• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Smash's 3rd parties are fine. It's not like they've been adding randoms like Blinx or Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. So far all of them are either
  • Tied to Nintendo someway or another (Sonic, Megaman, Pac-man)
  • Iconic in the grand scheme of things (Cloud and Ryu, but all of them fit this really)
Bayonetta is the only real outlier (when it comes to being iconic anyway) and that's cause she won a contest (speaking of which).

The hardcore Smash fanbase has and always will be a massive hugbox, which is why they all make up these arbitrary rules for characters and why certain characters are popular and "the right choices". Ryu and Cloud had already messed with people's perception despite being rather obvious 3rd Party choices and it all came to a head with Bayonetta outright winning the Ballot (despite having "no support", allegedly).

As for Corrin? Yeah I think there was bias involved, but you have to consider that Fire Emblem is rising up the ranks right now. It's been getting a crazy amount of merch, a big profile spin off by Atlus and a trading card game. It's just in a much more favorable spot to market than Xenoblade (as much as it hurts me...) and as far as movesets go, Corrin is as unique as you can get.

All in all, this is still just DLC. As in Extra Content. The main roster still brought a lot to the table, from retro stars to current ones and I feel like people are being way too harsh on the whole game just because of the DLC.
I guess it's due to the sole fact that people feel like the roster is incomplete to them and don't have characters that interest them. Smash isn't the hugbox for fanbase. You just have fans of video game series that get really crazy, angry, annoying and even sometimes delusional about their character sometimes pretending they are bigger than what they are and that mostly hit to adds third party sometimes

It's why I said Smash Bros is the worst fanbase because it has multiple fanbases of series and game and attracts the other franchises around.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As far as third parties, this is how I see it.

They don't hurt the game. Their inclusion actually actively helps the game. There's no reason not to have them. Even the most Nintendo-purist speculators say the roster should be a "celebration of Nintendo's history." That being said, you can't achieve a full scope of their history if you ignore third parties. SEGA, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, and Square-Enix, as companies, all have close Nintendo ties, and the characters they have in the game do as well (you can call bull on Cloud all you like, but Final Fantasy as a series still has huge Nintendo ties, so why not pick the most popular character?).
Does this mean I can have Shrek and it be OK?????

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Greninja is one of the few actual anime characters on the roster since he is in an anime. :V
>few
And if by "FEW" you mean
(Technically) :4bayonetta:, :4bowser::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4ludwig::4mario::4luigi::4peach:, :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:, :4pacman:, :4dk::4diddy:, :4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario:, (Technically) :4palutena::4pit:, :4ganondorf: minus the Dorf, :4zelda::4link:, and if Subspace counts too, add everyone from Brawl excluding :toonlink:, :jigglypuff: and :wolf: (And there's probably others I'm forgetting)
Then yes, "Few". :4pacman:

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Saw this on Twitter. I think those of us that spent the last 2+ years in the Leaks Group can really appreciate this:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>few
And if by "FEW" you mean
(Technically) :4bayonetta:, :4bowser::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4ludwig::4mario::4luigi::4peach:, :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:, :4pacman:, :4dk::4diddy:, :4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario:, (Technically) :4palutena::4pit:, :4ganondorf: minus the Dorf, :4zelda::4link:, and if Subspace counts too, add everyone from Brawl excluding :toonlink:, :jigglypuff: and :wolf: (And there's probably others I'm forgetting)
Few relative to the entire roster.

I feel like you got some mixed up though. Donkey Kong was in an anime? Everyone from Brawl?

Besides that, there is also, :4sonic::4ryu::4megaman:.

D

Deleted member

TECHNICALLY, Greninja is one of the few actual anime characters on the roster since he is in an anime. :V
TECHNICALLY, there are no anime characters on the roster. There are, however, characters who appeared in anime at some point or another.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4link::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4marth::4falcon::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4bayonetta:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
>few
And if by "FEW" you mean
Every character in Smash is anime except :4fox::4falco::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4rob::4samus::4zss::4wiifit::4ness::4lucas:.

And Mac is more anime in design considering his Wii modern design is more cartoonish and his have the same features as all the other human characters that aren't the WFTs

Chrono.

@Solfiner you were right

Things got more disturbing

But wow, at the same thing, never been more interested in doing random sidequests. They do a really good job at fleshing out the world and the inhabitants.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TECHNICALLY, there are no anime characters on the roster. There are, however, characters who appeared in anime at some point or another.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4link::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4marth::4falcon::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4bayonetta:
If you starred in an anime, you are an anime character.

You don't have to originate from one to still be called one.

Like how Mickey Mouse can still be classified as a game character despite not originating from one.

What you said is like saying "you can't be an animator because you were a musician first. You are merely a musician who DECIDED to try animation".

MainJPW

M.T.A
If you starred in an anime, you are an anime character.

You don't have to originate from one to still be called one.

Like how Mickey Mouse can still be classified as a game character despite not originating from one.

What you said is like saying "you can't be an animator because you were a musician first. You are merely a musician who DECIDED to try animation".
By that logic Goku's a video game character as well.

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong was in an anime?
Yes, he was, and I have documented proof.

Don't even try to argue against me, this is one of the best animes out there. :p

I just couldn't resist, as usual. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
By that logic Goku's a video game character as well.
Indeed.

However, note how the Smash Ballot only ever said "only vote for characters who originated from a video game".

It's not saying characters outside of that criteria AREN'T video game characters, it's just saying they aren't wanted on the ballot.

I mean seriously, it'd be a huge injustice to say characters like Mickey Mouse and Goku aren't video game characters, considering they star in way more video games than the a lot of the characters in Smash do. Many of them being high quality and successful too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

.....isn't that just the DKC cartoon dubbed in Japanese.....?

*joke flies over head*

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Donkey Kong was in an anime?
Yes. Yes it was.
And if you don't remember it, you better stop and look 'er up.
Because that's what you do when you face an irresistable force.
And irresistable is what it is, baby.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You people hating on Bayo's legs?

Why do you hate attractive women? :awesome:

I'm a leg man and I'm proud.

Yes. Yes it was.
And if you don't remember it, you better stop and look 'er up.
Because that's what you do when you face an irresistable force.
And irresistable is what it is, baby.
Let it be reminded that I wrote up a parody of Leo Luster and I would have sung and put on youtube if K. Rool got in the game.
I'm both relieved and upset I don't have to do tthat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Burruni

Smash Hero
You're telling me, it's questionable...

...they didn't include Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., so of course it's questionable. :p Plug
Sorry, it said best new IPs.

Honestly, it just didn't grab me. Seemed like some of the worst parts of XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles with no characters I had much interest in.
Besides MECH SUIT ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
All Nintendo characters are and were inspired by anime

The character designers at Nintendo all grew up watching anime as kids or still watch it

Toon Link /Wind Waker art style was inspired by old Toei 60s anime films

Little Mac takes a lot of Inspiration from Ippo from Hajime no Ippo

Captain Falcon based off japanese toku heroes

Link design since ocarina was made to appeal to women who are into the bishounen genre

Inklings, Villager, etc all have big eyes and cutsey looking which something thats been prominent in anime since Tezuka made Astro Boy

Cynthia from Pokemon was Inspired by Maetel from Galaxy Express 999
Team Rocket was inspired by The Time Skeletons from Time Bokan
Looker was inspired by Inspector Zenigata from Lupin III

Even characters like Mario who took more inspiration from old cartoons like popeye have anime influence, the original artist for Mario was an animator who worked with Miyazaki

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm doing a Platinum Nuzlocke and it's going really well. Chimchar is such a good starter.

Also I think I'm back into Smash Wii U.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
BiTF lives...
Albiet just a medley, but still.
Awesome! It's nice to see something! I miss their comics, and so many great things could be made with how this roster turned out!

and I laughed at Santa Hat kirby saying he ate a mall Santa.

D

Deleted member

I'm doing a Platinum Nuzlocke and it's going really well. Chimchar is such a good starter.

Also I think I'm back into Smash Wii U.
>Chimchar
>Good
Choose one

EDIT: I just realized I have been pranked again
I have to say, purple is a natural fit for me
Something something Ridley

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It was pretty cool. They cut some stuff from the D23 trailer though so that's disappointing.

But some of the stuff was really cool. DDD looks awesome in HD. Yen Sid looks "unreal" in the Unreal Engine 4. And the KHIII portion makes the gameplay look really fun. Sora can apparently do homing attacks now. :4sonic:
Yeah, looks good. where is the circus scene from and the scene with the glass chamber with the animal heads from?
And I thought of Sonic right away to when I saw that. I kind of hoped they would show a new world but it was still cool to see!
Imagine if it ended with a black screen and this dialog:

???: Sora I am your father!

Instant profit right there!

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
>Chimchar
>Good
Choose one

EDIT: I just realized I have been pranked again
I have to say, purple is a natural fit for me
Something something Ridley
My Nuzlocke is a wedlocke atm. We'll battle when I'm done and I'll burn your team with Infernape :demon::evil::demon:

Providing it survives.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
BiTF lives...
Albiet just a medley, but still.

I'm sorry Kirbayonnaise
But this is icon material
Also
Silver and Gold + KrtDL was awesome
Who here remembers the Pickaxe guy from the Rudolph Movie
YEAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *jumps off cliff*

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Long time no see eh? My thoughts on the whole Corrinetta situation... :/ However on a brighter topic, I just saw the new Star Wars, and wow...
I'm in so much denial that Han dies...
It was such a great movie I can't even begin... But I don't want to go on too much, but it was probably one of the best movies I've seen in FOREVER!

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm actually satisfied Matt ended BitF when he did. Better to finish on a high note.

But that doesn't mean I still won't miss it. :(

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, looks good. where is the circus scene from and the scene with the glass chamber with the animal heads from?
And I thought of Sonic right away to when I saw that. I kind of hoped they would show a new world but it was still cool to see!
Imagine if it ended with a black screen and this dialog:

???: Sora I am your father!

Instant profit right there!
I wasn't expecting it to have any new worlds, since it was known to just be the D23 trailer they never showed us, and viewers confirmed there were no new worlds in it. They did still cut stuff though. The D23 version apparently had an extended version of the Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort conversation, as well as an "emotional scene" involving all of the important original KH protagonists, which I really wanted to see (LIL' ROSALIN-...I MEAN NAMINÉ in UE4 ;___;).

I wish they just gave us the full thing but what we got was decent. Not super hype but god the gameplay in KHIII looks so good.

Can't see the trailer, could someone describe it to me?
There are some spoilers for previous games so I will spoiler:

-Opens showing Yen Sid speaking to Mickey, Riku, and Kairi about the BBS trio and how they need to bring them back. Mickey mentions that he was in the Realm of Darkness recently and met Aqua there. This is the "KH 0.2" portion of KH 2.8.
-Moves on to the "KH Chi: Back Cover" portion, mostly has the Foretellers speaking about a possible traitor in their ranks. Shows a view of one of the environments that will be in the movie.
-Rest of the 2.8 portion is just DDD HD, pretty self-explanatory.
-The KHIII portion is mostly just more random gameplay in the Tangled and Hercules worlds but we see some new Shotlock-esque abilities, as well as some new enemies. We also see the Mysterious Tower and the new Attraction Flow based on the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Maybe it's just me but KH3 trailers are slowly becoming an exercise in monotony

It doesn't look bad but there's only so many times you can show the ten more seconds of game play before "Now in development" becomes a drag

Eh well, least it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom