• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
this feels weird to not tell my opinion on this as i think last time I did was like months ago :)

There isn;t much point to do that, sure i guess you can argue that he woudn't feel natural and everything that makes him inherently not a clone, but the real thing is if you consider why a clone would be made at all, it;s not really fitting to put him on Paper Mario.

Sakurai made clear once that the making of a clone shouldn't be too much effort to disrupt the work flow of the game, aka it kind have to be straight forward to do it. the problem is take Paper Mario and the only models that could even work is mario and G&w. The later, huge problem: it;s a 3d models, plus, you would have a lot of work to redo the animations so that they are more fluid.

And mario, that actually doesn;t work because to make him look like Paper Mario, you woudl have to have the artstyle, and having the artstyle means you would have to do make sure he would look like a paper and that is not easily done. It would take a good effort, enough to not be much worth as a clone, the worst is they already have dr mario for a clone, why would they even add him? Even playstyle wise it would be not worth it, if you see paper Mario as a clone, there isn;t much that paper Mario can do that is a variation of mario and only that simply because he acts very differently.

TL;DR, i wouldn’t; worry much, it;s hard to see him as a clone where there's already a character that does a pretty good job at that.
like I said my fear is that they make him a Mario clone lol I would love to see him have some of his friends in his attacks ^^.. I wanna see Vivian again lol make her his dodge or something T^T

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The key about this is : Falcondorf.
From what I saw from Smash to this point: Everything can be "adjusted".
Uh, no. They both are large humanoids.
Mario and Paper Mario...Paper Mario is made. of. paper. That's not Ganondorf being a slightly bigger Falcon, that's him being made of a different material and entirely different shape.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There's also the fact that like, adding Paper Mario as a clone of Mario would completely and utterly defeat the purpose of adding him in the first place.

The whole reason you can justify having a third Mario is because he can turn into a paper airplane and wields a hammer and has partners and sticker power-ups.

I mean technically Paper mario and mario have a lot of moves they could both do. Punches and kicks are no problem

It's just completely illogical. They would be recreating 3d animations in 2d. . .err simulated 2d assuming it's a G&W situation.. It really makes 0 sense

Paper mario 100% WOULD not be a clone. If sakurai wanted to go crazy he COULD be though.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I might have to add something about him being mario that honestly, is a proof that even if you keep claiming it doesn;lt matter.

Why paper jam does so much to him then?

because you guys have to realise that it;s not just that his character got a name, but his whole series got merged.

And they really are emphasising heavily how paper Mario simply isn;t the mario. in fact, to me, i don;t even think you can say paper Mario is mario, the best I think is possible to say is it;s a parallel version of him meaning that they are both not the same, but they just have same origins.

And to continue the rebuttal, he got a name, and a trademark that isn;t mario.

Like that argument with paper jam is honestly dead to me, if people are saying that they woudln;t care about his originality, then paper jam would have to be taken out of consideration because playing paper jam would show that, even nintendo tried to show it.

The only legit argument I would say against him is the risk of overkilling the mario franchise. However, i would refute it saying that he is one of the msot requested which could balance it out.

But the another mario argument, you really now need to prove that paper jam would show that to me, it;s now very clear that whatever anyone woudl consider him, nintendo tried to tell they aren;t the same.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I might have to add something about him being mario that honestly, is a proof that even if you keep claiming it doesn;lt matter.

Why paper jam does so much to him then?

because you guys have to realise that it;s not just that his character got a name, but his whole series got merged.

And they really are emphasising heavily how paper Mario simply isn;t the mario. in fact, to me, i don;t even think you can say paper Mario is mario, the best I think is possible to say is it;s a parallel version of him meaning that they are both not the same, but they just have same origins.

And to continue the rebuttal, he got a name, and a trademark that isn;t mario.

Like that argument with paper jam is honestly dead to me, if people are saying that they woudln;t care about his originality, then paper jam would have to be taken out of consideration because playing paper jam would show that, even nintendo tried to show it.

The only legit argument I would say against him is the risk of overkilling the mario franchise. However, i would refute it saying that he is one of the msot requested which could balance it out.

But the another mario argument, you really now need to prove that paper jam would show that to me, it;s now very clear that whatever anyone woudl consider him, nintendo tried to tell they aren;t the same.
Sadly, you can say this with a good explanation all you want, and everyone will try and refute it. Despite Paper Mario being his own character, many fans treat him as not being so. And besides, overkilling the Mario franchise doesn't make sense; it's literally the most famous gaming franchise of all time. If Pokemon can have 6, Mario can have 7.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I just can't see as impossible Paper Mario being a Mario clone.
I think is because what you said (The whole reason to include him) that Doc.Mario was chosen over him.

It's true Falcon and Ganon are similar in size, but you missed my point.
If characters that are so different can be adjusted as they did, why would Paper Mario escape from this possibility ?

You can't deny that the first thing about Paper Mario is not his hammer, and is not his abilities: PAPER Mario.
And in Duck Hunt, everybody is papered, so it's not that hard.
It shoud hurt you exactly like when someone says : "Dixie can be a Diddy clone with 1 guitar move".
Because is a character I care about.

But unfortanely, in both scenarios... The dev team can build them like this (almost clones).
And people will buy it anyway.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Paper Mario can work as a clone just like Isaac can be a Ike clone.

I mean technically possible but what?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You must be literally on drugs if you believe Paper Mario will be clone of anything. It's almost impossible due to how radically different he is.

One he's a flat 2D character like G&W which means he'll have a model but will be made to look 2D and he doesn't share any body size.

You damn idiot and it's the truth if you compare this situation to Falcon/Dorf, a situation where they have similar model sizes.

It's the truth and you must be delusional if you think so

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I gotta say guys
upload_2015-12-12_20-34-7.png

The resemblance between Mario and Paper Mario is uncanny.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just can't see as impossible Paper Mario being a Mario clone.
I think is because what you said (The whole reason to put him) that D.Mario was chosen over him.

It's true Falcon and Ganon are similar in size, but you missed my point.
If characters that are so different can be adjusted as they did, why would Paper Mario escape from this possibility ?

You can't deny that the first thing about Paper Mario is not his hammer, and is not his abilities: PAPER Mario.
And in Duck Hunt, everybody is papered, so it's not that hard.
It shoud hurt you exactly like when someone says : "Dixie can be a Diddy clone with 1 guitar move".
Because is a character I care about.

But unfortunately, in both scenarios... The dev team can build them like this (almost clones).
And people will buy it anyway.
I think it is possible to do him as a clone, but that;s only in theory.

In practice, it is very questionable, so much that it makes you wonder why it woudl make sense int he first place.

And you CAN deny that it;s not only about paper, especially paper jam shows that his personality is VERY different so acting like it to me seems quite important.

he is deeply developped enough to make him as a clone pointless, but i don;t think it;s impossible, just would be very hard to think it would happen.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I voted for the following:

Shantae: 3 times
King K. Rool: Once
Balloon Fighter: Once
Dragon King: Once (Half serious, half kidding)

But I'll be surprised if my wishes get granted.

Soul.

I voted for Wolf. Then Squirtle and Ivysaur.

tbh i ain't even mad if all 3 get in

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My votes:
Waluigi (5)
Bandana Dee / Popo (3 Each)
Balloon Fighter / King K. Rool / Gooey (1)
Yes, I'm serious.
I voted Waluigi 5 times. :4pacman:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The body model is not the only thing a character can take from another ... :4tlink::4link:
And I'm not saying like it is the wisest choice to do.
It's dumb and the result will not be what is expected for the character.
Exactly as another chars at the game.

But if you can't see how much they like to use animations and moves from one character to another ( :4cloud:),..
I'm not the delusional one here.
I used Dixie as a exampe. My all time fav character...
And I still think they can build Diddy with a ponytail.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
:4link::4tlink:?

Aside from a few aerials they're basically the same.
Uh, no, not really. Multiple hits and damages are different, lots of animations are different, sped is different; Toon Link is arguably a semi-clone.

The body model is not the only thing a character can take from another ... :4tlink::4link:
And I'm not saying like it is the wisest choice to do.
It's dumb and the result will not be what is expected for the character.
Exactly as another chars at the game.

But if you can't see how much they like to use animations and moves from one character to another ( :4cloud:), and I'm not the delusional one here.
Are you actually calling me delusional?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My votes:

Sylux(3)
Snake(2)
Rayman(1)
King K. Rool(1 because he was the only character I had remote faith in due to the fanbase's size)

At this point I don't have much faith in them. I certainly won't complain if Sylux is a Mii costume; it's a far better option than nothing.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I been meaning to ask you one quesion since the day i read your posts.Do you think this post at all makes sense and would ever happen
Key words "WHAT IF" it doesn't matter if its impossible or not. Why not answer the question instead of questioning how likely it is.
What if after Sakurai and his team are done, Nintendo hires the PM team to do more DLC. Would you be happy if this happens or not. Would any of you guys want the PM team to work on an official smash game?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I voted for Starman, Dixie Kong, Simon Belmont, Wonder Red, Impa and I made a request for Alternate Costumes

I think I did good. Although I think my Starman vote was wasted in a sense

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Paper Mario can work as a clone just like Isaac can be a Ike clone.

I mean technically possible but what?
Exactly!

I'm going to be honest the idea of making Paper Mario a clone is absolutely dumb imo. Dr. Mario is justifiable but when Paper Mario has a much larger movepool to work with, there would be no reason to make him a clone and I doubt Sakurai would do it to.

If Sakurai were to add Paper Mario he would be completely unique not a clone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I voted for Fiora, Snake, Wolf and Neku. Well, at least we got a Square-Enix rep regardless, I'm quite satisfied with Cloud.

Anyone willing to do a Bingo card for me?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My votes on the ballot went to Wolf, Wonder Red, Inklings, and K rool. Any other votes I did, were for other people's choices, and I don't remember them all off the top of my head.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Only if you don't think they do/like to utilize already made stuff, as animations, for other characters.
If yes... yes! But please ... don't overeact.
Don't overreact...the hell do you expect? You just called me delusional for stating some facts. And guess what, I literally never said they don't do that. I just said they wouldn't do it for Paper Mario.

I hope you don't think they'll make a DLC Newcomer a clone, also. Oh wait, yes you do.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Know what would be hilarious...?

If Sakurai confirmed that they took all the people who voted repeatedly and disqualified their votes.

Can you imagine the Salt?

Chrono.

Funny.

I didn't vote for Wolf because I thought his chances were pretty high enough. Oh how different I used to think back then, now I'm just waiting for him to show up in Smash 5.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
By the way, my votes were in Dixie and K.Rool.
Multiple times at each one.

I voted a single time for Travis Touchdown too, I don't know why.

D

Deleted member

My first and second votes respectively went to Zael and Simon even though I know they both have small chances.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

If Sakurai confirmed that they took all the people who voted repeatedly and disqualified their votes.

I would laugh, even if I voted multiple times. But I feel like so many votes would be disqualified then.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I dislike the idea of another Mario character, but honestly, saying Paper Mario would be a Mario clone is just...silly.

Yeah, they can reuse animations, but that doesn't translate to cloneliness(that's a word now because I say so)...not to mention Paper Mario literally can't reuse Mario's animations like, say, Cloud or Ryu can because of the different aesthetic Paper Mario has. A few similar attacks I can buy, but a full on clone? What...?

Of course, coming from the Salt Lord. :p

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I only voted for Paper Mario, did a 500 characters votes.

I told this a lot, but just so new people knows, I really tried to make it work and I got that:

looking back, I still think my old slogan "infinite potential" wasn;t as good as the one I changed it to :)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Being honest, not only would I laugh if that did happen, but I can see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom