• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Omega, the original got a 9.5/10 from IGN, and considering this is a remake of the original, the criticism makes no sense seeing how it's a recreation of the original. Not to mention their original review didn't have either of these criticisms.
Besides it being different reviewers like Kenith pointed out, people are fully liable to judge games differently over 10 years later, opinions and tastes change over time, and problems with games can become more apparent when revisiting them. So no, even if IGN was a single entity, an old review on the original not mentioning the water doesn't devalue the criticism of the remake now.

Chrono.

What is bad about the new Tennis game again?
There's just not a lot to do compared to the previous ones (except Open) it seems.

Anyways, amiibo Festival is just fine plus apparently it's f2p.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Besides it being different reviewers like Kenith pointed out, people are fully liable to judge games differently over 10 years later, opinions and tastes change over time, and problems with games can become more apparent when revisiting them. So no, even if IGN was a single entity, an old review on the original not mentioning the water doesn't devalue the criticism of the remake now.
Huh, I guess so, opinions do change over time so it actually wouldn't be suprising if it hasn't aged well at least in their opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 got very high scores when they released, due to the hype of the 3D Sonic.
I like those games, but they certainly didn't deserve the praise they got.

Also, the CDi Zelda games apparently got good reception back in the day.
Glorious King Harkinian and hilariously incompetent Link aside, there is literally nothing to like about these games now.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, no matter how much time has passed I still feel that way about them and still play em.

I think it says more about "reviews" that if a company dies off the scoring starts changing.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Your arguments aren't convincing me this isn't blind fanboyism. Since when is the "setting" of games immune to criticism, especially when it fully impacts the gameplay and limits the variety?
Could you please stop excuse me of blind fanboyism, when I'm saying the wording of what IGN said is what the problem is, and nothing else. I'm not saying ORAS is perfect, cause it isn't, at all.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mean, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 got very high scores when they released, due to the hype of the 3D Sonic.
I like those games, but they certainly didn't deserve the praise they got.

Also, the CDi Zelda games apparently got good reception back in the day.
Glorious King Harkinian and hilariously incompetent Link aside, there is literally nothing to like about these games now.
The SA games haven't particularly aged well, the audio and voice acting in particular.
Lol

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Could you please stop excuse me of blind fanboyism, when I'm saying the wording of what IGN said is what the problem is, and nothing else. I'm not saying ORAS is perfect, cause it isn't, at all.
Except you were trying to argue that "too much water" isn't a valid criticism, on some inane basis of "the setting can't be criticized". And if you want to argue wording now, "too much water" was in the summary section where they succinctly summarize the main pros and cons in a few words, where "too much water" perfectly describes the problem in the most concise manner.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
IGN's Explorers of sky review is where I just gave up on ever listening to review sites opinions.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What does this video have to do with your post...at all?
It's a joke video which somewhat references how the audio fequently cuts out in the game. The audio isn't very good actually, but I have a video that actually shows its problems in a nutshell. As a parody.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's a joke video which somewhat references how the audio fequently cuts out in the game. The audio isn't very good actually, but I have a video that actually shows its problems in a nutshell. As a parody.
Oh...nevermind then.
IGN's Explorers of sky review is where I just gave up on ever listening to review sites opinions.
Agree...
Independent reviewers are good though. I really like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthewmatosis

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
D

Deleted member

IGN died to me with the TW101 review
I almost bought Lost Word instead of it because I still listened to their reviews
Ended up only buying because of how cheap it was
No regrets from that day
But I can't believe IGN almost made me buy Sonic: Lost Franchise instead of 101% Perfection

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's been rushed out the door in an unpolished and incomplete state ala Sonic 06'.
That is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Sonic '06 was utterly broken. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was quite obviously rushed, but the game looks like it plays just fine. It's just lacking a lot of the features previous titles in the series had.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So in your opinions, what is the worst voice acting in a video game you've heard and why?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That's amazing! You should do a write up on the references to Fire Emblem in Smash. Game Theory said they had no idea where the references came from in one of their videos. I doubt that things were randomly thrown in, as Sakurai is a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series and nothing in Smash is done by accident!
Thing is, I only own two FE games, those being Radiant Dawn and Awakening, so I'm not too knowledgeable on the series overall.

An article covering pieces of this kind of trivia is something I've considered doing, though I'd need to organize things so it's not just a boring list of random trivia. Once I have more time, I might start gather info on these little things.

Chrono.

IGN died to me with the TW101 review
I almost bought Lost Word instead of it because I still listened to their reviews
Ended up only buying because of how cheap it was
No regrets from that day
But I can't believe IGN almost made me buy Sonic: Lost Franchise instead of 101% Perfection
What?

SLW got a 5/10 while TW101 got a 7/10 from IGN.

How did they convince you for the lower scored one?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thing is, I only own two FE games, those being Radiant Dawn and Awakening, so I'm not too knowledgeable on the series overall.

An article covering pieces of this kind of trivia is something I've considered doing, though I'd need to organize things so it's not just a boring list of random trivia. Once I have more time, I might start gather info on these little things.
I highly recommend using the Wii U eshop to get 7,8 and 11

I'm in a CastleVania mood but I need to finish Super Metroid and Wind Waker, not to mention I want some Indie games...Geh

D

Deleted member

What?

SLW got a 5/10 while TW101 got a 7/10 from IGN.

How did they convince you for the lower scored one?
I never read their SLW review
I only read the W101 one because it was a new IP and didn't know what to expect
It was more of a "do I buy this game? And if I don't, I can buy Sonic! Sonic can't be bad, right?"
Since it was cheap, I assumed I wouldn't regret it as much

Burb

The Absolute Worst
People are complaining about a 7/10 score? Just because it's not a 10 doesn't mean it's a bad score. It's closer to 10 than it is to 1.

I think 7 is a pretty fair score for TW101.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Sonic '06 was utterly broken. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was quite obviously rushed, but the game looks like it plays just fine. It's just lacking a lot of the features previous titles in the series had.
I wasn't actually trying to go for accuracy, I just found a game that was rushed and decided to compare it to another game that was rushed. It's that simple.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I highly recommend using the Wii U eshop to get 7,8 and 11
I don't have a Wii U, so that's not an option for me... yet.

(Still think it's lame for not existing GBA and DS titles for the 3DS... There must be understandable reasons, but it does leave a sour taste nonetheless.)

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Sorry for the late reply.

Not unlockables, but characters that are new to Mario Tennis and have never been in the series before.

Rosalina, Toadette, and Sprixie are completely new to the franchise and never been playable. Dry Bowser and Bowser Jr. have been playable in previous installments.

If you look on the website, characters completely new to the series have a glowing "new" by them when you pass over them. Because of the typo, people theorized that there were two more unlockables.

He wasn't joking that he wasn't a fan of Fallout 4, but it was obvious that he was exaggerating and using caricature to poke fun at the game. Calling it a "failure" wasn't supposed to be taken literally.

You could argue that it's a jerk move to just make a jab at certain games or not (I don't care either way), but it seemed obvious to me that it was just a jab.
I didn't see it that way, especially when that guy is always saying things like that. Like recently he was going on about how the Wii U is a terrible console with only 2 good games or something and seemed completely serious. So it really seems to me that he legitimately thinks those things and backtracks afterward.

D

Deleted member

People are complaining about a 7/10 score? Just because it's not a 10 doesn't mean it's a bad score. It's closer to 10 than it is to 1.

I think 7 is a pretty fair score for TW101.
Do you give perfection a 7?
The answer is: no, you don't

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Guys can we stop talking about review scores, what matters is that you play the game and that you enjoy it, not what some other person says about it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What's that? People gave a game a relatively decent score? Oh the utter horror for not giving it the 10 out of 10 it truly deserves. Truly critics are the scum of humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom