• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Not saying it's the only factor, but if GS's peak had happened at a time without competition so stiff, I can't imagine Isaac would have remained omitted. He had popularity, potential, and had just come off two highly successful games.

I'm also mixed about DD. Sure it could've turned out a lot more favourably, but it did keep the series afloat as opposed to nothing. However, all we got from DD was a single piece of music, so... it may have well not existed when it came to Smash.
Given my love for GS and how I would've LOVED more representation, I'm content with what we got in Sm4sh. Disappointed that it was only two songs and pissed that Isaac is nowhere to be found, true, but it's better to have SOMETHING than nothing, wouldn't you agree?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
1.7 million?

I expected more then that, honestly. Such a big poll, such a big fanbase. I mean, that's definitely a really huge number, though.
That's a pretty good number. That's almost 25% of the people who bought Smash for 3DS (theoretically).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As a matter of fact, look at this image,

So looking at this image, I believe Wolf could've easily have been a promotion for SFZ, not because of the image specifically, but the thing is that the character appears in the game, is a popular Smash veteran, and would help promote the upcoming SF well, especially considering that he's the antagonist.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

So this may be a stretch but could they be adding ground pounds to Mario Maker in SM 1 style? It's weird that Miyamoto would say he could ground pound the blocks since the level was in SMB1 style but that is not possible currently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't understand how people can still scoff at the idea of Wolf having been made DLC (partially) to promote SFZ when that's exactly what happened with Corrin and Fates.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

So looking at this image, I believe Wolf could've easily have been a promotion for SFZ, not because of the image specifically, but the thing is that the character appears in the game, is a popular Smash veteran, and would help promote the upcoming SF well, especially considering that he's the antagonist.
I don't see how Wolf would help advertise the game anymore than, say, Fox or Falco could, especially since Wolf hasn't even been shown in the game yet (physically anyway; we see his Wolfen). Heck, the fact that the Falco amiibo came out close to when SFZ was supposed to come out kinda makes "Wolf helps advertise it" null.

Chrono.

So this may be a stretch but could they be adding ground pounds to Mario Maker in SM 1 style? It's weird that Miyamoto would say he could ground pound the blocks since the level was in SMB1 style but that is not possible currently.
It technically is, if you're on a giant Kuribo's Shoe anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't understand how people can still scoff at the idea of Wolf having been made DLC (partially) to promote SFZ when that's exactly what happened with Corrin and Fates.
For me it's mainly that while Corrin's the main character and would be the only character in Smash to advertise Fates, Wolf is not the main character of Star Fox Zero, and Fox and Falco would honestly work the advertising angle better.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't see how Wolf would help advertise the game anymore than, say, Fox or Falco could, especially since Wolf hasn't even been shown in the game yet (physically anyway; we see his Wolfen). Heck, the fact that the Falco amiibo came out close to when SFZ was supposed to come out kinda makes "Wolf helps advertise it" null.
Then again, it was delayed, and it's hard to deny that Wolf would be easier to make then say... Cat Mario, just a random example.

D

Deleted member

Are you really using a bad leak as proof as to why Wolf should have been DLC?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It technically is, if you're on a giant Kuribo's Shoe anyway.
True, but there are no shoes in the level. He had and lost a Big mushroom( and never got it again), but even then that just has you stomped and crash into blocks so it doesn't fit that either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I see, I thought in the direct he mentioned Final Fantasy had a lot of characters requested in the ballot and in Famitsu he says FF has been requested for Smash as a whole. Maybe there was a translation error in the direct? Or did I hear wrong?
You just heard wrong. He has never mentioned the words "Cloud" and "ballot" in the same sentence, in writing or in speech.

For me it's mainly that while Corrin's the main character and would be the only character in Smash to advertise Fates, Wolf is not the main character of Star Fox Zero, and Fox and Falco would honestly work the advertising angle better.
Wolf is still a fan favourite and would remind people that a new Star Fox is coming better than Fox and Falco would, considering so many people view Fox and Falco as "Smash characters" due to the Melee era.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Then again, it was delayed, and it's hard to deny that Wolf would be easier to make then say... Cat Mario, just a random example.
That doesn't detract from my point though.

That, and I don't understand what Cat Mario has to do with anything.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I don't see how, he's still a character that appears in that specific title and represents that franchise, so him being a returning character or not doesn't really matter in the way that I see it.
Let me give some more reasons has to why Wolf, would not have been chosen as promotional DLC, one thing is Wolf is not guaranteed or confirmed 100% to return in Zero, and no you can't argue you can't have a Star Fox game without Wolf, cause the original didn't have him. Also you can say, well there's that's Star Wolf mode thing, but thing is games have content that doesn't always make it into the final cut, so Wolf may not return in Zero, sure we've confirmation that Pigma returns, but that doesn't mean all of Star Wolf will, cause Assault did Pigma is more then wiling to work on his own.

Another reason that Sakurai probably knew Miyamoto was going to delay to who knows when, and don't say Sakurai wouldn't know if Miyamoto would delay it, need I remind you they've worked together for a long time, Sakurai probably knows Miyamoto and his Game Design habits very well. And seing as ho Sakurai wouldn't know when Zero would be delayed and no guarantee that Wolf would return he really couldn't be used to promote Zero.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I scoff at the idea of wolf being DLC just to promote SFZ because this is the actual second stage of grief.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You just heard wrong. He has never mentioned the words "Cloud" and "ballot" in the same sentence, in writing or in speech.

Wolf is still a fan favourite and would remind people that a new Star Fox is coming better than Fox and Falco would, considering so many people view Fox and Falco as "Smash characters" due to the Melee era.
Yeah, I just went back and saw it. My mistake.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let me give some more reasons has to why Wolf, would not have been chosen as promotional DLC, one thing is Wolf is not guaranteed or confirmed 100% to return in Zero, and no you can't argue you can't have a Star Fox game without Wolf, cause the original didn't have him. Also you can say, well there's that's Star Wolf mode thing, but thing is games have content that doesn't always make it into the final cut, so Wolf may not return in Zero, sure we've confirmation that Pigma returns, but that doesn't mean all of Star Wolf will, cause Assault did Pigma is more then wiling to work on his own.

Another reason that Sakurai probably knew Miyamoto was going to delay to who knows when, and don't say Sakurai wouldn't know if Miyamoto would delay it, need I remind you they've worked together for a long time, Sakurai probably knows Miyamoto and his Game Design habits very well. And seing as ho Sakurai wouldn't know when Zero would be delayed and no guarantee that Wolf would return he really couldn't be used to promote Zero.
I dunno,

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/18/confirmed-star-wolf-will-return-in-star-fox-zero/

He seems to be coming back. :p
That doesn't detract from my point though.

That, and I don't understand what Cat Mario has to do with anything.
It was a random example that I pulled out of no where.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Given my love for GS and how I would've LOVED more representation, I'm content with what we got in Sm4sh. Disappointed that it was only two songs and pissed that Isaac is nowhere to be found, true, but it's better to have SOMETHING than nothing, wouldn't you agree?
Something is better than nothing, but I have a hard time being content with GS only receiving one new song, two total. If Isaac isn't made playable, fine, that's one thing, and I've made my peace with that, but GS deserves more than two songs. It's a multi-million unit selling series... but you wouldn't be able to tell from how its treated in Smash.

Hell, I have a hard time being content with DK only getting two characters and one new stage.

But it's a lot easier to advertise the game with a new piece of content than reminding people existing, two-year old content everyone already owns can promote a game.

Character wise yeah Fox and Falco are better choices... but of what's left Wolf works fine, and as a vet and a popular request can exist as an addition past solely as a tool for marketing, which is more than can be said for Corrin's inclusion (not to say the character looks uninteresting).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The fact that Star Fox Zero was unreleased anywhere makes it a rather questionable argument for character promotion.

Hell, it's not even due for a few months...everywhere. Unlike Corrin, Wolf couldn't rely on the promotion argument that was specifically used in Corrin's case because Fates had already been out for about 5 months while Star Fox Zero was delayed, ironically, almost 5 months from it's mexican revolution November 20th release date.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Wolf has been confirmed as a main character in Zero. If his appearance in the first trailer isn't enough for you, a Platinum Games rep confirmed it as early as E3.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/18/confirmed-star-wolf-will-return-in-star-fox-zero/

D

Deleted member

I don't see how, he's still a character that appears in that specific title and represents that franchise, so him being a returning character or not doesn't really matter in the way that I see it.
Exactly. In the way you see it.

Nintendo as a whole (seeing as they were the ones who suggested Corrin to Sakurai) clearly doesn't see it that way.
When you hype up a yet to be released game, you use a character that specifically represents it and would not be considered otherwise.
Wolf fails to meet that description. He's got his former Smash fighter status shadowing everything else.
If anyone is going to properly promote Zero in Smash, it'd be someone who debuted in Zero or a pre-existing character that takes a lead role for the first time (i.e. make their debut as a lead). So even if Wolf didn't have his Smash status backing him (literally the only reason he'd even be considered for Smash at this point), unless he's a secondary protagonist to Fox or the lead antagonist, he'd still be a poor choice in promoting the game to where he's no better than Slippy or Peppy.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
He has been somewhat shown.

There he is. EyePatch and all.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Just set Fox's customs to Wolf, play the gray pallete swap and make him heavy with gear.

Boom.

:troll:

#insensitive

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fact that Star Fox Zero was unreleased anywhere makes it a rather questionable argument for character promotion.

Hell, it's not even due for a few months...everywhere. Unlike Corrin, Wolf couldn't rely on the promotion argument that was specifically used in Corrin's case because Fates had already been out for about 5 months while Star Fox Zero was delayed, ironically, almost 5 months from it's mexican revolution November 20th release date.
The difference is that Star Fox is a long running franchise with the same cast for the most part, while each new FE game may as well be a new IP.

A fan favourite character from Star Fox serves as a good advertisement just as much as a new character from a new game.

Wolf is gonna have some kind of redesign anyway so that could have been used in Smash too, as well as an SF Zero arrangement of his theme, like they included music from Fates for Corrin.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

first of all dont use a bad fake leak as a point or evidence as to why your argument makes sense.Second of all why wolf?.I mean if they wanted to advertise SF0 why not use Slippy or Peppy.Their both main characters,both are iconic nintendo characters espeically slippy who i say is more iconic than wolf.And both can have unique movesets.Wolf's not even the main bad guy of the game.If he wasn't a smash veteran we literally wouldn't be having this discussion.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I don't get the whole "Wolf should be in Smash to advertise SF0!" thing.

I mean, doesn't Wolf appear in like, 2 or 3 levels anyway (since SF0 is a re imagining of SF64)?

Not opposed to him being in the game at all, just wondering lol :p

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Exactly. In the way you see it.

Nintendo as a whole (seeing as they were the ones who suggested Corrin to Sakurai) clearly doesn't see it that way.
When you hype up a yet to be released game, you use a character that specifically represents it and would not be considered otherwise.
Wolf fails to meet that description. He's got his former Smash fighter status shadowing everything else.
If anyone is going to properly promote Zero in Smash, it'd be someone who debuted in Zero or a pre-existing character that takes a lead role for the first time (i.e. make their debut as a lead). So even if Wolf didn't have his Smash status backing him (literally the only reason he'd even be considered for Smash at this point), unless he's a secondary protagonist to Fox or the lead antagonist, he'd still be a poor choice in promoting the game to where he's no better than Slippy or Peppy.
That's hypocritical,

First off, Corrin wasn't suggested by Nintendo, Sakurai decided upon him after consulting a list of upcoming games with them,

And the way it's hypocritical is that your entire passage is an opinion yet you're giving me flak for my passage being an opinion...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't get the whole "Wolf should be in Smash to advertise SF0!" thing.

I mean, doesn't Wolf appear in like, 2 or 3 levels anyway (since SF0 is a re imagining of SF64)?
It's a re-imagining, not a remake.

He could easily appear in more levels. We have already seen Pigma take on a more prominent role.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
first of all dont use a bad fake leak as a point or evidence as to why your argument makes sense.Second of all why wolf?.I mean if they wanted to advertise SF0 why not use Slippy or Peppy.Their both main characters,both are iconic nintendo characters espeically slippy who i say is more iconic than wolf.And both can have unique movesets.Wolf's not even the main bad guy of the game.If he wasn't a smash veteran we literally wouldn't be having this discussion.
No, it was literally just something I used as a mockup, as I felt it did a better job at explaining then I ever could.
Sorry, I don't mean to go all, "Whoa me!" but I kinda feel like people on this thread like to gang up on me... Not trying to be a bummer but I just wanted to say something... :/ I mean come on guys, it's almost Christmas, can't we be a bit more festive? I dunno, that's just me I guess.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to be "That guy" but I just feel like you guys don't really tend to get along with me... I mean I'm sorry if I've done stuff, and if I have I deeply regret it, and I hope could all understand that I'm going through some rough times, as high school really isn't easy on me, so please, go easy on me if that's okay.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*opens youtube ink to add to music playlist*
*posted by youtube user "SonicBrawler182"*

well isnt that convenient :p

I swear the beginning is straight out of W101

pls likefavandsubscribe if ya liek mah stairfax vidya and check out mah other vids

D

Deleted member

...I honestly thought I'd ever see someone seriously going for peppy and SLIPPY for smash... And over wolf at that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom