• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Don't bother

The people here really really hate KH and Sora.

You're more likey to make them believe ToS had actual info
ToS was fake. This is a fact.

KH's writing quality is an opinion.

I know it was meant to be hyperbole, but it's not even a valid comparison. Of course nobody's going to be convinced that a cringeworthy cutscene is good because "zomg it fits da caracter and makes sense in context!!!!!1111".

The Tidus/Yuna laughing cutscene from FFX made sense and fit the story. Everyone thought it was stupid. It's still mocked even despite there being a lot of detailed explanations as to why the acting in it felt so fake and bad.

Isn't metal gear that game where we have five versions of the same character?:yeahboi:
Errr.....doesn't Kingdom Hearts technically have multiple versions of the same characters, too?

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I watched Johnny's MGS2 video and I was more confused than when I played KH3D
At least I understood what happened in the first 3 games

No, just four actually

Make me a Male Ralts and we're good
Though you can only get one AFTER the second gym...
Since you just lost Khoru and Teh Epic Anna...

who is living? So many friends died today... looks like no one fought for them :^(

z-zoro senpai you've quoted so many of my posts i love you senpai chan

Strofirko

Smash Master
No, just four actually
Doubting my count skills? uh?
Big Boss
Venom Snake
Solid Snake
Solidus Snake
Liquid Snake/Ocelot
That's 5 to you,good day sir.
Errr.....doesn't Kingdom Hearts technically have multiple versions of the same characters, too?
It is because get boring after meeting the third "anti-war" ninja cyborg and the second sniper wolf on the series.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Nope, can't think of a single Metal Gear cutscene as embarrassing as Roxas' ice cream.

I'm sure you can make sense of just about any "stupid" scene from the games you listed in the post I was responding to, as well.

Doesn't make them any less stupid, or the writing any less cringeworthy.

My bad, everything post-KH2 is indistinguishable to me.
When I was talking stupid I was more talking conceptually ****ed from the get go to the point where I question why they even attempted to bring it up.

Case in point:

Or things they pull out of their butts like "Sonic using Chaos Control with a fake Chaos Emerald despite only ever seeing Shadow doing it once". Or the "Replica Monado" in Xenoblade.

I personally didn't find that ice-cream line cringeworthy at all though. It made complete sense for him to say that considering what happened in a cutscene at the start of 358/2 Days, and just his character development in general. It's not like he really had a grasp on the concept of death to begin with, people say **** like that when they lose someone and can't really comprehend it.

I'm pretty sure Anna wasn't really talking about this anyway, I think she more meant the general lore. Which isn't actually that stupid or hard to follow.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
it's a standard UI design guideline

Not a fan rule. They've designed the UI with that overscan safety in mind, they aren't going to mess that up because that'd be incredibly unprofessional.
Well that sucks, but I think I'll show it to Gamexplain anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since you just lost Khoru and Teh Epic Anna...

who is living? So many friends died today... looks like no one fought for them :^(

z-zoro senpai you've quoted so many of my posts i love you senpai chan
From the original team(as in, before Gardenia), I only have Oni and Sonomura
I got Megalon and you recently
And now Wedl(Chansey) and recently caught Naoshi(Barboach)
Doubting my count skills? uh?
Big Boss
Venom Snake
Solid Snake
Solidus Snake
Liquid Snake/Ocelot
That's 5 to you,good day sir.

It is because get boring after meeting the third "anti-war" ninja cyborg and the second sniper wolf on the series.
I didn't know Venom Snake was a thing lol

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Because I want to see what they think of it.
theyre likely already to shown it and you're just only giving the leakers what they want

come on, there isnt even a debate for this anymore. just because theyre popular YTers doesnt mean they know everything.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
I didn't know Venom Snake was a thing lol
He was a decoy from Big boss on the original metal gear and evocate Fight club shenanigans on MGS V.

The worst scene on Metal gear for me,was the one where they take a crap on every single character from MGS 3 on MGS 4.

D

Deleted member

I fought a guy that says he wants to be a Pikachu
Pokemon has a Pikachu-kin trans traine-- I mean, Pokemon
And they say Undertale is progressive...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
When I was talking stupid I was more talking conceptually ****ed from the get go to the point where I question why they even attempted to bring it up.

Case in point:

Or things they pull out of their butts like "Sonic using Chaos Control with a fake Chaos Emerald despite only ever seeing Shadow doing it once". Or the "Replica Monado" in Xenoblade.

I personally didn't find that ice-cream line cringeworthy at all though. It made complete sense for him to say that considering what happened in a cutscene at the start of 358/2 Days, and just his character development in general. It's not like he really had a grasp on the concept of death to begin with, people say **** like that when they lose someone and can't really comprehend it.

I'm pretty sure Anna wasn't really talking about this anyway, I think she more meant the general lore. Which isn't actually that stupid or hard to follow.
Super Mario Sunshine's issue was bad voice acting. The plot was simplistic and made sense; even the part about Peach questioning whether or not she's Bowser Jr's mother. Considering this is a series where babies are canonically delivered to parents via a stork, who's to say it was a complete impossibility?

You seem to be incapable of grasping what the problem with the ice cream scene was. Whether or not it made sense or was in-character was irrelevant. The scene itself was stupid and impossible to take seriously.

Being in-character doesn't make it a good cutscene. It just means that the character himself sucks. They didn't need to write him as a naive manchild. It's the direction they went with, and the ice cream scene is a consequence of that decision.

Errr......what?

I'm not sure what that has to do with there being multiple Soras, Rikus, and Kairis in Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp, Naoshi didn't even last a single battle
Apparently, Cleffas have Magical Leaf
And now Wedl has to avenge him
He has 8 attack and the only damaging move he knows os Double Slap
This is gonna take a while...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More Leaks
I want to believe.
I want to believe soooooo much.
But alas...I cannot.

No but seriously could you imagine if Sakurai's just like, "Oh and here's Chrom. I changed my mind on him." I wouldn't even care about the inevitable salt that would spew from every orifice of the Internet, I'd love it. Smash 4 would finally have the absolutely-perfect in my eyes (though Fleming would be a nice added bonus, so too would the Inklings :p).

Honestly I'm curious. Say Sakurai revealed two new characters in forty-something hours: one of your personal favorites, and Chrom. Reaction? :p

On another note, what the hell. Seafoam green for Chrom's background color? He's way more of a dark teal IMO.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Your reaction:

Dataminers probe into the servers and characters turn up as:

Nice
Try
Suckers

Just to fool the masses until Tuesday.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
wait

Considering this is a series where babies are canonically delivered to parents via a stork, who's to say it was a complete impossibility?
are you trying to say that that's NOT how babies are born? I thought I WAS delivered from a bird???? How else would I had gotten here???

this seems like it'd go on yahoo answers

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
@Zoroarking

how many people you gonna get killed in one day, honey?

JUST got Naoshi but now they dead. He deserves an apology. And Wedl prolly gon die too.

I swear, if I die my spouse better live to avenge me. And visit my grave on a daily basis. And put new flowers every month...

D

Deleted member

I want to believe.
But alas...I cannot.

No but seriously could you imagine if Sakurai's just like, "Oh and here's Chrom. I changed my mind on him." I wouldn't even care about the inevitable salt that would spew from every orifice of the Internet, I'd love it. Smash 4 would finally have the absolutely-perfect in my eyes (though Fleming would be a nice added bonus, so too would the Inklings :p).

Honestly I'm curious. Say Sakurai revealed two new characters in forty-something hours: one of your personal favorites, and Chrom. Reaction? :p

On another note, what the hell. Seafoam green for Chrom's background color? He's way more of a dark teal IMO.
Chrom and Wonder-Red?
On a scale from "eww Gematsu" to "Holy crap, Robin! Gematsu is dead!" I'd say the latter
@Zoroarking

how many people you gonna get killed in one day, honey?

JUST got Naoshi but now they dead. He deserves an apology. And Wedl prolly gon die too.

I swear, if I die my spouse better live to avenge me. And visit my grave on a daily basis. And put new flowers every month...
Don't worry
Leafeons have great defenses
And you have best husbando so I'm not gonna put you two in any risks

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I want to believe.
But alas...I cannot.

Hm, Inklings and chrom, I'd be down for it. If Chrom somehow got in then good for him, he's had a tough time in smash, and deserves a shot. Inklings would just be as hype as it could get for me since they have so much potential.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Super Mario Sunshine's issue was bad voice acting. The plot was simplistic and made sense; even the part about Peach questioning whether or not she's Bowser Jr's mother. Considering this is a series where babies are canonically delivered to parents via a stork, who's to say it was a complete impossibility?

You seem to be incapable of grasping what the problem with the ice cream scene was. Whether or not it made sense or was in-character was irrelevant. The scene itself was stupid and impossible to take seriously.

Being in-character doesn't make it a good cutscene. It just means that the character himself sucks. They didn't need to write him as a naive manchild. It's the direction they went with, and the ice cream scene is a consequence of that decision.
Babies are not canonically delivered by storks, it's been established that babies are born in multiple ways in Mario. Yoshis hatch from eggs, Lumas are born from stardust, Rosalina had two biological parents and a brother, the DK family are biologically related, etc.

That whole plot point of Peach potentially being Bowser Jr's mother was completely non-sensical and unnecessary from the get go. If you want to assume storks are the only way a baby can be delivered to two loving parents in Mario, that implies that Peach and Bowser are indeed in love, which introduces the theme of cheating on someone (Mario, as yes, they are actually a couple despite some fans trying to grasp onto that "they're just friends") in a Mario game. If, like pretty much everyone else, you assumed that babies in Mario could be born through sexual reproduction, then you run into the issue of Peach and Bowser having an implied sexual affair. Oh, and the idea of sexual attraction has been lightly addressed in the Mario universe, so it's not like people are weird for jumping to this conclusion. Peach in particular has been used for sex appeal by Nintendo on numerous occasions too, from commercials to how she's portrayed in Smash and some of the Mario spin-offs.

The reason why this whole idea was stupid is because, regardless of how you interpret baby birth in Mario, they are still going dangerously close to bringing up adult themes in a Mario game, to the point where they can do literally nothing with this plot thread other than cop out of it. Which they did, but since they knew they would cop out anyway, why did they bring it up? It's an idea that's literally dead on arrival. It adds literally nothing to the narrative.

This isn't comparable at all to the ice cream scene. Regardless of whether or not you think it's cringeworthy, it still makes sense and adds something to the narrative (i.e. highlighting Roxas' innocence and limited understanding of friendship that was based off when Axel literally said "Friendship is eating ice cream together and laughing without a care in the world", as well as just how much he valued Xion). And while you may be completely cold to the scene, most people literally view this scene as the most emotional, tear-jerking scene in the entire series and perfectly comprehend the existence of that line and see how it adds to the narrative, and it can't be the worst thing ever if that many people connected with it. It has a clear purpose, the symbolism is obvious, and for many people, achieved the emotional impact it was going for. There's nothing stupid or difficult to comprehend about that, nor does it unintentionally bring up themes that are inappropriate for the game's demographic.

Also that manchild comment is just uncalled for since even forgetting the point about him only existing for a year and starting as an empty vessel, Sora (whom he is based off of), is still only 14 years old at this point. The death of a close friend is still a difficult, messed up thing to experience for someone of that age. I could still very much see something like that coming from a regular person in that scenario. That's why so many people connect with the scene.

KH has problems with certain story elements, it's not perfect (no good thing is though), but the ice cream line is as far from that territory as you can get.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So if Nintendo actually put in that face melt thing Burb talked about, and it killed the leakers, wouldn't that put Nintendo in huge trouble?
litl nowon fact about NET NUTRALITY

if u go to website you automagically sign a waver that lets to the domain host to KILL YOU which is y nintendo cant get in trouble

its y i dont allow cookies

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Your reaction:

Dataminers probe into the servers and characters turn up as:

Nice
Try
Suckers

Just to fool the masses until Tuesday.
I would leave my house, drive to the nearest airport, buy a ticket to Japan and board the plane, get off and take a taxi to Sakurai's house, knock on the door, wait for him to answer, and then shake his hand and say
GG Sir GG!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Are we arguing scenes that make sense in context but are baffling otherwise? Square seems to excel in them. Like the infamous laugh from FFX.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Babies are not canonically delivered by storks, it's been established that babies are born in multiple ways in Mario. Yoshis hatch from eggs, Lumas are born from stardust, Rosalina had two biological parents and a brother, the DK family are biologically related, etc.

That whole plot point of Peach potentially being Bowser Jr's mother was completely non-sensical and unnecessary from the get go. If you want to assume storks are the only way a baby can be delivered to two loving parents in Mario, that implies that Peach and Bowser are indeed in love, which introduces the theme of cheating on someone (Mario, as yes, they are actually a couple despite some fans trying to grasp onto that "they're just friends") in a Mario game. If, like pretty much everyone else, you assumed that babies in Mario could be born through sexual reproduction, then you run into the issue of Peach and Bowser having an implied sexual affair. Oh, and the idea of sexual attraction has been lightly addressed in the Mario universe, so it's not like people are weird for jumping to this conclusion. Peach in particular has been used for sex appeal by Nintendo on numerous occasions too, from commercials to how she's portrayed in Smash and some of the Mario spin-offs.

The reason why this whole idea was stupid is because, regardless of how you interpret baby birth in Mario, they are still going dangerously close to bringing up adult themes in a Mario game, to the point where they can do literally nothing with this plot thread other than cop out of it. Which they did, but since they knew they would cop out anyway, why did they bring it up? It's an idea that's literally dead on arrival. It adds literally nothing to the narrative.

This isn't comparable at all to the ice cream scene. Regardless of whether or not you think it's cringeworthy, it still makes sense and adds something to the narrative (i.e. highlighting Roxas' innocence and limited understanding of friendship that was based off when Axel literally said "Friendship is eating ice cream together and laughing without a care in the world", as well as just how much he valued Xion). And while you may be completely cold to the scene, most people literally view this scene as the most emotional, tear-jerking scene in the entire series and perfectly comprehend the existence of that line and see how it adds to the narrative, and it can't be the worst thing ever if that many people connected with it. It has a clear purpose, the symbolism is obvious, and for many people, achieved the emotional impact it was going for. There's nothing stupid or difficult to comprehend about that, nor does it unintentionally bring up themes that are inappropriate for the game's demographic.

Also that manchild comment is just uncalled for since even forgetting the point about him only existing for a year and starting as an empty vessel, Sora (whom he is based off of), is still only 14 years old at this point. The death of a close friend is still a difficult, messed up thing to experience for someone of that age. I could still very much see something like that coming from a regular person in that scenario. That's why so many people connect with the scene.

KH has problems with certain story elements, it's not perfect (no good thing is though), but the ice cream line is as far from that territory as you can get.
Yoshi was trapped in the egg by bowser

Also, rosalina having parents isn't contradicted by the stork, since it delivers the baby to the parents. We didn't see her being birthed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom