up yesterday. . .) gets greater and greater. When Half life 3 DOES come out the only way it will live up to the hype is if Valve creates a masterpiece of a caliber never before seen in this world. And I doubt that will happen greatly.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Um... do you guys what to share your unpopular opinions again? Those were kind of fun to read lol. I guess I'll go first.
I think Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than Super Mario World. Not to say Mario World is not a masterpiece, it's just that I have more nostalgia with Mario 3 than with Mario World is all.
Regardless, Super Mario Bros. 3 AND Super Mario World are phenomenal games.
I like both of them about the same.
No Zelda games (not counting the CDI games) are even close to bad, huge chunks of the fanbase just like to pretend that their least favorite is literally the worst thing in existence.
This.
Though maybe that's just me being a fan of the Zelda that gets the most unwarranted flak (Twilight Princess).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
Not everyone is going to relate to your opinion, as many people who has seen the ads for YW will be reeled by the songs, games, anime, and merchandise. Not everyone is going to analyze the gameplay easily and judge it from there, especially with a casual audience. Lots of older people have danced to the Yokai Dance, almost all of Asian countries, the entirety of Japan and a few other outside countries know the dance as well. Older adults have been participating in medal collecting, even selling rare toy medals at high prices. It's clear older people can love this franchise as well.

I can understand your opinion, but it's not for just for kids. There's lots of relatable humor and situations designed with the games and anime that makes YW appealing to older casual audiences as well. Level-5 is very much like Nintendo in a way.
While I can definitely agree with all of this, it's a very Japanese series, and I don't think that translates well to America. American children are not going to understand a lot of the references and jokes that make the series so popular in Japan. You may have some people saying that it can pickup steam in America, but I don't think that will be the case, and it'll only be a cult classic in America compared to the massive hit it was in Japan.

D

Deleted member

As an unpopular opinion
**** Asriel
Why can't Flowey just be some random asshole that uses you to get all powerful? Why is there a need to connect him to Asgore and the overall plot? I just want some random villain that ****s things up not for some "reason"(in this case, that he can't feel positive emotions) and just because they are assholes
Same problem I have with Metal Face
He was going so strong as a villain until Valak Mountain happens

It feels the same if the Majora's Mask was revealed to be Navi the whole time that had been corrupted or some ****

Chrono.

I find Sonic Colors to be the weakest out of the 3 Boost games. Mainly due to the increased focus on 2D platforming, but I find Sonic Team's 2D design to be... boring (a problem I also found in Generations but that game had better design overall), the fact that it was also shorter and had a more "arcade-y" feel to it didn't really appeal to me and then there's the wisps...

On the same end, I think Sonic Team does 3D Sonic way better than 2D Sonic, which is why I'm really hoping they don't go full 2D in the anniversary game.

I think that, while Nintendo does some really dumb things, they really get a lot of flak for the most irrelevant ****.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
This.
Though maybe that's just me being a fan of the Zelda that gets the most unwarranted flak (Twilight Princess).
I've seen it all. First it was the people who said that Majora's Mask was a terrible game because it's different from OOT, then there were the people who said that Windwaker was literally the worst thing. Now it's OOT being HIGHLY overrated and Twilight Princess being complete garbage. Why can't I like every game goddammit

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, I guess here's a Smash unpopular opinion from me.
I feel like we should at least one indie rep in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
While I can definitely agree with all of this, it's a very Japanese series, and I don't think that translates well to America. American children are not going to understand a lot of the references and jokes that make the series so popular in Japan. You may have some people saying that it can pickup steam in America, but I don't think that will be the case, and it'll only be a cult classic in America compared to the massive hit it was in Japan.
The thing is, the localization team is already doing their job to make the jokes/places more relatable to a Western audience while keeping what made YW great. They aren't stupid to translate and let it be. Level-5 Abby and the English writers already made the town of Sakura into the average American town of Springdale. Don't believe me, it was stated in this interview as well:
http://snapthirty.com/2015/10/13/interview-on-yo-kai-watch-with-david-h-steinberg/
What we do is more than translating but less than pure writing since we’re adhering to the original story. We take the translation of the Japanese and then conform it to the Western speaking styles, trying our best to make it sync with the original animation. We also change certain cultural elements that might not be easily understood by a Western audience.
The ones who translates the YW games takes notes of these as well.

Last edited:

Soul.

Half-Life 3 memes are almost the same as "Hoenn Confirmed" before ORAS were announced.
As soon as the games were announced that meme went to become nonexistent. "Sinnoh Confirmed" won't be that different.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
  • I believe people give sports games too much flak for a lot of things. Especially when they call it a casual series when it probably takes more skill than most other games
  • MMORPGs is the worst genre I've ever played
  • Mario is the most scrutinized video game franchise in the history of ever
  • I like Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider remake, Star Fox Assault, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Super Paper Mario, Musou games and Sonic Generations 3DS

Also the biggest one
I prefer :4robinm:over :4robinf:. Not because of gender but I just like David Vincent's voice and the design

Strofirko

Smash Master
Valve already made most of their communities broke apart,I fell intoxicate everytime one of their communities mentions another,is such hatred for attention begging, that other "franchise collec-ton communities" like Blizzard,Rockstar or even Nintendo feels tame near them.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
  • I like Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider remake, Star Fox Assault, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Super Paper Mario, Musou games and Sonic Generations 3DS
What do other people dislike about Amazing Mirror? I'm legitimately curious, as I love that game, one of the few "Metroidvanias" I had the time to finish. Also, I'm glad that SPM is being recognized as a good game more and more these days; makes me wonder if the series could possibly do anything to have same happen to Sticker Star, though.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My own unpopular opinion is that we are far more likely to get a third-party newcomer that despite being iconic, is a character few asked for thanmost of the third-party newcomer candidate that tops the list of fan requests. The only third-part characters we have gotten due to fan demand were Sonic and Mega Man, who had the distinction of being by far the most highly requested newcomer characters for Brawl and Smash 4 as well as big-name icons. None of the highly requested newcomer characters are in the same situation as the mentioned two characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@PushDustIn RE: Third parties

I'm torn.
On the one hand, I have no issue with seeing more and more third-party characters join Smash Bros., unlike some people, as long as they have SOME association with Nintendo.
Because in spite of what the Wii U's library would have you believe, Nintendo's history is filled with collaborations with other companies, and I don't see the issue with giving them a slice of the pie too.

On the other hand, contracts expire.
Solid Snake was in Brawl, but he was cut from Smash 4. This happens since it's not always possible to secure the rights to a character. But this is worrying because with every new third-party character that's added, this becomes more likely. What if, in Smash 5 we get five new third-party characters along with the ones we have, but in Smash 6, all of them are gone?

In short, licensing issues have the potential to tear the roster apart if a ton of third-party characters are added.

Also, digital distribution and potential re-releases of games and DLC could be an issue. We've already seen something like this with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, with Jill Valentine and Shuma-Gorath DLC not being available for the game anymore due to Disney not supporting the game anymore (iirc?).

That being said, a lot of the third-parties I personally want are owned by companies that already have a place in Smash Bros. and probably will not ever leave, so that would alleviate the issue a lot.
Or in the case of Shovel Knight, Yacht Club is extremely lenient with the rights to the character, it seems.

So, for me, yes, bring in the third-party newcomers! I just worry it will cause problems eventually.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
As an unpopular opinion
**** Asriel
Why can't Flowey just be some random ******* that uses you to get all powerful? Why is there a need to connect him to Asgore and the overall plot? I just want some random villain that ****s things up not for some "reason"(in this case, that he can't feel positive emotions) and just because they are ********
Same problem I have with Metal Face
He was going so strong as a villain until Valak Mountain happens

It feels the same if the Majora's Mask was revealed to be Navi the whole time that had been corrupted or some ****
i think itd been better if you give a better heads up that this was undertales spoilers, i have a hard time reading the spoiler tag box text because of a skin im using. (Smashboards Dark) so i didnt exactly know what i was clicking on

Last edited:

Chrono.

Tfw GX's Xenoblade X videos show up on my subs and you feel like they're rubbing their junk on your face.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wait, why the hell is this game unpopular?
The Tomb Raider reboot is awesome and made Lara Croft an amazing character!

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Wait, why the hell is this game unpopular?
The Tomb Raider reboot is awesome and made Lara Croft an amazing character!
Well considering most people don't like how it's less exploration (which is true) and looked more like an Uncharted clone (which people criticized that by calling it Dude Raider), you'll see why people didn't like it.

It is a fun game and I do miss the exploration of tombs and hidden artifacts

D

Deleted member

I'm kind of afraid to do unpopular opinions lol... #YOLO I suppose.

Like, I think Mario Galaxy is a bit stiff and not really that fun compared to other 3D Mario games. It feels too slow and don't care for walking on spheres in video games. The power ups don't really do it for me, either, and the lack of moves Mario has compared to Sunshine and 64 give me less depth to be creative.

New Super Mario Bros. DS is the best one.

Pokemon Gold and Silver on Game Boy Color is better than Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

I consider Sonic Colors Wii a badly designed game with the questionable use of double jump, a lot of the level design being real slow and the controls being someone jank at times in the 2D sections. The level design in some of the levels can be infuriatingly cheap with the deathpits, and I personally just don't like the feel of the game.

I think Sonic 4 is fun, despite not being a classic Sonic game. I definitely feel it shouldn't be called "Sonic 4", though.

I think Pokemon is better off without Megas.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
While I can definitely agree with all of this, it's a very Japanese series, and I don't think that translates well to America. American children are not going to understand a lot of the references and jokes that make the series so popular in Japan.
I'm going to butt into the conversation.

I never got this logic. Why does it matter if they get it or not? It's not like it is integral to everything. The only thing they won't get is the monster designs. I mean, if "getting" was important to a monsters design, then half the pokemon designs would be trash. Everything is, is pretty understandable. The dialogue certainly is. I don't think I've seen one joke that I had to be japanse to understand.

I know only a few Yokai, and I still enjoy the designs quite a bit even if I don't get them. I might even look some of these up for a learning experience.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
-I really think the first Sonic Rush game is really poorly designed. It suffers the same mistakes that Dimps tends to do. Annoying pit and enemy placement, and generally uninteresting level design. And add to that the bosses this time are very unfun and break the flow of the game. IN a game where you run at a million of miles per hour, the concept of a boss fight that can only be hit once every 30 seconds is very unfitting. Blaze and the soundtrack are cool though. Rush Adventure was a huge improvement in almost every way.

-I don't really care much for the majority of Mega Pokemon. A lot of them are too over designed and over the top for my liking. There's just... too much noise. With that said, there are some Mega forms I do like such as Ampharos, Mawile and Beedrill.

-I mainly play Pokemon for single player. The main campaign should be fun to me so I can enjoy the game. I didn't like Gen 5's campaign for the pacing and very overly-linear region structure. And Gen 6's campaign feels very half hearted. So I never really agree with the notion that Pokemon always improves. A lot of the good changes mainly matters to the meta-game, and the meta-game does not appeal to me.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinions?

Other M was a solid game, and had a lot of throwbacks to the original 2D games.
Twilight Princess is the worst 3D Zelda game. A Link Between worlds is the worst 2D Zelda game. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hour Glass are both solid games, and got more enjoyment than the previous two.

D

Deleted member

i think itd been better if you give a better heads up that this was undertales spoilers, i have a hard time reading the spoiler tag box text because of a skin im using. (Smashboards Dark) so i didnt exactly know what i was clicking on
I use Smashboards Dark and it shows up just fine
Sorry if I spoiled it to you but that's not my fault

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just got back from the Peanuts Movie. (It was so gooooooood!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom