• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yoshi was trapped in the egg by bowser

Also, rosalina having parents isn't contradicted by the stork, since it delivers the baby to the parents. We didn't see her being birthed

No, I'm talking about future games in regards to Yoshis. They are literally born from eggs, this has been established, such as games like NSMBU, where you even have Baby Yoshis as a separate kind of power-up.

We know Rosalina's parents are biological, as her mother bears a strong physical (i.e. they share genes) resemblance to her. This does contradict the idea of a stork, since a physical resemblance would not happen otherwise.

Besides, the stork would have to get the babies from somewhere.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Babies are not canonically delivered by storks, it's been established that babies are born in multiple ways in Mario. Yoshis hatch from eggs, Lumas are born from stardust, Rosalina had two biological parents and a brother, the DK family are biologically related, etc.
Mario and Luigi are brothers with parents.

Both were delivered via stork.

The method in which Yoshis and Lumas are born has no baring on the existence of the stork in Mario lore. That's where humans come from, and there's nothing contradicting it. And given that Kamek knew of it, it can be assumed that's where Koopas come from as well.

That whole plot point of Peach potentially being Bowser Jr's mother was completely non-sensical and unnecessary from the get go.
Other than to give the villain motive.

You know, Roxas' storyline wouldn't differ at all if he didn't cry about ice cream. It was completely unnecessary, too, and he probably would've been a better, more believable character if it hadn't happened.

If you want to assume storks are the only way a baby can be delivered to two loving parents in Mario, that implies that Peach and Bowser are indeed in love,
According to Yoshi's New Island, the Mario Brothers were delivered to the wrong parents.

The stork's an incompetent idiot. Given the amount of time Peach spends locked up in Bowser's place, maybe he came to the conclusion that they're a couple? We are making assumptions at this point, so....

which introduces the theme of cheating on someone (Mario, as yes, they are actually a couple despite some fans trying to grasp onto that "they're just friends") in a Mario game.
There's already "cheating", then.

Peach kisses Luigi if you rescue her in games where he's a playable character.

If, like pretty much everyone else, you assumed that babies in Mario could be born through sexual reproduction, then you run into the issue of Peach and Bowser having an implied sexual affair. Oh, and the idea of sexual attraction has been lightly addressed in the Mario universe, so it's not like people are weird for jumping to this conclusion. Peach in particular has been used for sex appeal by Nintendo on numerous occasions too, from commercials to how she's portrayed in Smash and some of the Mario spin-offs.
I prefer to go with what's canon.

The reason why this whole idea was stupid is because, regardless of how you interpret baby birth in Mario, they are still going dangerously close to bringing up adult themes in a Mario game, to the point where they can do literally nothing with this plot thread other than cop out of it. Which they did, but since they knew they would cop out anyway, why did they bring it up? It's an idea that's literally dead on arrival. It adds literally nothing to the narrative.
And the reason why the ice cream idea is stupid is because it's a teenager being written as such a manchild that he reacts to death the way a three year old would.

This isn't comparable at all to the ice cream scene. Regardless of whether or not you think it's cringeworthy, it still makes sense and adds something to the narrative (i.e. highlighting Roxas' innocence and limited understanding of friendship that was based off when Axel literally said "Friendship is eating ice cream together and laughing without a care in the world", as well as just how much he valued Xion). And while you may be completely cold to the scene, most people literally view this scene as the most emotional, tear-jerking scene in the entire series and perfectly comprehend the existence of that line and see how it adds to the narrative, and it can't be the worst thing ever if that many people connected with it. It has a clear purpose, the symbolism is obvious, and for many people, achieved the emotional impact it was going for. There's nothing stupid or difficult to comprehend about that, nor does it unintentionally bring up themes that are inappropriate for the game's demographic.
.....Actually, most people I've come across have said it was stupid, too. Even KH fans.

As for that last sentence....it does just the opposite, actually. It handles a mature theme in a manner that would feel more at home in pre-school television. It's death for kiddies.

In fact....

It actually felt like something out of Sesame Street.

It's every bit as big an example of missing your demographic as the Mario scene, if not moreso.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The Smash bros gallery on Know your meme just got a bunch of spoilered images. Any of you people who wanna get leaks wanna check em out? Probably fake but I wanna be sure and safe.
Donald Trump is legit. He bought himself a spot. Also who wants to learn how to style their hair like him? How about you Burb Burb I'll give you a link to the video (and you need to react to it):troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok then. I'm gonna leave now so I'll see you all Tuesday night. 'til then, keep debating how a universe where Stork Babies deliveries happen functions.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I beat The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

I have now beat both Oracle Games.

Now to move on to...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Flowey the Flower
It's funny because he'd probably be more interesting to play as than the indy reps that actually get requested.

As the Absolute God of Hyperdeath, Asriel Dreemurr, that is.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I love the angry upside down WarLuma Opossum Opossum Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

But what is the actual criteria for being right or wrong? SG has many people besides me and we all have different opinions.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Something funny about leaks at this moment...Nintendo saved Cloud from being leaked.
I respect them for this, not even a picture, a famous text leak about him some days before the last direct...

So it's not like Paper Mario and Wolf would be catched now, right ?
It's because I really think they're improving in the security that I... I still dumb and believe eveything until proven wrong.
Not everything, but that adventure mode picture is kind of neat.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Poots

Smash Journeyman
the DK family are biologically related
Actually, the current DK was delivered by the stork. Yoshi's island DS actually confirmed that both Kongs and Koopas are delivered by storks as well as humans.
(And whatever the hell Wario is)

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm morbidly curious of the quantum reproduction methods necessary to have children in the Mario Universe now thanks to this debate. If you hold hands, does it spark a network cable that leads to a baby factory production?

These are important questions, folks.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So what started this whole Mario canon argument? I'm going back a few pages but I don't know where this started.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The method in which Yoshis and Lumas are born has no baring on the existence of the stork in Mario lore. That's where humans come from, and there's nothing contradicting it. And given that Kamek knew of it, it can be assumed that's where Koopas come from as well.
It does have a bearing on it since it proves that A) the stork isn't the end all be all, there are other methods of reproduction, and B) also hints at the fact that storks get these babies from somewhere. It's more likely that the stork is helping orphans find families rather than popping them out of thin air.

I pretty much deem the stork as non-canon at this point though since the Yoshi's Island story has literally been retold multiple times now. Like it's the exact same story but they change elements of it.

Other than to give the villain motive.
Bowser Jr didn't need Peach to motivate him. He's shown to be a loyal kid to his dad and does anything he asks of him. Bowser didn't need to tell Jr Peach was his mother to motivate him. Every other game shows Bowser Jr co-operating with Bowser just fine, regardless of Peach's involvement, and even in Sunshine, it's quite clear he looks up to his dad. It's a pointless plot thread that added nothing.

You know, Roxas' storyline wouldn't differ at all if he didn't cry about ice cream. It was completely unnecessary, too, and he probably would've been a better, more believable character if it hadn't happened.
And there you show that you don't even get the scene. He isn't crying about ice cream, he's naturally upset by losing his friend. Eating ice cream and having banter is just what they most commonly did together, it's a symbol of their friendship. Having nobody to eat ice cream with equates to him having no friends and being all alone, while also being a literal fugitive to the Organisation.

The stork's an incompetent idiot. Given the amount of time Peach spends locked up in Bowser's place, maybe he came to the conclusion that they're a couple?
Peach isn't actually Bowser Jr's mother though. That much is confirmed by the end of the game, Bowser just flat out lied to Jr. That's what I meant by it being a pointless plot thread that added nothing, that they ultimately had to cop out of.

Peach kisses Luigi if you rescue her in games where he's a playable character.
On the cheek/forehead, which isn't romantic.

Cheating was potentially introduced in Mario in other areas but that isn't an example of it (and it's no less stupid in those other areas either as it was a clear oversight).

I prefer to go with what's canon.
Some of the spin-offs are canon though and introduce elements that stay with the series.

I mean you're trying to say Yoshi's Island is canon and that's a spin-off in itself, even though it makes less sense to be canon than most other ones.

Actually, the current DK was delivered by the stork. Yoshi's island DS actually confirmed that both Kongs and Koopas are delivered by storks as well as humans.
(And whatever the hell Wario is)
As I already mentioned, the Yoshi's Island games aren't really canon as they are constantly retconned. They are all the same story just told differently, and Yoshi's Island DS is not the latest iteration, so it certainly can't be canon.

And once again, even assuming that was the case, the stork has to get the babies from somewhere.

Ice cream and ZeRo. Okay I think I got it.
(I don't)
I mentioned that ZeRo said he voted for Sora on the ballot and that I thought it was cool and that I also did the same.

Cue comments about "KH'S STORY IS STOOPID AND I DONT GET IT" and some other comment about Sora being a replacement for Snake as a "stupid story rep".

I then pointed out how various Nintendo games already have way stupider stories anyway, and people got defensive over that, mainly when I brought up the "Mama Peach" fiasco from Mario Sunshine as an example. With people trying to say that isn't stupid because "MUH STORK".

And apparently there is an inherent hate for KH here too which is weird.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I dunno. I just made the image. Swamp told me what to say. :p
So your being manipulated by swamp?
Don't worry its ogre

:troll:

Also who are the most unlikely and non video game characters you want in smash?
ZeRo wanting Sora in smash

I wish I was joking.
Sora is Disney, Monkey Fist is also Disney, ZeRo mains a monkey.

MONKEY ZeRo CONFIRMED!:troll:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Something funny about leaks at this moment...Nintendo saved Cloud from being leaked.
I respect them for this, not even a picture, a famous text leak about him some days before the last direct...

So it's not like Paper Mario and Wolf would be catched now, right ?
It's because I really think they're improving in the security that I... I still dumb and believe eveything until proven wrong.
Not everything, but that adventure mode picture is kind of neat.
Of the five DLC characters, only two were leaked (Roy and Ryu). Mewtwo, Lucas, and Cloud were all surprises (excluding the Luke Skywalker Cloud post, since that doesn't really count given how vague it was).

It's actually less common for them to be leaked than for them not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom