• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I want more stages. Characters are whatever.

Smashville on 3DS pls. Maybe Lylat. Maybe Pokémon Stadium from Melee
I want some competitive stages.

Pokemon Stadium 1, Yoshi's Story, Midgard without the summons.

Anything but not having to play on Starterville

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Seconded.

Another leak would suck for the developers, but at this point, I just want to know everything already.

The most recent string of rumors has sucked a lot of the fun out of this all, in my opinion, and the so-bad-they're-good 4chan leaks lost their charm a long time ago.

I want the lid put on all of this once and for all, as soon as possible.
Im going to get kinda scared if Sakurai doesnt confirm that this is the final DLC batch.

Riding the Smash Speculation Train is hell >_>

Soul.

I want Smashville just to add another legal stage to the 3DS list.

The rest I want them too but not so much as Smashville because everyone plays there and you wouldn't have to default to Omega Something. Still dull to start matches there though but whatever.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Speaking of which, for old times sake... we should look for ****ty text leaks one last time. If this truly is the end of Smash 4 speculation.

Get out your 4chan accounts and clear your history afterwards boys.

We're hunting for text leaks.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh and also another thing - if I'm being perfectly honest...I don't play Smash as much anymore. I've gotten so sick of the online (and Smash is the ONLY game I have online problems with and the game was actually fine at launch - I think they messed something up in one of the updates down the line) and grinding for customs on the Wii U version that I simply have nothing I terribly want to do in the game anymore. There is no substantial and replayable single-player mode for me unlike SSE in Brawl (I used to speedrun it and play with different stipulations, or play co-op with various friends), and I am at a point in my life where I don't have friends to play with locally all that easily. As a result, I don't play Smash as much as I would like to, certainly not as much as I did with Brawl.

Of course I enjoy all of the DLC support and I will play with any DLC we get, but if I'm being completely honest, the only DLC character I played with a lot was Mewtwo and that's because I wanted to get good with him and because I was still in college and using Smash 3DS as my bus game, and I still had other things to do in the Wii U version at the time. With all of the other DLC, I played it a lot the first week Ryu and co. came out, and played it a little when the other stuff came out. But the game is so limited for me personally in how I can enjoy this content. And then there was Tournament Mode, which I flat out think is bad even without the online issues I have with the game in general.

So that's another reason why I don't want the upcoming content spoiled for me - I actually might not use it all of that much anyway, at least not now (especially with me playing Xenoblade and Rodea and whatever else - I want to pick up Splatoon and Fast Racing NEO soon), since the game is so limited in terms of things I want to do. So if nothing else, I want to savour the reveals, be excited for them.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's be honest.

People won't shut up regardless if it's confirmed as final or not. Let's make a hypothetical scenario in which the presentation passes, it's said to be the last characters and Wolf isn't among them at all.

"BUT U GUISE THEY'RE JUST DELAYING HIM 4 STAIRFAX ZERO SO HE'LL TIE IN OFC CLEVER MARKETING".

This is the easiest scenario to think of. There are tons more examples, yes, but this is easily the most exploitable one. You'll see people claiming "oh, we'll get an announcement of MORE characters once the last one drops!"

People are that stubborn. This is practically inevitable.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Speaking of which, for old times sake... we should look for ****ty text leaks one last time. If this truly is the end of Smash 4 speculation.

Get out your 4chan accounts and clear your history afterwards boys.

We're hunting for text leaks.
Even though they're not as entertaining as they used to be, I'd rather we get more crappy 4chan leaks than yet another so-and-so who's supposedly reputable and trustworthy coming forward with info that turns out to be bogus.

As mind-boggling and stupid as Tower of Smash was, it was a million times better than crap like RogersBase and the Shovel Knight rumor.

Let's be honest.

People won't shut up regardless if it's confirmed as final or not. Let's make a hypothetical scenario in which the presentation passes, it's said to be the last characters and Wolf isn't among them at all.

"BUT U GUISE THEY'RE JUST DELAYING HIM 4 STAIRFAX ZERO SO HE'LL TIE IN OFC CLEVER MARKETING".

This is the easiest scenario to think of. There are tons more examples, yes, but this is easily the most exploitable one. You'll see people claiming "oh, we'll get an announcement of MORE characters once the last one drops!"

People are that stubborn. This is practically inevitable.
Yeah, if Wolf doesn't make it, I'm pretty certain we're going to see a crappy fake leak about him being Smash DLC right before Star Fox Zero's release even if we're explicitly told that the content being announced on the 15th is the end of SSB4 DLC.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Shout out to Reddit (that was weird to say)
Yeah I don't I would have ever figured out some of these lol.
Although, I feel dumb for not recognizing Fi and Zant's colors because they're so obvious.

I bet Volga has a Gohma palette and Wizzro has Jalhalla.

Not sure what they could do for Cia.

Shroob

Sup?
Here's a scary thought.

What if the patch, adds new Mario slots... but the Direct doesn't mention any characters that they could be and only fills up the old Mario slots?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a scary thought.

What if the patch, adds new Mario slots... but the Direct doesn't mention any characters that they could be and only fills up the old Mario slots?
We break.

Chrono.

Yeah I don't I would have ever figured out some of these lol.
Although, I feel dumb for not recognizing Fi and Zant's colors because they're so obvious.

I bet Volga has a Gohma palette and Wizzro has Jalhalla.

Not sure what they could do for Cia.
Cia could be Odolwa, seeing as Lana is Deku Princess (and they've done matching costumes for them before).

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Here's a scary thought.

Depends on whether or not they announce that this is the end of SSB4 DLC on the broadcast.

If they do say that, I'd like to think people with common sense would think "Oh, it's just leftover data or cut content like the Forbidden 7" and move on.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Here's a scary thought.

Then there's a legitimate reason to believe they're planning/planned some other content and either haven't revealed it yet (planning to reveal it in a general direct) or cancelled it.

It'd really depend on whether or not they say it's the last of the DLC on Tuesday or not.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's a scary thought.

I have a feeling that this could happen, but they would announce the characters OR announce that they'll announce the characters later.
Really doubt it though.
Cia could be Odolwa, seeing as Lana is Deku Princess (and they've done matching costumes for them before).
Hm, good point.
It'd be cool if they actually gave Cia war paint lol.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Tuesday is gonna be an eye opener for some people.Mainly because i feel that the characters people feel aren't as likely and i think many fanbases.Me included are looking at this through tunnel vision

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Here's a scary thought.

Then it's back to square one. Or it'll just be like Mario Kart 8 DLC with extra data where there's nothing done about it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I think the last of the content will be announced in this Direct, I don't think this will be the last presence Smash has in a Direct. I think the ballot characters or whatever other characters they are planning to release in the coming months, will not have full on trailers, but will have their models from both versions shown off and will be given a release window, like when Mewtwo was announced. Then we will see their trailers in a Nintendo Direct when they are ready. Their amiibos will also have announced release dates in upcoming directs I'm sure too.

So yes, this will likely be the last of the content all announced, but I still think further details on content that's not as far in development will come in future Nintendo Directs.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Depends on whether or not they announce that this is the end of SSB4 DLC on the broadcast.

If they do say that, I'd like to think people with common sense would think "Oh, it's just leftover data or cut content like the Forbidden 7" and move on.
Thats the problem. The internet lacks common sense >_>

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still pretty confident in my belief that the Mario slot that showed up in September is either a ballot character, or a veteran. It just seems like it was added too soon to be close to being 'done'.

Granted, I admit, the time to when it was added doesn't guarantee it was only started recently, but we have a good idea that this character at least came after the original 6 slots as far as planning went, since its slot was only added a few months ago.

It's not something I'm 100% confident in, but I still think this character may not be 'done' yet and more likely get revealed ala Mewtwo.

Unless it's a veteran, that is.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm still pretty confident in my belief that the Mario slot that showed up in September is either a ballot character, or a veteran. It just seems like it was added too soon to be close to being 'done'.

I admit, the time to when it was added doesn't guarantee it was only started recently, but we have a good idea that this character at least came after the original 6 slots as far as planning went, since its slot was only added a few months ago.
Wait, there was specifically a Mario slot added?

...I voted for Captain Toad. Don't play with my heart, Sakurai.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Then it's back to square one. Or it'll just be like Mario Kart 8 DLC with extra data where there's nothing done about it.
What extra data?

All I know of is the UnderConstruction and Reserved slots, but those were there even before the Zelda and Animal Crossing packs came out, and are likely just a remnant of their development, and the Kamek emblem, which is more likely to be traces of a cut character.

Wait, there was specifically a Mario slot added?

...I voted for Captain Toad. Don't play with my heart, Sakurai.
It's not a "Mario slot" as in specifically a Mario character.

Mario slots are placeholders for DLC characters. We call them Mario slots because they're labeled "Mario", likely because Mario is the base around which Smash characters are developed.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Mario slots are placeholders for DLC characters. We call them Mario slots because they're labeled "Mario", likely because Mario is the base around which Smash characters are developed.
Mario is the dummy name for all the unused slots.
Or maybe...
The remaining characters are Cat Mario, Paper Mario, and Metal Mario??

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
What extra data?

All I know of is the UnderConstruction and Reserved slots, but those were there even before the Zelda and Animal Crossing packs came out, and are likely just a remnant of their development, and the Kamek emblem, which is more likely to be traces of a cut character.

Mario is the dummy name for all the unused slots.
You're both wrong. We are going to get 3 Mario Clones when the direct shows and my Dad's Uncle at Nontendo told me who it is

I'm pretty sure one of the images is fake though, because one of the model matches perfectly with the Little Mac pose...

EDIT: Curse you Kenith Kenith , you stole my gag before I could finish my post. 100 back handed slaps for you.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Granted, I admit, the time to when it was added doesn't guarantee it was only started recently, but we have a good idea that this character at least came after the original 6 slots as far as planning went, since its slot was only added a few months ago.
I'm pretty sure most people are in agreement on this.

Keep in mind that the developers could've had a plan for the amount of characters they were putting in, and added an extra slot later on after deciding to put in one more character, so there's nothing to prove the character started development after the other remaining Mario slots. Just that the additional character was decided on after the others.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, if Wolf DOES get added, I can't help but feel like he'd get a re-design akin to Roy.

Also, Wolf, along with Leon and Andrew are the only SFZ characters I don't think we've seen yet how they look in the new game.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Ya know, if Wolf DOES get added, I can't help but feel like he'd get a re-design akin to Roy.

Also, Wolf, along with Leon and Andrew are the only SFZ characters I don't think we've seen yet how they look in the new game.
Ehhh, I'm not so sure.

Fox and Falco more or less look the same as they do in Brawl. Marth and Ike, on the other hand, were both given updated designs just like Roy.

Shroob

Sup?
Ehhh, I'm not so sure.

Fox and Falco more or less look the same as they do in Brawl. Marth and Ike, on the other hand, were both given updated designs just like Roy.
True. I never really cared to look into 'what' design Wolf in Brawl was based off of. It's some amalgamation of Assault and Command, right?

Chrono.

I'd more than welcome a Wolf redesign.

I don't really like his Brawl/Assault/Command look.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
True. I never really cared to look into 'what' design Wolf in Brawl was based off of. It's some amalgamation of Assault and Command, right?
The Command and Assault looks are more or less the same as far as the outfit goes. It's just Wolf himself who looks different in both games (due to the art styles being drastically different).

His Brawl look is based on them, but has a lot of major differences.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Okay, I'm going to be devil's advocate here.

Since when did people become so stingy over spoilers for these announcements?

The entire point of out thread up until we moved was to discuss leaks and spoilers and find out stuff as soon as possible. I get not wanting to be spoiled. But then why are people on a website dedicated to discussion of the game's roster?

You would really rather wait to be marketed to, than to maybe get a hint of info earlier?

Now listen, I get it. I'm happy Cloud wasn't leaked as his trailer was hype. But wishing for leaks not to happen isn't really fair to those who just want to know the characters.

If something gets leaked... sorry? You're going to see it all over the place. It's life. It's the internet. If people are that offended by spoilers (for a marketing video nonetheless) then why are you checking these threads?

[personal opinion]
To put it as simply as possible, it was more about the journey than the destination.

[extended explanation]
We've spent over a year together busting leaks. It was enjoyable, yes, but in earlier times even those leaks that ended up being true were vague and only leaked a little, so even though we had tons of fun the destination was seldom spoiled enough ruin the official reveals.

We also got a few fake leak gems like Rayman and to a lesser extent Palutena #teamFakeWasRight!

Then we started datamining the crap out of things which completey killed the spirit of busting leaks and completely ruined a cool surprise.

Even though datamining may not be included in the formal definition of a leak, people associate them with leaks and it's left a bad taste in their mouths. This is probably the last opportunity to be surprised about smash info and people are just ready for the end and dont want to risk a complete leak.

While there are people that don't want hints at all (and there's nothing wrong with that), I think the issue is that people are so worried about a full leak that they're not even willing to risk a partial one. And it's really not that hard to use spoiler tags while on this site.

Additionally, as you said, this is the internet and if something gets leaked it's going to be all over the place; avoiding this thread is going to do jack **** lol. The only way to avoid leaks is to completely isolate yourself from humanity on the off chance that some random dude starts talking about smash....and that's just unreasonable as most people have things to do. There are only two likely possibilities: the info gets leaked and it's nearly impossible (extremely difficult) to avoid or it doesnt get leaked.

The former ruins the reveal experience for many and the latter makes the reveal wait (5 days) "harder" for many. I wouldn't call not wanting spoilers "stingy"; it just sounds like a practical and reasonable wish.

Also, there's nothing unfair in wishing for leaks to not happen. What's unfair about hoping people get public news around the same time? Heck, getting some information early is actually illegal. If people want the information they can still get it, but the news wouldn't be spoiled for others. To put it very bluntly, there's less than five days to wait and getting the information sooner won't make the characters come sooner, so I just can't bring myself to care about people complaining about the wait.

If information only spread to people who wanted it and there's no advantage over nor annoying those that don't want it, then, sure, wishing leaks could be unfair.....but that's not the case. In this case it just sounds like grown men and women complaining about not getting something earlier than others, especially when they've done nothing to warrant getting it earlier.

Of course both sides are free to think as they wish and ask for what they please. And what ever happens will happen, but I don't think it's right to imply that the wishes of one side of the argument equally effects the experience of the other.

Shroob

Sup?
[personal opinion]
To put it as simply as possible, it was more about the journey than the destination.

[extended explanation]
We've spent over a year together busting leaks. It was enjoyable, yes, but in earlier times even those leaks that ended up being true were vague and only leaked a little, so even though we had tons of fun the destination was seldom spoiled enough ruin the official reveals.

We also got a few fake leak gems like Rayman and to a lesser extent Palutena #teamFakeWasRight!

Then we started datamining the crap out of things which completey killed the spirit of busting leaks and completely ruined a cool surprise.

Even though datamining may not be included in the formal definition of a leak, people associate them with leaks and it's left a bad taste in their mouths. This is probably the last opportunity to be surprised about smash info and people are just ready for the end and dont want to risk a complete leak.

While there are people that don't want hints at all (and there's nothing wrong with that), I think the issue is that people are so worried about a full leak that they're not even willing to risk a partial one. And it's really not that hard to use spoiler tags while on this site.

Additionally, as you said, this is the internet and if something gets leaked it's going to be all over the place; avoiding this thread is going to do jack **** lol. The only way to avoid leaks is to completely isolate yourself from humanity on the off chance that some random dude starts talking about smash....and that's just unreasonable as most people have things to do. There are only two likely possibilities: the info gets leaked and it's nearly impossible (extremely difficult) to avoid or it doesnt get leaked.

The former ruins the reveal experience for many and the latter makes the reveal wait (5 days) "harder" for many. I wouldn't call not wanting spoilers "stingy"; it just sounds like a practical and reasonable wish.

Also, there's nothing unfair in wishing for leaks to not happen. What's unfair about hoping people get public news around the same time? Heck, getting some information early is actually illegal. If people want the information they can still get it, but the news wouldn't be spoiled for others. To put it very bluntly, there's less than five days to wait and getting the information sooner won't make the characters come sooner, so I just can't bring myself to care about people complaining about the wait.

If information only spread to people who wanted it and there's no advantage over nor annoying those that don't want it, then, sure, wishing leaks could be unfair.....but that's not the case. In this case it just sounds like grown men and women complaining about not getting something earlier than others, especially when they've done nothing to warrant getting it earlier.

Of course both sides are free to think as they wish and ask for what they please. And what ever happens will happen, but I don't think it's right to imply that the wishes of one side of the argument equally effects the experience of the other.
So what's you're telling me is....

Bustin' makes me feel good?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
and now for something that is 100% reaching and will not happen
based off of the three characters cloud was fighting in the intro to his trailer i make this (reaching) prediction

bandanna dee, sylux, sceptile

like i said more than likely not going to happen

Ivander

Smash Legend

Shout out to Reddit (that was weird to say)
Heh, I thought all of the costumes were going to be based off of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and perhaps Spirit Track-related stuff, but the Lana one surprised me. But then again, Lana's reminded me more of Tiki and Terra rather than the Deku Princess, but Lana's costume still looks pretty nice. Ganondorf's Alt is definitely the best alternate colors costume though.

Shroob

Sup?
Speakin of HW, I wonder who that last character is going to be.... Have we seen anything of the likes of Toon Ganon or Linebeck yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom