• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

OBJECT-NYAN!

The reason some of those Yo-kai have similar palette swaps is because of Yo-kai Fusion. Yo-kai Fusion is a feature that lets you combine two Yo-kai to make a more powerful Yo-kai. The very Yo-kai you just listed is the result of a Yo-kai Synthesis, which you combine the legendary blade item with Chansin to get Sheen.

Check out the website for yourself, it literally shows it.
http://yo-kai.nintendo.com/gameplay/

It's not that Level-5 is lazy, it's just the result of fusing Yo-kai. There's more understandable reasons behind it than anything.
Eh

Doesn't really excuse some of the lazy redesigns imo.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But I wasn't joking from before, there's an episode where the main characters have a sleepover and watch hentei once their parents are asleep.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yokai Fusion seems to me like if you used a Sun Stone on a Petilil and it just gave you a Shiny Petilil instead of Lilligant.

just saying

wildvine47

Smash Ace

OBJECT-NYAN!

The reason some of those Yo-kai have similar palette swaps is because of Yo-kai Fusion. Yo-kai Fusion is a feature that lets you combine two Yo-kai to make a more powerful Yo-kai. The very Yo-kai you just listed is the result of a Yo-kai Synthesis, which you combine the legendary blade item with Chansin to get Sheen.

Check out the website for yourself, it literally shows it.
http://yo-kai.nintendo.com/gameplay/

It's not that Level-5 is lazy, it's just the result of fusing Yo-kai. There's more understandable reasons behind it than anything.
Ok I'll give you the fusion thing but

I think the laziness is definitely still somewhat present because.

There's still literally OVER 30 Jibanyan expys.

Pretty much all of these are just recolors or Jibanyan in a different hat.

And this isn't even all of them.

I've looked through the list and while there's one out of every hundred designs I like (and a lot I really really don't), the fact that in two games Yokai Watch has amassed more Jiban-clones than Pokemon has gotten Pikaclones in 20 years has immediately put me off of the games more than anything. So far Pokemon's not devolved to the point of straight up recolors for "different" monsters in 20 years but Yokai Watch did it in the first two games.

If they're dipping into recolors already, I can't see their creativity having the same longevity as the Pokemon team's has. I can't see YW lasting nearly as long for that reason alone, if nothing else.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Here's my problem with this. Blockbuster couldn't adapt to the market, Game Freak has adapted every time they needed to
Make no mistake. I agree that they've done very well adapting so far. But I'm not going to assume that will always be the case.

Still, I also think you're underestimating the success of Pokemon. Yes, franchises will die, but that's because either they stop selling, or the company goes bankrupt. And I highly doubt the two are going to happen anytime soon, nor will Yokai Watch of all things be the final nail in Pikachu's coffin.
Nothing is too big to fail. Things can be too big to fail soon, but they're not too *** to fail.
Things also die due to markets taste changing, companies being bought out, over-saturation of similar products,being replaced, copyrights running out, etc

I don't know why you added the part about that not happening soon or it not being the final nail in the coffin. I mean I've pretty much said the same thing since my original post
Now I doubt it will happen, especially not right at launch.
But I wouldnt rule it out in the future.
I mean I've agreed on that point already...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I wanna try picking up a character in Smash. For no real reason.
Gimme a character to play. :4luigi:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ok I'll give you the fusion thing but

I think the laziness is definitely still somewhat present because.

There's still literally OVER 30 Jibanyan expys.

Pretty much all of these are just recolors or Jibanyan in a different hat.

And this isn't even all of them.

I've looked through the list and while there's some designs I like (and a lot I really really don't), the fact that in two games Yokai Watch has amassed more Jiban-clones than Pokemon has gotten Pikaclones in 20 years has immediately put me off of the games more than anything. So far Pokemon's not devolved to the point of straight up recolors for "different" monsters in 20 years but Yokai Watch did it in the first two games.

If they're dipping into recolors already, I can't see their creativity having the same longevity as the Pokemon team's has. I can't see YW lasting nearly as long for that reason alone, if nothing else.
You realize he's the franchise mascot right?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
jibanyan is best compared with agumon....because **** that dude has a lot of recolors

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Nothing is too big to fail. Things can be too big to fail soon, but they're not too *** to fail.
Things also die due to markets taste changing, companies being bought out, over-saturation of similar products,being replaced, copyrights running out, etc

I don't know why you added the part about that not happening soon or it not being the final nail in the coffin. I mean I've pretty much said the same thing since my original post

I mean I've agreed on that point already...
Oh sure. But what I can also argue is it's never sudden. People aren't just about to instantly drop Pokemon and leave. Even if Pokemon will fail, it's going to be over a long period of time.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
@Fumi-Chan Do you remember the episode where the main characters have a sleepover and when Nate's parents are asleep they start watching hentei?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
@Fumi-Chan
Even ignoring in-game reasoning, the designs are still the same.

That's basically all it takes.
I have no interest in Yokai, but I dont think that makes it a valid complaint unless it also applies to pokemon.
Pokemon has shinies and other rare colors (like that red gyarados) .
Why is it a point against Yokai?
Because you can manually do it?
Because there's more than one or two colors?
Because it actually has an effect?

I legit don't get the complaint...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still going to get the game. Probably eshop because I got $20 free bucks on it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't play Zelda, you'll lose 100% of the time.
I've won 8 player matches with Zelda. And Mewtwo, but more often with Zelda
@Fumi-Chan Do you remember the episode where the main characters have a sleepover and when Nate's parents are asleep they start watching hentei?
...Please don't have **** in hole-nyan's debut...

Pokemon is much bigger.
We have pikachu, the mascot.

Then we have his evolutionary line which are stil pretty varied but not much.

Then we have the other electric rodents. Which are all far more varied than then the many cats.

And all these rodents debut in completely different games. These Jibanyan expies all are from one game.

The series with more games has far less and more varied expies.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So is Pikachu?

We don't have like 30+ Pikachu clones running around. We have like maybe one a Generation, so like... 5?

And don't even say Cosplay Pikachu, because it's still a Pikachu. It's not a completely different monster with its own spot in the Kalos Dex.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Recolors aren't anything new in RPGs
I may not like YW but the only reason the recolors are being brought up is because Pokemon doesn't have them

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Oh sure. But what I can also argue is it's never sudden. People aren't just about to instantly drop Pokemon and leave. Even if Pokemon will fail, it's going to be over a long period of time.
Maybe I'm tired and over thinking things but....I mean it's not really an argument when you're saying the same thing as the other person. It's more of a reiteration.

Anyway from what I gather neither of us believe Pokemon is going anywhere soon, but the main difference is how much of a threat Yokai is. You think it's around 0% and I think it's about 0.1% with the chance of growing over time.

Is that about right?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Pokemon is much bigger.
We have pikachu, the mascot.

Then we have his evolutionary line which are stil pretty varied but not much.

Then we have the other electric rodents. Which are all far more varied than then the many cats.

And all these rodents debut in completely different games. These Jibanyan expies all are from one game.

The series with more games has far less and more varied expies.
So is Pikachu?

We don't have like 30+ Pikachu clones running around. We have like maybe one a Generation, so like... 5?

And don't even say Cosplay Pikachu, because it's still a Pikachu. It's not a completely different monster with its own spot in the Kalos Dex.
I guess in the end it's coming from a different mindset and whatnot. But your points are taken.

D

Deleted member

It seems to me people don't recognize what bonus forms are.

Having recolorish designs gives a bit more personalization.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Maybe I'm tired and over thinking things but....I mean it's not really an argument when you're saying the same thing as the other person. It's more of a reiteration.

Anyway from what I gather neither of us believe Pokemon is going anywhere soon, but the main difference is how much of a threat Yokai is. You think it's around 0% and I think it's about 0.1% with the chance of growing over time.

Is that about right?
Basically that.
At this point I think it's best for us respectfully disagree. This isn't going anywhere and the two of us aren't going to change opinions anytime soon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have no interest in Yokai, but I dont think that makes it a valid complaint unless it also applies to pokemon.
Pokemon has shinies and other rare colors (like that red gyarados) .
Why is it a point against Yokai?
Because you can manually do it?
Because there's more than one or two colors?
Because it actually has an effect?

I legit don't get the complaint...
The criticism is that it's treated as a different Yokai all together. A shiny Aggron will still be recognized as an Aggron and not Tempertain or something, whereas in YW, a blue Jibanyan is considered a different Yokai all together

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4mewtwo:
But is it really Mootoo? :4charizard:
:4mewtwo::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4tlink:
+Zelda of every variety
Don't play Zelda, you'll lose 100% of the time.
Oh
:4mewtwo:
-Zelda of every variety
:4lucario::4mewtwo:

CUE THE MEWTWO VS LUCARIO DEBATES *shot*
- - - - -
Any other suggestions? :4luigi:
- - - - -
Having recolorish designs gives a bit more personalization.
I feel as if people who've even touched Smash would know this is an amazing thing
Shoutouts especially to :4kirby: :4metaknight: :4gaw: :4bowserjr: :4ryu: (Insert every FE rep here) and (Insert the **** ton of Pokemon here)
Especially with Pokemon, even outside Smash
I love shiny Gardevoir simply because I love the Blue + Orange + Black scheme. :4pacman:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think I'd ever imagined seeing hentei on the Disney Channel, are they suddenly going in a new direction or something? :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, recolors are an RPG generic thing. Although I suppose its quite neat Pokemon didn't really go into that route aside from shiny's and certain other Pokemon. Although instead it had a few Pokemon that more or less just grew another head or two instead such as Dugtrio and Magneton. At least this was the case in the first gen.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
I know he's the mascot.

Pikachu is Pokemon's mascot, but you don't see 30 Pikachus per game billed as different Pokemon because they slapped a fruity coat of paint on him or gave him a polygonal look for five different gemstones.

Even when they have Pikachu expies, they're at least attempts to look somewhat different (Pachirisu, Dedenne), or not billed as different Pokemon (the Cosplay-chus).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom