• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
People seem to ignore how damn expensive the Smash DLC has been. I mean, it hasn't even been that much content for upwards of $50 dollars total so far.

I just find it funny that games like Destiny are torn apart for having $20 DLC but everyone is so happy abouy the Smash pricing. But hey, I get it. It's Smash.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Like what he said about villager back then?
It took one game for him to change his mind about Villager.

Ridley has been a boss twice, and we've heard him say that Ridley won't work as a playable character as recent as post-launch SSB4.

Not to mention the differences between the statements. He said Villager was dropped from Brawl because he didn't want to use characters that can't fight. He flat out said Ridley wouldn't work, as the limitations of a fighter would result in Ridley not feeling like Ridley. It's a case of "They could work, but I chose not to use them" vs "I can't make him playable. It wouldn't work".

No, I don't think he's changed his mind in the past 12 months. If he didn't try to work through the issues back during development when the Ridley supporters were at their loudest, I don't think he's going to decide to try him out now, when the fandom is a shell of its former self.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
People seem to ignore how damn expensive the Smash DLC has been. I mean, it hasn't even been that much content for upwards of $50 dollars total so far.

I just find it funny that games like Destiny are torn apart for having $20 DLC but everyone is so happy abouy the Smash pricing. But hey, I get it. It's Smash.
Well see, the difference between Smash and Destiny is bias.
We'll be more than happy to crap on someone else for doing DLC. But never, ever, make fun of Sakurai's heavenly deeds. Otherwise you'll be mauled to bits.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

The thing about Destiny is that its story is basically put behind a huge paywall. As someone who has played Destiny, the game has basically no story, and feels incredibly bare bones. The Taken King was great, but the other DLC packs were just awful.

Smash doesn't feel bare bones, even without the DLC.

Also, it's Activision, they deserve all the hate they get.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Japan had Galaxy 1 on the eShop for months, I don't know why the US is only getting it now lol

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
It took one game for him to change his mind about Villager.

Ridley has been a boss twice, and we've heard him say that Ridley won't work as a playable character as recent as post-launch SSB4.

No, I don't think he's changed his mind in the past 12 months. If he didn't try to work through the issues back during development when the Ridley supporters were at their loudest, I don't think he's going to decide to try him out now, when the fandom is a shell of its former self.
As it stands as of now we dont have much proof of how much time it does take a sakurai to change his mind since even if he changed it after brawl or during uprising development, matters not we would never have know until villager reveal.
Anyway my point is nothing is set on stone no matter how unlikely it might be unless shrek of course

Burb

The Absolute Worst

I love DLC. The only time I ever have any sort of issue with it is when it's disk-locked or when the game feels incomplete without it.

As it stands as of now we dont have much proof of how much time it does take a sakurai to change his mind since even if he changed it after brawl or during uprising development, matters not we would never have know until villager reveal.
Anyway my point is nothing is set on stone no matter how unlikely it might be unless shrek of course
Some things are so unlikely that they can justifiably be written off completely.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
This gif.... it plays with my heartstrings.
That's what I'm going for. It's our last hurray for Smash Community so I hope that everyone would be happy with whatever we would get!

Yeah if I don't see anything I like on Tuesday I'm probably out of here since I really won't have much to do, and most of the people I hang out with will most likely go too.
I'll be back for smash 5 speculation, unless I'm directing the game that is.;)
Well, let hope that we would get Wolf (if I remember correctly that you like Wolf!)

Ridley and Wonder Red being the first 2 just makes me sad.

RIP the dreams

1 day is too long to wait
Yeah, Wonder Red really have a lot of moveset potentials but I hope that they would get a chance in future Smash. I'm not huge fan of Wonderful 101 but last 5 chapters were pretty great. I just happens to think that they have a great potential with moveset being uniquely and fun.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Being in Canada, it definitely has been pricey. But I guess I never cared too much since most of the Mii Costumes don't interest me(and really, they aren't necessary) and the characters and stages have been well worth it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was having trouble figuring out why my yokai cam was having different challenges on the same date

It's because the camera updates challenges at 6 AM just like the crank-a-kai

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
I love DLC. The only time I ever have any sort of issue with it is when it's disk-locked or when the game feels incomplete without it.

Some things are so unlikely that they can justifiably be written off completely.
Cloud I think would count as such before that direct
And anyway whats written off or what not depends on who?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Cloud I think would count as such before that direct
And anyway whats written off or what not depends on who?
“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,” Sakurai explained. “There are other icons, too, like Metal Face and the Yellow Devil, which help effectively portray each of their world settings. They go a long way toward deepening the game world, and I think it’s been fun to experiment with.”

^ Something like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Part of me wonders what everyone will talk about after the Broadcast.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Suddenly 14th December

I stopped paying attention to time 10 days ago, thanks X.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm a bit sad that some of you are probably gonna become scarce when all the Smash shinnanigans are said and done, though I understand the reasoning.

As for what we'll talk about after... well its not like Smash is the ONLY thing we talk about. We'll probably just discuss the most recent goings-on as we always do, those goings-on just won't really be about Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

To be fair, I have seen a number of people complain about how Smash DLC has been Nintendo's most expensive run with DLC yet and how they don't seem to provide any cheaper alternatives to purchase them. (just quicker, unless you purchase for both Wii U and 3DS)

Last edited:

ZcK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Calamardo
“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,” Sakurai explained. “There are other icons, too, like Metal Face and the Yellow Devil, which help effectively portray each of their world settings. They go a long way toward deepening the game world, and I think it’s been fun to experiment with.”

^ Something like that.
But he can change his mind right? !! Right!!?

The fact that he can doesnt discard the possibility, but hoping or expecting he will is maybe too much almost like the shadow fiasco.

Not defending ridley position precisely but more of how some Speculation is shot down and the opinion of some are looked down upon by some arguments with this kind of sureness a character chances are 0.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

The Final Hypedown

Note: I didn't make this. It's amazing either way.

Edit: I'm silly and didn't see this last page. Props to

IntelliHeath1

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Yeah someone already posted it here, and also made it.
Also I'm not hyped at all, if anyone's interested I made a list of extremely disappointing predictions about the direct.
you being disapointed?! what a surprise :cool:

seriously tho lets see it that way we can have a pessimistic counter point to the rampant hype

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I understand what you're getting at. I can't say I see the logic, though, because I don't think it's a very logical theory.

Close enough?

And does it really matter, anyway? I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. We'll probably have forgotten this discussion by the time the presentation ends and Ridley's still just a boss
I think that's basically what I was looking for. I'll take it as, "I understand, but I don't agree."

If you didn't want to have this conversation, though, you didn't need to keep responding.

Shroob

Sup?
Watching Etika and @RelaxAlax's new video they did together, they actually found something that was even simpler to debunk the 4chan leak than having to cross-reference music names or EU/NA versions.

The adventure mode button had a super ****ed up side. When you zoomed in on it, the pixels were all bumpy and not smooth.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
okay @[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer] has by far the most hilarious predictions that can 100% never happen
it has made my day to view this

also i realize now that the reason the @ thing didnt work is because he has brackets in his name

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
okay @[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer] has by far the most hilarious predictions that can 100% never happen
it has made my day to view this

also i realize now that the reason the @ thing didnt work is because he has brackets in his name
If you think its hilarious, then without further ado, I'm going to make the most unrealistic prediction for Tuesday
We will get Cloud details and he will be released at the end of the presentation.
Then Sakurai will talk about how he personally sent a CaD to the PM team, and talks about how only his game is perfect and that anyone who plays PM is bad and should be ashamed of themselves.
He then says that Captain Falcon will be removed from the game as punishment, and won't be added back in until every copy of Project M is destroyed.
Next he says that the Ice Climbers will be back as an assist trophy. He says that way you get them on both Wii U and 3DS.
Then he will spoil the entire plot of Xenoblade Chronicles X, only to reveal that he's adding a trophy from the game.
Then he will talk about how much he hates Starfox and says that he actually wanted to remove Falco as well as Wolf, but says he couldn't because cutting 2 characters from a franchise would expose his extreme bias against the series. He also says he won't add Wolf or any other Star Fox character to the game.
Next he talks about how Donkey Kong is a spin off franchise and does not deserve more than 2 reps. He then says he considered making a Krool assist trophy, but said that would be a waste of time, so that's why he went with the mii costume.
He then announces that Doofy the dragon, a character from the SML show, will be a playable character. He then explains how his moveset works.
Next he announces that the ballot winner is Brawl Pit. He will be adding in another version of Pit with all his Brawl moves and Brawl voice.
He then confirms that tripping will return in the update following the direct.
He then says Golden Sun is dead, and that Isaac should die, and explains that by removing his assist trophy, he hopes Isaac becomes more and more forgotten until he's gone.
Finally he announces that Palutena, and only Palutena will be getting a set of "zero suit" alt costumes.
He then says goodbye.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
no...Nintendo defintely cares more about the mario & luigi series way more than they ever did SMRPG...Same goes for paper mario.Your really up playing the importance of super mario rpg
compare SMRPG and both mario paper and mario & luigi seires together when they were first shown/released, there is a big difference, Nintendo cared about SMRPG before the game was even released and they wanted to release way alot of stuffs other than the game and it was very special to have final fantasy and mario games mixed together for the first time.
Uhh, remember a little something; SMRPG WAS RELEASED 2 DECADES AGO.

If you can't even spell Paper Mario right, I can't trust you on anything. Also, you did this whole "toys make it more important thing" in our other argument on this. And they're releasing Paper Mario papercrafts to promote Paper Jam, so the merchandise argument is gone. And who cares? There's literally 3 games to mix Mario and Final Fantasy. It's not as important as you think.

Paper Mario isn't really even a spiritual successor. Mario and Luigi is. Paper Mario is a Mario RPG...with basically nothing else in common with SMRPG.

Now I'm not arguing about this because I'm going to a friends, bye, have fun in your own disbelief.
2 decades and at that time they did something bigger for SMRPG than they did to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi seires when they were first shown.

Papercraft? is that all because SMRPG did bring way more stuff than this do i need to list them?, they are just sports games, its not an RPG that has huge adventure in it and made it feel really like a classic final fantasy games and made some dreams comes true of its time so its still important.

Paper Mario was suppose to be SMRPG2 but square said no wich made the game having big changes and turned to Paper Mario so there is a common with SMRPG such as the seven stars and the star spirits.

Soul.

Perhaps this thread'll go to talk more about all things Nintendo rather than just Smash. Just what I think tho

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When is the update done anyways?

Also Advance Wars has the longest tutorial I've ever seen.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I honestly wish I knew what made Geno soo special back in the Brawl days. I remember that he had one of the largest support threads back on NSider1/2 for Brawl, and yet, I can't really remember why 'him' specifically. I mean, wouldn't Mallow work just as well? What made Geno soo special that he garnered such a following I wonder?
Well there's many reasons. Mario RPG was one of the best RPGs on the SNES, and it left a lasting impression on me and many fans. When it comes to geno, imagine Robin, with a gun instead of a sword. Geno had many magical powers and would have been a unique projectile fighter. Many players thought he had a great moveset potential. Compared to mallow, its more so personality IMO. Mallow was a bit more timid and showed emotion...while Geno seemed confident, skilled, mysterious and well....edgy. On top of that, Geno made a cameo in Mario and Luigi, which came out before Brawl, thus sparking fan interest in him again. Also keep in mind, during the brawl days, the only way to play Mario RPG legally was via a physical copy. I'll be honest when I say that nostalgia did greatly contribute to me wanting Geno back then. After brawl released it seems a lot of fans started to understand the position Geno was in, technically being third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom