• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This discussion reminds me of something, does anyone besides @Conn0rrr remember the support thread for Sakurai's cat? :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can think of another dog character that bites, headbutts, and tackles that could get in if an Assist Trophy was promoted...

View attachment 88298
If the the zelda reps didn't need to be important to the series as a whole, I would love wolf link in. I'm still surprised we don't have impa. She's in like every zelda game nowadays!
This discussion reminds me of something, does anyone besides @Conn0rrr remember the support thread for Sakurai's cat? :p
That turned out to not even be his cat lol.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I just faced JustAlex in FG and in the 2nd match there was mysterious lag in our match, thus making JustAlex SD himself and leave me. I mean that moment when a Smash youtuber leaves you .

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, its a fan rule.

A fan rule that I hope gets broken next time...
If we ever get another Zelda character, I am 99.9% certain it will be one who breaks that rule.
Because it's a silly rule.

I think Skull Kid and Midna are alot more likely than Impa.
Hell, even Tingle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think I have an idea who might be a logical choice after Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt. Let's see...

Mr. Game & Watch reps the Game & Watch games.
R.O.B. reps the NES Robot peripheral and games.
Duck Hunt reps the NES Zapper peripheral and games.

How about someone who represents the NES Power Pad peripheral and games?

No, really... I think this could be feasible... even "realizable". It is not like Nintendo forgot about the NES Power Pad. Check this out.

See? Reggie playing with the NES Power Pad in 2015. :awesome:

Anyway, the game that came bundled with the NES Power Pad is World Class Track Meet. It was also bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.

The character who represents the NES Power Pad could be named "Track Meet". He looks like your generic track & field athlete except he is always on the NES Power Pad. He stands on it. He runs in place on it and it moves along the ground. It disappears when he jumps and reappears when he lands. It floats like a flying carpet as a recovery special move. He might even have a "jumping over hurdles" special move where a hurdle pops out of thin air and he jumps over it... and the hurdle sticks around for a while to block projectiles and forces opponents to jump over it (it won't let them pass). I imagine he would be a fast character with jumping prowess due to the fact he is an Olympic-level runner who competes in long jumps and hurdle jumps.

Please take note at the bottom of the 3-in-1 box art... see the three symbols and what they represent.

Action Series for Super Mario Bros.
Light Gun Series for Duck Hunt.
Sports Series for World Class Track Meet.

Now, where have we seen the "Sports Series" symbol before?

We still do not have a character who represents those NES sports games. Those games were also represented in NES Remix games so it is not like Nintendo completely forgot about them. Track Meet could possibly represent both the NES Power Pad games AND the Sports Series games. Track Meet could possibly use tennis rackets, baseball bats, and golf clubs in his normal moveset in addition to his NES Power Pad special moves.

He might even use a special move or two from the other NES Power Pad game, Short Order + Eggsplode.

Oh, yeah! In the world of Smash Bros., the NES Power Pad is some sort of advanced technology that transports Track Meet around when he runs in place on it and makes sports equipment, hurdles, and bombs appear out of thin air for him to use!

And you have a recipe for a quirky retro character. :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:

In conclusion, Track Meet for Smash 5!
World Class Track Meet is not a Nintendo game.
Nor does the game have the same kind of sales figure that Duck Hunt did.

NEXT.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Huh? Assist Trophy promotions?

Waluigi
Isabelle
Tingle
Takamaru
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Lyn
Magnus
Dillon
Ashley
Saki
Isaac
Skull Kid and/or Midna

Those are the ones I think are possible. Nintendogs, maybe, but they are real actual dogs and not super cartoony ones like Duck Hunt.

D

Deleted member

I'm not banking on any Assist Trophy promotions.

Little Mac was clearly a special case with the post-Brawl game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Also..

Turns out the Ballot wasn't a suggestion box. Sure, it was, in a way (voted characters will likely be in mind during future Smash development) but it was primarily to put the top winner into Smash.

Sorry if this is late, but every single debate had "IT'S A SUGGESTION BOX".

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Also..

Turns out the Ballot wasn't a suggestion box. Sure, it was, in a way (voted characters will likely be in mind during future Smash development) but it was primarily to put the top winner into Smash.

Yup, I said as much on the live reaction. There was "a winner," as well, according to Sakurai.

Chrono.

Also..

To think we were all ragging on GameXplain for saying ballot winner in every other video :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Hmm.

I'd say Little Mac, at least him specifically was still considered "relevant" as he had a game on Wii and his design is based off that, unlike his assist trophy in Brawl that was based off his original design. He also had Doc Louis's Punch Out which was relevant to Club Nintendo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the only Assist Trophy I'm almost sure will get promoted in the next game is Isabelle. The rest are much harder to say.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hm, I don't remember Sakurai ever saying anything about that...
Yeah, but let's be honest, that's probably would have had someone like midna or girihiam by now. I honestly think that is an unspoken rule, which of course could be broken, but I doubt it will.
This is pretty fantastic.

That's because Sakurai had to find ways to cut all of them to get him.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Huh? Assist Trophy promotions?

Waluigi
Isabelle
Tingle
Takamaru
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Lyn
Magnus
Dillon
Ashley
Saki
Isaac
Skull Kid and/or Midna

Those are the ones I think are possible. Nintendogs, maybe, but they are real actual dogs and not super cartoony ones like Duck Hunt.
I'm not banking on any Assist Trophy promotions.

Little Mac was clearly a special case with the post-Brawl game.
If other characters pulled a Little Mac I'd say Ashley, Isabelle and Takamaru are the most likely, Takamaru lost the only reason Sakurai had against him and Ashley was given the Rosalina treatment alongside Isabelle
I think there's a certain character that went right over your HEDGE (you get it, like head but not)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I see Isabelle ending up being another Chrom/Ridley type of character, where Sakurai acknowledges her popularity, but doesn't think she'd fit well in the game.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Assist trophy promotions?

As of now I feel Isabelle is the one with the brightest future for Smash 5.
If a new The Mysterious Murasame Castle is made in the near future, Takamaru will also join Isabelle for sure

Chrono.

I feel like Isabelle would be a support type character if she were playable.

Low power, buff your allies/debuff your opponents...

I'm not sure how well this would translate in a game like Smash though.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I will not give up on the idea of a playable Ridley until he is officialy disconfirmed in the next Smash. Which he will be, but still.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
well after a few days of just dealing with the disappointment of the direct (sakurai you never fail to disappoint) i've grown to be more fond of corrin, being a dragon and using water as an element, but 6 fire emblem characters, more than the zelda franchise? that's just an insult to the zelda series. and bayonetta is a character i wish never came to smash. although had sakurai also given wolf and king k rool, i would care less about bayonetta. well smash 4 specualtion is over now. watch as people will create fake leaks when corrin and bayo are released in feb. now we wait for smash 5...

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Also..

yea i was hoping that was the case. burb kept saying it was a suggestion box, but it wasn't. now that just makes me angry. just wish king k rool and wolf made it in too...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I feel like Isabelle would be a support type character if she were playable.

Low power, buff your allies/debuff your opponents...

I'm not sure how well this would translate in a game like Smash though.
But it'll work great for that Nintendo Amiibo based MOBA that will never happen. Which is probably a good thing, as it would take over my life.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
yea i was hoping that was the case. burb kept saying it was a suggestion box, but it wasn't. now that just makes me angry. just wish king k rool and wolf made it in too...
We all wish our wants get in. I'm one of the biggest Paper Mario supporters, and I'm still sad.

However, the fact is is that Bayonetta got the most Ballot votes overall out of all negotiatible characters. So she deserves it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
well after a few days of just dealing with the disappointment of the direct (sakurai you never fail to disappoint) i've grown to be more fond of corrin, being a dragon and using water as an element, but 6 fire emblem characters, more than the zelda franchise? that's just an insult to the zelda series. and bayonetta is a character i wish never came to smash. although had sakurai also given wolf and king k rool, i would care less about bayonetta. well smash 4 specualtion is over now. watch as people will create fake leaks when corrin and bayo are released in feb. now we wait for smash 5...
Characters aren't the only thing that goes into representation. People don't seem to get this.

The Legend of Zelda has five characters, five stages on Wii U, countless trophies, multiple Assist Trophies, tons of items, and Smash Run enemies out the wazoo. And a ton of music, too. This is also a series where the main characters stay consistent throughout the series.

Fire Emblem has six characters, two stages, the bare minimum trophies (playable cast+Chrom+Lyn), one Assist Trophy, no items, nothing in Smash Run. The series also has a different cast in each game.

I'd argue that Zelda's more fully represented.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So here is something interesting.

@StarForce noticed a discrepancy in terms of the trophy count mentioned on the presentation and in the game.

Here is the thread link: http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...-dlc-trophy-or-miscount.426228/#post-20617285

Something to note is that OP added a second FS trophy for Ryu on the list. Since he doesn't have one on the Wii U version, removing this gives a consistent discrepancy on trophy count of one between both versions, potentially meaning there will be at least another trophy added at some point in the future before, during or after the Corrin and Bayonetta update, assuming they drop at the same time.

Thoughts on what it could be? Maybe just a counting error?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
An unspoken rule...
Just like the rule that all-third parties need to be iconic.:4bayonetta:
To be fair, being the most requested character worldwide is something that you can't really compare
It's not an insult to the Zelda series as if you remove the characters, Zelda has so much more content than fe

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm really digging Cloud. I'm finding him super fun and easy to use. His aerials are so satisfying.

Midgar is fun too.

Man I wish there was a stage hazard switch...

Upgraded midna, dark samus, or takamaru would be awesome.

I dont care about the rest :p

As for likeliness it's too early to say. Who knows who will and wont make an appearance in a sequel at this point. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom