• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As for Chrom....it originally seemed like he was on the Pac-Man boat (Deemed inevitable, but not really wanted), but after his disconfirmation and the start of the ballot, he seems to genuinely be popular and wanted.

Not so much on Smashboards, but in other communities. On Tumblr, he's among the absolute most wanted.
Can confirm. It's not even just Tumblr; he was, and still is, a really wanted character, despite his current situation. Pretty much the only communities that view him with a mixed-to-negative "expected, not wanted" light are the perceived "hardcore" Smash speculation communities like here and parts of GameFaqs. No clue about Gaf, but who cares about Gaf? :p

But yeah, basically it just goes to show just how much general perception of certain characters changes from place to place. It's kind of cool, really. Almost like completely different mini-subcultures within a slightly larger subculture. Honestly I think that makes certain characters' perceived odds seem inflated due to communities viewing their highly subjective "odds" through a narrow lens, but that's another discussion entirely.

...I rambled a bit there. :p

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You wanna talk hitboxes, how about my boy Mewtwo.

Dude's been out since April and I'm still whiffing tail attacks.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I also mentioned other reasons that I thought his chances weren't completely shot, but apparently you ignored those.

It's not "fan rules being broken." I don't believe in fan rules. It's about what Sakurai has said and done and the conclusions I draw from that.
Umm, I don't think you understand what I meant.

You said it was because Roy got in despite all the things people thought were holding him back. The things that held Roy back were fan rules.

I'm not saying you believe in fan rules. It's just the opposite: Roy getting in broke a lot of fan rules (as did Ryu; he got in despite the fan belief that each third party could only have one character), and Ridley getting in would, too.

I've never seen or heard Sakurai say anything that helps Ridley's chances, though. On the contrary, he flat out said he wouldn't work as a playable character.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Hopefully that doesn't happen or else everyone will know my terrible addiction...

To information!
And coffee
Oh and can't forget--
@PushDustIn Push? Push, come in? Push!!

why'd you cut off there Push?
*Peeks in the general DLC thread*

Sigh. Givin' the, like, three of us that actually want Pichu back a bad name. Also, wow, I thought Geno arguments got heated here.
I want Pichu back too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I don't hate Geno by any means and wouldn't complain if he were in Smash, I have to question what makes him so special compared to other third party characters.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You wanna talk hitboxes, how about my boy Mewtwo.

Dude's been out since April and I'm still whiffing tail attacks.
:4palutena: is the worst with it aside from Mewtwo.

Home girl can't hit her F-Smash for **** and it keeps blowing people away when it clearly show its can hit them. Then her F-Air and her counter.

Oh lord that counter

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
That thread is disgusting, there are like 3 or 4 people who only post bad arguments and insults, I don't know why they are not banned yet.
Well, one was banned today, again.
that thread has been quite bad historically.

I stopped to check it regularly a long time ago because of 2 reasons. 1: it;s the worst attempt to get supporters which is what I was trying to do when I got OP of the paper amrio thread and second: no matter who you support you will become very disappointed and almost irritated when reading the posts because they are really either rude or downright illogical.

Nothing contributes to an actually decent conversation :( it is very rare that it was fun to post there....

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I hope Zelda's lagning kicks (lighting kicks, fair and bair, heh) receive a bigger hitbox in the next patch...

The hitbox is so small and the position so weird, and the sourspot does like 0 knockback and like 4% damage, c'mon, with or without magic it's still a flying kick...

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Interviewer: But that means Awakening’s release schedule was pretty fortuitous.

Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.

Interviewer: Was Lucina in a similar situation?

Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.

Last edited:

AreJay25

I think Mewtwo and the Z-Axis are having some sort of affair lol :smirk:
Well they need to break up soon. :p

:4palutena: is the worst with it aside from Mewtwo.

Home girl can't hit her F-Smash for **** and it keeps blowing people away when it clearly show its can hit them. Then her F-Air and her counter.

Oh lord that counter
F-Smash is pretty dumb, yeah. And the windbox isn't even that great...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Also, Samus's missiles, God, they are terrible.
Slow, with low priority and weak.

OMG! A missile is coming to my face!, I think I'm going to punch it, hey it worked, it exploded and I'm fine!

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I've never seen or heard Sakurai say anything that helps Ridley's chances, though. On the contrary, he flat out said he wouldn't work as a playable character.
And as I stated, Ridley "being Ridley" I believe to be his biggest obstacle. But there is one thing that Sakurai said that theoretically helps Ridley's chances, and I mentioned this: that the remaining DLC would be fanservice.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
While I don't hate Geno by any means and wouldn't complain if he were in Smash, I have to question what makes him so special compared to other third party characters.
That's my main issue with him, too.

The fact that I'm almost always involved in the arguments about him might lead people to think I hate him, but it's more that I don't care about him and don't see why he should get in over all the other potential Mario rep or Square character who are more popular and relevant than he is (and there is a lot in both categories).

And as I stated, Ridley "being Ridley" I believe to be his biggest obstacle. But there is one thing that Sakurai said that theoretically helps Ridley's chances, and I mentioned this: that the remaining DLC would be fanservice.
He also said he's aware of the fan demand for Ridley in the same article where he said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That's my main issue with him, too.

The fact that I'm almost always involved in the arguments about him might lead people to think I hate him, but it's more that I don't care about him and don't see why he should get in over all the other potential Mario rep or Square character who are more popular and relevant than he is (and there is a lot in both categories).

He also said he's aware of the fan demand for Ridley in the same article where he said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character.
I honestly wish I knew what made Geno soo special back in the Brawl days. I remember that he had one of the largest support threads back on NSider1/2 for Brawl, and yet, I can't really remember why 'him' specifically. I mean, wouldn't Mallow work just as well? What made Geno soo special that he garnered such a following I wonder?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I honestly wish I knew what made Geno soo special back in the Brawl days. I remember that he had one of the largest support threads back on NSider1/2 for Brawl, and yet, I can't really remember why 'him' specifically. I mean, wouldn't Mallow work just as well? What made Geno soo special that he garnered such a following I wonder?
I don't get the idea that SMRPG even warrants a playable character.

I'm not even against the idea of SMRPG getting some representation. I just think it would be better in music, trophy, or even stage form. We already have Mario, Bowser, and Peach on the roster, and the latter even has a SMRPG reference in her moveset.

The official DLC thread is so bad. It's all rage and anger and personal attacks. It was good back before it was moved out of the character forums but a bunch of raging members all joined at once. . . It got so bad I quit with a big ole rant.

Good thing I have my character group if I want to talk characters. Not nearly as much rage there an 0 attacks. :shades:

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Which was also before DLC was a thing.

Whether you agree or not, do you at least understand the logical reasoning behind my beliefs? That's all I'm going for here.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Which was also before DLC was a thing.

Whether you agree or not, do you at least understand the logical reasoning behind my beliefs? That's all I'm going for here.
I wasn't even asking for a debate, I just wanted an explanation behind the connection between Roy and Ridley.

There's not much reason to continue this, regardless.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I was planning to post the GIF at 2PST tomorrow but I chose to not wait because there is a chance that we could have leaks on our hand so I decided to release it early for everyone to enjoy it! :D

It's last countdown for Smash Bros 4 so it was nice to know some people here. It was fun!

Hopefully I would be around for next Smash! :D

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The official DLC thread is so bad. It's all rage and anger and personal attacks. It was good back before it was moved out of the character forums but a bunch of raging members all joined at once. . . It got so bad I quit with a big ole rant.

Good thing I have my character group if I want to talk characters. Not nearly as much rage there an 0 attacks. :shades:
It's also some of the reasons why the Rate Their Chances thread for so horrible. Mostly due to rehashed topics and the sometimes stupid people in those threads acting like assholes.

Shroob

Sup?
I was planning to post the GIF at 2PST tomorrow but I chose to not wait because there is a chance that we could have leaks on our hand so I decided to release it early for everyone to enjoy it! :D

It's last countdown for Smash Bros 4 so it was nice to know some people here. It was fun!

This gif.... it plays with my heartstrings.

AreJay25

Just a reminder, they already started that long maintenance period that was supposed to begin on Monday.

So if you're trying to go unspoiled, I'd suggest proceeding with caution from this point forward.

Shroob

Sup?
Just a reminder, they already started that long maintenance period that was supposed to begin on Monday.

So if you're trying to go unspoiled, I'd suggest proceeding with caution from this point forward.
I'm in for the long haul.

If there are leaks, let them come. I am prepared.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This is the Doomsday Zone from here on out

Watch I'll wake up and find no Dixie and Wolf. I never got salty about DLC until then

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Yeah if I don't see anything I like on Tuesday I'm probably out of here since I really won't have much to do, and most of the people I hang out with will most likely go too.
I'll be back for smash 5 speculation, unless I'm directing the game that is.;)

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Uh, cool. You didn't answer my question, though.
I understand what you're getting at. I can't say I see the logic, though, because I don't think it's a very logical theory.

Close enough?

And does it really matter, anyway? I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. We'll probably have forgotten this discussion by the time the presentation ends and Ridley's still just a boss

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It's weird seeing Push's stuff all over my facebook feed, but awesome at the same time! haha. He's famous now :-0 (Well not just him, he's just the one I know the best out of the members)

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
I find it funny people still try to reason which character will get in based on whatever "proof" there is. Sakurai as any one of us does not follow any set of rules to add whatever he pleases or deems worthy. So if he wants to add something already in the game like mewtwo and lucas he will.

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I welcome any leaks. I enjoy reading them. I'm hoping for a crap load of the tomorrow too be they fake or not.

It's not like I'll be able to watch the direct live anyway since I'll be at work.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I find it funny people still try to reason which character will get in based on whatever "proof" there is. Sakurai as any one of us does not follow any set of rules to add whatever he pleases or deems worthy. So if he wants to add something already in the game like mewtwo and lucas
I think we call this reasoning speculation :3 We like to try and predict Sakurai via the small amount of facts that we can gather.

Ridley and Wonder Red being the first 2 just makes me sad.

RIP the dreams

1 day is too long to wait

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I find it funny people still try to reason which character will get in based on whatever "proof" there is. Sakurai as any one of us does not follow any set of rules to add whatever he pleases or deems worthy. So if he wants to add something already in the game like mewtwo and lucas he will.
I think Sakurai's own words are as solid as proof can possibly get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom