• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I only voted for Paper Mario, did a 500 characters votes.

I told this a lot, but just so new people knows, I really tried to make it work and I got that:

looking back, I still think my old slogan "infinite potential" wasn;t as good as the one I changed it to :)
Yeah, I didn't understand the infinite potential slogan. You can use that for tons of characters.

I don't remember my reasoning for voting Paper Mario, but I feel like it was like yours.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Don't overreact...the hell do you expect? You just called me delusional for stating some facts. And guess what, I literally never said they don't do that. I just said they wouldn't do it for Paper Mario.

I hope you don't think they'll make a DLC Newcomer a clone, also. Oh wait, yes you do.
So I didn't even called you delusional... See ? You indeed overeacted.
About making a DLC Newcomer as a clone, I don't think it's possible to say if they will or not.
Probably not. But if they are aiming to add as many requested characters as possible, then yes.
Again, I can't see Dixie being a completely original character anymore.And that's really bad.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Know what would be hilarious...?

If Sakurai confirmed that they took all the people who voted repeatedly and disqualified their votes.

Can you imagine the Salt?
Well then we're probably gonna get some really obscure character, because I'm pretty sure everybody who voted for a popular 1st or 3rd party character voted multiple times. Although if you voted from multiple devices, there's no way to tell.
Also Push do you know who Doofy the Dragon is and why he would be one of the most controversial and worst possible characters?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

If Sakurai confirmed that they took all the people who voted repeatedly and disqualified their votes.

It's a good thing I made sure they were on different devices. :013:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So I didn't even called you delusional... See ? You indeed overeacted.
About making a DLC Newcomer as a clone, I don't think it's possible to say if they will or not.
Probably not. But if they are aiming to add as many requested characters as possible, then yes.
Again, I can't see Dixie being a completely original character anymore.And that's really bad.
Why'd you even bring it up, lol? It was completely unneeded to call people delusional for something that's not even been bought up.
And they're obviously not aiming to. At most they'll add 5 characters, they're not exactly churning them out.
Sorry for Dixie, I guess? Not sure why you keep bringing her up either

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I used different computers and cell phones, so I wouldn't care about that.

And yeah, 500 characters weren't enough, I tried to put the entire OP of the Bandana Dee thread in there, lol.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

Am I the only one who feels like that defeats the purpose of the ballot? You're gathering opinions of different characters, but if you see that there's one person putting in multiple votes for one character, does that really show if the character is wanted by many others?

This is something also regarding online polls. While a character can score high in a poll, I feel like with some of these, it doesn't help since these are the same people who voted in a previous one. Looking back, there would be support threads who post online polls saying to vote for the character. Saying that a character is popular within polls when it can mostly be the same people voting in various polls doesn't really help showing the actual popularity of the character. Look at a character like Shantae for example. Would it be a surprise if her scoring high in certain polls were all from the same people?

I should clarify that if there's a certain character polling high, then it can be taking at first glance that there's a demand for that character (Wolf for an example), which can be true. I just feel like poll's aren't the end all be all of a character's popularity (If that wasn't obvious enough).

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Am I the only one who feels like that defeats the purpose of the ballot? You're gathering opinions of different characters, but if you see that there's one person putting in multiple votes for one character, does that really show if the character is wanted by many others?

This is something also regarding online polls. While a character can score high in a poll, I feel like with some of these, it doesn't help since these are the same people who voted in a previous one. Looking back, there would be support threads who post online polls saying to vote for the character. Saying that a character is popular within polls when it can mostly be the same people voting in various polls doesn't really help showing the actual popularity of the character. Look at a character like Shantae for example. Would it be a surprise if her scoring high in certain polls were all from the same people?
This is exactly my issue with online polling and the way some people did the ballot.

One person saying "PushDustIn should be president" over and over again does not make it a popular opinion. It just makes that one guy loud.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Being honest, not only would I laugh if that did happen, but I can see that happening.
You know what would be even funnier? If Sakurai was just ******* with fans with he said that and they actually counted. We would never know and he could sit back and laugh hysterically.

Sakurai: "That will teach them to leak the pre ballot DLC!"

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This is exactly my issue with online polling and the way some people did the ballot.

One person saying "PushDustIn should be president" over and over again does not make it a popular opinion. It just makes that one guy loud.
I even refrained from saying in my vote that he is requested because that shouldn;t be told, it should be seen. At any case, i only voted to say he would be a good choice, not that he has chances :)

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Why'd you even bring it up, lol? It was completely unneeded to call people delusional for something that's not even been bought up.
And they're obviously not aiming to. At most they'll add 5 characters, they're not exactly churning them out.
Sorry for Dixie, I guess? Not sure why you keep bringing her up either
It's because she is someone who I wanted so much since Brawl...
And people always said "Oh, she is that Diddy with hair", "She will be a Diddy clone, with a guitar"...
So it's kind of equal I was saying "But Paper Mario is PAPER Mario".
Not true, but they can chose this way and make us suffer... I have a friend that was so happy about having Lucina and now don't play her.

I'm a bit sad with DLC's, and character choices for Smash 4.
I read it all over, and I was really kind of stupid with the delusional thing.
I think I'm bringing her up directly from my heart, too.So I'm the one saying sorry.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
My one and only vote went to K. Rool. I decided to be a good boy and play by the rules.

Don't disappoint me Sakurai.
Someone else who played by the rules, eh?
You have my respect.

My sole vote went to Bayonetta. I don't think she stands much of a chance, but I hope my love for her reached the hearts of Nintendo and the NX will have Bayonetta 3. And maybe, just maybe.....she'll find her way to Smash 5 ;_;

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I voted for Wolf and Woody for the Smash Ballot.

I even have an image for the latter to prove it.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I voted only once, and at the very end of the ballot. I voted for 9-Volt. No chance in getting in as DLC but Im hopeful he could have a shot in the next Smash game....especially if WarioWare gets a new game.

Oh and there's a new Sakurai interview Source Gaming is translating. It'll be up either today or tomorrow (for you in Americas).

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I think I voted a lot. Let's see:

Ice Climbers (that was before that one translated SG article)
Inkling
Wolf
K. Rool
Dixie
Sami (twice)
Andy
Layton (twice)

And maybe Neku too, but I can't remember.

The latter four (including Neku) are characters I don't have any faith in, but I could at least show my support.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's because she is someone who I wanted so much since Brawl...
And people always said "Oh, she is that Diddy with hair", "She will be a Diddy clone, with a guitar"...
So it's kind of equal I was saying "But Paper Mario is PAPER Mario".
Not true, but they can chose this way and make us suffer... I have a friend that was so happy about having Lucina and now don't play her.

I'm a bit sad with DLC's, and character choices for Smash 4.
I read it all over, and I was really kind of stupid with the delusional thing.
I think I'm bringing her up directly from my heart, too.So I'm the one saying sorry.
Well, don't worry about it; I'm emotional about my Smash wants too. You were brave enough to say sorry. Hope you get Dixie eventually.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

It's why it's better to see general responses of people's opinion on different characters. Which character is always talked about? Did this character gather positive responses? Did people talk about how interesting this character would be?

These polls don't even regard the mass audience who don't pay attention to these polls and just wait for the DLC to come out. Ryu and Cloud fit this perfectly. They're characters people would recognize and possibly be interested in buying. Characters like Roy and Lucas were most definitely catered towards the hardcore community, though you also have to consider they were in a previous game. I've seen people mention how this DLC is mostly catered towards the hardcore community, which I completely disagree with. DLC is always advertised when it's released (Whenever a wave drops, there's always a message telling you that DLC has dropped) and it needs to appeal to mass audiences. Things like mii costumes and recognizable 3rd parties are something that could entice customers. The Smash Ballot I feel like is something that could get influence from more casual players of the game (As much as some people will say it was more towards the hardcore community).

Edit: Oh hey, 1,000 posts! Never thought I would get this much by the end of year. Well that's nice to see.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ballot votes?

Rayman, Wolf, Dixie, K. Rool, Bandanna Dee, Inkling, Shantae, Bomberman. Yes I was greedy. lol

I put in a single vote for all of those except Rayman, who I voted for twice.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I voted for Pichu and Hakkun for Sutte Hakkun.
I know one has a small chance and the other has little, but I don't mind.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's why it's better to see general responses of people's opinion on different characters. Which character is always talked about? Did this character gather positive responses? Did people talk about how interesting this character would be?

These polls don't even regard the mass audience who don't pay attention to these polls and just wait for the DLC to come out. Ryu and Cloud fit this perfectly. They're characters people would recognize and possibly be interested in buying. Characters like Roy and Lucas were most definitely catered towards the hardcore community, though you also have to consider they were in a previous game. I've seen people mention how this DLC is mostly catered towards the hardcore community, which I completely disagree with. DLC is always advertised when it's released (Whenever a wave drops, there's always a message telling you that DLC has dropped) and it needs to appeal to mass audiences. Things like mii costumes and recognizable 3rd parties are something that could entice customers. The Smash Ballot I feel like is something that could get influence from more casual players of the game (As much as some people will say it was more towards the hardcore community).
This is why a very long and exhaustive vote is much better than 10 small ones.

You just have to consider that they don;t only asks you who you want, they ask why for a reason. To me, this is why you should write as much as you can in there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still don't think the casual consumers are that different than the hardcore ones...

This isn't a black and white thing.

For example, there are a lot of people who I know who barely play video games who say things like "I want Saki in Smash" or "I want Golden Sun 4." or "Dude, when are they gonna make a new Sakura Wars?"

These people know the obscure almost as much as we do.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I focused my vote onto King K. Rool, the only newcomer I really want and actually strongly hope for at this point.

Although Tetra or Dixie would be pretty nice too....

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I voted for Emolga, Paper Mario, and Braixen. Would like to think the fore- and lattermost weren't entirely wasted votes; the Pokémon vote, however large, was probably infinitely fragmented, but hopefully it was at large enough in total for the vets to be reconsidered.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I still don't think the casual consumers are that different than the hardcore ones...

For example, there are a lot of people who I know who barely play video games who say things like "I want Saki in Smash" or "I want Golden Sun 4." or "Dude, when are they gonna make a new Sakura Wars?"

You know that is a good question, when will they make another Sakura Wars?

When are they gonna make another Advance Wars?

When are they gonna make a new Battletoads?

When are they gonna make a new Tetris Attack/Puzzle League/Panel de Pon?

When are they gonna make another Bloody Roa- Wait, I forgot. Konami

When will Sega finally give us back Streets of Rage, Ristar, Skies of Arcadia and new Racing games?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Etika may as well be a free space, the dude literally STREAMS his reaction to Directs, that's as "Immediately" as you can possibly get. :V

...The top right one should be too. :shaker:
One of the two Sakurai spaces ("He says it's the end of DLC" or "He never says it's the end of DLC") is a free spot, too.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

I don't even know why people think casuals won't buy the DLC as much as the hardcore players. You can still enjoy a lot of Nintendo games yet not be super "in" to it. There's definitely people who really like Smash Bros but aren't into it heavily like some of us. I know people who have bought the DLC but aren't that crazy about the game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I voted for Geno, twice
Blastoise
Banjo kazooie
Abraham Lincoln
And
Captain N as a mii costume