• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look, I don't really have anything more to say. I'm hardly saying Banjo's shot has markedly improved, I just find it incomprehensible to think having a precedent doesn't change things from when it was purely wishful thinking, especially considering there has already been an expressed interest in more collaboration from at least one of the parties.

If you guys want to keep thinking this collaboration exists in a bubble... go ahead I suppose.

I feel this would help Steve much more then it would help Banjo though.
It helps Steve too, I just think that given Banjo's history with Nintendo (something I would assume is important to Sakurai) and how he's presumably done pretty well for himself on the ballot, if any Microsoft character were to get in, it'd be him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People think we're getting someone bigger than Cloud?

Nah. He's the main attraction guys.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
For academic purposes linking to a Wiki just isn't reliable as it can be changed at any moment. Sites in general can, but Wikipedia can be more volatile...especially controversial topics. Therefore it's better to use Wikipedia sources (which you should check anyway).

Usually people who have a very vested interest will go and add their bias to articles which is something you need to be on the lookout. For example people on the Hill regularly edit congresspeople's Wiki. Being aware of author bias in general, is super important and something people just don't understand. Just because they are presenting it as information doesn't mean it it's actually accurate.

Once, I vandalized some pages on Wikipedia to see how long they would stay unchanged. It was about 3 hours of Cambodia's page saying there was killer elephants rampaging through the countryside. I still chuckle at the thought of a third Grader somewhere presenting information on Cambodia and talking about their elephant problem. The Japanese history pages I vandalized took months to revert.

I don't do that kind of stuff anymore, but it proves that you should always be asking for sources and citing.
Make no mistake, I don't meant to suggest linking to Wikipedia directly is the solution, or believing in it on a principle of faith. Of course there are internet archive pages one can find a previous version on that won't change. Besides, any site can be changed or vandalized at any time, though not to the degree of Wikipedia. Also, the inaccuracies of the more bureaucratized information sources, like Britannica, are plain as day, it seems like we can't trust anyone to give us accurate information! These make arguing from the 'people aren't trustworthy' worldview far less tenable.
And, again, if you read the links, you'll see that changing information stuff is acknowledged as a problem, disregarding the fact that it's a problem in literally any medium of information exchange ever. The solution is very simple, and is Wikipedia good practice policy: plenty of inline citations. The smart writer will go there and draw conclusions.
The Wikipedia good practice policies, completely voluntary in operation of the site, have allied so many well-intentioned editors together under their standards that their clout alone will ensure the general direction of quality and quantity of information on Wikipedia will increase over time. Those more concerned with vandalizing don't have said community support or guidelines for how to make excellent defacement that is difficult to catch. They don't have clout, and things would have to go seriously wrong for them to ever gain enough to opposed the legions of good practice editors.
Wikipedia is only as good as a source as the competency of the person handling it, and when handled well it is the best source for information in general on the face of the Earth.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Look, I don't really have anything more to say. I'm hardly saying Banjo's shot has markedly improved, I just find it incomprehensible to think having a precedent doesn't change things from when it was purely wishful thinking, especially considering there has already been an expressed interest in more collaboration from at least one of the parties.
Having Minecraft on Wii U on its own is beneficial to both parties.

There is no reason to think there's some Smash Bros deal attached to it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

There is no reason to think there's some Smash Bros deal attached to it. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Thinking that a special thing is automatically related to Smash Bros?
Reminds me of someone else...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This. Cloud is the main attraction, his franchise has sold more than any other third party character and is a household name.

There ain't nobody who's bigger than Cloud

NO ONE

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Banjo wouldn't even be a bigger surprise.

Phil Spencer said he wants to see it months ago. He's already on the community's radar.

Nobody saw Cloud coming.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

But Burb, that would make sense! You know as well as I do that if you have to not make sense and that everything ported to nintendo means that it can be in smash. Silly you. :4cloud::4miisword:

See you on the other side.

:troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're seriously acting like Minecraft getting ported to the Wii U suddenly means Banjo and/or Steve will likely be coming to Smash? Like, we're back at the point where every announcement has to be connected to Smash in some way or another? Really?

Not everything Nintendo-related is tied to Smash. The fact that we're still having theories like this get cooked up this late in Smash 4 speculation is completely ridiculous. How many times has something like this ended up being correct? Never.

And for Pete's sake, please cut it out with the "Cloud's in Smash, so anything's possible!" nonsense. I really don't understand why Cloud is being treated like he was on Goku's tier of impossibility. He was definitely an unexpected surprise, but his biggest barrier was a rule that never actually existed and was just an assumption on the part of the fandom. Cloud Strife is not the property of Sony, he and Banjo are not comparable.
Good god. Yeah, I totally said it's likely to happen. It's definitely a guarantee now, that's what I said. My point wasn't that one collaboration helps open doors for future collaboration, so don't even think that. Thanks for reading.

And thanks for implying I meant anything is possible with Cloud in Smash, cause that's absolutely what I meant. Good thing you presumed, because you were right on the money.

-----------------

Dear god you raise a point with the same buzzwords included as the argument of the lowest common denominator and you get grouped in with them like it's nothing. I'm glad we take the time to rise above generalizations here. I'm glad we think arguing for Banjo means thinking Banjo has a good shot (even when otherwise expressed in the posts) and raising that the Cloud in Smash adage means nothing less than thinking the person who raised it also believes we'll be getting Goku in Smash. :p

*sigh*

Ok, I'm done. If I'm not getting my point across then I'm just going to stop.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... is Minecraft for Wii U the only Nintendo news today? Is that all?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Good god. Yeah, I totally said it's likely to happen. It's definitely a guarantee now, that's what I said. My point wasn't that one collaboration helps open doors for future collaboration, so don't even think that. Thanks for reading.
The basis is that Minecraft getting a Wii U port means that Banjo's chances have improved.

What exactly am I misreading? That's what you said.

And thanks for implying I meant anything is possible with Cloud in Smash, cause that's absolutely what I meant. Good thing you presumed, because you were right on the money.
I wasn't talking to you, and you alone.

Dear god you raise a point with the same buzzwords included as the argument of the lowest common denominator and you get grouped in with them like it's nothing. I'm glad we take the time to rise above generalizations here.

I'm glad we think arguing for Banjo means thinking Banjo has a good shot (even when otherwise expressed in the posts) and raising that the Cloud in Smash adage means nothing less than thinking the person who raised it also believes we'll be getting Goku in Smash. :p
You flat out said his chances have improved. Based on Minecraft getting a Wii U port. What difference does it make if it's only a sliver or a massive increase? It's nonsense regardless, and a response was warranted.

There's no "generalizations". I was responding to everyone who was arguing that Banjo is likelier now thanks to the Minecraft port. You were one of those people.

Ok, I'm done. If I'm not getting my point across them I'm just going to stop.
You said that already.

If you're not really going to stop, then stop saying you're gonna stop.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
With all these NX patents, it's going to be interesting to see just how many actually make it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
been known since days and already explained the full patent.

Basically, idk why they would give suplemental device, it's weird, nintendo isn;t the company that would make games THAT demanding (or they aren;t used to do it).

Like idk why it woudl require much power.....
That way they can compete with both the Xbone and PS4 and their successors while initially keeping prices down.

They don't want another Wii U situation where they launch towards the end of a console generation and end up looking under powered the entire way through.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
been known since days and already explained the full patent.

Basically, idk why they would give suplemental device, it's weird, nintendo isn;t the company that would make games THAT demanding (or they aren;t used to do it).

Like idk why it woudl require much power.....
Maybe because everyone for 2 generations has been complaining about how weak Nintendo consoles are and the fact no 3rd party developer wants to support Nintendo systems because of how not powerful they are and the fact they would have to do a lot of work to make their games worse in order to be on Nintendo consoles

Sony has slightly better graphics than Microsoft at this point, yet that slight difference makes people rather play the game on Sony

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"Upgradeable console"

Give me a ****ing break.
Not the idea, the idea's really cool.
I'm talking about patents.
If they get this patent, they'll ensure that nobody can follow in their footsteps and provide competition or improvements because of that extremely vague and general patent wording.
Intellectual Property is such bunk.

If one read patent law, one'd find a lot of inconsistency (source, my local govt. teacher who's a lawyer and knows patent lawyers :D ). That's part of the reason why there's so much litigation, but that's mostly irrelevant to my point.
Patents cause people to spend a ton of money on lawsuits etc. instead of innovating, and the stop upstarts from making derivative works which are the basis of innovation and competition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom