• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can you explain this a bit further? It's an interesting thought.
She has those magical circles that appear when she jumps or shoots with her guns, the butterfly wings in the Double Jump, Madama Butterfly's shadow, getting roses when attacked, the fact that all 8 guns (alt included) have their seperate names like in Bayonetta's games AND the fact the alt apparently only speaks English in the Japanese version. Even then, there's the buttload of references in her reveal trailer, including her chain chomp attack from Bayonetta 2, a reference to her fight against Jubileus in Bayo1, Kamiya's 'ask your mom' quote and her 'don't **** with a witch' quote. I also hear her Final Smash is similar to a move she has in Anarchy Reigns
EDIT: I forgot about the blue aura becoming red when switched to the alt

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly the only Assist Trophy I'm almost sure will get promoted in the next game is Isabelle. The rest are much harder to say.
I'm doubtful on that, myself.
I'm sure she'd be seriously considered due to her popularity, but I doubt she'd actually make the jump. Same with Ashley.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Ehrmmm...It is not like I play too and have many hours on it or anything....Just an interesting opinion...
:emptysheep:
I'd play Heroes of The Storm more if my game didn't lag when playing it. I have to stick with only LoL because of that. :p

Last edited:

Poots

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty glad at bayo's model change tbh
her original designs fall pretty firmly in the uncanny valley. what are proportions
They did the same for Cloud.

I'm really happy with how smash has a consistent art style. I mean sure, it would be nice to have all characters look like their normal selves, but then we'd end up with the same problem as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal. Barely any of the characters looked like they belonged on any of the stages and some characters were just down-right weird to see standing next to others.

Shroob

Sup?
And @SmashChu, your theory falls a bit, for if Blizzard wasn't afraid of its own content, explain why there are soo many filler heroes?

Last time I checked, very popular Warcraft/Diablo/Starcraft characters were either held back or canned in favor of characters like Sgt.Morales, ETC, Stitches, Lunara. All these heroes are either generic units from their franchises, low level boss mobs, or made up entirely. Likewise, characters like Garrosh, Kel'Thuzad, Belial, etc were either constantly pushed back, or held off.

And don't even get me started on how poorly balanced that game can be. In that game's ranked mode, you have to have certain heroes, or you just fall flat on your face, and don't even get me started on how Blizzard has said in the past that they use win-rates as their primary method of balance, considering that it has bit them in the ass on more occasions than not.

.....and their micro-transaction system is god awful. More like Mega-Transactions amirite?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also, I think I just realized how Bayonetta got so many votes despite Bayonetta 2's sales! Because Smash 3DS is the best selling game in the franchise because of the 3DS' major success, especially compared to the Wii U! The voters wanted to be able to play as Bayonetta without getting a new console for a single game!

D

Deleted member

I take what I said before back; the only AT I can see making the jump is Takamaru. And that's because he was heavily considered as a playable fighter beforehand, only decided against for his lack of popularity.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people hating on Bayo's legs?

Why do you hate attractive women? :awesome:

I'm a leg man and I'm proud.

D

Deleted member

Isabelle is gonna be the only AT promoted mark my words

Also, Chugga is starting a new Let's Play series
All I have to say is: wow, what a coincidence! :4pacman:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Anyway I have an interesting topic!

Let's say Nintendo decides that after this Smash, they want to rework the game sort of and announce afree to play version of Smash Wii U and 3ds! As an incentive to play, all characters(DLC to) are included from the start. It also comes with two additional characters Inkling and wolf. However they need to be unlocked.

Since the game is free to play, you can only play for free about 5 matches a day in multiplayer, and one round in solo modes. You also can't access online without playing. Also while wolf and inkling are in, the game isn't made by Sakurai, but a 3rd party studio, so their moveset and "love" towards the character isn't as good. They are still playable but not as amazing as they could be.

You can also unlock other content such as costumes and more.

What would your reaction be? What do you think could be changed about the formula? Any other thoughts?

I know this would never happen, but I thought it be a very different and potentially interesting topic to bring up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Nothing wrong with that of course, it's just that she's too tall for us, we cower in fear as the mean lady stares at us from above, her heels don't help either

Also, Bayo's Final Smash: I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else say it, that looks scary as ****, that is a Final Smash I genuinely don't want to be on the receiving end of the line

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Bayonetta is too much woman for them. They want someone frail and cute.

:4peach: is for casuals

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
OHHHHH GOODNESS GOLLY GEE
OHHHHH DOO DOO DARN IT
UOOHHHHHHH
THE FED
YELLEN
ACTUALLY RAISED RATES
WOAAHHHH
WHAT'S GONNA HAPPENNNN
IS QE4 COMING????
LOTS OF LAYOFFS ARE COMING????
BIGGER RECESSION COMING????
PETER SCHIFF SAVE US
SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL
BUY GOLD BUY SILVER BUY PALLADIUM BUY PLATINUM

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've always had a thing for tall women.

I guess it helps that I'm also very tall.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
She has those magical circles that appear when she jumps or shoots with her guns, the butterfly wings in the Double Jump, Madama Butterfly's shadow, getting roses when attacked, the fact that all 8 guns (alt included) have their seperate names like in Bayonetta's games AND the fact the alt apparently only speaks English in the Japanese version. Even then, there's the buttload of references in her reveal trailer, including her chain chomp attack from Bayonetta 2, a reference to her fight against Jubileus in Bayo1, Kamiya's 'ask your mom' quote and her 'don't **** with a witch' quote. I also hear her Final Smash is similar to a move she has in Anarchy Reigns
EDIT: I forgot about the blue aura becoming red when switched to the alt
I see.

So all that detail is because Sakurai knew the fans voted her in?

Shroob

Sup?
OHHHHH GOODNESS GOLLY GEE
OHHHHH DOO DOO DARN IT
UOOHHHHHHH
THE FED
YELLEN
ACTUALLY RAISED RATES
WOAAHHHH
WHAT'S GONNA HAPPENNNN
IS QE4 COMING????
LOTS OF LAYOFFS ARE COMING????
BIGGER RECESSION COMING????
PETER SCHIFF SAVE US
SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL
BUY GOLD BUY SILVER BUY PALLADIUM BUY PLATINUM
Uhm, what are you talking about?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Uhm, what are you talking about?
Federal Reserve controls interest rates. In a sort of wibbily wobbly financial banking mystery kind of way.
Bubbles are created by artificially lowering interest rates.
Bubbles burst when people realize the stupidity of their investments that came on the drunken stupor of low interest rates.
Hello recession, hello poor sales, hello Quantitative Easing 4 and another lowering of the interest rates.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
When the ladies got longer legs than Waluigi, das TOO much leg.
Casual.

I've always had a thing for tall women.

I guess it helps that I'm also very tall.
Me too. Especially the older ones. Problem is that I'm 6'1. And I like it when the girl is taller than me.

And girls being taller than me hasn't happen since the 9th grade

Shroob

Sup?
Federal Reserve controls interest rates.
Bubbles are created by artificially lowering interest rates.
Bubbles burst when people realize the stupidity of their investments.
Hello recession, hello poor sales, hello Quantitative Easing 4 and another lowering of the interest rates.
Isn't the US already in a recession?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Isn't the US already in a recession?
It has been since 2008.
But, the supposed 'recovery' was just another round of drinks.
The next recession hangover will be much larger.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Smash's 3rd parties are fine. It's not like they've been adding randoms like Blinx or Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. So far all of them are either
  • Tied to Nintendo someway or another (Sonic, Megaman, Pac-man)
  • Iconic in the grand scheme of things (Cloud and Ryu, but all of them fit this really)
Bayonetta is the only real outlier (when it comes to being iconic anyway) and that's cause she won a contest (speaking of which).

The hardcore Smash fanbase has and always will be a massive hugbox, which is why they all make up these arbitrary rules for characters and why certain characters are popular and "the right choices". Ryu and Cloud had already messed with people's perception despite being rather obvious 3rd Party choices and it all came to a head with Bayonetta outright winning the Ballot (despite having "no support", allegedly).

As for Corrin? Yeah I think there was bias involved, but you have to consider that Fire Emblem is rising up the ranks right now. It's been getting a crazy amount of merch, a big profile spin off by Atlus and a trading card game. It's just in a much more favorable spot to market than Xenoblade (as much as it hurts me...) and as far as movesets go, Corrin is as unique as you can get.

All in all, this is still just DLC. As in Extra Content. The main roster still brought a lot to the table, from retro stars to current ones and I feel like people are being way too harsh on the whole game just because of the DLC.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I wasn't really expecting this much votes for this choice @_@.
upload_2015-12-18_21-18-16.png

Do you guys really see this as likely in actuality?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Because those 3rd party characters are fun and cool and appeal to a broader audience than nintendo only.
How many people who aren't interested in Nintendo or any of its IPs even own their consoles, let alone a copy of Smash? Considering most of the Wii U's strongest exclusives are made by Nintendo, the Wii U has by far the lowest third party support, and the 3DS has enough stuff to keep non-Nintendo fans occupied, I doubt there's too many potential Smash buyers who would be swayed by one character.

I do think the third party complaints are ridiculous and those characters deserve to be in Smash, but I'm not quite sure of this being a good reason to justify it.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's not like the entire roster is anime characters.

We still got :4littlemac: , :4greninja: , and :4villager:.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
1) Why does Super Smash Brothers have to have third party characters

Because then people would stop yelling for eternity about Sonic
Sad truth, but Truth
2)What is the issue with having only Nintendo characters (mind you, 64 and Melee only had Nintendo characters)?
Because by the time Smash 5 exists we'll have double the Pokemon, FE Characters and Retro Reps and almost nothing else because how slow Nintendo is with making new characters most of the time
Aside from me losing sleep every night knowing that I wouldn't be able to play as :4pacman:, nothing in particular
:4pacman:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If anyone is interested in seeing the new KH2.8/KH3 trailer I posted about yesterday, put this stream on in the background. It's a Square Enix conference of some sort (I think for Jump Festa), and there are a bunch of games being covered. They are on Star Ocean as of now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUjwqW4rqM

It's not like the entire roster is anime characters.

We still got :4littlemac: , :4greninja: , and :4villager:.
TECHNICALLY, Greninja is one of the few actual anime characters on the roster since he is in an anime. :V

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Smash's 3rd parties are fine. It's not like they've been adding randoms like Blinx or Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. So far all of them are either
  • Tied to Nintendo someway or another (Sonic, Megaman, Pac-man)
  • Iconic in the grand scheme of things (Cloud and Ryu, but all of them fit this really)
Bayonetta is the only real outlier (when it comes to being iconic anyway) and that's cause she won a contest (speaking of which).

The hardcore Smash fanbase has and always will be a massive hugbox, which is why they all make up these arbitrary rules for characters and why certain characters are popular and "the right choices". Ryu and Cloud had already messed with people's perception despite being rather obvious 3rd Party choices and it all came to a head with Bayonetta outright winning the Ballot (despite having "no support", allegedly).

As for Corrin? Yeah I think there was bias involved, but you have to consider that Fire Emblem is rising up the ranks right now. It's been getting a crazy amount of merch, a big profile spin off by Atlus and a trading card game. It's just in a much more favorable spot to market than Xenoblade (as much as it hurts me...) and as far as movesets go, Corrin is as unique as you can get.

All in all, this is still just DLC. As in Extra Content. The main roster still brought a lot to the table, from retro stars to current ones and I feel like people are being way too harsh on the whole game just because of the DLC.
I mean with Bayo, there are two other things.

1) Games made by platinum play super unique and aren't really made like that by others. Which is a plus for bayo as her game is exactly that, a big action game, not like most.

2) In the past few years her ties with Nintendo have strengthened due to all they did to promote her. So she is tied to them as a 3rd party they want to see live on, even if that's different then Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man.

I think those two things should be considered when decided if she fits or not, more so the second reason.
I wasn't really expecting this much votes for this choice @_@.
View attachment 88361
Do you guys really see this as likely in actuality?
I think it could very well happen and would make a lot of sense.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as third parties, this is how I see it.

They don't hurt the game. Their inclusion actually actively helps the game. There's no reason not to have them. Even the most Nintendo-purist speculators say the roster should be a "celebration of Nintendo's history." That being said, you can't achieve a full scope of their history if you ignore third parties. SEGA, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, and Square-Enix, as companies, all have close Nintendo ties, and the characters they have in the game do as well (you can call bull on Cloud all you like, but Final Fantasy as a series still has huge Nintendo ties, so why not pick the most popular character?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom