• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I mean....

3DS is the only successful handheld in this generation.

What do they expect it to be? A console game?
It's ironic: Sony has success in the home console market while Nintendo has it in the handheld market.

Their other respective consoles (Vita and Wii U) haven't done well at all.

And then there's Xbox One which does well overall outside of Japan, but barely exists there, doing even worse than the Vita and Wii U.

So, the only really successful consoles of this generation in terms of worldwide sales are the PS4 and 3DS. Even so, console sales (home or handhelds) were better in previous generations. Plenty of people moved to mobile gaming.

Even now, I see more often kids playing on cellphones than on handheld consoles. I don't think console gaming will die, though I feel they are becoming more of a niche market.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So many video game movies have been popping up recently.

Ace Attorney, Assassin's Creed, Warcraft, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank and now possibly Call of Duty.

I wonder what they could do for a Call of Duty movie?....
A generic war film

But with worse writing

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Important announcement: Lythero's Grandstanding For Glory 3 is h-
Lythero posted a new For Glory video.
Not usually a fan of videos like this but his editing is fantastic and I'd watch it just for that.
Oh...
WELL.
THAT IS OKAY. I HAVE THE GIFS.
What are you Looking at - Imgur.gif

The rest are in the YT description

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh wow. Based Capcom for improving the colors.

That's really so cool they decided to upgrade the visuals because I was one of the few people that didn't like the color use of SFV, now it looks so much better.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh wow. Based Capcom for improving the colors.

That's really so cool they decided to upgrade the visuals because I was one of the few people that didn't like the color use of SFV, now it looks so much better.
The changes here seem miniscule to me...
She does look more colorful in the second image but it seems like that's the stage's lighting.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
3DS has by far the biggest install base of any active system. If any new franchise has the chance to be successful on only one system, 3DS is it.

D

Deleted member

The changes here seem miniscule to me...
She does look more colorful in the second image but it seems like that's the stage's lighting.
Maybe it is just the level, but it makes the colors pop out and look much more primary than that other level. Her suit is so much more blue as is her hair is so much more yellow. Definitely don't feel it's minuscule.

There is another photo, but I can't post it here.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seems like Mario isn't a total grump in Brawl, after all. :p

He is less of a grump in Smash 3DS/Wii U, though.

Also, here's one more example of the Smash Bros. development team paying ample attention to detail: though Ike has the same design as Radiant Dawn in Smash 3DS/Wii U, there's actually one somewhat significant difference. His cape sports a symbol that may seem coming out of nowhere, but it's actually the emblem of the Greil Mercenaries. Said emblem is kind of obscure even in the Fire Emblem games Ike stars in but appears, for example, in Titania and Oscar's designs as a Gold Knight and Silver Knight respectively in Radiant Dawn.

This symbol can also be seen on his Brawl design, which is based on Path of Radiance but also adds this detail.

Similarly, Lucina's cape has the Mark of Naga inscribed on the cape, unlike Awakening. Her design is otherwise identical to her original design in Awakening. This symbol actually gets replaced on her alternate costumes themed after Tiki and Tharja. In the former, she has the artwork of Naga from Awakening, while on the latter she has a three-eye symbol commonly associated with Dark Mages and Grima, which also seen on Robin's outfit.

Marth and Roy also have emblems in their capes similar to Ike and Lucina, though I'm unsure if they're references to FE or not, but it's possible that they are, as they always have them throughout the Smash Bros. series.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe it is just the level, but it makes the colors pop out and look much more primary than that other level. Her suit is so much more blue as is her hair is so much more yellow. Definitely don't feel it's minuscule.

There is another photo, but I can't post it here.
Even if there is a difference, I think it's mostly the stage lighting.
I mean, Smash 4 stages have tons of different moods as well.

At least though, it could mean it's the stage that has bad colors and not the characters.
I'm more concerned about their faces/hair honestly...

(Why can't you post it?)

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Seems like Mario isn't a total grump in Brawl, after all. :p

He is less of a grump in Smash 3DS/Wii U, though.

Also, here's one more example of the Smash Bros. development team paying ample attention to detail: though Ike has the same design as Radiant Dawn in Smash 3DS/Wii U, there's actually one somewhat significant difference. His cape sports a symbol that may seem coming out of nowhere, but it's actually the emblem of the Greil Mercenaries. Said emblem is kind of obscure even in the Fire Emblem games Ike stars in but appears, for example, in Titania and Oscar's designs as a Gold Knight and Silver Knight respectively in Radiant Dawn.

This symbol can also be seen on his Brawl design, which is based on Path of Radiance but also adds this detail.

Similarly, Lucina's cape has the Mark of Naga inscribed on the cape, unlike Awakening. Her design is otherwise identical to her original design in Awakening. This symbol actually gets replaced on her alternate costumes themed after Tiki and Tharja. In the former, she has the artwork of Naga from Awakening, while on the latter she has a three-eye symbol commonly associated with Dark Mages and Grima, which also seen on Robin's outfit.

Marth and Roy also have emblems in their capes similar to Ike and Lucina, though I'm unsure if they're references to FE or not, but it's possible that they are, as they always have them throughout the Smash Bros. series.
That's amazing! You should do a write up on the references to Fire Emblem in Smash. Game Theory said they had no idea where the references came from in one of their videos. I doubt that things were randomly thrown in, as Sakurai is a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series and nothing in Smash is done by accident!

Strofirko

Smash Master
COD black ops 3 has washing machines on older generations instead of super computers.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I always did find the too much water, a stupid criticism, cause the Hoenn map clearly showed there was going to be a lot of water in the setting of the game. Its pretty much like criticising a Pirate story for having to many boats/ships and Space Operas for being in Space.

Now saying the overuse of HMs, now that is a valid complaint for Pokemon games, but complaining about a games setting is just stupid. We mocked IGN for the Too Much Water criticism, but just imagine the ridicule they would have gotten if they said Mass Effect, had to much Space, they wouldn't really be taken seriously by anyone anymore.
This is a really awful "refute". Since when is a mass amount of water remotely central to the concept of pokemon games like boats in a Pirate story or space in a space opera?

People freaking out over the "too much water" criticism will never cease to amaze me, and it could be one of the finest examples of blind fanboyism. Seriously, of all the things to mock IGN for, people repeatedly bring up what was a completely legit criticism?

Last edited:

Chrono.

This is a really awful "refute". Since when is a mass amount of water remotely central to the concept of pokemon games like boats in a Pirate story or space in a space opera?

People freaking out over the "too much water" criticism will never cease to amaze me, and it could be one of the finest examples of blind fanboyism. Seriously, of all the things to mock IGN for, people repeatedly bring up what was a completely legit criticism?
Not to mention "too much water" was one of the main criticisms R/S got back in the day.

That being said, thanks to the map on the screen below it is a lot easier to travel it this time around.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wish I had the money for a New 3DS so I could use her in Code Name Steam, but ah ain't got me none o' dat money.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

There is no blind fanboyism here, as it were. Stating that Hoenn as a region relays to much on HMs is a valid criticism, saying there is too much water isn't.

The way IGN worded the Too Much Water, is what is mocked, saying the overuse of having to use the surf HM, would've done better to get their point across, but they went with something that makes it seem they're criticising the setting of the game, instead of the uses of HMs.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
There is no blind fanboyism here, as it were. Stating the Hoenn as a region relays to much on HMs is a valid criticism, saying there is too much water isn't.

The way IGN worded the Too Much Water, is what is mocked, saying the overuse of having to use the surf HM, would've done better to get their point across, but they went with something that makes it seem they're criticising the setting of the game, instead of the uses off HMs.
Your arguments aren't convincing me this isn't blind fanboyism. Since when is the "setting" of games immune to criticism, especially when it fully impacts the gameplay and limits the variety?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Your arguments aren't convincing me this isn't blind fanboyism. Since when is the "setting" of games immune to criticism, especially when it fully impacts the gameplay and limits the variety?
Omega, the original got a 9.5/10 from IGN, and considering this is a remake of the original, the criticism makes no sense seeing how it's a recreation of the original. Not to mention their original review didn't have either of these criticisms.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There is no blind fanboyism here, as it were. Stating the Hoenn as a region relays to much on HMs is a valid criticism, saying there is too much water isn't.
But that's not the only issue.
There's an overload on Water-type in OR/AS too.

Saying "too much water" applies to both that and the overuse of the Surf HM as well, that's why they went with it.
Not to mention IGN explains in clear detail the exact problems with the game in their actual article.

Omega, the original got a 9.5/10 from IGN, and considering this is a remake of the original, the criticism makes no sense seeing how it's a recreation of the original. Not to mention their original review didn't have either of these criticisms.
Different reviewers.
Also, problems with the game become more annoying when not fixed in a remake.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is only 888 MB. Almost the smallest Wii U game lol.
At this point it boggles my mind why Camelot doesn't just delay the game so that they can make it a more polished and complete experience, rather then rushing it out the door in an unpolished and incomplete state.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
By the way, let's not buy Mario Tennis or Amiibo Festival so we can teach Nintendo not to rush out games for the holidays.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
By the way, let's not buy Mario Tennis or Amiibo Festival so we can teach Nintendo not to rush out games for the holidays.
Both of them look like snooze fests, the trailers literally almost put me to sleep. (Amiibo Festival in particular)

D

Deleted member

All that's gonna do is make them think Animal Crossing wont sell on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom