• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
As I already mentioned, the Yoshi's Island games aren't really canon as they are constantly retconned. They are all the same story just told differently, and Yoshi's Island DS is not the latest iteration, so it certainly can't be canon.
The Yoshi games have never been retconned at all.

1. Kamek kidnaps the babies who are then taken back home by the stork.
2. Kamek commands his toadies to kidnap all of the babies near Yoshi's island in an attempt to find Mario and Luigi and the other "star children". All babies are then returned home by storks.
3. Stork delivers Mario bros. to wrong house and is intercepted by Kamek once again on the way back to their real parents. The babies are then returned to their actual home.

And once again, even assuming that was the case, the stork has to get the babies from somewhere.
... Are you implying that the stork kidnaps newborn babies and re-delivers them just to have a purpose in life?

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
So, any new leaks over the last few hours? More specifically, anything not yet disproven?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It does have a bearing on it since it proves that A) the stork isn't the end all be all, there are other methods of reproduction, and B) also hints at the fact that storks get these babies from somewhere. It's more likely that the stork is helping orphans find families rather than popping them out of thin air.

I pretty much deem the stork as non-canon at this point though since the Yoshi's Island story has literally been retold multiple times now. Like it's the exact same story but they change elements of it.
Sorry, your headcanon isn't canon. Whether or not you count Yoshi's Island as canon is completely irrelevant.

It doesn't matter where they come from. As far as we know, they do just pop up out of nowhere, because that's the explanation we were given.

It Bowser Jr didn't need Peach to motivate him. He's shown to be a loyal kid to his dad and does anything he asks of him. Bowser didn't need to tell Jr Peach was his mother to motivate him. Every other game shows Bowser Jr co-operating with Bowser just fine, regardless of Peach's involvement, and even in Sunshine, it's quite clear he looks up to his dad. It's a pointless plot thread that added nothing.
I recommend re-watching the end cutscene of Super Mario Sunshine. Specifically, the scene of Bowser and Bowser Jr drifting away.

Because Bowser Jr's words and Bowser's reaction suggest that it's about revenge from post-Sunshine onward.

It And there you show that you don't even get the scene. He isn't crying about ice cream, he's naturally upset by losing his friend. Eating ice cream and having banter is just what they most commonly did together, it's a symbol of their friendship. Having nobody to eat ice cream with equates to him having no friends and being all alone, while also being a literal fugitive to the Organisation.
And you're continuing to show that you don't understand what I'm saying.

It's not about the message they were trying to convey. It's that they chose to convey it in the dumbest way possible. It was a goofy, childish line in a scene that was meant to be serious and heart-wrenching.

It completely killed the mood.

It Peach isn't actually Bowser Jr's mother though. That much is confirmed by the end of the game, Bowser just flat out lied to Jr. That's what I meant by it being a pointless plot thread that added nothing, that they ultimately had to cop out of.
Again, it provided motive. This was Bowser Jr's debut appearance. Clearly, before Sunshine, he had no involvement in his father's plans.

The Peach plot thread is what got him into it. His defeat at the hands of Mario and desire to get him back for it is what drove him to continue.

The ice cream line, meanwhile, did nothing but kill the mood in a serious cutscene.

It On the cheek/forehead, which isn't romantic.

Cheating was potentially introduced in Mario in other areas but that isn't an example of it (and it's no less stupid in those other areas either as it was a clear oversight).
Still not as dumb as the ice cream scene.

It Some of the spin-offs are canon though and introduce elements that stay with the series.

I mean you're trying to say Yoshi's Island is canon and that's a spin-off in itself, even though it makes less sense to be canon than most other ones.
It's literally called "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island".

If it's not canon, neither is Super Mario World.

It As I already mentioned, the Yoshi's Island games aren't really canon as they are constantly retconned. They are all the same story just told differently, and Yoshi's Island DS is not the latest iteration, so it certainly can't be canon.
Who said anything about Yoshi's Island DS?

I said Yoshi's New Island.

It And once again, even assuming that was the case, the stork has to get the babies from somewhere.
You mentioned the Lumas being created from stardust in the previous post.

That's a decent explanation, but the stork pulling babies out of nowhere is too nonsensical?

.....Or a teenager's reaction to his friend's death being to whine about ice cream?

It I mentioned that ZeRo said he voted for Sora on the ballot and that I thought it was cool and that I also did the same.

Cue comments about "KH'S STORY IS STOOPID AND I DONT GET IT" and some other comment about Sora being a replacement for Snake as a "stupid story rep".
You made a comment and people replied with their opinion on it?

Dear lord, it's like you're on some sort of public forum or something! :crazy:

It I then pointed out how various Nintendo games already have way stupider stories anyway,and people got defensive over that, mainly when I brought up the "Mama Peach" fiasco from Mario Sunshine as an example. With people trying to say that isn't stupid because "MUH STORK"
Uhhh....have you completely forgotten how the conversation went?

You: ZeRo said he voted for Sora! He'd be so perfect. <3
Epic Anna: Kingdom Hearts could replace Metal Gear as the "stupid story" series.
You: YEAH WELL NINTENDO GAMES HAVE DUMB STORIES TOO :mad:

Pretty sure you're the one being defensive, dood.

And apparently there is an inherent hate for KH here too which is weird.
I'm sure everyone here has some sort of unpopular opinion. I have a ton of them, I could go on and on about all the things I like or hate that everyone else feels the opposite about. We're talking about a Square Enix franchise, so I'll give an on-topic example: I like Lightning, and the majority of the internet hates her. She's been bashed in this thread before. I've never cried about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

I heard we were talking about Smash Bros X Spongebob Jokes :4pacman:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Alright. I'll guess I'll come in with my actual predictions.

I'm pretty sure about Wolf coming through this week. He's just a safe character that can borrow from Fox and Falco. The dev team could maybe put 4-5 guys in charge of him and have him done relatively fast.

Next up, I gotta go with Inklings. They have a lot of stuff going for them and I honestly think they have the best chance of any newcomers. You got to remember that when the ballot was first a thing, it was at it's peak of popularity with many votes. Around that time, Splatoon had a lot of hype and a lot of people wanted the Inklings in. If my theory on them choosing characters from the ballot around Julyish is true, then I think they have a great shot.

Next, I'm not really sure. It could be between Shovel Knight and Banjo here. I think a lot of Banjo was used for Duck Hunt's move-set though. Him having a costume mirroring Banjo and Kazooie sort of proves that ideology. So that leaves us with Shovel Knight, who I think has a pretty strong chance at this point in time. Indie darling, universally loved, well supported by Nintendo. I think he's got a good chance. Better than most.

Who do I think is NOT getting revealed? You all know I though K. Rool never stood a good chance for this game. But I feel like the nail in the coffin was the Mii Costume. You can argue that it means nothing. But I would bet a lot of money that his inclusion as a costume was a DIRECT result of the ballot results coming in. Sakurai/the dev team probably saw a lot of suggestions for him to be included. They all agreed it wasn't going to happen, then they gave him a costume as a "Here's the best your gonna get" kind of gesture. Shantae? lol no.

Then we got the wildcards. Or the Sakurais. Now call me absolutely insane... I am. I don't really think it's a likely scenario. But we know Sakurai wants to blow us away. And I think we can all agree that the best way to do that would be Ridley. I don't think it is debatable. This man opened with Cloud ****ing Strife. What is he going to end with? At this point Ridley's fate cannot be predicted by anyone. Sure he has a role in game, but there's many factors to indicate that it wouldn't be a problem. Sakurai going back on his word multiple times in the past just makes me think he would suddenly do the same for Ridley.

You release him. You break the internet. It's that simple.

Either way. I'm prepared to be surprised. We know Sakurai has some secrets he is hiding. It'd be too disappointing if all that got announced was Wolf, Inklings, and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Hey guys, I bet the broadcast will just open with Sakurai looking at Source Gaming and saying: I know what you did PushDustIn PushDustIn and I'm coming for you

It then just cuts where Push lives and Sakurai gives Push exclusive 9-Volt DLC
What? You were expecting Sakurai to do something else? Sakurai isn't Reggie remember

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
ITT:

One group talking lovely "predictions" and leaks and whatnot, and two people arguing over established Mario canon. Typical NZ social. Hope a dataminer doesn't break this social overnight.

This is beautiful:
No Mii Gunner. ):

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sorry, your headcanon isn't canon. Whether or not you count Yoshi's Island as canon is completely irrelevant.

It doesn't matter where they come from. As far as we know, they do just pop up out of nowhere, because that's the explanation we were given.

I recommend re-watching the end cutscene of Super Mario Sunshine. Specifically, the scene of Bowser and Bowser Jr drifting away.

Because Bowser Jr's words and Bowser's reaction suggest that it's about revenge from post-Sunshine onward.

And you're continuing to show that you don't understand what I'm saying.

It's not about the message they were trying to convey. It's that they chose to convey it in the dumbest way possible. It was a goofy, childish line in a scene that was meant to be serious and heart-wrenching.

It completely killed the mood.

Again, it provided motive. This was Bowser Jr's debut appearance. Clearly, before Sunshine, he had no involvement in his father's plans.

The Peach plot thread is what got him into it. His defeat at the hands of Mario and desire to get him back for it is what drove him to continue.

The ice cream line, meanwhile, did nothing but kill the mood in a serious cutscene.

Still not as dumb as the ice cream scene.

It's literally called "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island".

If it's not canon, neither is Super Mario World.

Who said anything about Yoshi's Island DS?

I said Yoshi's New Island.

You mentioned the Lumas being created from stardust in the previous post.

That's a decent explanation, but the stork pulling babies out of nowhere is too nonsensical?

.....Or a teenager's reaction to his friend's death being to whine about ice cream?

You made a comment and people replied with their opinion on it?

Dear lord, it's like you're on some sort of public forum or something! :crazy:

Uhhh....have you completely forgotten how the conversation went?

You: ZeRo said he voted for Sora! He'd be so perfect. <3
Epic Anna: Kingdom Hearts could replace Metal Gear as the "stupid story" series.
You: YEAH WELL NINTENDO GAMES HAVE DUMB STORIES TOO :mad:

Pretty sure you're the one being defensive, dood.

I'm sure everyone here has some sort of unpopular opinion. I have a ton of them, I could go on and on about all the things I like or hate that everyone else feels the opposite about. We're talking about a Square Enix franchise, so I'll give an on-topic example: I like Lightning, and the majority of the internet hates her. She's been bashed in this thread before. I've never cried about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This post is all long and drawn out and full of contradictions, and has way too much edge in it for me to bother.

All I will say though is that if you look back at my comment about Nintendo games having stupid stories, I said it half jokingly (meaning the statement is not really untrue but it's not a big deal to me anyway), not with anger, so I definitely wasn't looking for a big argument about it. That came when you stepped in (though that's common).

-------

I took a look at that fake 4chan leak, and while it is obviously fake, I wouldn't mind if we got that sort of content from the actual update.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lots of images are being posted. From now on, please put them inside spoiler tags for our mobile-users.

Like this.

Seriously though Spongebob goes with everything, even beyond Smash. :p

Soul.

Would it be funny if instead of all these characters we got Pichu

Like, I know no one really wants it in because "lol ****ty version of Pikachu" and stuff but man it would be funny.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Then we got the wildcards. Or the Sakurais. Now call me absolutely insane... I am. I don't really think it's a likely scenario. But we know Sakurai wants to blow us away. And I think we can all agree that the best way to do that would be Ridley. I don't think it is debatable. This man opened with Cloud ****ing Strife. What is he going to end with?
.............Is this a joke? Please tell me it is.

I thought you finally moved on from the tinfoil hat Ridley conspiracies. He's been disconfirmed at least six times now.

At this point Ridley's fate cannot be predicted by anyone.
Sure it can.

Myself and many others predicted he'd be a stage boss.

Y'know, since that's what the caption on the first Smash Direct told us.

Sure he has a role in game, but there's many factors to indicate that it wouldn't be a problem.
Name one example of a boss character in Smash who's also playable in the same iteration.

Sakurai going back on his word multiple times in the past just makes me think he would suddenly do the same for Ridley.
I hope number 7 isn't as disappointing for you as number 6 was.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
He said he wouldn't reveal anything prematurely. (Example; Mario Maker costumes :4pacman:)
He's still gonna datamine. :4pacman:
I meant datamine and then leak the details. Does this mean he will datamine but keep it to himself?
If he did, I honestly think he will just datamine and find whatever he finds to himself rather than tell everybody.
Ah I see, and hope so. Although if he did say it's got some good things coming without telling us what, then that wouldn't be to bad imo.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

I thought you finally moved on from the tinfoil hat Ridley conspiracies. He's been disconfirmed at least six times now.

Sure it can.

Myself and many others predicted he'd be a stage boss.

Y'know, since that's what the caption on the first Smash Direct told us.

Name one example of a boss character in Smash who's also playable in the same iteration.

I hope number 7 isn't as disappointing for you as number 6 was.

I thought it was made relatively clear with the "I don't think it's a likely scenario" wording I used.

I was just saying that if Sakurai wanted to throw a surprise our way and go out with a bang that would undeniably be the best way to do it. No where did i say it was happening. In fact, I made it more clear that it likely wasn't.

I can't tell if you're looking for reasons to get upset with me but you know I've moved on from that. You're still pretty proud of the whole scenario. It's not a big deal man. I think you got to chill out a bit.

You're a smart guy, you just need to calm down a bit when it comes to these situations.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I bet the broadcast will just open with Sakurai looking at Source Gaming and saying: I know what you did PushDustIn PushDustIn and I'm coming for you

What? You were expecting Sakurai to do something else? Sakurai isn't Reggie remember
And then Reggie comes in and takes down Sakurai all Akuma-like

to tell Push that he's firing Bill for mentioning that Isabelle might be a perfect choice over *insert ballot character here* :p

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
This post is all long and drawn out and full of contradictions, and has way too much edge in it for me to bother.

All I will say though is that if you look back at my comment about Nintendo games having stupid stories, I said it half jokingly (meaning the statement is not really untrue but it's not a big deal to me anyway), not with anger, so I definitely wasn't looking for a big argument about it. That came when you stepped in (though that's common).
I was actually enjoying this debate. I'm a bit disappointed in this cop-out response, and even more disappointed that you had to resort to petty shots like "ur bein edgy" and "u fight with ppl all da time".

You let me down, man. :urg:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As a Wii Fit Trainer main, I'm slightly offended....
I could see that, but I'll be honest, any time I've faced them online it's been nothing but spam, so it made sense to me. A lot of them seem to charge up the down b and then either spam salute the sun or the soccer ball move from the edge of the stage.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Wait...

Con0rrr is producing conspiracy theories about Ridley.

Said deconfirmations of Ridley have happened six times.

And when you take 6 divided two...

IT'S STARTING TO ALL MAKE SENSE NOW
:troll:

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why is there an argument over the canon of a franchise that was confirmed to not have a canon by the creator?

And more importantly, what's with the argument over seriousness in a franchise built around Disney and Final Fantasy?

When you have Goofy interacting with Cloud, ice cream should be the last thing that makes things silly.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

I thought it was made relatively clear with the "I don't think it's a likely scenario" wording I used.

I was just saying that if Sakurai wanted to throw a surprise our way and go out with a bang that would undeniably be the best way to do it. No where did i say it was happening. In fact, I made it more clear that it likely wasn't.

I can't tell if you're looking for reasons to get upset with me but you know I've moved on from that. You're still pretty proud of the whole scenario. It's not a big deal man. I think you got to chill out a bit.

You're a smart guy, you just need to calm down a bit when it comes to these situations.
I'm not angry. Just disappointed that you haven't learned anything from the shadow theories and the connectivity nonsense.

And I'm not sure what pride has to do with anything, either. The whole Ridley thing was never about who's right and who's wrong for me. It was about a character I love being turned into a laughing stock thanks to a chunk of the fandom being unable to accept reality.

My goal was give out red pills to the Ridley supporters. Considering the fact that I failed, there's not much to be proud of. :laugh:

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Like 90% of Smashboards is expecting Wolf, Inklings and Shovel Knight.
Now I'm sure none of them will happen :191:
I think Shovel Knight's expectation has died down alot since Cloud's reveal. I'm not so sure there's a majority there anymore.

Would it be funny if instead of all these characters we got Pichu

Like, I know no one really wants it in because "lol ****ty version of Pikachu" and stuff but man it would be funny.
I'd rather not have TheSpitefulWolf in the General DLC thread be proven right all along. He's been insisting that all that's left is Cloud + Wolf + Pichu and frankly just not being nice when people argue against that thinking. He thinks Pichu will make it just because Roy did and Melee Veteran/Brawl Veteran/3rd Party Newcomer is going to be a pattern because of the one time we got Roy, Lucas, and Ryu :S

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Why is there an argument over the canon of a franchise that was confirmed to not have a canon by the creator?

And more importantly, what's with the argument over seriousness in a franchise built around Disney and Final Fantasy?

When you have Goofy interacting with Cloud, ice cream should be the last thing that makes things silly.
Because my the story obviously goes deeper than it seems.

My Mario Canon makes sense. James. It does.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yet another leak:
I'll be brief with this. I was recently visiting a friend who is associated with Nintendo (not working there, but still associated). In addition to Cloud, three characters, and one new masterpiece (I think that's what they're called) as well as three stages excluding Midgar.

The New characters are Isaac from Golden Sun, Inklings, and Wolf from Star Fox. All based off recent designs, and Wolf based of Star Fox Zero. Isaac uses magic for his specials, and uses a sword for most of his standard attacks as well as a mix of magic and swordplay for his smash attacks. Wolf is mostly unchanged from Brawl. Inklings have a weird mechanic with ink that allows them to duck for a while under the Ink, though they take more damage when in ink.

The stages coming are New Pork City, that Star Fox stage from 64, and Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG. New Pork is mostly unchanged (though there are a few chimeras from Mother 3 other than the Ultimate Chimera), Star Fox stage from 64 is unchanged, and Forest Maze is somewhat like the Subspace Emissary battle arena thingy.

The Masterpeice is Mother 3, though it is renamed to Earthbound 2: Fall of the Pig King
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/320071373

Spot the odd thing out here...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm not angry. Just disappointed that you haven't learned anything from the shadow theories and the connectivity nonsense.

I'm not proud of anything. The whole Ridley thing was never about who's right and who's wrong for me. It was about a character I love being turned into a laughing stock thanks to a chunk of the fandom being unable to accept reality.
I don't see how me specifically saying that it wasn't likely to happen is somehow me still "Not learning anything". I really do not see where that conclusion comes from.

If merely suggesting an idea is an issue. Then please, feel free to continue.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Hopefully that doesn't happen or else everyone will know my terrible addiction...

To information!
And coffee
Oh and can't forget--

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Pretty much everything regarding the original characters is serious.

I don't see how me specifically saying that it wasn't likely to happen is somehow me still "Not learning anything". I really do not see where that conclusion comes from.

If merely suggesting an idea is an issue. Then please, feel free to continue.
The fact that you even came up with such a scenario tells me that you haven't let go. Whether you deemed it unlikely or not is besides the point.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
you know,not surprised we somehow managed to to take sora to mario canon

Sorry if it seems like i'm getting on your case alot.But i'm telling you this joke out lived its course...a year ago
I'm getting really sick of you bashing all my posts. Why don't we talk about something else like whether or nor howtobasic would make a good DLC character.

No its not a joke, if you want to save him you must watch how to style your hair like Donald Trump.:awesome:
Hopefully that doesn't happen or else everyone will know my terrible addiction...

To information!
And coffee
Oh and can't forget---
EGGS!
Did I guess correctly?:awesome:

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Burb loves Ridley?

Well, you learn something new everyday.
Yet another leak:
I'll be brief with this. I was recently visiting a friend who is associated with Nintendo (not working there, but still associated). In addition to Cloud, three characters, and one new masterpiece (I think that's what they're called) as well as three stages excluding Midgar.

The New characters are Isaac from Golden Sun, Inklings, and Wolf from Star Fox. All based off recent designs, and Wolf based of Star Fox Zero. Isaac uses magic for his specials, and uses a sword for most of his standard attacks as well as a mix of magic and swordplay for his smash attacks. Wolf is mostly unchanged from Brawl. Inklings have a weird mechanic with ink that allows them to duck for a while under the Ink, though they take more damage when in ink.

The stages coming are New Pork City, that Star Fox stage from 64, and Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG. New Pork is mostly unchanged (though there are a few chimeras from Mother 3 other than the Ultimate Chimera), Star Fox stage from 64 is unchanged, and Forest Maze is somewhat like the Subspace Emissary battle arena thingy.

The Masterpeice is Mother 3, though it is renamed to Earthbound 2: Fall of the Pig King
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/320071373

Spot the odd thing out here...
That sounds terrible :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom