• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
One thing that I really despise about the gaming industry are people who talk massive trash about other people giving lower scores to games than other websites to "look different" and more attention.

I just watched Rooster Teeth talk mad **** about Jeff Gerstmann because he gave the console versions of Fallout 4 a 3/5 and the PC versions of Fallout 4 a 4/5.

"HOW DARE YOU GIVE FALLOUT 4 AN UNBIASED REVIEW, JEFF YOU DIRTY *******!" :facepalm:

/rant

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So many people here playing XCX...

I need this game. I need a Wii U. I want to have this epic masterpiece.

Xenoblade game + mecha + OST by Sawano in a single package is something that my life desperately needs.

(And the Smash broadcast too.)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I personally don't get complaining about reviews in general, unless there is something BLATANTLY wrong with it. It's better for the opinions expressed in reviews to be varied, as long as they are well thought out and make sense and are based on adequate time with the game. It means different kinds of consumers are better catered to.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Allows you to save those B- tier characters for next smash.
Sakurai makes every game like it is his last and he is going all out with DLC. He's not going to save anyone for the explicit purpose of being a selling point for Smash 5, Nintendo character or third-party, so this argument doesn't make sense.

People think we're getting someone bigger than Cloud?

Nah. He's the main attraction guys.
I can't wait to see unrealistic fan theories get killed, just like the assumption that Lucina being in made Roy's chance as DLC 0%. I mean, nothing but third-party characters from now on? Really?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I personally don't get complaining about reviews in general, unless there is something BLATANTLY wrong with it. It's better for the opinions expressed in reviews to be varied, as long as they are well thought out and make sense and are based on adequate time with the game. It means different kinds of consumers are better catered to.
Most reviews from the big sites and video game "journalists" aren't based on adequate play time, though.
For example, MGSV had an ending that disappointed everyone, and none of the reviews really caught it. This was because it's a massive game and Konami held a press event for 40 hours to play the game and review it. Only after the fact were guys like SuperBunnyhop and other fan reviewers able to really crack at the story or riff on the side-quest completionist tick box silliness.
Review embargoes are standard, so the standard is set low, which is why I see it as reasonable to discredit reviews from major publications in general.

The real question for me is how many readers actually understand these things, things like the industry having a vested interest in giving positive reviews?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You said that already.

If you're not really going to stop, then stop saying you're gonna stop.
I understand why you're so bitter, this is an argument on the internet after all. It's for all the marbles. xD

Btw I do have an actual reply but I wouldn't want to appear disingenuous, would I? So I guess all I have left is being snide. I'm good at it though so I'll survive.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Most reviews from the big sites and video game "journalists" aren't based on adequate play time, though.
For example, MGSV had an ending that disappointed everyone, and none of the reviews really caught it. This was because it's a massive game and Konami held a press event for 40 hours to play the game and review it. Only after the fact were guys like SuperBunnyhop and other fan reviewers able to really crack at the story or riff on the side-quest completionist tick box silliness.
Review embargoes are standard, so the standard is set low, which is why I see it as reasonable to discredit reviews from major publications in general.

The real question for me is how many readers actually understand these things, things like the industry having a vested interest in giving positive reviews?
I'm aware of stuff like certain journalists being "groomed" by publishers, but it's not all of them. And it's generally obvious which ones are anyway.

And honestly what Konami did with MGSV was really weird and I don't like it, but stuff of that exact nature don't happen often.

I just mean in general, people always seem to get angry when one review has a lower score for a AAA game, even if the reasoning was valid.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Sakurai makes every game like it is his last and he is going all out with DLC. He's not going to save anyone for the explicit purpose of being a selling point for Smash 5, Nintendo character or third-party, so this argument doesn't make sense.

I can't wait to see unrealistic fan theories get killed, just like the assumption that Lucina being in made Roy's chance as DLC 0%. I mean, nothing but third-party characters from now on? Really?
I just think we aren't getting first party newcomers as DLC.So far I haven't seen anything pointing towards it so I'm sticking to my guns about 3rd parties

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
One thing that I really despise about the gaming industry are people who talk massive trash about other people giving lower scores to games than other websites to "look different" and more attention.

I just watched Rooster Teeth talk mad **** about Jeff Gerstmann because he gave the console versions of Fallout 4 a 3/5 and the PC versions of Fallout 4 a 4/5.

"HOW DARE YOU GIVE FALLOUT 4 AN UNBIASED REVIEW, JEFF YOU DIRTY *******!" :facepalm:

/rant

It's hilarious in hindsight considering RT are a bunch of Fallout fanboys. (One guy who was talking about Gerstman was wearing a Pipboy)

It's mostly people ******** about "WHY DON'T TOU LIKE MY GAME" It's what happen when Yahtzee reviewed Brawl and said he didn't liked it and fans got massively upset because "BAW GAWD, CAN'T SAY NOTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT BRAWL"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Know what I just noticed?

How much the speculation community of Smash seems to flip-flop. This includes this thread.

Like, one day we say someone's totally in, then the next it's "he's got a shot I guess", then he's "not happening".

Not saying I'm not guilty of it but it's just something I noticed today.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, apparently Hiroyuki Sawano's exceedingly weird song titles with ultra convoluted puns using kanji, symbols and numbers are done for his own amusement. He said that his titles aren't meant to be anything deep or anything of the sort. The man is kinda crazy.

I mean, I found this: http://anime.stackexchange.com/ques...-aldnoah-zeros-ost-opening-ending-song-titles

Of course, Xenoblade X has its share of weirdly titled songs. It can get painful to find some music as a result.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I just think we aren't getting first party newcomers as DLC.So far I haven't seen anything pointing towards it so I'm sticking to my guns about 3rd parties
Nothing is pointing towards additional 3rd party characters, either. Heck, considering Sakurai implied that he won't add too many third-party characters due to him stating that this is still a Nintendo-oriented crossover, if anything, the fact we have already gotten another third-party character just recently makes the prospect of yet another way more unlikely. Regardless, it certainly doesn't increase the chance of us getting nothing but third-party characters.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

/rant
Reviews are an interesting piece. In the grand scheme of things, they should look at them from an objective point of view. Is the game good, is the game bad, or does it have no redeeming qualities? Once you get past that, it should then give the writers personal opinions on the game. What did they like and what didn't they like? That's why people shouldn't fully rely on reviews on opinions on games, because while you may get a general idea on how the game is, people will have their own liking towards different parts of the game. Even then, it leads into debates on whether something is honestly fun, or just an opinion of said person.

Regarding that Rooster Teeth incident, it was honestly pathetic they called him out because he gave it anything lower than a 10/10 (Even though there's glaring problems with the game, mainly glitches). Didn't they also endorse Fallout 4 a lot prior to the release of the game?

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I just Crank-a-Kaied some crazy S class Ice version of a Kyubi.

Not going to use to right now though.

This game is so good but there are a few little niggly issues I have. One being the map.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So last night I found an interesting glitch regarding the stage select. When choosing a stage, if you select random in just the right way (namely that the momentum of the cursor lands on the "extra stages" tab, but it still selects a stage), it presumably crashes the SSS.

It's hard to describe with words (and I don't have anything that would make a quality video), but it's easier done than said. And it's not too groundbreaking, as all it does is send you straight to Battlefield for what I presume to be a failsafe for something like this.

For the record, Battlefield itself is the same. With a small exception to the pause screen: as the info detailing zooming in and out along with panning and rotating are removed (you can still do them however). The only one kept is the snapshot one.

Tl;Dr: I might have crashed the Stage Select Screen.

This is what it should look like for the glitch to trigger.

And here's the lack of info.

It'd be better explained with a video, but I don't have anything that could work (or at least not look like crap).

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I honstly expect 2 first party newcomers as DLC, if not more. I find incredibly unlikely that DLC won't have any.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I kinda predict we'll get Cloud, but you never know, he may not be as surefire as we think.

I'd say he's about 50:50.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So last night I found an interesting glitch regarding the stage select. When choosing a stage, if you select random in just the right way (namely that the momentum of the cursor lands on the "extra stages" tab, but it still selects a stage), it presumably crashes the SSS.

It's hard to describe with words (and I don't have anything that would make a quality video), but it's easier done than said. And it's not too groundbreaking, as all it does is send you straight to Battlefield for what I presume to be a failsafe for something like this.

For the record, Battlefield itself is the same. With a small exception to the pause screen: as the info detailing zooming in and out along with panning and rotating are removed (you can still do them however). The only one kept is the snapshot one.

It'd be better explained with a video, but I don't have anything that could work (or at least not look like crap).
I think this was discovered a while ago, actually (particularly going straight to Battlefield). I don't remember the bottom screen thing, though.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Yeah think I'm gonna go for a bit.Probably be back when the broadcast starts. apparently different opinions is bad

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Today I ordered an SNES Star Fox 2 cart as a Christmas gift for my brother. I just need to wait 10-14 business days for it to arrive.

Yay!

Another game I've considered getting him but didn't was a super cool Zelda 1 hack called "Zelda: The Legend of Link" but the website gave me 2 obstacles: 1) They were out of stock and 2) Even if they had it, they were asking me to supply them with a cartridge of a very specific yet uncommon NES game in order for them to make it. So that was way out of the question.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think this was discovered a while ago, actually (particularly going straight to Battlefield). I don't remember the bottom screen thing, though.
Yeah it's really weird how that happened. I think it's because of a flag or something like that. Regardless though it's interesting to see that something like this is in the game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah think I'm gonna go for a bit.Probably be back when the broadcast starts. apparently different opinions is bad
People disagreed.

No one gave you crap.

Why leave?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just got my Shulk amiibo and set up the FP.

It's amazing.

He's set to his underwear alt, so whenever it you Shulk into the game, he drops in from the sky and his clothes explode in a dramatic flash of light as he poses. Lol

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Not sure if related but I had this happen when the Mewtwo patch launched.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
So.

-sniff- I'm going to like, post a Nuzlocke chapter or whatever. Y-You don't have to read it! It's not like I wanted you to, anyways.... l'm like, perfectly fine, but I mean, i-if you want... okay come on guys READ IT

So. IGGY is dropped into a world where blue frogs are normal, and animals fight to the death. You guessed it. wildanimalfightclub.com!

She quickly meets up with her mommy who loves her dearly enough to send her out into the wild, and into jerkface MILEY's house. MILEY told her that they should try and get Pokemon from the professor. IGGY wasn't taking none that.

So, skip a few scenes and ooo gurl IGGY got her a Turtwig!

and yes, she fought to the death with MILEY. IGGY had to go to some school and find some clowns. I-G-G-Y? How about I-G-G-.....WHY? I've been playing Pokemon all my life tyvm

but before that she got some pokeballs from Lucas (yo when yo game comin over here?) and.....
I-G-G-Y? More like I-G-G-FLY!

i also brutally killed Chimchar again

Team:
Bedoop. Male. Level 12.
I-G-G-FLY. Female. Level 10.

Deaths: 0

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It's okay to disagree with someone.

When @Burb and I had our fights I only cried 6 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom