• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna try picking up a character in Smash. For no real reason.
Gimme a character to play. :4luigi:
:4pit:because why be really good at something when you can be pretty good at everything
:4shulk:because having your entire kit being your nair can and neutral special isn't always terrible
:4feroy:because he is our boy
:4samus:because you want to have the least fun you could possibly have.
:4robinf:IDK lol he/she is fun.
I don't think I'd ever imagined seeing hentei on the Disney Channel, are they suddenly going in a new direction or something? :troll:
They allowed Cory in the House.

And ask Mariotehplumber all anime is hentai.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Recolors aren't anything new in RPGs
I may not like YW but the only reason the recolors are being brought up is because Pokemon doesn't have them
Shinies, Shadow Pokemon, rare colors, certain groups of pokemon that are extremely similar (Plusle/Minun, Landarus/Thundarus/skydarus? , that butterfly with different wing patterns, the bear with different swirls, etc)...
They exist. They're just being ignored.

The criticism is that it's treated as a different Yokai all together. A shiny Aggron will still be recognized as an Aggron and not Tempertain or something, whereas in YW, a blue Jibanyan is considered a different Yokai all together
Do they have difference that affect gameplay? Or are they literally just recolors.

I mean if fusing a yokai of a dead pig (lets call it TonTon: PigPig) with a camp fire makes it a Hi-Ton: fire pig.....that seems something silly to complain about.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That...doesn't exactly make it much better, really. Like, you're telling me that these two
consist of a base form and a fusion with another Yokai? Then why does it just change the color of the first one instead of getting more of the appearance of the other one it fused with?
They both are respectably called Snotsolong and Duchoo, I don't know much of the reasonings behind the color swaps not involved with fusion, I'll have to go look it up. I mean there will be those Yo-kai that feel "padded", but 4/5 of the Yo-kai are original Yo-kai designs with original stories and motives.

It's not much of a major problem IMO, more of minor nitpick than anything that doesn't hurt the overall game you're buying. If most of the Yo-kai were recolors, then I would probably complain for a monster collecting RPG.

Ok I'll give you the fusion thing but

I think the laziness is definitely still somewhat present because.

There's still literally OVER 30 Jibanyan expys.

Pretty much all of these are just recolors or Jibanyan in a different hat.

And this isn't even all of them.

I've looked through the list and while there's some designs I like (and a lot I really really don't), the fact that in two games Yokai Watch has amassed more Jiban-clones than Pokemon has gotten Pikaclones in 20 years has immediately put me off of the games more than anything. So far Pokemon's not devolved to the point of straight up recolors for "different" monsters in 20 years but Yokai Watch did it in the first two games.

If they're dipping into recolors already, I can't see their creativity having the same longevity as the Pokemon team's has. I can't see YW lasting nearly as long for that reason alone, if nothing else.
Believe or not, some of those Jibanyan clones are really popular versions of the characters. The ore and fruit versions are popular amongst merchandise. The creativity is still holding strong in YW3, as most of the designs are American based, leaving more opportunities to Yo-kai design.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 Do you remember the episode where the main characters have a sleepover and when Nate's parents are asleep they start watching hentei?
It's the Signibble episode, the sixth episode.
It's not hentai, it's just an adult show consisting of the NyaKB showing more daring clothing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Again. They aren't being treated as different pokemon all together unlike the Yokai, THAT'S where the criticism is coming from
Shinies, Shadow Pokemon, rare colors, certain groups of pokemon that are extremely similar (Plusle/Minun, Landarus/Thundarus/skydarus? , that butterfly with different wing patterns, the bear with different swirls, etc)...
Also, at least the Kami trio aren't literally recolours but have different features making their designs more distinct, you can easily tell them apart, some of the Yokai are Jibanyan wearing a hat

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah but most of these aren't being billed as different species.

(Though The Unova Weather trio were straight up lazy... until their 2nd forms).

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Again. They aren't being treated as different pokemon all together unlike the Yokai, THAT'S where the criticism is coming from
I edited my post to rely to you before you posted. It's relevant to this post as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Y'all don't know true recoloring than what Atlus always did with Jack Frost.

How many variants, flavors (yes, that's what they are called) and demons related to him

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mega Mewtwo Y and X, and the other various forms of Mega are considered different in the sense they have different names. You could say Mega Mewtwo is nothing more than merely an edit of Mewtwo as a new Pokemon.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4pit:

So, you too, can be ridiculously average.
:4lucario::4mewtwo::4pit:
+Pit
:4pit:because why be really good at something when you can be pretty good at everything
:4shulk:because having your entire kit being your nair can and neutral special isn't always terrible
:4robinf:IDK lol she is fun.
:4darkpit::4lucario::4shulk::4robinf::4samus::4mewtwo::4feroy::4pit:
+A second Pit, already-frequently used Monado, Used-to-play-in-Brawl Crawl Man, MUH BOI and Reflet
:4robinf: currently has my attention
Mainly because I love her robe
It's sooo awesome... Embarrass

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I wish I could mention something that just came up related to SFV but I probably shouldn't mention it due to the usual arguments it would make.

I haven't gotten Yo-kai Watch yet. But I'll definitely get it in the Christmas season though. Also when does that big pink pig Yokai seen in the opening and the ending appear in the anime?

D

Deleted member

Shinies, shadow Pokemon, Spinda patterns and Vivillon patterns are treated as the same tho
I can take Plusle and Minum
But the Cloud or whatever trio have their alternate forms at least

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
:4robinf:IDK lol he/she is fun.

They allowed Cory in the House.

And ask Mariotehplumber all anime is hentai.
We're not supposed to speak about him because he's apparently a banned user here.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Do they have difference that affect gameplay? Or are they literally just recolors.

I mean if fusing a yokai of a dead pig (lets call it TonTon: PigPig) with a camp fire makes it a Hi-Ton: fire pig.....that seems something silly to complain about.
Some of them do, some the different versions of Yo-kai are in different classes an have different stat differences and abilities to make noticeably different from their counterpart.

I wish I could mention something that just came up related to SFV but I probably shouldn't mention it due to the usual arguments it would make.

I haven't gotten Yo-kai Watch yet. But I'll definitely get it in the Christmas season though. Also when does that big pink pig Yokai seen in the opening and the ending appear in the anime?
Yes he does, he appears in episode 15.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Mega Mewtwo Y and X, and the other various forms of Mega are considered different in the sense they have different names. You could say Mega Mewtwo is nothing more than merely an edit of Mewtwo as a new Pokemon.
*Insert Cornered theme and Wright gif*
HOWEVER...The designs are vastly different so it's impossible to mix the designs up, not to mention it's easy remembering which version is which, the more masculine version is X whereas the feminine version is Y, they slightly resemble the letters so a biology teacher won't be foaming at the mouth with 'muh chromosomes'

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Is it the R. Mika thing? We already discussed it.

I just found out they nerfed the hell out of Ryu though holy

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Some of them do, some the different versions of Yo-kai are in different classes an have different stat differences and abilities to make noticeably different from their counterpart.

Yes he does, he appears in episode 15.
So seven more episodes I have to wait for in Northern Mexico.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Shinies, shadow Pokemon, Spinda patterns and Vivillon patterns are treated as the same tho
I can take Plusle and Minum
But the Cloud or whatever trio have their alternate forms at least
Yeah, but is there a reason not to give Yokai separate spaces?

[in response to one of my earlier qustions about differences in the recolors]
See this is what I was looking for. As long as there's notable differences, there's no reason to complain.
That's like complaining about semi-clones having spots on the smash rost-

......oh.
I forgot where I was

Soul.

I wanna try picking up a character in Smash. For no real reason.
Gimme a character to play. :4luigi:
Sheik maybe, there's no reason to not play her Kappa.

Okay actually how many characters do you use?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'll just seek myself out of the argument now, because I want to play more Yo-kai Watch. :S
I've been arguing long enough about minor nitpicks that'll probably not hurt the overall game experience.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but is there a reason not to give Yokai separate spaces?

[in response to one of my earlier qustions about differences in the recolors]

See this is what I was looking for. As long as there's notable differences, there's no reason to complain.
That's like complaining about semi-clones having spots on the smash rost-

......oh.
I forgot where I was
Well, when you want someone to treat them as different Yokais, it does matter
Again, it's nothing new to RPGs
And I can even understand sometimes if they are more than just a palette swap

On another subject, since we were talking about Sonic OST earlier, why don't we do it with general gaming now?
Totally not an excuse to fanboy over obscure games I like

D

Deleted member

*Insert Cornered theme and Wright gif*
HOWEVER...The designs are vastly different so it's impossible to mix the designs up, not to mention it's easy remembering which version is which, the more masculine version is X whereas the feminine version is Y, they slightly resemble the letters so a biology teacher won't be foaming at the mouth with 'muh chromosomes'
Actually, as far as the designs of Yokai watch go, there are Mega Pokemon that are quite similar to the less creative ones.

Charizard

Absol

There are others, but for now using these, it seems Pokemon has alternate forms of the same thing. They may be a Mega of a previous design, but in the same sense they are almost exactly the same as the Yokai Watch fusion thing as it's a modification which leads to a different but similar entity.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Sheik maybe, there's no reason to not play her Kappa.

Okay actually how many characters do you use?
Mostly :4feroy:, :4shulk: and :4kirby: for everything else
And :4pacman: for ****s and giggles

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Actually, as far as the designs of Yokai watch go, there are Mega Pokemon that are quite similar to the less creative ones.

Charizard

Absol

There are others, but for now using these, it seems Pokemon has alternate forms of the same thing. They may be a Mega of a previous design, but in the same sense they are almost exactly the same as the Yokai Watch fusion thing as it's a modification which leads to a different but similar entity.
However, the design is different enough, not to mention it's still classified as the same Pokemon

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Well, when you want someone to treat them as different Yokais, it does matter
Again, it's nothing new to RPGs
And I can even understand sometimes if they are more than just a palette swap

On another subject, since we were talking about Sonic OST earlier, why don't we do it with general gaming now?
Totally not an excuse to fanboy over obscure games I like
It doesnt matter to me because that's like complaining about the existence of sub category of real life animals. Sure they have some major similarities, but there's enough difference to make a separation.

It's like African vs European swallows...

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Lythero posted a new For Glory video.
Not usually a fan of videos like this but his editing is fantastic and I'd watch it just for that.

D

Deleted member

However, the design is different enough, not to mention it's still classified as the same Pokemon
Actually, it's classified as a new thing. It's no longer Charizard, it's Mega Charizard X, it has it's own abilities, stats and typing.

And I mean, in a sense, it gives you more to work with in Yokai watch. In Pokemon they have a similar system called Shiny, where as in Yokai it actually changes how the design plays being more then merely just cosmetics. Whichever is your preference is up to to the user, but this isn't any less creative, it's merely more options.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I'm trying to change the subject here to a music one
And if suggesting the subject won't work then I'll have to start it myself
And don't make ME fanboy over the-game-you-should-be-playing-right-now

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually, Gligar13vids is probably the worst of the worst, he calls a ton of things people like bad (Except for the Shin Megami Tensi series for whatever reason, which is weird as it's totally not up his alley) all for attention and is a complete troll about it. (I'd share some stuff about Chris Chan but I don't know if his stuff is against site policy or not)

D

Deleted member

Leffen, which one is that, Gligar13vids, or Chris Chan?
Very talented Smash Bros. Melee player who got banned on Smashboards a long time ago due to evidence.zip. He is mentioned sometimes in articles these days.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Actually, it's classified as a new thing. It's no longer Charizard, it's Mega Charizard X, it has it's own abilities, stats and typing.

And I mean, in a sense, it gives you more to work with in Yokai watch. In Pokemon they have a similar system called Shiny, where as in Yokai it actually changes how the design plays being more then merely just cosmetics. Whichever is your preference is up to to the user, but this isn't any less creative, it's merely more options.
Mega Charizard is still Charizard though. However, the problem with recolours is that people prefer different designs

Chrono.

Heh.

Early on in Mario 3D World I ran into a bonus level called Mystery House Melee.

Now I'm in one of the post-game Worlds and I ran into Mystery House Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom