• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Does this mean Sticks is the Rosalina to Marine's Daisy?
Well Marine was only in one game so no....

I mean I know people joke about Daisy not showing up in stuff because of Mario Maker but she's actually appeared in like, over 30 games, and she hasn't been missing any spin-offs lately...and she never really did either.

Rosalina just recently passed 10 games and is almost 10 years old in terms of when she debuted. And missed a good number of spin-offs since she debuted.

Again, why the "Rosalina is forced/ Nintendo's Lightning" meme is stupid, she's arguably the least forced Mario character, in part because of how Koizumi actually gives a damn about how she is utilised and is actually kinda specific about how she is used.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
[QUOTE="Pokechu, post: 20659017, member: 238951"
i knew it no one really loves me
I mean, that ain't true S2
How your Nuzlocke doing?
Mine has been all about gambling lately
honestly ngl

I kinda stopped playing it SINCE I DON'T WANT MY POKES TO DIE

that one slaughterday you had where swampasaur, frostwraith, naoshi, and someone else died

mortified me.

but I'm facing my fears and will start playing. right now.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I took an hour to try and calm Gamefaqs by posting a gigantic thing about how Bayonetta won.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73066427

So, nearly 2 million votes were cast in the ballot;

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

Let's take a look at the largest fan-poll that I'm aware of, a reddit survey with 13,000 respondents:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._results_the_smash_bros_dlc_reddit_survey_is/

Note: Yes, I understand sample sizes, which why I know that the pre-emptive "But sample sizes!" argument doesn't work at all. More on that in a bit.

Now, see, this amounts to less than 1% of the total vote share of the ballot. Banjo-Kazooie, Isaac, and King K. Rool all got the top spots. If you made all of these votes into votes for any of these characters, it would mean that character takes up less than 1% of the voting share.

That isn't an awful number when you account for how vast the vote will be in a contest like this, but you need to take into account something I'll call a "support ceiling", where certain characters have a low ceiling due to low exposure in a large scale public vote.

This is something applicable to King K. Rool, for example: His last appearance in a game sans Smash 4 itself was in Super Mario Sluggers, a game released 7 years ago. In fact, since DK64, he's been relegated to ports and spinoff games from the DK franchise. He's not very recognizable to a crowd of multiple millions, and there's a strong enough divide in that one community that DOES largely recognize him, since plenty of support for other characters exist.

...This leads into the whole "sample sizes" thing, where some people seem to believe that these largely unscientific polls adequately represent the entire Smash fandom of several million. Thing is, forum goers qualify as their own demographic, and using a single demographic as a sample size for an audience comprised of multiple differing demographics doesn't make any sense.

The same support ceiling problem is what kills Isaac, Shovel Knight, and Shantae's chances. But there's another problem.

Dixie Kong is also a character with some level of support, and a character that probably has more mainstream support than King K. Rool does. Tropical Freeze sold well enough (1+ Million units) making Dixie somewhat recognizable. This causes a split in the vote.

This is precisely why no Mario character had any chance of winning the ballot, too. Waluigi, Daisy, and Toad (especially Toad) are recognizable to the average Nintendo gamer, and all could've received votes. Hypothetical:

Bayonetta: 60,000 votes
Toad: 50,000 votes
Waluigi: 50,000 votes
Daisy: 50,000 votes

...Because this ballot is winner-take-all, the latter three lose even though the support for a Mario character was substantially higher. See the same result for Dixie/Rool.

Onto these two words:

"Negotiable"

No reason to believe this isn't in a business sense. Konami's been awful this year and Hideo's request for Snake is why Snake even got in Brawl to start with, so his lack of inclusion isn't anything shocking. This applies to pretty much any third party, potentially. Remember that the level of content that exists for every third-party in this game is different, down to how different the alt colors get to be and how much music each stage has.

"Realizable"

Some people seem to believe that Sakurai just applied this to *insert favorite character here* as a sleight against them as a way to justify his Bayonetta...bias(?)

...Of course, the more likely conclusion is that this word applies to several different things:

-Characters that are too technically demanding.
-Characters lacking in moveset potential.
-Characters that didn't originate in video-games. I.e., Goku, Shrek, etc.

Ice Climbers fall under the first definition, for example. They might have received more votes than Bayonetta did, but technical problems with the 3DS (and possibly the Wii U, due to 8 player Smash) prevented their inclusion.

Theoretically, this could be where Inklings are: Spraying ink would be an integral part of their moveset, and this may not have jived well with the engine or there may not have been a feasible way to faithfully adapt them into Smash.

Wolf

This is anecdotal, but remember when Lucas was announced? Pretty much everybody assumed Wolf was coming back. This is because, leading up to that direct, nobody actually knew if Mewtwo was going to be the only DLC character we got. Lucas and the ballot opened the floodgates on speculation, and the assumption at the time was that "If these two popular cut veterans return, Wolf is clearly gonna come back!"

...If this is the case, a lot of people in the contained Smash community may not have even voted for Wolf, taking him for granted. Outside of forums, Wolf is more or less considered a clone, so... why would he receive a large vote share over X person's dream character?

Where did Bayonetta's support come from?

She doesn't have a split vote issue at all and she seems to be one of the only remaining characters you could choose from. I mean, let's just do a rundown;

-Wolf
-King K. Rool
-Isaac
-Toad
-Waluigi
-Daisy
-Ridley
-Inkling
-Ice Climbers
-Snake
-Banjo Kazooie

If all of these characters are taken out of the running by vote splits, low support ceilings, or conceptual issues in design (+ negotiation issues for third parties) who's even left? The game obviously sold some on the Wii U and has a pretty hardcore fanbase, so maybe they all rallied behind her and that established her placement as the winner of the ballot. Bayonetta had a lot of steam and most people who assumed she didn't have a chance existed in the contained Smash fandom.

Lastly...

Why is there even a conspiracy?

There's no evidence of one, but why would there be one? She's probably going to drive up the game's rating, something Nintendo wanted to avoid so much that they removed Tharja's trophy from the 3DS version. That's a bit of hassle. She's clearly a complicated character, more so than a lot of "fan favorites". There's no real point in inserting her as an advertisement character since her game was released over a year ago.

This entire situation is hardcore denial as a result of broken expectations that formed from the untrue belief that the average forum-goer represented the several million people who purchased Smash 4. I feel like making this topic is necessary because people need to get a grip and realize:

A: A lot of characters aren't that popular outside of communities where people discuss Smash every day.
B: Sakurai isn't out to harm your favorite character. I'm an avid Sukapon supporter, but him not being added is because he's irrelevant, not because Sakurai is out to sabotage the Sukapon fandom.
C: It's a fightan vidya, not your life. It'll be okay, there's no need to carry on a seething hatred for a developer because the ballot didn't go the way you wanted it too.
Not bad.

People take these things too seriously. It is just a game, like you pointed out.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is Smash related, right?

This was so one sided that he didn't need his brother, Crazy Hand to help him nor going full Master Core

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

This was so one sided that he didn't need his brother, Crazy Hand to help him nor going full Master Core
Ho-HOOOOLY ****, that was awesome.
If Master Hand was actually like that, I would never play Classic Mode on anything but 0.0 again.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Its funny cuz what polygon man ever did was spawn minions and try to hit you with his chin getting stuck.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Its funny cuz what polygon man ever did was spawn minions and try to hit you with his chin getting stuck.
The fight was essentially Fist VS Face.
If you know what "Fist + Face" equals, it's "Fist Wins".
:4pacman:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Listening to the Noragami OST. A certain track is a mix of traditional Asian music, dance/techno and rap and it makes a great battle theme.

Then again, it's the same composer that did the Gurren Lagann OST, which had a song that mixed opera and rap.

Also, people still complaining about the final two DLC characters, I see. That and me spending the holidays with my family make the reasons as to why I've been less active lately. Thankfully, I haven't lost anything remarkable.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I'm actually very disappointed Master Core didn't feature, that would have been unbelievably hype.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

This reminded me how awesome a human Master Hand cosplay would be. :awesome:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hello everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah and hoping for the best this upcoming new year!

...I may be quiet for a while because Xenoblade Chronicles X has seriously taken over my life.

...also, considering transferring my Wii data to Wii U. As long as I have enough Wii U HDD space it won't ask me to reformat it when putting the Wii save data on it right?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Remember kiddos: you must love every single character in Smash Bros. history and never want any of them cut or else apparently your the equivalent of the beast or something.

So I was looking at some of the recent Waluigi Brawl Mod vidyas and I happened to spot this in the comments
View attachment 89810
We gettin' the WA B O Y S
JustBecauseWeTryDon'tMeanWeWon'tTryHarder
Waluigi'sBack![1].png

when waluigi getting in smash before toad

:^( waaaaaaaaaaaat is this.

when toad always a bridesmaid, never a bride. waaaaaa time
Well, it's still just a mod, so it really doesn't matter much in the long run. Even then, it's nowhere near as bad as the Mario and Sonic games. So many characters and still no Toad.

:094:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Not sure if :079: but just in case
:4larry: and :4roy: have joined the Olympics, leading up to :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4ludwig:
If the :4iggy::4lemmy::4morton: aren't playable I will have an empty hole in my heart

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Remember kiddos: you must love every single character in Smash Bros. history and never want any of them cut or else apparently your the equivalent of the beast or something.

View attachment 89812

Well, it's still just a mod, so it really doesn't matter much in the long run. Even then, it's nowhere near as bad as the Mario and Sonic games. So many characters and still no Toad.

:094:
Well obviously you wouldn't be a beast but I think it's silly to want any character cut unless they are a clone (since they can just be alts).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I am still surprised they took portal and not TF2 like every generic western developer in contact with valve.
Well "Quirky Puzzler with dark sense of humor" Translates into Lego a lot better than "Quirky ONLINE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER with dark sense of humor". Plus Portal was more of a cultural phenomenon than Team Fortress 2 is. I won't lie, I would like Lego TF2 but what vehicles would each class have?

Only ones that come to mind are the Sentry Gun, Sniper's van and the Bread Van and Sniper's Van. As for the characters I think that the most popular characters are the Heavy, Soldier, Scout and Spy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well "Quirky Puzzler with dark sense of humor" Translates into Lego a lot better than "Quirky ONLINE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER with dark sense of humor". Plus Portal was more of a cultural phenomenon than Team Fortress 2 is. I won't lie, I would like Lego TF2 but what vehicles would each class have?

Only ones that come to mind are the Sentry Gun, Sniper's van and the Bread Van and Sniper's Van. As for the characters I think that the most popular characters are the Heavy, Soldier, Scout and Spy.
TF2 characters already appeared next to Sonic and Wreck-It Ralph so I don't see why it would be a problem with LEGO especially since a lot of LEGO characters actually use guns.

----------

Here's a bunch of gameplay clips of Rio 2016.

Chrono.

You know I saw someone bring this up on one of the M&S Videos.
To cover the last three teams of the sonic cast.
You would need Big for Team Rose.
Charmy for the Chaotix.
And Storm for Team Babylon.
I can't help but feel this would complete the Koopalings as well.
:4iggy::4lemmy::4morton:
Yeah the roster choices are kinda weird but eh

I'm happy the Koopalings didn't overtake another roster

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Welp, looks like these two are missing the Olympics for the fifth time in the row

But hey, we got Espio. And he is clearly ready to go

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm thinking about buying Wii Fit again.

The problem is finding a balance board and getting it cheap

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me and a friend compared Smash characters to Star Wars characters
Boba Fett: Captain Falcon because Ensemble Darkhorse
Palpatine: Ganondorf because villainy
Darth Vader: Luigi because relation
Luke: Mario because protagonist
Leia: Peach because kidnapping
Sarlacc: Kirby because nomnoms

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I honestly think Luke is Luigi and Darth is Mario
Mainly because of the skit that Charles did in Mario's image
"LUU-GEE"
"I'M-A YO PAPA!" :4mario:
"...Naaaah! You not my papa!" :4luigi:

D

Deleted member

I think Shulk should be Luke if anything

D

Deleted member

I might as well point out the Monado's resemblance to a Lightsaber.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I like this better

:4shulk:- Luke
:4peach:- Leia
:4fox:- Han Solo
:4dk:- Chewy
:4megaman:- C3-PO
:4rob:- R2-D2
:4ganondorf:- Vader
:4mewtwo:- Emperor
:4ryu:- Obi Wan
:4yoshi:- Yoda
:4falcon:- Boba

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

New M&S trailer, reveals the whole roster.
Th Whole roster? But we still need Big and Charmy so we can have the full Sonic Heroes cast. Question though, is Cheese with Cream, since you know, you can't have one without the other. Also I suppose I'm somewhat wrong, the whole Sonic Heroes cast won't be in the game, since Chocola or Froggy won't be in it.

Not gonna lie here.
If they made an Amiibo set for this new M&S Game.
I think I would buy the entire line.
I kinda hope they do it now.
Because it basically covers nearly all the important characters from each side of the franchises.
Yes, please, bring on my Daisy and Waluigi amiibo

I hope not.
Because the numbers are stacked in Mario's favour.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4yoshi::rosalina::4wario2::4dk::4diddy: Not to mention four new characters are essentially tied behind Jr.
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4ludwig:
:4sonic:
Imagine it now.
Classic Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, Dry Bones, Nabbit.
Nearly the entire Sonic Heroes Cast, Silver, Blaze, Jet, Wave, Sticks (compatible with Rise of Lyric :p)
It's the most ingenious way of Nintendo and Sega getting more money out of me and many others.
Yeah and the Stick amiibo fixes all glitches and technical problems with Rise of Lyric :troll:

Yep - These newcomers have sold it for me already. Now that I remember - Jet and Omega were rivals and to respond to @TheRealIrene, I think only King Boo is yet to be given a playable promotion. But that's from memory.
I'll gladly have King Boo promoted to playable as well.

Wasn't boo in Mario Striker's Charged?

You kinda need legs for soccer
No its not called soccer, its called Football, you know the real Football :troll:

Ugh. Why did winter have to show up AFTER Christmas.

Anyways, hello, people.
It just wanted to make everyone fill cool :p

While for a sports game, Mario and Sonic looks like it blows Mario Tennis out of the water...

I'm probably still going to skip it
Well considering its gone above and beyond the roster of any Mario Tennis game, that's not to surprising

So is Julie-Su in Sonic Boom now?

She's a Bandicoot though, so she's more ripping of Coco's style, I guess its no wonder that Sonic Boom Crashed and burnt then :troll:

when waluigi getting in smash before toad

:^( waaaaaaaaaaaat is this.

when toad always a bridesmaid, never a bride. waaaaaa time
No, it's Waluigi who's still always the bride maid, remember Toad is still a playable character in main Mario platfomers.

You know it would be kind of funny if Toadette got to be playable in the Olympic games and Toad didn't.

Also going back to Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games rosters, I have to say I'm happy that we have both Rouge and Cream finally playable, to be honest one of them should have been playable since the first Olympic games, instead of Blaze, no offence to Blaze fans, since she's cool and all, but she isn't nearly as important to Sonic games as the other 2. And having Cream means Daisy finally has here equivalent from Sonic now, since you know their both best friends of the female leads.

And nice of you to bring arch nemesis, Eggman Nega, with you Blaze, maybe you'd like to bring your sidekick marine with you as well. I do also hope Storm comes as well, since come on guys, you can't have all the Babylon Rogues without all 3 of them.

Other characters I'd like to see are the rest of the Koopalings, and E.Gadd. Also Sega should keep going, keep going until your forced into having to bring Fang, Bean, Bark, Ray, Mighty and Honey out of storage.

Oh who am I kidding they're more likely to bring back Elise then they are to ever bring them back....:(

Something else I have a gut feeling on, is that if all of the Deadly six are added, chances all of the Koopaling will be added as well.

And one more thing, with Rosalina now playable, Blaze also now has her equivalent in the game, if your wondering how Rosalina is Blaze's equivalent, the explanation is quite simple, they're heroes who don't always work with Sonic and Mario, and well they've never been kidnapped as well, unlike Peach, Amy, Daisy and Cream.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
TF2 characters already appeared next to Sonic and Wreck-It Ralph so I don't see why it would be a problem with LEGO especially since a lot of LEGO characters actually use guns.

----------

Here's a bunch of gameplay clips of Rio 2016.

Wait. Is Sonic wearing a life vest in the swimming event?
10/10 Sega. 10/10

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So is Julie-Su in Sonic Boom now?

Shhhh, we don't need to get Ken Penders involved.

Peach is Mario's sister?

Chrono.

Hey Arle Nadja is in Mario Maker now.

EDIT: Ignore this, it's fake.

Last edited: