• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul.

Personally, I don't see the point in having another Yoshi character when Yoshi himself is just fine. I don't know, it just seems like there's no other notable character to be included alongside him.
The problem with Sonic is that Sonic team keeps switching up the formula every other game, which means that they never fully polish one. The 3D stages in Generations were close to perfect imo, I hope they just go back to that.
I agree tbh

While it is certainly good to try out different concepts and use them on Sonic games, changing it consistently doesn't always work well. I'd also like to see more from the Modern Sonic Generations gameplay.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've played the Yoshi games. He's not a major character. He is an obstacle for the player in a few select levels. That's like saying Hammer Bros are a "major" character. Just because he appears in every game doesn't make him a major character.
He's the most major and recurring character besides the 3 I listed, however. Poochy is really one of the only few reocurring characters in Yoshi. Major or not, I still feel he's a good choice.

Again. Major character.

Poochy is far from a major character.

Kamek would be considered a Mario character foremost if Smash Wii U is anything to go by.
You think Poochy's not, I think he is, not going to change your mind on this.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'm kind of afraid to do unpopular opinions lol... #YOLO I suppose.

Like, I think Mario Galaxy is a bit stiff and not really that fun compared to other 3D Mario games. It feels too slow and don't care for walking on spheres in video games. The power ups don't really do it for me, either, and the lack of moves Mario has compared to Sunshine and 64 give me less depth to be creative.

New Super Mario Bros. DS is the best one.

Pokemon Gold and Silver on Game Boy Color is better than Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

I consider Sonic Colors Wii a badly designed game with the questionable use of double jump, a lot of the level design being real slow and the controls being someone jank at times in the 2D sections. The level design in some of the levels can be infuriatingly cheap with the deathpits, and I personally just don't like the feel of the game.

I think Sonic 4 is fun, despite not being a classic Sonic game. I definitely feel it shouldn't be called "Sonic 4", though.

I think Pokemon is better off without Megas.
I agree with what you said about Mario Galaxy. I enjoyed the game but I much prefer the other 3D Marios. Galaxy's graphics, soundtrack and floating spheres are great and all but they're not the reasons I'd play a Mario game. I felt like it didn't play as fast as the other 3D Mario games.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Again. Major character.

Poochy is far from a major character.

Kamek would be considered a Mario character foremost if Smash Wii U is anything to go by.
Like LTP said, he's major compared to other characters. Still, you don't have to agree with me.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
He's the most major and recurring character besides the 3 I listed, however. Poochy is really one of the only few reocurring characters in Yoshi. Major or not, I still feel he's a good choice.

You think Poochy's not, I think he is, not going to change your mind on this.
Just because there's very few characters doesn't make the other character anymore major. His role is small and makes up a very small percent of the games. That's a reocurring minor character.

Also, Yoshi has his own stage and trophies. Yoshi is a series. If Wario is a series, so is Yoshi.
He didn't say otherwise.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly at this point I just wish Sakurai would have just given Yoshi the Mushroom symbol while keeping his victory theme, if only so that people wouldn't seriously bring up such minor characters for the sole purpose of having a second "Yoshi rep"...

Yoshi is so tied to the Mario series that it's almost jarring that he has his own symbol. Wario and Donkey Kong have not only had games, but entire series, that feature no reference to the Mario games, while Yoshi...hasn't. Baby Mario? Right in the name. Games without the babies? Show me one that doesn't have Mario enemies.

One of those nitpicky things that I do get unnecessarily bothered by... :laugh:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just because there's very few characters doesn't make the other character anymore major. His role is small and makes up a very small percent of the games. That's a reocurring minor character.
I respectfully disagree, but alright then. Even if he's a recourring minor character, I still think he has a lot of potential for a good Smash moveset.

So out of all minor characters, he's the "least" minor.

That doesn't make him a major character.
Read above.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Poochy is a major recurring character actually, appearing in almost every Yoshi game, while Kamek and the Stork don't (Also what kind of sick twisted person would want Baby Mario?) Poochy could work, he'd kinda play like Ivysaur I think.
@bladzer
Like LTP said, he's major compared to other characters. Still, you don't have to agree with me.
Compared to who? Shy Guys and Goombas?

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Poochy is not a major character in te yoshi series.The only reasonable chooses are either kamek or baby mario.And i dont think anybody wants to punch a baby.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly at this point I just wish Sakurai would have just given Yoshi the Mushroom symbol while keeping his victory theme, if only so that people wouldn't seriously bring up such minor characters for the sole purpose of having a second "Yoshi rep"...

Yoshi is so tied to the Mario series that it's almost jarring that he has his own symbol. Wario and Donkey Kong have not only had games, but entire series, that feature no reference to the Mario games, while Yoshi...hasn't. Baby Mario? Right in the name. Games without the babies? Show me one that doesn't have Mario enemies.

Come on man, there wasn't a need to tell me my character choice (I've said again and again this is my own opinion) is a bad idea and ridiculous (that's what I'm getting from your post)

Yoshi has much more original elements then Mario elements. Well, not much more, but atleast a good amount, I'd say.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And you know what? You're getting unnecessarily pissed for no reason. Seriously, chill out.
Also, Yoshi has his own stage and trophies. Yoshi is a series. If Wario is a series, so is Yoshi.
Except the Wario series actually branched out from Mario with having little to nothing to do with settings or characters from it. As well as settings and characters from Wario's series having little to nothing to do with the main branch of Mario.
The Yoshi series has Baby Mario as the co-star and has Bowser (adult, not Baby) serve as the main villain in a majority of the games.
It's literally like saying Luigi isn't a Mario character if he used a symbol for Luigi's Mansion. It's hogwash.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Guys, it's only an opinion, after all, it's called unpopular opinions for a reason. :p

Naoshi

I respectfully disagree, but alright then. Even if he's a recourring minor character, I still think he has a lot of potential for a good Smash moveset.
I agree to disagree with the moveset potential. I don't feel he has a good moveset potential. He's not a varied character at all, and there is not... many materials to take from that character. Arguably you can make him do dog things, but that role is already filled by Duck Hunt Dog. It's fine you want that character, I won't hold you against it.

Guys, it's only an opinion, after all, it's called unpopular opinions for a reason. :p
We were only irked by Poochy being called a major character, when that is pretty misleading. That's kind of a different subject altogether.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Except the Wario series actually branched out from Mario with having little to nothing to do with settings or characters from it. As well as settings and characters from Wario's series having little to nothing to do with the main branch of Mario.
The Yoshi series has Baby Mario as the co-star and has Bowser (adult, not Baby) serve as the main villain in a majority of the games.
It's literally like saying Luigi isn't a Mario character if he used a symbol for Luigi's Mansion. It's hogwash.
Point still stands. Yoshi has been firmly established as it's own series, with Mario elements or not, and that's not going to change, and I don't see why it should. Yoshi is completely different gameplay-wise from Mario by now.

Mario RPG has some Final Fantasy enemies, is Mario RPG a Final Fantasy game?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You guys wanna hear something funny:

Apparently there's a new website that's supposed to be a safer, friendlier and nicer version of Tumblr called Pillowfort.com

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Then please don't paint him as a major character. That's just misleading and putting too much emphasis on his "importance."

I agree to disagree with the moveset potential. I don't feel he has a good moveset potential. He's not a varied character at all, and there is not... many materials to take from that character. Arguably you can make him do dog things, but that role is already filled by Duck Hunt Dog. It's fine you want that character, I won't hold you against it.
What? I didn't say I agreed with you. It's my opinion, and I feel he's decently major, so I'm not going to not paint him like one.

Also, would you like to see a moveset I made for Poochy & Ukiki? I feel it's original enough.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd like to see if I can't give my two cents on this subject, but since I just got here, might I ask what exactly is the current subject?

All I can definitely tell is that it's mainly about Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

He even mixed Yoshi into the main branch of Mario characters on the CSS and put all Yoshi-associated trophies in the Mario section except for Yoshi's own fighter trophies.
And TO THIS DAY, a stage from a MARIO game is listed as a Yoshi stage. Yoshi's Island (Melee) anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That moment when you realize we spent half a page berating someone for their unpopular opinion related to what they wanted to see in Smash. Everything else was civil. But as soon as the questionable Smash characters came in.

EDIT: Not saying I disagree with the prosecution, just that it's a tad ironic.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

We were only irked by Poochy being called a major character, when that is pretty misleading. That's kind of a different subject altogether.
Okay I see, I see Poochy as a major character, but that's just me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Point still stands. Yoshi has been firmly established as it's own series, with Mario elements or not, and that's not going to change, and I don't see why it should. Yoshi is completely different gameplay-wise from Mario by now.

Mario RPG has some Final Fantasy enemies, is Mario RPG a Final Fantasy game?
Just because it's established as its own series doesn't mean it needs more than one character. Look at Game and Watch and Duck Hunt. Unless you want to add a physical Game and Watch or the actual field from Duck Hunt, they don't need anything else, nor should they get it. Yoshi, despite having his own games, is so firmly tied to Mario even within those games that it doesn't need any more, mainly since there's no huge secondary non-Mario character.

And that Final Fantasy counterpoint makes zero sense. Mario didn't debut in a Final Fantasy game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
User was warned for this double post
That moment when you realize we spent half a page berating someone for their unpopular opinion related to what they wanted to see in Smash.
Everything else was civil. But as soon as the questionable Smash characters came in.
Thank you, Kenith.

Alright, I get it fellas, Poochy is a terrible choice to the majority. But can we please not act like I just suggested Shrek for Smash next time?

Just because it's established as its own series doesn't mean it needs more than one character. Look at Game and Watch and Duck Hunt. Unless you want to add a physical Game and Watch or the actual field from Duck Hunt, they don't need anything else, nor should they get it. Yoshi, despite having his own games, is so firmly tied to Mario even within those games that it doesn't need any more, mainly since there's no huge secondary non-Mario character.

And that Final Fantasy counterpoint makes zero sense. Mario didn't debut in a Final Fantasy game.
I didn't say that, I just said that Yoshi is a series and that's going to change, so it should keep it's symbol.

The entire basis is that Yoshi borrows many elements from Mario. That doesn't make it Mario. If you think the argument was bad, then I'm fine with that, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoshi

I have no issues with Poochy being suggested (even though I don't agree with the idea). I just question the initial inflation of his importance is all.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Poochy is a major recurring character actually, appearing in almost every Yoshi game, while Kamek and the Stork don't (Also what kind of sick twisted person would want Baby Mario?) Poochy could work, he'd kinda play like Ivysaur I think.
Poochy confirmed as the new Bandana Dee. People supporting him for the sake of having another rep for a series and because he's a recurring character :troll:
No but seriously, Poochy is awesome. I'd have him as an AT similar to what Gogoat does.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, this whole "unpopular opinions" thing didn't really go well as I originally thought.

Welp.

Back to the drawing board.

Naoshi

I guess it's one of those strange cases where it's a matter of opinion, at least if you ask me.
I would have let this go, except he claimed I was interrogating him over his choice, which was not the case AT ALL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom