• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Yokai Watch will do that well in NA and PAL regions because well...

It's too Japanese.

It's built upon Japan's folklore and culture. A lot of elements that make it cool in Japan don't translate well over here. Pokemon had that problem too but it also made an effort to be more neutral, especially as the series went on.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If YW could topple Pokemon's current state of sales in JP, I wouldn't deny the possibility that YW could gain more popularity over time in the West over Pokemon's current state of sales in the West.

Unlike Digimon, there's so many appealing things that YW has to offer from its manga, engrossing anime, catchy music, addicting games, and flashy merchandise. (All of them having their fair share of high success in Japan) It's basically an interconnected, multimedia franchise. I've already witnessed/played 4/5 of the pieces of media YW had to offer and all of them really appeal to children and adults and does a far better job at doing that than Digimon could.

The people who are localizing YW are already doing their hard job to get the games and anime appealing to a Western audience and the merchandise is already looking extremely promising. (The Yo-kai Watch toy has already sold out in the online Hasbro store just recently) Western children who watched or played YW are already hooked dancing to the Yo-kai exercise. There's still going to be high marketing going in the upcoming too for everyone in the West to get to know the IP and become interested in YW. And to be fair, if we're asking for really Japanese IPs, Okami, Muramasa Blade, and many others come to mind. YW doesn't go that far in terms of its Japanese culture.

I highly recommend you at least take part of the some of the media, you will understand why. It really seems like most of you just judge the book by its cover.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I look at this whole YW situation like this:
Is it going to be big? Yes.
Is it going to replace Pokemon? No.

Say what you want, but as long as there's an audience for Pokemon, it's going to stay around. Yokai Watch isn't going to usurp it and make it obsolete.
It goes back to the whole "Yokai Watch is not a Pokemon clone" idea. With that logic, than both should be able to coexist going their own ways.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, the holidays are coming up. Couldn't be a better time for Yokai Watch to prove itself outside of Japan.

I don't know how well it'll do, though.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I look at this whole YW situation like this:
Is it going to be big? Yes.
Is it going to replace Pokemon? No.

Say what you want, but as long as there's an audience for Pokemon, it's going to stay around. Yokai Watch isn't going to usurp it and make it obsolete.
It goes back to the whole "Yokai Watch is not a Pokemon clone" idea. With that logic, than both should be able to coexist going their own ways.
At the same time, you guys shouldn't ignore Yo-kai Watch and use Pokemon as an excuse to miss out on an IP that could potentially appeal to you greatly.

Chrono.

Eh, it's not like YK will replace Pokemon or something. They can coexist.

Plus, YK's only real similarity with Pokemon is that you around collecting monsters. That's it.

By that logic we might as well be calling Pokemon a Shin Megami Tensei ripoff.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
At the same time, you guys shouldn't ignore Yo-kai Watch and use Pokemon as an excuse to miss out on an IP that could potentially appeal to you greatly.
...But that's not what I'm arguing. If anything, all I'm saying is "One isn't going to take over the other."; where'd you get the rest of that from my post?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I showed a friend Yokai Watch recently actually, she didn't like the look of it. Don't personally know anyone in the country who's interested
I was only mocking people who think Pokemon will be beaten. In reality, looking at YW, it's not my cup of tea, something Pokemon gets better is more good-looking designs imo, though I haven't seen all Yokai

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The gameplay and designs just don't really appeal to me. It all just seems kind of...I'm not sure of the word. Not as much "generic" as...almost phoned in, in a way. Something's just off-putting about it to me.

I don't think it will catch on in the US nearly as much as in Japan. Now I'm not claiming to be a market analyst, this is just based on some of the things I've been seeing.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
...But that's not what I'm arguing. If anything, all I'm saying is "One isn't going to take over the other."; where'd you get the rest of that from my post?
I agree with the point you made as well. I just wanted to bring up something in addition.

I was only mocking people who think Pokemon will be beaten. In reality, looking at YW, it's not my cup of tea, something Pokemon gets better is more good-looking designs imo, though I haven't seen all Yokai
That's probably because you've been conformed to Pokemon longer.

Chrono.

The gameplay and designs just don't really appeal to me. It all just seems kind of...I'm not sure of the word. Not as much "generic" as...almost phoned in, in a way. Something's just off-putting about it to me.

I don't think it will catch on in the US nearly as much as in Japan. Now I'm not claiming to be a market analyst, this is just based on some of the things I've been seeing.
And that's pretty much my opinion on it.

Though keep in mind that I've always liked Digimon's designs more ("edgy", over-the-top and the like), which is why I like some of the more ridiculous "over-designed" Pokemon as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I agree with the point you made as well. I just wanted to bring up something in addition.

That's probably because you've been conformed to Pokemon longer.
Nope. First time I saw Pokmon: 'Ooh, that looks cool!'
First time seeing YW: 'That looks...Odd...'
Not to mention from what little I've seen, Gen I pokemon are more welldesigned than the Yokai, including stuff like Sandshrew

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I may as well say one thought I had.

The reason that Digimon and Pokemon became as big as they did were because there was a monster for everyone.

You want a cute one. Here ya go!
Want a cool one! Right here!
Scary perhaps? There.

The Yokais all look adorable and that's not a bad thing. I just think it won't let it appeal to everyone.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let me tell you of a reason I disliked Yokai Watch when I tried the demo. Besides the mechanics.

The designs, good lord the designs. They're too Japanese. I'll gladly say a Pokemon looks bad, but at least there's dozens more to look at. Here? A lot of things look very off to me. And in some cases...

...I'm borderline disgusted.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I will never be able to take this song seriously.

Apparently people love it but the chanting will only make this song laughable to me. (well it's pretty good now that I seriously listen to it too >_>)
inb5 5 video limit
HEeughHeughHEUGHHEUGHheugh
...Anyways, have you heard the US version of Stardust Speedway Bad Future?
I like it better than the JP version, it's really good.

My favorite Sonic OST is Colors.
With Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog a close second.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Why does yokai watch have to beat pokemon?Cant they just coexist.I mean besides the whole monster thing the way they play and handle their anime is entirely different.I can totally see yokai-watch being popular over here.Especially with little kids who at the end of day are the main demographic.Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges it just doesnt work

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think what matters the most is whether or not the Yo-kai themselves can appeal to a Western audience, and based on the reactions with the Western children and many older fans, I think it will appeal greatly. Most who played the games (critics and other people alike) often forgot about the "too Japanese" culture and have been hooked immediately to the game's concept.
(I have researched a lot on YW in the west recently, trust me)

I may as well say one thought I had.

The reason that Digimon and Pokemon became as big as they did were because there was a monster for everyone.

You want a cute one. Here ya go!
Want a cool one! Right here!
Scary perhaps? There.

The Yokais all look adorable and that's not a bad thing. I just think it won't let it appeal to everyone.
There are a bunch of bad-ass looking Yo-kai designs in the game, not all of them have the cute designs.
I already seen all 200+ Yo-kai in the Yo-kai Land app (which you can download in the App Store and there's a good wealth of "cool" designs YW offers.
I can show you some if you like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

YW's battle system is my main problem with it
If I, at this age can't understand what I'm supposed to do in an RPG but little 10 years old me with barely no english knowledge can pick up Pokemon and beat Red, there is just something wrong with it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think what matters the most is whether or not the Yo-kai themselves can appeal to a Western audience, and based on the reactions with the Western children and many older fans, I think it will appeal greatly. Most who played the games (critics and other people alike) often forgot about the "too Japanese" culture and have been hooked immediately to the game's concept.
(I have researched a lot on YW in the west recently, trust me)

There are a bunch of bad-*** looking Yo-kai designs in the game, not all of them have the cute designs.
I already seen all 200+ Yo-kai in the Yo-kai Land app (which you can download in the App Store and there's a good wealth of "cool" designs YW offers.
I can show you some if you like.
Yes. Show me if the designs aren't just goofy

Soul.

I realize Yo-Kai Watch is a success in Japan and all, but honestly it's not going to be replacing the second best selling franchise ever (Pokémon).

Not to say Yo-Kai is bad but the moment an RPG has Pokémon vibes people immediately go on and say "this franchise will be the next Pokémon, or it will outsell Pokémon!" but it's too early to tell. But right now I cannot see Yo-Kai Watch being on the same level of success that Pokémon has.

I'd say just let it co-exist alongside Pokémon and put the debates into a trash can or something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well my two cents in regards to the whole Yokai Watch thing.

Considering it managed to do so well in Japan and doing pretty alright in the West too along with Nintendo themselves heavily pushing for this series more than even some of their own IP's (RIP Chibi Robo, Wonderful 101 etc).....

I can see it having a good future assuming Level-5 and Nintendo play their cards right. As much as I hate to admit it. Level-5 did pump the Professor Layton series out a little too much to the point that some of the later games quality suffered a little in the long run. Hence forcing them put the series on hiatus until further notice.

From what I've seen, the games seem to have a high influence on Japanese culture so if they can localize it so it can appeal to western audiences, it would probably help it well in the long run. It may also depend on how much this game gets compared to Pokemon and wether or not these comparisons are in good or bad light.....

Overall, I think the game will probably do pretty well from what I've seen of it as Nintendo seems to have put a lot of faith into it as well as making sure its getting marketed well (From what I've heard and seen at least) so it may have a decent future ahead of it outside Japan. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't know how well it would do in comparison to Pokemon though, that's something that might remain to be seen by giving it a year or two or something..... Overall I think it may be for the best to let the two series co exist imo.

Just my two cents I guess.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Let me tell you of a reason I disliked Yokai Watch when I tried the demo. Besides the mechanics.

The designs, good lord the designs. They're too Japanese. I'll gladly say a Pokemon looks bad, but at least there's dozens more to look at. Here? A lot of things look very off to me. And in some cases...

Brings new meaning to the phrase "butt monkey".

...that is supposed to be a monkey, right?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
YW's battle system is my main problem with it
If I, at this age can't understand what I'm supposed to do in an RPG but little 10 years old me with barely no english knowledge can pick up Pokemon and beat Red, there is just something wrong with it
Honestly, I find it to be too simple. Like, 80% percent of it is automated while you remain the supporter (and most of that is items, the special attacks, and the items that float by). It doesn't feel like you're part of the action nor it's you pulling the team through.

AreJay25

Well, if it means anything, YW has a 77 on Metacritic. Not too shabby.

The question is whether or not that'll reflect on its sales.

D

Deleted member

Give me a scary Oniguma, and I'll give a slight bit of interest.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I really haven't seen anyone say Yo-kai watch was ever going to replace Pokémon. I see more people saying it is a clone then people saying it was going to kill anything. Pokemon isn't even dead in Japan. And Yo-kai watch had two sequel games and a spin-off over there.

Why is YW not going to succeed that much in the US? I honestly feel it has more to do with a lack of spotlight. Despite it having quite a bit of trailers and commercials, there was never a reason to look at it. You wouldn't see it as something that was huge in Japan based on all the trailers, commercials, and how Nintendo talks about it, it just looks like just another game. If there was like a Nintendo Direct that even just had a spot for it, it would've been able to be highlighted more. Point out directly all the cool things about it.

I'm seeing the topic of designs brought up.

I have yet to even see this Yo-kai in my game. Honestly, I thought the same to at first. I was just kinda collecting Yo-kai randomly and messing around with them.

Honestly, I started getting attached to a lot of them. There was some really interesting design. Combined with the fact that their personalities and abilities actually fit into the stories and side quests, and I'm constantly wanting to see the next new Yo-kai to see what they are like. What they do. How they fit into this world. Like, I hated TattleTale when I first saw her. But when I saw her in action and in the episode that featured her in the anime, she's actually a pretty cool Yo-kai.

I mean, the mascot Yo-kai, Jibunya, is also pretty cool. His backstory is actually kinda sad. Especially in the anime.

Maybe I'm too western or not enough of a girly girl, but cute designs don't work well for me. I prefer cool things over cuteness most of the times, though seeing some customers make me think 'Damn, they're cuties'
I honestly haven't seen too many purely cutesy designs yet. I mean, they exist, but I also seen a lot of tougher looking Yo-kai. Granted, there aren't many bad*** yokai that I've seen yet.

I think people should realize that the best part about Yo-kai watch is the big picture. The lore, the world, the personalities of all the characters. Seeing what the next chapter holds. Seeing how all the sidequests are handled. It's pretty cool. Not something I recommend to everyone sure, but it is something people should look into.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It'd be a lot easier to buy healthy foods and eat them instead of junk if stores didn't carry rotten fruits and vegetables.

AreJay25

It'd be a lot easier to buy healthy foods and eat them instead of junk if stores didn't carry rotten fruits and vegetables.
This is pretty much me right now.

Every time I get some apples, some of them are already bruised up and it's annoying.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used to love lime and lemon water

But now I used the chemically stuff because stores only have bad limes/ lemons

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon is kinda popular with adults, but yokai watch is kinda strictly a kid thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom