• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder what games fell at exactly the right time to be considered for inclusiom. It couldn't have JUST been Fates, right? Xenoblade Chronicles X was just a tad too early, I guess.
What about a character in an already included franchise who got recognition outside of their base game, also too late for base game and (possibly) too early for DLC?

//glances at avatar

Chrono.

I wonder what games fell at exactly the right time to be considered for inclusiom. It couldn't have JUST been Fates, right? Xenoblade Chronicles X was just a tad too early, I guess.
I have a feeling X was at the right time as well, but they probably felt Corrin added more from a gameplay standpoint, I guess.

Hopefully Xenoblade doesn't fall into a limbo hole by Smash 5 >_>

Ivander

Smash Legend
To tell the truth…Going through the ratings board for each country/region was extremely difficult. In particular, Japan’s rating board was very strict on Bayonetta’s sexy antics, and there were many times where I thought “You’re not even going to let this through?”
Isn't it odd that we give heck on America for skin censorship and yet Sakurai talks so much of Japan giving him trouble with characters being sexy? Heck, apparently the reason for FE Fates being M rated in Japan was just because of "one scene" rather than the main fanservice people try to pin it on. And from the country "known for it's fanservice".
A website where people could vote for the characters they would like to see as playable fighters in Smash. Starting in April 2015 and ending in October of the same year, we collected approximately 1.8 million votes worldwide (after removing blatantly duplicated or repeated votes).
I wonder if we'll get at least some details about it rather than all of it. I mean, wasn't there something for Brawl in which a whole bunch of characters were mentioned by Sakurai from something?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1.8 million is more than ten percent of the Smash 4 install base, so that's pretty impressive considering how wide and varied Smash's audience is.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Christmas is almost here! Hope ya'll got your Santa hats!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People don't seem to relize that Fire Emblem is as popular as Pokemon (In Japan at least). So for Smash fans saying that Mario, and Pokemon deserve those reps, and Fire Emblem not deserving it is quite stupid to me. I think people seem to hate recent Popular things when they are too sudden (Like Undertale, and FNAF).
Do they have festivals in Japan where people run around dressed as Marth for an entire week? Or have planes that have Fire Emblem characters on them? Or have Fire Emblem merch shops called "Anna's Magnificent Store"?

If no, then FE is not NEAR as big as Pokémon is in Japan.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Character from a game that needed promotion
>Poor timing

You don't get it any worse than this guy. :smash:

D

Deleted member

The column is now translated!

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

My person favorite line?

"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."
So basically DLC was designated as the following:

Mewtwo
A popular Melee veteran from the remaining options (Roy)
A popular Brawl veteran from the remaining options (Lucas)
A character from a soon-to-be-released game (Corrin)
The top negotiable and realizable character from the Ballot (Bayonetta)
Two interesting and popular requests that aren't related to the above (Ryu and Cloud)

D

Deleted member

Another victim to bad timing (in regards to DLC anyway):

And I don't think Zael will have a chance of joining Smash 5's roster unless a miracle happens.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So basically DLC was designated as the following:

Mewtwo
A popular Melee veteran from the remaining options (Roy)
A popular Brawl veteran from the remaining options (Lucas)
A character from a soon-to-be-released game (Corrin)
The top negotiable and realizable character from the Ballot (Bayonetta)
Two interesting and popular requests that aren't related to the above (Ryu and Cloud)
Isn't Cloud technically ballot as well?

D

Deleted member

It did the first time, and it didn't help the second time.
I'm not counting Smash 4, since in hindsight, Dark Dawn didn't do Isaac any favors whatsoever.

But in Brawl, blaming the "timing" seems rather iffy.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

My person favorite line?

"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."
Once again, my opinion that Corrin is a "hate the sins, not the sinner" character continues to be reinforced.

And while I don't hate Bayonetta or her inclusion in Smash (I will be getting her and enjoying the crap out of her), the fact that Sakurai thought she was the most "realizable" of the character choices causes my internal BS radar to go ballistic.

Whatever the case, many thanks to PushDustIn PushDustIn and the rest of the Source Gaming staff for translating this article and showing it to us.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

My person favorite line?

I don't understand... Sakurai could've made any character fun...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, he's a long term kind of thing.

People have always wanted an FF character, and Cloud has always been a top choice for that Cloud VS Link dream.

Sakurai has never once related him to the ballot.

His case is more like Mega Man's or Pac-Man's.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Like seriously guys, this was literally the perfect opportunity to bring back Wolf, SFZ was in such a perfect position.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sorry guys, but I'm not really sure about how I feel about Sakurai's decisions... I wish he could go into somewhat more detail.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
You know who really got boned by being too early? This guy
The latest game he was in came out around February.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You wanna know a franchise that was screwed over worst than Splatoon.

The Wonderful 101. The timing for that franchise was the worst and everything about it was perfect for Smash Bros.

Bayonetta is great for Smash but Wonder Red and the content he could have brought would have been perfect

D

Deleted member

No.

He was the highest ranking Final Fantasy character on the ballot, but he wasn't picked as a result of the ballot itself like Bayonetta was.

Like seriously guys, this was literally the perfect opportunity to bring back Wolf, SFZ was in such a perfect position.
This comic was posted in the K. Rool thread, but I felt it'd be better to address it here.

Defer to this post.
I never did get this logic.
"Why Corrin and not someone for Star Fox Zero or Zelda Wii U?"

Who from Zelda Wii U? Link and Zelda, the two major characters that are practically confirmed as soon as a new game is announced, are already in Smash.
Regardless of whether or not Ganon/Ganondorf is going to have a presence, he's in Smash too.
So, what, throw in some random side character literally no one knows about at this point in time to advertise the game? Brilliant idea!

And for Star Fox, no one would really "advertise" for it.
"What about Wolf", you ask? He's been in Smash already. He wouldn't be advertisement for Zero, he'd just be a returning fan favorite.
So unless you people want someone like Slippy or a character original to Zero, don't use it as a counter.

Now Inklings would be a good example.....
.....if their Mii Costumes and Trophy weren't literally already used to promote the game before it released.
In the case of Fire Emblem Fates, there has been no promotion in Smash until now, and the game has only been released in Japan thus far. If Corrin was included to promote the game, it's to promote the overseas release, which won't be until around Corrin's DLC release.
Wolf is a horrible counter to the "advertise upcoming game" logic.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No.

He was the highest ranking Final Fantasy character on the ballot, but he wasn't picked as a result of the ballot itself like Bayonetta was.

I don't see how, he's still a character that appears in that specific title and represents that franchise, so him being a returning character or not doesn't really matter in the way that I see it.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You wanna know a franchise that was screwed over worst than Splatoon.

The Wonderful 101. The timing for that franchise was the worst and everything about it was perfect for Smash Bros.

Bayonetta is great for Smash but Wonder Red and the content he could have brought would have been perfect
Agreed, I got Wonderful 101 earlier this year on Club Nintendo. That game did not deserve to tank, at all. Wonder Red in Smash would be amazing. I'm actually upset we didn't get any Wonderful 101 Mii costumes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people are attributing "bad timing" to characters that even with perfect timing still just wouldn't have been included. Timing is never the only factor.

I'm not counting Smash 4, since in hindsight, Dark Dawn didn't do Isaac any favors whatsoever.

But in Brawl, blaming the "timing" seems rather iffy.
Not saying it's the only factor, but if GS's peak had happened at a time without competition so stiff, I can't imagine Isaac would have remained omitted. He had popularity, potential, and had just come off two highly successful games.

I'm also mixed about DD. Sure it could've turned out a lot more favourably, but it did keep the series afloat as opposed to nothing. However, all we got from DD was a single piece of music, so... it may have well not existed when it came to Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really when you look the DLC and the order it would appear on the CCS (if Wolf somehow returned.)
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta::wolf:
He would look rather odd considering the veterans are all placed up front.
Mind you, If the CSS was reorganised this wouldn't be an issue at all.:seuss:
The CSS looks weird anyway with the clones and the DLC ordered separately from the rest of their series.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Once again, my opinion that Corrin is a "hate the sins, not the sinner" character continues to be reinforced.

And while I don't hate Bayonetta or her inclusion in Smash (I will be getting her and enjoying the crap out of her), the fact that Sakurai thought she was the most "realizable" of the character choices causes my internal BS radar to go ballistic.

Whatever the case, many thanks to PushDustIn PushDustIn and the rest of the Source Gaming staff for translating this article and showing it to us.
I deserve 0 credit for this! This was 100% soma and the other translation staff. I was actually quite surprised when I woke up, I thought I had another week for the next Sakurai column so I didn't check before I went to sleep last night. Sorry for the delay!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nah, he was more of a character that was requested for years.

If Cloud were really from the ballot, they would've explicitly said so like they did with Bayonetta.
No, he's a long term kind of thing.

People have always wanted an FF character, and Cloud has always been a top choice for that Cloud VS Link dream.

Sakurai has never once related him to the ballot.

His case is more like Mega Man's or Pac-Man's.
No.

I see, I thought in the direct he mentioned Final Fantasy had a lot of characters requested in the ballot and in Famitsu he says FF has been requested for Smash as a whole. Maybe there was a translation error in the direct? Or did I hear wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom