• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm not letting the reviews ruin my fun with the game, but it just sucks seeing very petty stuff regardless of what the situation is
That shouldn't mean you should be upset about it.

You should laugh about it. That petty stuff should be something to shrug off.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm mainly bothered by reviews that can make people not interested in a good game even though it uses flawed reasoning.

Kotaku's review of Xenoblade X (lolkotaku) states that "The main story of Xenoblade X is not exactly meaty—it is only 12 missions long.", even though importers have stated that the story is about 60 hours long when rushing through it by skipping cutscenes etc.

Using "it's only 12 missions long" is a stupid way of tricking people that 12 missions is by definition short, even though those missions could be hours of playtime for all I know. For example, Mother 3 is 8 chapters long but chapter 6 is only 10 minutes of playtime.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I don't have a problem with people getting annoyed at bad reviews. I think it only becomes an issue when it becomes a controversy or an outrage.

I'm mainly bothered by reviews that can make people not interested in a good game even though it uses flawed reasoning.

Kotaku's review of Xenoblade X (lolkotaku) states that "The main story of Xenoblade X is not exactly meaty—it is only 12 missions long.", even though importers have stated that the story is about 60 hours long when rushing through it by skipping cutscenes etc.

Using "it's only 12 missions long" is a stupid way of tricking people that 12 missions is by definition short, even though those missions could be hours of playtime for all I know. For example, Mother 3 is 8 chapters long but chapter 6 is only 10 minutes of playtime.
There's this too. Don't mislead the audience.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Some people do care about review scores, though. I agree, review scores don't matter to me and I have yet to find any reviewer I will trust 100% (or really, to much of a degree at all) without feeling the need to try it out myself because experiences with all kinds of media, including games, can be so subjective, but not everyone feels that way, or reviews would not still be such a prominent form of writing.

It's been said before but I'll say it again: If you don't like the current topic of discussion in the thread, the best two solutions are to either A) leave and come back when the topic has changed, or B) ignore the current topic of discussion and start a different one. Asking people to change the subject has been proven time and again to be ineffective.
All I'm saying is like what you like and think what you think.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I see the Lost Levels as the last hurrah of the arcade-born mentality of "learning" the level attempt by attempt until you're able to master it; something that's only recently made its way back to the Mario series via final-level challenges. Say what one will about its difficulty, it's at least fair; hardly anything comes down to chance, and the game's rules and physics are both simple and consistent. In my opinion, any problems anyone has with Lost Levels come down to flawed preconceptions more than anything, much in the same way I have a hard time getting into the 2D Metroid games now.

That being said, I do think SMB2 is a great game, though I'd say they're pretty much incomparable as for which is the better sequel. I'm just glad we all ended up getting both!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The problem is no one can possibly try out everything.

People use review scores to know what to spend their money and time on. Hard to know whether you like something if you don't play it.
I suppose, but I'm moreorso talking about after when you've played the game and people start complaining about the scores. If you like it, then that's fine, other people don't have to but you can. I don't like Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, but I know that there are some (Albeit very few) people that like it, so that's beside the point. People have conflicting opinions. As for using review scores to buy something, yes I can see that working, I'd also suggest asking a friend or significant other about their thoughts on the game.

Chrono.

Mario today wouldn't be the same without SMB2 US.

It's particular gameplay hasn't been used again, but many of its elements have become staples in the series.

The recent 3D World in particular borrows a lot from it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I've already clocked in 16 hours into Yo-kai Watch, such an amazing game. I'm already at Watch Rank B. How far have you guys gotten? (if you bought it.)
I just beat Massiface. Gotta say, the bosses in this game are fantastic. About to go for Watch Rank B myself. I just have to take out one more Yo-kai.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

It's particular gameplay hasn't been used again, but many of its elements have become staples in the series.

I'd also like to add that Captain Toad TT seems to borrow even more from SMB2US, such as turnips and Shy Guys making appearances.

D

Deleted member

I see the Lost Levels as the last hurrah of the arcade-born mentality of "learning" the level attempt by attempt until you're able to master it; something that's only recently made its way back to the Mario series via final-level challenges. Say what one will about its difficulty, it's at least fair; hardly anything comes down to chance, and the game's rules and physics are both simple and consistent. In my opinion, any problems anyone has with Lost Levels come down to flawed preconceptions more than anything, much in the same way I have a hard time getting into the 2D Metroid games now.

That being said, I do think SMB2 is a great game, though I'd say they're pretty much incomparable as for which is the better sequel. I'm just glad we all ended up getting both!
Yeah, no
Lost Levels is anything but fair
Random invinsibe blocks, poison mushrooms, leaps of faith, etc make the levels too much luck based
"Learning" the levels wouldn't be a poblem if a game over didn't mean going back to the start

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

It's crazy to think if they didn't turn Doki Doki Panic into a Mario game for the US we wouldn't have Shy Guys, Bob-ombs, Pokeys, etc. in the Mario universe.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
SMB2 JP was kinda cheap in parts. It was fun when it didn't throw those annoying curveballs at you for no good reason.

Hated the game overall. I avoided every single pipes because some of them (even unsuspecting ones) lead me back to the beginning of the game. ughhhhh
Ok, that I'll give you, I forgot about those. The extra kicker is taking those still counts against a warpless run for getting to world 9.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Saying you don't give a 7 to perfection and saying that's why TW101 has a 7
Can't you see the contradiction here?
I was agreeing that you don't give a 7 to perfection, not that TW101 is perfect.

My point is, that's why it got a 7. Because it's not perfect. There's no contradiction here.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
You know...Simon Belmont in Smash is pretty much becoming as unlikely as say, Geno sadly
Simon Belmont is quite obviously never going to happen, but Geno is sort of on a tier of his own.

Geno's a third party character representing a series that's already got the most reps of any series in SSB4, is no longer used within that series, and has a ton of other more popular and recognizable characters that would (and should) take priority over him. The company that owns him also has a multitude of iconic games and characters that would likely be prioritized over Geno as well.

Simon's biggest issue is that he comes from Konami. There's basically no chance of him getting in over Snake, so his only shot would be if they were to pull a Capcom with them and give multiple Konami franchises representation.

All in all, there's more obstacles blocking Geno's entry than there are ones blocking Simon's. In fact, Geno has pretty much every problem Simon does, plus more.

Last edited:

Chrono.

You know...Simon Belmont in Smash is pretty much becoming as unlikely as say, Geno sadly
Eh I wouldn't go that far. At least Simon's a gaming icon, Geno is just a random character from a random RPG spin off.

Simon is the least likely out of Konami's iconic IPs though (idk if I'd put Frogger a peg above or below Simon, but I guess it doesn't matter)

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Um, I am curious. I've only played the first Bubsy. Should I play the 3D one? I'm just curious.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
This is a really awful "refute". Since when is a mass amount of water remotely central to the concept of pokemon games like boats in a Pirate story or space in a space opera?

People freaking out over the "too much water" criticism will never cease to amaze me, and it could be one of the finest examples of blind fanboyism. Seriously, of all the things to mock IGN for, people repeatedly bring up what was a completely legit criticism?
The plots of Ruby and Sapphire (and OR/AS by extension) actually do rely on there being a larger amount of water than normally.

I also believe in general that the "too much water" argument, while legitimate for the originals, is a load of crap for the remakes, because they made the water routes much easier and more interesting to traverse via the map on the bottom screen to show you where you are, more unique landmarks, and plenty of trainers who aren't just swimmers.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Now, you see, this is just wrong
Burb, I thought you knew better than this
It's not even the best Wii U game.

Um, I am curious. I've only played the first Bubsy. Should I play the 3D one? I'm just curious.
Are you familiar with its reputation? If not, I'm a bit stunned that someone could know about Bubsy 3D but not know that it's pretty unanimously considered one of the worst games of all time.

Unless you completely adore the character or enjoy playing bad games, you should probably avoid it.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
More likely as Belmont as Bomberman isn't dead
Last Castlevania game that featured Simon Belmont as playable was released in 2013.

Look at him, right on the cover there.

Last Bomberman game on a Nintendo system was Bomberman Blast on 2008.

I'd love either character, obviously.

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Geez, dude, do you really hate yourself that much?
Nah. I don't hate myself. I never played it. I just happened to find a game cart of the SNES version in the closet and then suddenly, curiosity just sprung up. Is it really as bad as they say?

D

Deleted member

It's not even the best Wii U game.

Are you familiar with its reputation? If not, I'm a bit stunned that someone could know about Bubsy 3D but not know that it's pretty unanimously considered one of the worst games of all time.

Unless you completely adore the character or enjoy playing bad games, you should probably avoid it.
I feel betrayed Burb
How could you say such things?
Nah. I don't hate myself. I never played it. I just happened to find a game cart of the SNES version in the closet and then suddenly, curiosity just sprung up. Is it really as bad as they say?
Imagin--
No, I'm just going to show you instead
Go to 11:50 and you'll see for yourself

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
God, Joel from Vinesause's Youtube account was hacked into, and things aren't looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom