• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So it seems that the maintenance that was supposed to happen tomorrow is happening right now.

I don't know what to do now...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was actually enjoying this debate. I'm a bit disappointed in this cop-out response, and even more disappointed that you had to resort to petty shots like "ur bein edgy" and "u fight with ppl all da time".

You let me down, man. :urg:
I wasn't making a petty shot.

You literally just said yourself that you enjoy being negative and argumentative for the sake of it, as well as having unpopular opinions for the sake of it. You are not here to learn or be enlightened or discover new ideas, only to tell people that they are wrong without backing it up with any real substance while also contradicting yourself time and time again. You also constantly resort to insults in your points, either toward the subject matter or the person you are trying to argue with, and then try to interpret things the other person says as insults, even when they aren't.

This isn't the first time you have done this and I am not the first person to notice. I'm also not the last, as evidenced by a post made mere moments after my last one.

Try to insult me all you like for knowing when a person is too stubborn to continue arguing with and realising that they are only interested in "winning" and not in debating to find new information. But the fact of the matter is, people like you are the kind of people any sensible person would be least ashamed of stepping down from an argument with.

There is nothing I have to gain from taking things any further with you, nor do you have anything to gain (nor do you even seem to want to gain something in the first place). So let's just leave it here.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The fact that you even came up with such a scenario tells me that you haven't let go. Whether you deemed it unlikely or not is besides the point.
See, that's pretty shortsighted and ignorant in my eyes. By that ideology, literally any "Hey this would be cool" idea ever is stupid because it's not going to happen.

Whatever man. You're cool but you really are just being snarky for no reason :/

Soul.

I'd rather not have TheSpitefulWolf in the General DLC thread be proven right all along. He's been insisting that all that's left is Cloud + Wolf + Pichu and frankly just not being nice when people argue against that thinking. He thinks Pichu will make it just because Roy did and Melee Veteran/Brawl Veteran/3rd Party Newcomer is going to be a pattern because of the one time we got Roy, Lucas, and Ryu :S
I mean I'm not really expecting Pichu to come back. In a scenario where it did came back, that would be funny, but nah I'm just not expecting anything.

Sucks about arguments there though

Chrono.

Speaking of KH

Reminder that the KH3 trailer SE showed on D23 hasn't been officially uploaded yet, even though they were going to post it 5 hours after said event.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
and Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG.
Alright, this is starting to hurt my feelings. SMRPG is one of my all-time favorite games and all of these fake leaks are just reminding me that it's never going to be in smash. It's such a stretch that any content from this game will make it in that it outright destroys all of this leaks credibility.

Come on Sakurai, I'll take anything!

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm still on board with saying that Captain Toad is very plausible. He fits pretty much everything Sakurai has said about characters he adds.

Inklings, to me, are still highly dependent. My argument against them being likely involves the window of development. When would they have started developing Inklings if they're to be released this month? Before Splatoon became a hit, or after? Was Nintendo expecting Splatoon to be a hit? If so, the window widens, meaning imo they're more likely since they might've developed Inklings before release.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
okay can someone go check the japanese direct that talk about pokken because apparently there will be 30 characters and this was said in the japanese directs

if this is true it opens up for far more inventive choices

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
okay can someone go check the japanese direct that talk about pokken because apparently there will be 30 characters and this was said in the japanese directs

30?!

froslass hype

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm still on board with saying that Captain Toad is very plausible. He fits pretty much everything Sakurai has said about characters he adds.

Inklings, to me, are still highly dependent. My argument against them being likely involves the window of development. When would they have started developing Inklings if they're to be released this month? Before Splatoon became a hit, or after? Was Nintendo expecting Splatoon to be a hit? If so, the window widens, meaning imo they're more likely since they might've developed Inklings before release.
Yeah.

Him and Isaac are other considerations I should have put on my post. I see them as possible as well. Although I'm hesitant on Toad because he is someone I really want. So I try to control my bias.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
.............Is this a joke? Please tell me it is.

I thought you finally moved on from the tinfoil hat Ridley conspiracies. He's been disconfirmed at least six times now.
I am most certainly not expecting Ridley, but I also don't think he should be written off so easily. Allow me to explain why.

Ever since Roy and Ryu happened, I've been of the opinion that anything in the base game doesn't matter as far as DLC is concerned. This means that a character having some role in the base game that would "disconfirm" them from being playable is no longer relevant; DLC wasn't planned then, and if Sakurai really wanted to make, say, Ashley playable, I don't think he'd say now, "Well, she's an assist trophy, so I guess not." Roy is what set this idea in stone for me, but I think it's reasonable. There's been no DLC that would suggest Ridley isn't going to be playable, so I don't think his boss status means anything for the possibility of him being playable.

Sakurai also said the rest of the DLC would be "fanservice." It just so happens that Ridley is one of very few potential newcomers - possibly the only one who isn't confirmed playable - that Sakurai has actually directly acknowledged the popularity of, and DLC is where popularity matters more than ever before. He didn't think Ridley could work for the base game, but he had a lot more to work on and worry about then. If there's a time for Ridley to come, it's probably now.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Speaking of KH

Reminder that the KH3 trailer SE showed on D23 hasn't been officially uploaded yet, even though they were going to post it 5 hours after said event.

I'm pretty sure Square said something days later about media outlets falsely reporting this, and that they never had any attention of sharing it with the public.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Alright, this is starting to hurt my feelings. SMRPG is one of my all-time favorite games and all of these fake leaks are just reminding me that it's never going to be in smash. It's such a stretch that any content from this game will make it in that it outright destroys all of this leaks credibility.

You have Peach's Frying Pan Side Smash :^)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I don't remember that.

Chrono.

I'm pretty sure Square said something days later about media outlets falsely reporting this, and that they never had any attention of sharing it with the public.
Well then

I just remembered because this showed up.

Go to @1:07

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So it seems that the maintenance that was supposed to happen tomorrow is happening right now.

I don't know what to do now...
Here's what I want you to do:

Get out of your house

Run to your background

Go hide in the bunker

Pray.

And you guessed correctly!

This made me sad to, I really want some mario rpg content in smash, but I feel like it just won't happen.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I wasn't making a petty shot.

You literally just said yourself that you enjoy being negative and argumentative for the sake of it, as well as having unpopular opinions for the sake of it.
Uhhh....no, I didn't.

I just said that I have some unpopular opinions, and gave an example of an unpopular opinion I genuinely have.

Please, find proof of me saying that I purposely form unpopular opinions just for the sake of it.

You are not here to learn or be enlightened or discover new ideas, only to tell people that they are wrong without backing it up with any real substance while also contradicting yourself time and time again. You also constantly resort to insults in your points, either toward the subject matter or the person you are trying to argue with, and then try to interpret things the other person says as insults, even when they aren't.
When do I ever resort to insulting people in my posts? I'm extremely sarcastic and abrasive, but I typically don't go out of my way to try and insult people.

I'm quite open to learning new things and changing my opinion, actually. And I have no shame in admitting when I'm wrong about stuff. I may tend to come across as the type who thinks they're a know-it-all, but I've been wrong about quite a lot.

I just require more convincing than most.

This isn't the first time you have done this and I am not the first person to notice. I'm also not the last, as evidenced by a post made mere moments after my last one.
I'm not denying that.

I just thought it was really out of place, given that it was just a debate up until that last post. I don't understand what spurred you to decide to take it that route.

Try to insult me all you like for knowing when a person is too stubborn to continue arguing with and realising that they are only interested in "winning" and not in debating to find new information. But the fact of the matter is, people like you are the kind of people any sensible person would be least ashamed of stepping down from an argument with.
We were having a debate.

Did you just expect me to stop replying? There wasn't a spot in any of your posts where I thought "Wow, this guy really proved what he was saying". I didn't agree with your points and found spots that I felt needed a response.

If you didn't want it to continue, you could've just stopped responding, yourself. Or even just asked. I've got no issue dropping an argument at the other person's request.

There is nothing I have to gain from taking things any further with you, nor do you have anything to gain (nor do you even seem to want to gain something in the first place). So let's just leave it here.
Well, I did learn that the cutscene wasn't from Kingdom Hearts 2.

So I guess I did gain something. :D

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I am most certainly not expecting Ridley, but I also don't think he should be written off so easily. Allow me to explain why.

Ever since Roy and Ryu happened, I've been of the opinion that anything in the base game doesn't matter as far as DLC is concerned. This means that a character having some role in the base game that would "disconfirm" them from being playable is no longer relevant; DLC wasn't planned then, and if Sakurai really wanted to make, say, Ashley playable, I don't think he'd say now, "Well, she's an assist trophy, so I guess not." Roy is what set this idea in stone for me, but I think it's reasonable. There's been no DLC that would suggest Ridley isn't going to be playable, so I don't think his boss status means anything for the possibility of him being playable.
You're not making any sense at all.

What does Roy and Ryu have to do with Ridley? Neither of them had a role in the base game.

3 out of 5 of the available/announced DLC characters didn't have any sort of in-game role before DLC. They're the exact opposite of Ridley.

Is this about the Koopaling? Or some sort of insane "ONE FAN RULE WAS BROKEN SO ALL ARE GONE!" logic? Because unlike the "1 character per third party" rule, there's actual reason to leave NPCs as they are.

Sakurai also said the rest of the DLC would be "fanservice." It just so happens that Ridley is one of very few potential newcomers - possibly the only one who isn't confirmed playable - that Sakurai has actually directly acknowledged the popularity of, and DLC is where popularity matters more than ever before. He didn't think Ridley could work for the base game, but he had a lot more to work on and worry about then. If there's a time for Ridley to come, it's probably now.
Chrom says "Hi".

See, that's pretty shortsighted and ignorant in my eyes. By that ideology, literally any "Hey this would be cool" idea ever is stupid because it's not going to happen.

Whatever man. You're cool but you really are just being snarky for no reason :/
It's not about what would be cool.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

What does Roy and Ryu have to do with Ridley? Neither of them had a role in the base game.

3 out of 5 of the available/announced DLC characters didn't have any sort of in-game role before DLC. They're the exact opposite of Ridley.

Is this about the Koopaling? Or some sort of insane "ONE FAN RULE WAS BROKEN SO ALL ARE GONE!" logic? Because unlike the "1 character per third party" rule, there's actual reason to leave NPCs as they are.

Chrom says "Hi".
Hey Burb what do you think about Shrek? Do you think he has any chance at all? What would your reaction be IF he got in?
Here's what I want you to do:

Get out of your house

Run to your background

Go hide in the bunker

Pray.

And you guessed correctly!

This made me sad to, I really want some mario rpg content in smash, but I feel like it just won't happen.
Though maybe, if they got Cloud in smash, maybe Square would be nice enough to let them use SMRPG stuff.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Hey Burb what do you think about Shrek? Do you think he has any chance at all? What would your reaction be IF he got in?
He's likelier than the character who's been disconfirmed 6 times.

Probably would make for a dull fighter, though. Wario's already using the gross character gimmick.

Alright man. If that's how you feel.

:troll:
Just tryin' to help, much like last year. :urg:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Because we Ridley needed Ridley to be brought up during a Ridley tense time period where there's a Ridley big amount of leaks and Ridley dumb speculation. :awesome:

i kid

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
As a Wii Fit Trainer main, I'm slightly offended....
As someone who plays Olimar, I'm almost offended he wasn't there. He's not even popular enough for people to complain about Olimar players spamming Pikmin... Poor Olimar & Alph...

As for the Smash broadcast, I think I'm going to stay off Smashboards from tomorrow until I watch it on Tuesday just in case there's a datamine between now and then. I want it to be a total surprise for maximum hype value.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

They don't have anything to do with Ridley on their own, they just sealed the deal on the idea for me. Well, Roy more than Ryu.

I don't understand how you can say I'm "not making sense." Roy wasn't the only justification I used for this idea. Whether you agree or not, how does it not make sense to think that content in the base game doesn't effect potential DLC?

For the record, I'm not a big Ridley supporter. There's no bias involved. I also made it clear that I don't think Ridley is coming, just that I don't think his current ingame role means anything and that if there's a time for him to come at all, it's here. I still don't think Ridley is coming, pretty much because he's Ridley. Keep this in mind.

Chrom says "Hi".
I said "possibly" for a reason (that being I couldn't think of any others) but I'm pretty sure this was more about him being expected rather than popular.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
A Ridley debate huh? I haven't seen one in a long time.
Geno, Ridley, it's almost like we're going through a nostalgic trip of speculation.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
He's likelier than the character who's been disconfirmed 6 times.

Probably would make for a dull fighter, though. Wario's already using the gross character gimmick.

Just tryin' to help, much like last year. :urg:
Shrek could have a moveset based around MLG.
B- He throws an onion at you
Side B- Shrek hops in his pink car and drives in a straight line
Up B- He farts
Down B- If Shrek grabs you, he drags you down into a swamp.
FS- (use your imagination for this one)
I also found a video that might confirm Shrek, but its probably nothing, I saw it and its weird.:awesome: PM me if you want a link if you dare:awesome:
Chandeelure Chandeelure This is what you get when you mess with my hopes and dreams.

Let this be a lesson to all who oppose me!
Bandanna Dong has a nice ring to it, and he's a DK character.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
If we're already going through Geno and Ridley today I can tell Tuesday will be fun.

Both have an equal chnce of 0% with no room for error.
+-.001 error.
Nothing is impossible. Except for the metaphysically impossible.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
They don't have anything to do with Ridley on their own, they just sealed the deal on the idea for me. Well, Roy more than Ryu.

I don't understand how you can say I'm "not making sense." Roy wasn't the only justification I used for this idea. Whether you agree or not, how does it not make sense to think that content in the base game doesn't effect potential DLC?

For the record, I'm not a big Ridley supporter. There's no bias involved. I also made it clear that I don't think Ridley is coming, just that I don't think his current ingame role means anything and that if there's a time for him to come at all, it's here. I still don't think Ridley is coming, pretty much because he's Ridley. Keep this in mind.
Because it doesn't make sense.

What does Roy's confirmation have to do with NPCs becoming playable? What connection is there between a clone character from Melee who was cut in Brawl, and a character who's already present as a boss that Sakurai has said won't work as a fighter?

As for Chrom....it originally seemed like he was on the Pac-Man boat (Deemed inevitable, but not really wanted), but after his disconfirmation and the start of the ballot, he seems to genuinely be popular and wanted.

Not so much on Smashboards, but in other communities. On Tumblr, he's among the absolute most wanted.

If we're already going through Geno and Ridley today I can tell Tuesday will be fun.

Both have an equal chnce of 0% with no room for error.
To be fair, the Geno part of it didn't really spiral into the usual multi-page long argument.

It was pretty short and tame by Geno argument standards.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Because it doesn't make sense.

What does Roy's confirmation have to do with NPCs becoming playable?
:facepalm:

Why are you so fixated on this one detail? I used Roy because I considered him one of the least likely candidates for DLC for multiple reasons (Roy Koopa, Ike having fire effects, Lucina being a Marth clone, Fire Emblem already having 4 characters and 2 newcomers in the base game), but it's not about him alone.

Just because this is Ridley doesn't mean that every argument that might be considered in his favor is automatically invalidated. Yikes.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As a Wii Fit Trainer main, I'm slightly offended....
As a Wii Fit Trainer main, I'm very offended and pissed off.

Do these boys not know of the power that is of her F-Smash, a move so dangerous that it has a hitbox behind her and no one can not roll from it.
Don't you ever disrespect the Fitness Goddess

Burb

The Absolute Worst
:facepalm:

Why are you so fixated on this one detail? I used Roy because I considered him one of the most least likely candidates for DLC for multiple reasons (Roy Koopa, Ike having fire effects, Lucina being a Marth clone, Fire Emblem already having 4 characters and 2 newcomers in the base game), but it's not about him alone.

Just because this is Ridley doesn't mean that every argument that might be considered in his favor is automatically invalidated. Yikes.
You said Roy was the reason why you decided Ridley has a shot. I was just asking how you came to that conclusion.

Apparently it's exactly the reason I had suspected (Fan rules being broken), so that's pretty much all there is to it. I was just curious is all. :laugh:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
As a Wii Fit Trainer main, I'm very offended and pissed off.
Do these boys not know of the power that is of her F-Smash, a move so dangerous that it has a hitbox behind her and no one can not roll from it.
Don't you ever disrespect the Fitness Goddess
Wii Fit Trainer, hitbox.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
*Peeks in the general DLC thread*

Sigh. Givin' the, like, three of us that actually want Pichu back a bad name. Also, wow, I thought Geno arguments got heated here.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
You said Roy was the reason why you decided Ridley has a shot. I was just asking how you came to that conclusion.

Apparently it's exactly the reason I had suspected (Fan rules being broken), so that's pretty much all there is to it. I was just curious is all. :laugh:
I also mentioned other reasons that I thought his chances weren't completely shot, but apparently you ignored those.

It's not "fan rules being broken." I don't believe in fan rules. It's about what Sakurai has said and done and the conclusions I draw from that.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
*Peeks in the general DLC thread*

Sigh. Givin' the, like, three of us that actually want Pichu back a bad name. Also, wow, I thought Geno arguments got heated here.
That thread is disgusting, there are like 3 or 4 people who only post bad arguments and insults, I don't know why they are not banned yet.
Well, one was banned today, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom