• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Kyubi looks more like Renamon to me. Apart from that they look okay. Not much else to it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
From the Yo-kai Wiki:

Venoct:
'he is Youmakai's elite that uses his dragon scarf made from his aura to attack. And the power he has is top class.

Kyubi:
'This Fox yokai is one of the strongest out of every yokai. He can easily make a volcano erupt.'

Komashura:
A legendary version of Komasan with the heart of a warrior. It can call upon the fires of hell and incinerate enemies with 10,000° flames.

Komane (Japanese: ししコマ Shishikoma) is a stronger evolution of Komasan who's notably different from him, though he remains a nomad. Not only has his power increased, but he's gained a noble spirit and fearless outlook. He's truly a reliable Yo-kai.

Beetler:
In the Yo-kai Dictionary it states, 'If Beetler bashes baddies in a bevy of brutal battles, the result will be a big-bodied Beetall.'

Sheen:
'A Yo-kai swordsman who returned to the way of the sword when a legendary blade reignited his spirit.'

Some of these Yo-kai have more interesting backstories and situations than most Pokemon, that's coming from me who watched the all of the subbed episodes of YW.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
From the Yo-kai Wiki:

Venoct:
'he is Youmakai's elite that uses his dragon scarf made from his aura to attack. And the power he has is top class.

Kyubi:
'This Fox yokai is one of the strongest out of every yokai. He can easily make a volcano erupt.'

Komashura:
A legendary version of Komasan with the heart of a warrior. It can call upon the fires of hell and incinerate enemies with 10,000° flames.

Komane (Japanese: ししコマ Shishikoma) is a stronger evolution of Komasan who's notably different from him, though he remains a nomad. Not only has his power increased, but he's gained a noble spirit and fearless outlook. He's truly a reliable Yo-kai.

Beetler:
In the Yo-kai Dictionary it states, 'If Beetler bashes baddies in a bevy of brutal battles, the result will be a big-bodied Beetall.'

Sheen:
'A Yo-kai swordsman who returned to the way of the sword when a legendary blade reignited his spirit.'

Some of these Yo-kai have more interesting backstories and situations than most Pokemon, that's coming from me who watched the all of the subbed episodes of YW.
Nope. Not doing it for me. I'll stick to Pokemon and Kamen Rider
That, and the other thing I don't like is that, according to this list of Yokai, so many of them are color-swaps. That just annoys me since it seems kind of like a cheap attempt at drumming up the numbers. :/

My favorite of the bunch is probably this guy.

But then I remember his name is Sheen and all badassery goes away.
How much different are the colour swaps? Are they like Dark Pit in which the colour is the only difference or is it more like, say, Kamen Rider where the characters/Yokai are very different from the original palettes?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
YW is more comparable to being (discount) Fossil Fighters than to Pokemon, in any regard aside from the anime at least.
As a person who played the first two fossil fighters games to completion, I can tell you I feel YW is just better than those games.

The FF games were fine as a kid, but as someone who became older I stopped caring about everything that happened in the games. The stories aren't compelling, the characters are 1d, and all I really cared about was using my favorite dinosaurs. I didn't care about all the designs they made for the other vivosaurs because there was no reason to. The gameplay was good enough though.

YW brings a lot of interesting designs on the other hand, the stories in the game are interesting, the characters are well thought out, and the Yo-kai actually fit quite well into society.
Actually, speaking of Fossil Fighters, I want to get Frontier, a friend showed me and she was hooked
Oh? Eh. Probably still won't get it.
That, and the other thing I don't like is that, according to this list of Yokai, so many of them are color-swaps. That just annoys me since it seems kind of like a cheap attempt at drumming up the numbers. :/
Yes, that is my biggest complaint at the designs so far. You actually even see them early on as well. I haven't seen them all though, so I can't say there is still enough unique designs.

As a side and personal note, I'd prefer if people stopped spoiling the designs for me. >.>
Can't stop it though I understand.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
eh...Not really my thing at all. Nothing that screams 'instant badass' or something
I gotta say that the first one on the top looks pretty badass, but that's just me.

I don't really have a problem with the Yo-Kai Watch stuff at all, but minor problems I have are the voice acting, which isn't that good for several characters (Nate just sounds too old) and how they made Manjimut another ''Megward the Wizard'', not to mention an episode that specifically shows the kids watching hentei (Even in the dub). But this is coming from a person who's only watched the anime and played the demo, which was pretty good imo, can't think of anything bad to say about it.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Yokai Watch will definitely become popular amongst the children outside Japan. Pokemon will stay as popular as it is, I mean Japan loves both Pokemon and Yokai Watch. Teenagers and adults seem to like Pokemon because of the competitive scene as well. I'm not quite sure if Yokai Watch will have a competitive scene of any kind but if it does I wouldn't be surprised if teens/adults play Yokai Watch too. Plus, Yokai Watch is more about ghosts or supernatural creatures anyways. Personally, I'm interested in Yokai Watch and might try out some time. It's a shame Digimon games aren't as popular anymore but I'm still glad to see them around. I missed the Digivices, D-tectors and the like though. Hyped for the Digimon Adventure Tri films at the very least.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
One other thing, Springsdale is the most Japanese town in "North America" :troll:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
As a person who played the first two fossil fighters games to completion, I can tell you I feel YW is just better than those games.

The FF games were fine as a kid, but as someone who became older I stopped caring about everything that happened in the games. The stories aren't compelling, the characters are 1d, and all I really cared about was using my favorite dinosaurs. I didn't care about all the designs they made for the other vivosaurs because there was no reason to. The gameplay was good enough though.

YW brings a lot of interesting designs on the other hand, the stories in the game are interesting, the characters are well thought out, and the Yo-kai actually fit quite well into society.

Oh? Eh. Probably still won't get it.

Yes, that is my biggest complaint at the designs so far. You actually even see them early on as well. I haven't seen them all though, so I can't say there is still enough unique designs.

As a side and personal note, I'd prefer if people stopped spoiling the designs for me. >.>
Can't stop it though I understand.
If Fossil Fighters had an anime, it would easily be much more appealing and sell more. I actually didn't like how they dropped a majority of the vivosaurs and mechanics in Frontier that were present in the first 2 games. I want my Frigisaurus and BB bandit trio Nintendo!
All I have to say is that "Gera Po" will never be on par with "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"
Now those were the days, coming home and watching the Pokemon anime on 4kids. (Pokemon was easily one of their better dubs).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So if anybody knows what a "Megward the Wizard" is, then let me tell you something, Yo-Kai Watch has one.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
All I have to say is that "Gera Po" will never be on par with "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"
Disagree hard. It is still an amazing song, but I only listen to it for nostalgia.

Meanwhile, I keep coming back to Gera Po, both the english and Japanese version, (granted besides the differences in language, the only other difference is the Japanese version is extended). I really like that song.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

My favorite of the bunch is probably this guy.

But then I remember his name is Sheen and all badassery goes away.

OBJECT-NYAN!

The reason some of those Yo-kai have similar palette swaps is because of Yo-kai Fusion. Yo-kai Fusion is a feature that lets you combine two Yo-kai to make a more powerful Yo-kai. The very Yo-kai you just listed is the result of a Yo-kai Synthesis, which you combine the legendary blade item with Chansin to get Sheen.

Check out the website for yourself, it literally shows it.
http://yo-kai.nintendo.com/gameplay/

It's not that Level-5 is lazy, it's just the result of fusing Yo-kai. There's more understandable reasons behind it than anything.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I saw the new James Bond movie, it was pretty good. (Albeit with an extremely trippy opening)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
it's just the result of fusing Yo-kai.
Well in this scenario it really isn't fusing, per se
It's just moreso
Give this guy a thing and then boom, evolution.
It's sorta like Evolution Stones in Pokemon.

pleasedon'thurtme

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

OBJECT-NYAN!

The reason some of those Yo-kai have similar palette swaps is because of Yo-kai Fusion. Yo-kai Fusion is a feature that lets you combine two Yo-kai to make a more powerful Yo-kai. The very Yo-kai you just listed is the result of a Yo-kai Synthesis, which you combine the legendary blade item with Chansin to get Sheen.

It's not that Level-5 is lazy, it's just the result of fusing Yo-kai. There's more understandable reasons behind it than anything.
Digimon and Pokemon did fusion designs better actually, hell, even Kamen Rider Mach Chaser ended up having a better fusion despite being a suit that was made on incredibly low budget for a single fight scene

Soul.

Is Fossil Fighters a Nintendo franchise or something that was just released only on Nintendo platforms.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is Fossil Fighters a Nintendo franchise or something that was just released only on Nintendo platforms.
No, it's owned by Nintendo, the Fossil Fighters even have their own trophy in the 3DS version of Smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Digimon and Pokemon did fusion designs better actually, hell, even Kamen Rider Mach Chaser ended up having a better fusion despite being a suit that was made on incredibly low budget for a single fight scene
I don't think you can really judge that until you actually try it out Yo-kai Fusion yourself.

Well in this scenario it really isn't fusing, per se
It's just moreso
Give this guy a thing and then boom, evolution.
It's sorta like Evolution Stones in Pokemon.

pleasedon'thurtme
It still is more understandable than anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

OBJECT-NYAN!

That...doesn't exactly make it much better, really. Like, you're telling me that these two
consist of a base form and a fusion with another Yokai? Then why does it just change the color of the first one instead of getting more of the appearance of the other one it fused with?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
To be fair, Blockbuster died because everyone started to go towards digital.
But what killed Blockbuster in comparison to Netflix is conviniance. Pokemon is one of the best sellingfranchises in the world, YW may become big, but it'll NEVER rival Pokemon's popularity
Those only help my point. There are other factors besides time on the market (what I responded to) that effect the life of a product. Series live, die/fade away, and get resurrected for various reasons. The new guy, Netflix offered an experience and a delivery of that experience that Blockbuster didn't have and was much more attractive (Fun fact: The creators of Netflix actually went to blockbuster and pitched the idea but they declined) even though the concepts were similar. People were looking for a different experience and blockbuster couldnt keep up with the times. We have no idea how people will be attracted to yokai watch over time, we have no idea how people will react to pokemon over time, and we have no idea how taste will evolve; we simply note changes as soon as possible and make adjustments. I mean Pokemon's sales have overall been on the decline the last decade (though still high), but it could go either way. X and Y was a spike in the decline but whose to say it will keep rising? Success is not written in stone.

Now I believe that Pokemon will be forever remembered as it's had so much of an influence, but I wont assume it will always be on top. I can't tell the future. No one can. Even analyst are just making educated decisions and they get things wrong

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That...doesn't exactly make it much better, really. Like, you're telling me that these two
consist of a base form and a fusion with another Yokai? Then why does it just change the color of the first one instead of getting more of the appearance of the other one it fused with?
Ew, Snot Duck.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Those only help my point. There are other factors besides time on the market (what I responded to) that effect the life of a product. Series live, die/fade away, and get resurrected for various reasons. The new guy, Netflix offered an experience and a delivery of that experience that Blockbuster didn't have and was much more attractive (Fun fact: The creators of Netflix actually went to blockbuster and pitched the idea but they declined) even though the concepts were similar. People were looking for a different experience and blockbuster couldnt keep up with the times. We have no idea how people will be attracted to yokai watch over time, we have no idea how people will react to pokemon over time, and we have no idea how taste will evolve; we simply note changes as soon as possible and make adjustments. I mean Pokemon's sales have overall been on the decline the last decade (though still high), but it could go either way. X and Y was a spike in the decline but whose to say it will keep rising? Success is not written in stone.

Now I believe that Pokemon will be forever remembered as it's had so much of an influence, but I wont assume it will always be on top. I can't tell the future. No one can. Even analyst are just making educated decisions and they get things wrong
Here's my problem with this. Blockbuster couldn't adapt to the market, Game Freak has adapted every time they needed to
I don't think you can really judge that until you actually try it out Yo-kai Fusion yourself.

It still is more understandable than anything.
Let me guess, I need to play Pay Day 2 to criticize how they added microtransactions despite them saying they'd never do it? Sorry Fumi, that's not how it works

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Still, I also think you're underestimating the success of Pokemon. Yes, franchises will die, but that's because either they stop selling, or the company goes bankrupt. And I highly doubt the two are going to happen anytime soon, nor will Yokai Watch of all things be the final nail in Pikachu's coffin.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Pokemon is a 100+ million dollar franchise

Yokai Watch won't even come close to that.

Plus Pokemon designs range from all different variants while YW has much more cartoonish designs and Pokemon's gameplay is super simplistic but still deep and can be used competitively

The only series that ever came close to Pokemon's level was Digimon back in its heyday in 1999-2000 but that was it
This is all true but Pokemon shouldn't be the measuring stick for success. It's a one off. Yokai Watch has all the potential to be a huge deal if managed properly moving forward.

I do hope it's a success, I don't have it yet but it looks really interesting. Nintendo handhelds could always do with more 3rd Party exclusives.

All Ducks are cute.
Fixed

RIP old adorable Avi of mine.
No counter objection? just a reply? not even a sprite gif?

im sad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom