• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am a fan of Jet and would like to see him potentially in a real sonic game

Maybe Sonic Heroes 2

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yep - These newcomers have sold it for me already. Now that I remember - Jet and Omega were rivals and to respond to Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , I think only King Boo is yet to be given a playable promotion. But that's from memory.
The first Olympics had Jet, Rouge, Omega, and Eggman Nega for the Sonic side, Big Bullet Bill, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Dry Bowser for the other. King Boo and Bullet Bill are the only ones who didn't make it, for obvious legless reasons :V

Birdo came in as a rival at London 2012 I think.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Everyone hates all the attention that Fire Emblem has gotten in Smash Bros., despite that they're going along and adding Roy in the new Mario and Sonic Olympics game. That doesn't even make sense!

C'mon Nintendo, this has gotten way out of hand.

:troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wasn't boo in Mario Striker's Charged?

You kinda need legs for soccer

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They were just goalies I think.
No he wasn't, he was like a super broken character in it

If you shoot from the right distance, the ball could go right through the goalie

He turned invisible during his special shot and the ball went through people or something

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Weren't the goalies kremlings?
That was in the Mario Strikers Charged games, before the Kremlings went on their hiatus. And I feel kongfident that because of the fan demand and speculation, they are probably going to return to the Donkey Kong series very soon.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really hoping they are doing something big when they bring the kremlings back

Imagine Kremland in HD glory in DKCR3

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
So, I did some more buying today:

Interstellar and Pacific Rim on Blu-Ray

I found a physical copy of Shovel Knight at Wal-Mart!

And I ordered the Jackbox Party Pack for 360 and the Force Awakens soundtrack on Amazon.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
literally spent all day playing FF6 put in a good 6,7 hours in it.Than my emulator crashes and my save states are gone.Praactically wasted my time.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
literally spent all day playing FF6 put in a good 6,7 hours in it.Than my emulator crashes and my save states are gone.Praactically wasted my time.
That happens to me a lot when I do GBA emulation. It sucks. Nothing more to do than just move on. Or you could play until you get to your old point.

I'd suggest maybe searching GameFAQs for Saves and see if any are close to where you were. Then see if they're compatible with your emulator.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
As a huge Rhythm Heaven fan, I don't think we should call the Glee Club guys (aka Chorus Kids) a shoo-in, especially when there could be other potential reps for the franchise and their major appearance was really just the DS game. It's also a bit of difficult to know who will get in next time given the franchise doesn't have a character-driven focus on anyone. I'd argue it's debatable about Rhythm Heaven's chance in the roster for Smash 5 at all. But I do think it's a bit likely we'll get a RH fighter (given how there's a lot of hints for it in Smash 4's datamining) but we'll wait and see.

Personally I would be really happy for such a thing to happen. RH is a strong franchise in Japan and it's kind of a surprise we didn't get much content out of it.

Last edited:

Chrono.

New Splatoon maps?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
New Splatoon maps?
The more content I see get added to Splatoon the more I realize how much of a missed opportunity it was for them to not include Inklings in Smash.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I wasted my entire day today because I learned some super awesome stuff about 3ds files.

Basically, you know how to get files from a 3ds game, you need to decrypt it with a 3ds that is like frozen in the past time with a decrypter? (serious, it's that complicated).

Actually, I found a way that you wouldn’t need to, so much that I was able to start a game on the Citra emulator (runs very poorly but it starts) and can you believe it? It allowed me to get the ENTIRE filesystem.

And guess what?

I got the paper jam one :) :) :)

......but I really couldn’t do much :cry:

Well, I got the music extracted, but for the love of god, idk why the sfx wants to know NOTHING, they jsut don't work or the dumper that dumped them don't work and also, the ONE program that coudl extract the custom archive format from the game to get models and textures DOES NOT WORK!

urgh (really, guys, I spent hours of googling, even google trolled me).

So, I have every wav from the bcstm files which consists of every music or voices.

But I cant; rip the sound effects :(

As for how I did got the file system in the first place, you do need to download a thing, but it;s much easier than everyone made it sounds like.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Urgh...
I can't believe I'm saying this but...
Paper Jam looks.... fun...

I still think its utterly STUPID how it pays barely any hommage to either of the RPGs, and the NSMB style level progression and enemy choices are dumb, but.... Game has at least a good 15 hours or so, music is great, battles look fun... Bleugh. I concede defeat.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Urgh...
I can't believe I'm saying this but...
Paper Jam looks.... fun...

I still think its utterly STUPID how it pays barely any hommage to either of the RPGs, and the NSMB style level progression and enemy choices are dumb, but.... Game has at least a good 15 hours or so, music is great, battles look fun... Bleugh. I concede defeat.

Told ya it'd be good. :p

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like chocolate truffles and all, so I decided to look up what exactly they were

Apparently it's pretty much Frosting coated in chocolate

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
People hyping a mario spin off toster,what a kind of dark magic is that?:gova:
Who wouldn't love a Mario and Sonic Toaster? :p That'd be cool, but I think a Mario and Sonic cookie cutter would be just as manageable, and more marketable. In all seriousness, the roster of the new Mario and Sonic Olympics looks really fresh, and this might be the first one I get on a handheld.

My day was largely spent trying to finish the rest of the Season Three set of MythBusters, and hoping to get Season 4 and 5 of the show to watch at my own pace and relive a classic TV show that I loved. They had a great run, but I did foresee that it wouldn't really last long without the Build Team. I guess I'll confess that I also have Adam and Jamie Miis too - and even made a Victory Quote when I finished playing as Adam: "The myth that I would lose in Smash is Busted!"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
While for a sports game, Mario and Sonic looks like it blows Mario Tennis out of the water...

I'm probably still going to skip it

D

Deleted member

I find it funny how everyone keeps fighting over 2 stock vs 3 stock when 3 stock always wins the polls. Like, guys, just accept it already. lol

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I took an hour to try and calm Gamefaqs by posting a gigantic thing about how Bayonetta won.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/73066427

So, nearly 2 million votes were cast in the ballot;

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

Let's take a look at the largest fan-poll that I'm aware of, a reddit survey with 13,000 respondents:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._results_the_smash_bros_dlc_reddit_survey_is/

Note: Yes, I understand sample sizes, which why I know that the pre-emptive "But sample sizes!" argument doesn't work at all. More on that in a bit.

Now, see, this amounts to less than 1% of the total vote share of the ballot. Banjo-Kazooie, Isaac, and King K. Rool all got the top spots. If you made all of these votes into votes for any of these characters, it would mean that character takes up less than 1% of the voting share.

That isn't an awful number when you account for how vast the vote will be in a contest like this, but you need to take into account something I'll call a "support ceiling", where certain characters have a low ceiling due to low exposure in a large scale public vote.

This is something applicable to King K. Rool, for example: His last appearance in a game sans Smash 4 itself was in Super Mario Sluggers, a game released 7 years ago. In fact, since DK64, he's been relegated to ports and spinoff games from the DK franchise. He's not very recognizable to a crowd of multiple millions, and there's a strong enough divide in that one community that DOES largely recognize him, since plenty of support for other characters exist.

...This leads into the whole "sample sizes" thing, where some people seem to believe that these largely unscientific polls adequately represent the entire Smash fandom of several million. Thing is, forum goers qualify as their own demographic, and using a single demographic as a sample size for an audience comprised of multiple differing demographics doesn't make any sense.

The same support ceiling problem is what kills Isaac, Shovel Knight, and Shantae's chances. But there's another problem.

Dixie Kong is also a character with some level of support, and a character that probably has more mainstream support than King K. Rool does. Tropical Freeze sold well enough (1+ Million units) making Dixie somewhat recognizable. This causes a split in the vote.

This is precisely why no Mario character had any chance of winning the ballot, too. Waluigi, Daisy, and Toad (especially Toad) are recognizable to the average Nintendo gamer, and all could've received votes. Hypothetical:

Bayonetta: 60,000 votes
Toad: 50,000 votes
Waluigi: 50,000 votes
Daisy: 50,000 votes

...Because this ballot is winner-take-all, the latter three lose even though the support for a Mario character was substantially higher. See the same result for Dixie/Rool.

Onto these two words:

"Negotiable"

No reason to believe this isn't in a business sense. Konami's been awful this year and Hideo's request for Snake is why Snake even got in Brawl to start with, so his lack of inclusion isn't anything shocking. This applies to pretty much any third party, potentially. Remember that the level of content that exists for every third-party in this game is different, down to how different the alt colors get to be and how much music each stage has.

"Realizable"

Some people seem to believe that Sakurai just applied this to *insert favorite character here* as a sleight against them as a way to justify his Bayonetta...bias(?)

...Of course, the more likely conclusion is that this word applies to several different things:

-Characters that are too technically demanding.
-Characters lacking in moveset potential.
-Characters that didn't originate in video-games. I.e., Goku, Shrek, etc.

Ice Climbers fall under the first definition, for example. They might have received more votes than Bayonetta did, but technical problems with the 3DS (and possibly the Wii U, due to 8 player Smash) prevented their inclusion.

Theoretically, this could be where Inklings are: Spraying ink would be an integral part of their moveset, and this may not have jived well with the engine or there may not have been a feasible way to faithfully adapt them into Smash.

Wolf

This is anecdotal, but remember when Lucas was announced? Pretty much everybody assumed Wolf was coming back. This is because, leading up to that direct, nobody actually knew if Mewtwo was going to be the only DLC character we got. Lucas and the ballot opened the floodgates on speculation, and the assumption at the time was that "If these two popular cut veterans return, Wolf is clearly gonna come back!"

...If this is the case, a lot of people in the contained Smash community may not have even voted for Wolf, taking him for granted. Outside of forums, Wolf is more or less considered a clone, so... why would he receive a large vote share over X person's dream character?

Where did Bayonetta's support come from?

She doesn't have a split vote issue at all and she seems to be one of the only remaining characters you could choose from. I mean, let's just do a rundown;

-Wolf
-King K. Rool
-Isaac
-Toad
-Waluigi
-Daisy
-Ridley
-Inkling
-Ice Climbers
-Snake
-Banjo Kazooie

If all of these characters are taken out of the running by vote splits, low support ceilings, or conceptual issues in design (+ negotiation issues for third parties) who's even left? The game obviously sold some on the Wii U and has a pretty hardcore fanbase, so maybe they all rallied behind her and that established her placement as the winner of the ballot. Bayonetta had a lot of steam and most people who assumed she didn't have a chance existed in the contained Smash fandom.

Lastly...

Why is there even a conspiracy?

There's no evidence of one, but why would there be one? She's probably going to drive up the game's rating, something Nintendo wanted to avoid so much that they removed Tharja's trophy from the 3DS version. That's a bit of hassle. She's clearly a complicated character, more so than a lot of "fan favorites". There's no real point in inserting her as an advertisement character since her game was released over a year ago.

This entire situation is hardcore denial as a result of broken expectations that formed from the untrue belief that the average forum-goer represented the several million people who purchased Smash 4. I feel like making this topic is necessary because people need to get a grip and realize:

A: A lot of characters aren't that popular outside of communities where people discuss Smash every day.
B: Sakurai isn't out to harm your favorite character. I'm an avid Sukapon supporter, but him not being added is because he's irrelevant, not because Sakurai is out to sabotage the Sukapon fandom.
C: It's a fightan vidya, not your life. It'll be okay, there's no need to carry on a seething hatred for a developer because the ballot didn't go the way you wanted it too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Rosalina gymnastics session in Rio 2016.

The animation is absolutely superb. Eat your heart out WFT. Maybe now people will stop drawing random artwork of WFT training Rosalina and her not being able to keep up for no reason. :p

Also I can't get over the fact the song she is dancing to was also the final world theme in Catherine.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
when mega lopunny carries the team :^)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-310448798

I have to say, though, Xenoblade Chronicles X is real fun. Level 17 right now w/ Lin and Elma at 16, right before Chapter 5. If anyone's wondering AKA NO ONE :^( no1 loves me, my Christmas haul was...

$50 E-Shop Card
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Slippers (c'mon everyone loves slippers)
Clothes (Christmas stereotype)
Zero Suit Samus amiibo

i knew it no one really loves me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom