• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'll be honest, while I am a big fan of SSE and I do like many moments in it, I kinda think it was a kind of one and done thing.

Like, I just can't see that darker tone working out or being received by people as well anymore, and then you have to consider some of the newcomers. Some of them wouldn't work too well in a "EPIC ADVENTURE TO SAAAAAAAVE THE WORLD" thing (Little Mac), others just don't work due to their roles and what not (Rosalina basically being god of the universe and also having to travel through space).

Plus, I really want to see Nintendo locations, which SSE didn't really have.
I'd rather just have something more akin to Melee's Adventure Mode.

Are you forgetting the sse vibe Sm4sh has?

Including master core
I don't get a SSE vibe from anything in Smash 4.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you forgetting the sse vibe Sm4sh has?

Including master core
That's different because there is literally no context to it. There is no plot. You just fight a boss that looks a little menacing.

The entire tone of Smash 4 isn't as dark as SSE, it's more like an action packed shonen vibe.

Oh and it's the one game that really drives Smash as a promotional tool, more than previous installments.

I'd rather just have something more akin to Melee's Adventure Mode.
I'd be fine with that too as long as they greatly expand it.

Melee's Adventure Mode was a cool concept in theory but it fell real short in execution.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
That's different because there is literally no context to it. There is no plot. You just fight a boss that looks a little menacing.

The entire tone of Smash 4 isn't as dark as SSE, it's more like an action packed shonen vibe.

Oh and it's the one game that really drives Smash as a promotional tool, more than previous installments.

Melee's Adventure Mode was a cool concept but it fell real short in theory.
"I love smash, but I hate what it has become." - some guy on the internet who's name I can't remember.
Brawl is easily my favorite game in the franchise, aside from the tripping, the awful online, and lack of Mewtwo and Roy, its pretty much perfect. It had a bunch of cool stuff to do on top of the main game. Smash 4 just feels like a multiplayer game, with not as epic other modes to play. Seriously Brawl's extra game modes (Break the targets, boss battles, etc) > Smash 4's extra game modes (Smash tour, target blast, etc).

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Melee's Adventure Mode was a cool concept but it fell real short in theory.
Yeah, there was a lot of filler in it.

What I'd want from a new Adventure Mode would be every stage to be a full side-scrolling level like the ones Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid, and Ice Climber got in Melee. Obviously they wouldn't be able to do it for every series, since there's so many now, but I think limiting it to the franchises from the original Smash 64 would be reasonable.

Smash run, master core
Didn't get a SSE vibe from either of them, outside of some of the enemies and the Smash Run doors.

They felt as different from SSE as Adventure Mode did.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To me, an Adventure styled Smash 4 can work if they still focused on worlds based on those franchises.

What made Melee's Adventure Mode so likeable was the REPLAY value, something SSE lacked due to it being a one and done thing with how long it was and the padding it had. It was fun trying to speed run and perfect the Adventure mode.

Plus with the extra fighters and worlds we have, Adventure Mode in Smash 4 would work perfectly with its own pathways of different worlds and events to face characters and then the boss fights it can do.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

What I'd want from a new Adventure Mode would be every stage to be a full side-scrolling level like the ones Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid, and Ice Climber got in Melee. Obviously they wouldn't be able to do it for every series, since there's so many now, but I think limiting it to the franchises from the original Smash 64 would be reasonable.

Didn't get a SSE vibe from either of them, outside of some of the enemies and the Smash Run doors.

They felt as different from SSE as Adventure Mode did.
I really don't see how you see it that way, but whatever

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Honestly, even though I'm not a fan of the series, the idea of Jibanyan getting in is starting to grow on me, though, if there'd ever be a character who's put in due to recent stardom, I'd much rather have Inklings.
"recent stardom" ....i should point out yokai watch is a few years old

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Actually I think it would be more than feasible to go all out with it in the next iteration of Smash.

Especially if they don't build a new game from the ground up and use Smash 4 as a base.

I posted a mock-up menu tab of it before, but I had this idea for a Smash 4 Adventure Mode before it came out, called "Super Smash World" that would be a fusion of Melee's Adventure Mode and SSE in terms of how it worked, while also taking advantage of Smash 4's customisation elements.

The set up would be simple in that the story involves the characters being at some party or tournament or something held by Master Hand, but then Crazy Hand swoops in and turns everyone into trophies and makes off with the trophies. However, two characters will manage to evade being turned into a trophy and kidnapped. Who will do so is a choice the player gets to make when creating their save file (this is to avoid the issue of players having to play through hours of the mode just to play as their favourites). Beyond that there is no real story to it. It's like a typical Mario game, you are given a motivation and you just play through the game. However, the levels would have things going on in the background to make them feel alive and make it seem like things are happening in the various worlds (e.g. a Peach's Castle level would feature a bunch of panicking Toads trying to deal with Goombas and Koopas).

You would then have a World Map akin to Super Mario 3D World, and you basically just make your way through levels themed after the various games (games with multiple reps get an equivalent amount of stages), with the different characters being scattered across the levels. Most levels end with the character being released from their trophy, but they are corrupted and you have to fight them. Defeat them to make them normal again, and then you recruit them as a party member. You can also use equipment on characters to make them stronger and there would be a much more generous limit on equipment compared to the normal game. There would also be a shop for equipment similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising's weapon shop.

Levels would play out very much like SSE, but each level has it's own unique elements and enemies match their world theme. There would also be collectibles in every level, Smash Run power-ups, etc.

There would also be boss battles, some secret, some not. These would be a mix of Subspace bosses and bosses from the game worlds.

I was also thinking Event Mode could be grouped in with this, having events dotted around the map besides the levels, but you need to have the appropriate characters in your party to tackle them.

It's not gonna happen as DLC for this game obviously, but I'd love something like this for the next game. I would also envision it having both local and online co-op.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually I think it would be more than feasible to go all out with it in the next iteration of Smash.

Especially if they don't build a new game from the ground up and use Smash 4 as a base.

I posted a mock-up menu tab of it before, but I had this idea for a Smash 4 Adventure Mode before it came out, called "Super Smash World" that would be a fusion of Melee's Adventure Mode and SSE in terms of how it worked, while also taking advantage of Smash 4's customisation elements.

The set up would be simple in that the story involves the characters being at some party or tournament or something held by Master Hand, but then Crazy Hand swoops in and turns everyone into trophies and makes off with the trophies. However, two characters will manage to evade being turned into a trophy and kidnapped. Who will do so is a choice the player gets to make when creating their save file (this is to avoid the issue of players having to play through hours of the mode just to play as their favourites). Beyond that there is no real story to it. It's like a typical Mario game, you are given a motivation and you just play through the game. However, the levels would have things going on in the background to make them feel alive and make it seem like things are happening in the various worlds (e.g. a Peach's Castle level would feature a bunch of panicking Toads trying to deal with Goombas and Koopas).

You would then have a World Map akin to Super Mario 3D World, and you basically just make your way through levels themed after the various games (games with multiple reps get an equivalent amount of stages), with the different characters being scattered across the levels. Most levels end with the character being released from their trophy, but they are corrupted and you have to fight them. Defeat them to make them normal again, and then you recruit them as a party member. You can also use equipment on characters to make them stronger and there would be a much more generous limit on equipment compared to the normal game. There would also be a shop for equipment similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising's weapon shop.

Levels would play out very much like SSE, but each level has it's own unique elements and enemies match their world theme. There would also be collectibles in every level, Smash Run power-ups, etc.

There would also be boss battles, some secret, some not. These would be a mix of Subspace bosses and bosses from the game worlds.

I was also thinking Event Mode could be grouped in with this, having events dotted around the map besides the levels, but you need to have the appropriate characters in your party to tackle them.

It's not gonna happen as DLC for this game obviously, but I'd love something like this for the next game. I would also envision it having both local and online co-op.
This sounds pretty cool and could work quite well. It sounds like a really fun mode, and I'd love to play it!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
To me, an Adventure styled Smash 4 can work if they still focused on worlds based on those franchises.

What made Melee's Adventure Mode so likeable was the REPLAY value, something SSE lacked due to it being a one and done thing with how long it was and the padding it had. It was fun trying to speed run and perfect the Adventure mode.

Plus with the extra fighters and worlds we have, Adventure Mode in Smash 4 would work perfectly with its own pathways of different worlds and events to face characters and then the boss fights it can do.
Level where you gotta chase Doc Louis on his bike would be funny af :laugh:

Uh, you get the idea.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Wonderful 101 was practically guaranteed to bomb. Given how Nintendo barely even tried to advertise it, it's clear they knew that from the get-go.

I'd hate that, honestly.

SSE played favorites to the Kirby cast a little too much. I know they're Sakurai's creations and all, but it was a bit annoying to see them basically be the only competent ones while everyone else just runs around and dies over and over again.

If Smash 4 had an SSE-esque story, I'm quite certain the whole thing would be centered around Kid Icarus.
There was also a good amount of character development to Lucas.
Which coincidently came into affect in his Reveal/ Revival Trailer.
Certainly wasn't a bad thing mind you. :p
:4lucas:
EDIT:
Subspace also had quite a few good moments to do with characters.
Like the :4diddy::4fox::4falco: scenes.
:4metaknight::popo:Or the fact when Meta Knight passes Ice Climbers they are determined to beat him to the top of the mountain.
And who can forget the best Introduction in SSE.

First thing he does is the Falcon Punch. :seuss: HYES.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

If they use smash 4 as a base for the next game, then all the cut 1st party vets should come back as well. Then as DLC for the game they could add in cutscenes for all the different scenarios in the adventure mode. If they did this though, you might be forced to play as certain characters for the first few levels of the game, but then get the freedom to choose.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ok. So I beat 3 bosses from Undertale, (at least I considered them bosses. I'm pretty sure there is like an actual thing that decides it or not).

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the gameplay and how I feel about it.

To get right to the point, Undertale is essentially one big puzzle game. You are constantly trying to figure out solutions to problems. The biggest of the problems you have to solve is how to beat enemies without killing them and oh is that not straight forward. You constantly have to do weird things, think outside the box, and bend the rules to get to the solution.

Though, that leads into my two biggest problems with the game. One is that the game can be extremely cheap if you haven't faced the enemy/boss before, and two, the game sometimes bends the rules too far to the point where they break them.

I obviously can't go into specifics because that would be spoiling solutions.

Next is the dodge mechanic. Think Mario and Luigi mix with occasional bullet hell. Enemies have tells and patterns so finding them out is key. Heck, depending on what you say or do can effect their attacks as well. It's interesting as a system.

Oh god that music though. Now admittedly the various location music aren't that engaging to me. They are very atmospheric, which I appreciate it, but I can't find myself going back to them. The various battle music however. Like, am I imagining it, or is there like various different quality of music going on in these tracks? Like I think I hear 8 bit, 16 bit, modern instruments. If it is that, then this is even more amazing.

The overarching plot is also interesting. A good job at keeping me engage.

Anyway, good game so far with faults here and there. It certainly is built on it's surprise factor though. I'm not really complaining about that at least. I can honestly see why people describe it as an experience. Granted, it isn't as big of an experience as people make it out to be. At least not yet from what I played. I'm sure there is still a bunch of new exciting things to discover.

Still, I'm glad that as hyped things go, this is the most game out of all of them. I still respect things like FNAF, but Undertale is something I can get into that isn't just the lore. Like I can actually enjoy it as a game.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Personally, I don't care if the roster gets spoiled for me. This is kind of the spiritual successor for the leaks thread, and I prefer knowing so I don't have to waste time thinking about BS text leaks. I know other people care so I wouldn't say anything, but I don't get what the big deal is. Knowing the characters and seeing them are two different things. I don't consider Ryu, and Roy leaked until their videos came out. It was still hype, and I enjoyed watching them.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't care if the roster gets spoiled for me. This is kind of the spiritual successor for the leaks thread, and I prefer knowing so I don't have to waste time thinking about BS text leaks. I know other people care so I wouldn't say anything, but I don't get what the big deal is. Knowing the characters and seeing them are two different things. I don't consider Ryu, and Roy leaked until their videos came out. It was still hype, and I enjoyed watching them.
Even then Push.
Their Videos and other stuff got Leaked the day before.
:4feroy:Never forget roasted Falco.:4falco:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, the only way I see the characters and stages leaking, is if they update the game before the Direct. If they do, it'll get datamined in the blink of an eye.

Chrono.

Honestly, the only way I see the characters and stages leaking, is if they update the game before the Direct. If they do, it'll get datamined in the blink of an eye.
We just gotta hope no one actually leaks it...

Which is like finding a needle in a needlestack, aka inevitable.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
"I don't consider them leaked until their videos came out"

I just thought of a perfect way to phrase my argument:

Do people only get enjoyment out of being surprised?

It's fine if you do, but personally the experience outweighs the destination for me. It's not about being shocked that Cloud got in--which frankly lasts 1 minute-- it's about appreciating his inclusion and seeing how well he was brought to life that excites me.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
actually, here;s something that woudl show I agree to this.

If ANY legit leak leaked paper mario, I will straight up not consider it because of how doing otherwise would be me fighting against my bias, I would straight up not believe it since the result is that no matter what, seeing him would mind blow me.

but I tend to agree, plus, unless the leak is like EVERY details ever, you don;t know the moveset. And when a character is announced the moveset should be where you are sold or not.

So, I tend to agree with you :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For me personally, every single one of my "favourite reveals" were the ones that weren't highly predicted or leaked, with the exception of Mega Man who had a huge demand everywhere. Being leaked obviously influences predictions. Which is why I personally care. Ones like Rosalina and Cloud that the Smash fanbase just sort of wrote off or didn't seriously think about before the were revealed, were the reveals I enjoyed the most. There is also the principle matter of Sakurai wanting to obviously surprise us (I mean he retweeted a video of Cloud reactions), and I want to see that wish come true. If a leak does happen, I want to remain ignorant to it so I at least can be surprised. Heck, I'm half considering filming a reaction to the Direct since it's the last one.

I mean at this point, I do think the characters we get are going to be highly predicted ones. But I still want to be surprised by what exact ones. Not to mention whatever other content is in the direct. I mean, people forget that there is more to Smash than just the characters and there is still room for them to announce other kinds of content. That's just as cool to me as the characters and I want to be surprised by that too.

You obviously have a different mindset, since you run a site that thrives on the fact Smash speculation exists (IDK the specifics on SG's inception but I think I am right in saying it wouldn't be what it is today without the Smash speculation community - I mean many articles are catered towards that audience), but for me personally, as just a fan of these games and someone who is devoted to gaming in general, I just like being surprised.

I miss the old days when I was a kid and I didn't have access to the internet, and leaks didn't exist from my perspective. That's the one thing I didn't like about Smash 4's hype period - so many leaks, real or fake, just kinda ruined the speculation experience for me, and half of the time, people didn't root for characters because they like them. They just rooted for whoever "made sense".

EDIT: No, being surprised isn't what it's all about, but it makes the whole show more exhilarating to watch. I want to enjoy the presentation just as much as the content it announces.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
We just gotta hope no one actually leaks it...

Which is like finding a needle in a needlestack, aka inevitable.
GameXPlain is someone who I am actively avoiding.
Seeing how this is the Last one I want to get a genuine reaction.
And they have a tendency to not cover up the leaks in the Titles or the Thumbnails.
Which is something I can thank Etika for in this case because even the really fake leaks he censors out.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It'll be interesting how they release these characters that are being announced.

If they release an update beforehand, we will know the characters. Not good for them.

If they wait to release the update until after the announcement, their servers will be beyond fried and people will be upset that their update isn't showing up.

You need to remember that these character files are in the game in the update patch... you simply purchase the license to play as them.

I'll be interested to see what they do. I think they'll release a patch on the night of the 15th, then release the characters on the 16th.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know what I just want more than anything? More music.

I can't be the only one that takes my DS and my headphones with me and sometimes just listens to the songs, right?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I can't be the only one that takes my DS and my headphones with me and sometimes just listens to the songs, right?
I did this sometimes when I was in college and too tired to actually play the 3DS game.

*points to my sig*

No I certainly dont want more music /s

Of course im expecting Street fighter 2.0 and only 2 new songs >_>

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I just want a good old fashion Melee style Adventure Mode.
Levels themed off of different franchises leading up to a battle with a "Giga" enemy, with little secrets sprinkled in everywhere for clearing things quickly enough or at certain times.

We still supposedly have those new modes Sakurai mentioned a while ago... if that's still happening, I'd love a simplified adventure mode.

Shroob

Sup?
I just want a good old fashion Melee style Adventure Mode.
Levels themed off of different franchises leading up to a battle with a "Giga" enemy, with little secrets sprinkled in everywhere for clearing things quickly enough or at certain times.

We still supposedly have those new modes Sakurai mentioned a while ago... if that's still happening, I'd love a simplified adventure mode.
Wasn't that pre-tournament mode?

Soul.

I want more stages. Characters are whatever.

Smashville on 3DS pls. Maybe Lylat. Maybe Pokémon Stadium from Melee

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Seconded.

Another leak would suck for the developers, but at this point, I just want to know everything already.

The most recent string of rumors has sucked a lot of the fun out of this all, in my opinion, and the so-bad-they're-good 4chan leaks lost their charm a long time ago.

I want the lid put on all of this once and for all, as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
So, looking back at everything in SM4SH so far:

Who is your favorite newcomer theoretically, and who is your favorite newcomer to play?

Mega Man is my favorite newcomer theoretically, but I don't really like his gameplay.

My new favorite newcomer to play as is a toss up between Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt.
Favorite new comer in all respects is Little Mac.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
For me personally, every single one of my "favourite reveals" were the ones that weren't highly predicted or leaked, with the exception of Mega Man who had a huge demand everywhere. Being leaked obviously influences predictions. Which is why I personally care. Ones like Rosalina and Cloud that the Smash fanbase just sort of wrote off or didn't seriously think about before the were revealed, were the reveals I enjoyed the most. There is also the principle matter of Sakurai wanting to obviously surprise us (I mean he retweeted a video of Cloud reactions), and I want to see that wish come true. If a leak does happen, I want to remain ignorant to it so I at least can be surprised. Heck, I'm half considering filming a reaction to the Direct since it's the last one.

I mean at this point, I do think the characters we get are going to be highly predicted ones. But I still want to be surprised by what exact ones. Not to mention whatever other content is in the direct. I mean, people forget that there is more to Smash than just the characters and there is still room for them to announce other kinds of content. That's just as cool to me as the characters and I want to be surprised by that too.

You obviously have a different mindset, since you run a site that thrives on the fact Smash speculation exists (IDK the specifics on SG's inception but I think I am right in saying it wouldn't be what it is today without the Smash speculation community - I mean many articles are catered towards that audience), but for me personally, as just a fan of these games and someone who is devoted to gaming in general, I just like being surprised.

I miss the old days when I was a kid and I didn't have access to the internet, and leaks didn't exist from my perspective. That's the one thing I didn't like about Smash 4's hype period - so many leaks, real or fake, just kinda ruined the speculation experience for me, and half of the time, people didn't root for characters because they like them. They just rooted for whoever "made sense".

EDIT: No, being surprised isn't what it's all about, but it makes the whole show more exhilarating to watch. I want to enjoy the presentation just as much as the content it announces.
That's totally fine, I "get it" that people have a different mindset than me. For me, I've always indulged myself with spoilers -- movies, TV shows, gaming. I like knowing what's going to happen. I've been on the Internet since I was 11; I've grown up with spoilers.

In a way, it makes me appreciate the build up even more. I'm probably the worst person to watch movies with anyway because after the movie I'll say "well that character was a total waste" or "wow 30 mins of that movie could've been cut out and we would've gotten the same exact story".

It's okay if you don't want to be spoiled. But I feel like 60% of the time, people who do want to talk to about the story and everything and inconvenienced because they need to put up spoiler tags, or worry about someone being triggered because they didn't know that Sheik was Zelda.

Side Note:
For SG it actually started as a way for my to practice translation. I haven't been doing a lot of translations lately (hoping to do some when I'm on vacation), but I've been learning a lot. Learning how to build and interact with an audience, thinking about gaming journalism, managing a team, etc. I'm approaching Source Gaming as a way to learn more about myself, maybe improve video game journalism and culture, and build up my own skills.

And now for a transition....
I really wanted to point out my favorite quote from my latest article...Hype Responsibly.

Just because you talk about something quite often it doesn’t mean you actually understand it. A lot of people discuss politics but too few actually understand it. Re-tweeting Trump’s latest gaff does not mean you passed Intro to Political Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom