• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have much more of a problem with Necalli's seemingly individually sentient dreads and Laura's nonsense cup-size than FANG.

I find it funny that in a game with characters like Birdie, R. Mika, Zangief and Dhalsim people think SF would somehow be above ridiculous exaggerated caricatures or unrealistic fighting practices.
Considering almost all of the original SF2 was a bunch of caricatures...

I guess people expected another serious fighter, but there are plenty of those already.

:231:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you actually don't know what I meant, you weren't paying attention, and in that case, it isn't my fault you don't understand and it is not my responsibility to catch you up to speed.

Quit whining, holy crap. I'm not (or at least, wasn't) being hostile or throwing out backhanded insults. If what I've said offends you, grow some thicker skin. In the meantime, you've just been dodging the actual conversation with that.
Um...

Opo's slip up aside....

You're digging yourself one hell of a hole,...

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
As a matter of fact, most inclusions in Smash only make sense if you know WHEN those characters were put in the game.

If Smash had started the last year, we probably wouldn't have certain characters such as Ness, Jigglypuff, Ike, Sheik or even Captain Falcon whose inclusions were mainly done at a time when those characters had some lasting impact, their games being recent when their Smash debut happened.

Of course, Sakurai likes to preserve as many characters as possible and, if he can, he will try to bring them regardless of their current status. Just the fact they appeared in previous Smash titles is enough.
This. I'd wager 30% of the characters would definitely not be in Smash 4 if that game was the first entry of the series. In fact, I would imagine Chrom would get in since Ike would be absent.

And this isn't factoring into the fact it being the first game in the series you'd have to spend a lot of time designing and programming the concept of Smash Bros. And that you have no veterans to significantly ease up your development time. So yeah, not counting that for the sake of context.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
This is about a minute in. Guacamelee does not play games with references does it?
even before that, there's a billboard with characters from they bleed pixels and sword & sworcery
there's also one part that straight-up has a dead traveler from journey

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's no need for unnecessarily petty insults.

What I meant by that was more so that Sakurai's close with and a fan of Intelligent Systems, especially if his Fire Emblem fandom is anything to go by. I'm just saying it'd be easier for him to take notice of and possibly add a character from IS over another company purely by already-established connections. :p
Potentially yes, but it should be noted that, at least character-wise, it hasn't worked in some other franchises' favors either (ex. Advance Wars).

Oh, is that why? That'd definitely explain it. I just thought they weren't sure where to take it on the N64 and waited for the GameCube to make the first-person shooting better. That was, of course, just a guess though. :p
I could be absolutely wrong but that's what I've heard. Feel free to correct me haha
From what I remember, both of these are correct. It was stated that Gunpei Yokoi wanted Super Metroid to be the last game, but I can't find a source on it. Sakamoto wanted to continue it, but didn't have the right idea/resources for it.

You can read about the latter here: http://www.metroid-database.com/features/Metroid64.php

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you actually don't know what I meant, you weren't paying attention, and in that case, it isn't my fault you don't understand and it is not my responsibility to catch you up to speed.

Quit whining, holy crap. I'm not (or at least, wasn't) being hostile or throwing out backhanded insults. If what I've said offends you, grow some thicker skin. In the meantime, you've just been dodging the actual conversation with that.
I'm just going to drop this here. There's really no getting through to you, so why bother. All I'm gonna say is that for someone who seemingly hates when others dodge conversations (which wasn't even my intention), you sure seem to be dodging the actual conversation by not making your point again.

All I'm saying is your general posting demeanor is cynically hostile. I'm telling you that so some other mod doesn't infract you if it happens in the future. Obviously I'm not gonna do that here because it hasn't crossed the threshold yet and it's toward me, so that'd be even worse if I did it, but I'm just warning you for the future. You can do yourself some good by not getting so flustered over things to borderline insult others.

But like I said I'll drop this now and hope you can at least consider what I said.

Soul.

Street Fighter is serious the moment people focus on its amazing competitive aspect (why not hahaha)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Tall, Purple guy with Facial Hair, lanky limbs, a funny voice, comedic animations, poison-related abilities and the ability to horizontally traverse through the air
This is Waluigi's brother
OMFG.
Someone said Fan looked like this guy based on his voice clips:

AND THAT'S ACTUALLY WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE. LOL.

This is the best SFV newcomer hands down.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
4 days until we know what that next Pokkeon fighter is.

How long until Smash I wonder.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Considering almost all of the original SF2 was a bunch of caricatures...

I guess people expected another serious fighter, but there are plenty of those already.

:231:
Ryu already got his serious all over the roster anyway.

Other than the fact he can throw energy balls and spin around like a magic ballerina but yeah.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Supernatural Xenoblade, can we get a ghostbusting Party member?
Ghosts, vampires, demons and all that stuff.

Wrap it up with Xenoblade's expansive worlds and gameplay and you have something really nice.

Arts could have specific effects against certain types of creatures, kind of like how the Monado is effective against Mechon.

Have you seen Toaru Majutsu no Indexx anime? Think of something like that, only the powers of the others side come more from technology, as in machines, then human experimentation, and the magic stuff comes from faith and other supernatural phenomenons.
I see your point. I haven't watched that anime, but yeah, I can see where you're getting at.

Basically mixing up high-tech stuff and actual magic as powers in the world. Kind of like Star Wars: you have the technology but there's the Force, which is pretty much magic/supernatural power.

Both ideas would be a nice change of pace for the Xenoblade franchise... As long as Nopon were in there somehow. :p

And don't forget about Telethia.

This. I'd wager 30% of the characters would definitely not be in Smash 4 if that game was the first entry of the series. In fact, I would imagine Chrom would get in since Ike would be absent.
Many of the characters' movesets would also be different if Smash 3DS/Wii U was the first in the series.

Zelda, Ganondorf, Pikachu and perhaps Samus all come to mind.

Well, I'll be off for a while to watch some anime. See ya.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
SaltBlock?
'WEHWEH I'M NOT GETTING FREE GAMES ANYMORE BECAUSE I KEPT BREAKING EMBARGO, SOMETHING IN A CONTRACT WEEEEEEEH'
Speaking of, the biggest cheer the Sony event got was when the crowd learnt they, and only them, would get free games.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
He gets salty about damn near everything.

Look up his reactions to Star Fox Zero and Cloud. That's all you need to know.
So what? A lot of people aren't into Cloud's inclusion
And most people aren't into StarFox Zero's graphics? Why does it bring him make it so much worse?

SaltBlock?
'WEHWEH I'M NOT GETTING FREE GAMES ANYMORE BECAUSE I KEPT BREAKING EMBARGO, SOMETHING IN A CONTRACT WEEEEEEEH'
He didn't stop getting stuff because of breaking embargo. It was because of Lamar Wilson and that crap

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
And most people aren't into StarFox Zero's graphics? Why does it bring him make it so much worse?

He didn't stop getting stuff because of breaking embargo. It was because of Lamar Wilson and that crap
It's not the fact that he has an opinion.

It's the way he presented himself.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
OMFG.
Someone said Fan looked like this guy based on his voice clips:

AND THAT'S ACTUALLY WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE. LOL.

This is the best SFV newcomer hands down.
My word...!

Best newcomer indeed. XD

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

He got SUPER salty about everything related to Nintendo after he got blacklisted

What crap? All we ever heard is Saltblock getting blacklisted for breaking embargo all the time, something very likely

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After we get Alex, Juri, and Ibuki along with Cammy and Vega all my favourite SF characters will be in there and I might have to pick up the game.

Who am I kidding, my bf is going to be getting this game as soon as he can, he's a huge SF fan. xD

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of embargoes, probably the worst case of breaking one actually came from someone reviewing Disney Infinity 3.0 of all things.

The review copies had the descriptions in-game of some of the Power Discs. This was not supposed to be shown to the public. Hell, some of the discs in question weren't supposed to release until late Spring. One of these sets was the Zootopia set.

Cue one reviewer showing the description of every disc, including the Zootopia ones (which weren't in the retail version, but were there for the sake of a complete reviewer copy), and spoiling a major twist and the entire ending for Zootopia in the process when the movie hadn't even had a real trailer at that point.

That was bad. I got the movie spoiled for me that hadn't even had a trailer. Dammit all.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Despite the fact its Josh Thomas, it really does look quite good.
Yeah it looks good, but I still don't think he should be encouraged with how he acted towards Nintendo and fans, but that's just my opinion.
What did he do?
Awhile ago he became blacklisted as a reviewer from Nintendo as a reviewer, because he broke the rules of it. After this he went on a temper tantrum through twitter. He called Nintendo and fans all kinds of name, he called Nintendo **** or trash. He acted like a complete baby over cloud's reveal, saying things like oh great more anime **** Nintendo doesn't know how to make the ******* game, and a bunch of other things like that. I don't have links, but I'm sure someone here does. He shouldn't be praised for making Nintendo stuff after that, he doesn't deserve attention. His behavior was inexcusable and to my knowledge, he never apologized so I can't respect him after those events.
He gets salty about damn near everything.

Look up his reactions to Star Fox Zero and Cloud. That's all you need to know.
This is a nicer way of putting it. But some of what he said was pretty bad an inexcusable for someone like him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because I had to find a creative way to say I noticed your pun while at the same time mentioning I'm not funny. :p I also, pffft, bruh, we need more trap people.
Don't say that, you are funny, everybody likes puns :p
And I agree, but it's hard to find people with good taste. Doesn't your boyfriend likes traps as well? :p
I'm pretty sure everyone is this argument has a different standard for what is niche.
My definition of niche is "good game that is mostly unknown because of how little advertisement it gets and people won't play it even after I constantly weeb about it" :p
12 days until Star Wars~
Fixed

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Speaking of embargoes, probably the worst case of breaking one actually came from someone reviewing Disney Infinity 3.0 of all things.

The review copies had the descriptions in-game of some of the Power Discs. This was not supposed to be shown to the public. Hell, some of the discs in question weren't supposed to release until late Spring. One of these sets was the Zootopia set.

Cue one reviewer showing the description of every disc, including the Zootopia ones (which weren't in the retail version, but were there for the sake of a complete reviewer copy), and spoiling a major twist and the entire ending for Zootopia in the process when the movie hadn't even had a real trailer at that point.

That was bad. I got the movie spoiled for me that hadn't even had a trailer. Dammit all.
Damn, that's crazy! I understand the point of including it, but why detail plot spoilers for the movie with the figure, and was the figure detail really needed Disney?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
After we get Alex, Juri, and Ibuki along with Cammy and Vega all my favourite SF characters will be in there and I might have to pick up the game.

Who am I kidding, my bf is going to be getting this game as soon as he can, he's a huge SF fan. xD
'Lemme play or no snogging for a month'

I noticed a pattern between my favourite SF characters per game
SF1: Ryu
2: Chun li
3: Dudley
4: Juri
5: Whammu/Rashid
It's been ♂♀♂♀♂ lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So we all hate Josh Thomas because he calls anime-looking characters anime characters and doesn't want any more in Smash, yes?

Just want to make sure we're hating him for a good reason like his opinion on some characters in a video game and not something frivolous.

lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Damn, that's crazy! I understand the point of including it, but why detail plot spoilers for the movie with the figure, and was the figure detail really needed Disney?
All I'll say is it was a description on a costume-change disc.

Like, I understand in a way, because those were never supposed to be shown to the public, but I guess they wanted to give the most complete copy possible to reviewers. I was watching the video and seriously went "what the hell."

Thankfully the description's not in the retail version and can't be accessed until the discs come out (at the same time Zootopia does).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

The only thing that would have personally completed the game was the return of Q, but I can live without it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So we all hate Josh Thomas because he calls anime-looking characters anime characters and doesn't want any more in Smash, yes?

Just want to make sure we're hating him for a good reason like his opinion on some characters in a video game and not something frivolous.

lol
Trust me when I say that's not the reason, he was personally insulting people. Pretty sure the tweets were deleted, but there were screencaps.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

lol
He's a typical pretentious youtuber imo, like TamashiiHiroka with her going all 'You can't criticize me if you have less subs than me' a while ago

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If/When 5mash comes around, who would you like to see or think would be likely as newcomers? Strictly Nintendo since there's so many different routes 3rd-parties could take (as evidenced by pretty much all of them haha). I would go with:

Toad
Bandana Dee
Inklings
FE Fates character/Anna
Xenoblade X character
King K. Rool
Savvy Stylist
Wonder Red
Advance Wars character (Andy/Sami)
Isaac
Medusa
Takamaru
Sukapon
Anthony Higgs (Samus-ZSS hybrid semi-clone)
Impa (Sheik-Ike hybrid semi-clone)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong semi-clone)
Alph (Olimar semi-clone)
Isabelle (Villager semi-clone)

This is a mixture between wants and likeliness, but it overall gives a pretty good spread. Impa and Anthony Higgs would be "gateway semi-clones", qualifying just barely for the definition since they combine aspects of two different veterans. Savvy Stylist and Sukapon would be the unexpected WFT and DHD characters that are respectively a big modern franchise rep and a retro Nintendo rep. Takamaru would be the retro rep, while Dixie, Alph, and Isabelle would all receive the clone/semi-clone treatment to be playable characters due to their popularity. I don't personally know who from XCX would be included (though I figure it'd prob alt be Elma), and an FE Fates character could be included, but I'd rather personally see Anna as one of the mainstay franchise mascots that's appeared in every game and is popular.

Impa is a semi-clone in the sense that she'd take a lot of inspiration from her Hyrule Warriors moveset, which basically puts her as a Sheik-Ike hybrid with the giant sword and being a ninja.

Anthony Higgs I basically see as balance between Samus and Zamus that uses ice moves. Gives him just enough differentiation while still being able to take the majority of his moveset from theirs.

Wolf would return, Lucina would be decloned, Dark Pit would get the semi-clone treatment a la Luigi/Ganondorf/Falco/etc.
Replace Medusa with Viridi, add Chrom, Ashley and Fiora and I think we got something.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
All I'll say is it was a description on a costume-change disc.

Like, I understand in a way, because those were never supposed to be shown to the public, but I guess they wanted to give the most complete copy possible to reviewers. I was watching the video and seriously went "what the hell."

Thankfully the description's not in the retail version and can't be accessed until the discs come out (at the same time Zootopia does).
Weird, although that does make sense. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out, so I'm glad I don't follow Disney infinity news.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Everyone with me

"I believe I can fly
"I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly"

-
FANG, an assassin who took the song too seriously and now believes he is a FREAKING BIRD! I MEAN, ARE YOU CRAZY MAN! HUMANS AREN'T MEANT TO FLY!!! DIDN't YOU GET THE MEMO!!!1!!!
:troll:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
11 days until Cloud~
Is this a prediction, or what?

Replace Medusa with Viridi, add Chrom, Ashley and Fiora and I think we got something.
Why would they add Chrom? Is something magically gonna change between games where Chrom suddenly becomes a unique fighter? Also, Fiora is in no way a lock-in; less likely now, actually, an X character is likely to be in.

Ashley is cool though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Speaking of, how is Zootopia? I've seen a bit of it and it looks fine, but I don't know. It's getting harder and harder to trust films.

D

Deleted member

Don't say that, you are funny, everybody likes puns :p
And I agree, but it's hard to find people with good taste. Doesn't your boyfriend likes traps as well? :p
Yes, he does. :p And so do my two closest friends who draw Ash Crimson and stuff for me.
He's a typical pretentious youtuber imo, like TamashiiHiroka with her going all 'You can't criticize me if you have less subs than me' a while ago
Oh her? I forgot about her, she was too obnoxious for my tastes. Which is a shame, a lot of her pokemon countdowns interested me... But then I saw them. :/

Everyone with me

"I believe I can fly
"I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly"

-
FANG, an assassin who took the song too seriously and now believes he is a FREAKING BIRD! I MEAN, ARE YOU CRAZY MAN! HUMANS AREN'T MEANT TO FLY!!! DIDN't YOU GET THE MEMO!!!1!!!
:troll:
Fang just too fab not too fly with dem sleeves~.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Ghosts, vampires, demons and all that stuff.

Wrap it up with Xenoblade's expansive worlds and gameplay and you have something really nice.

Arts could have specific effects against certain types of creatures, kind of like how the Monado is effective against Mechon.

I see your point. I haven't watched that anime, but yeah, I can see where you're getting at.

Basically mixing up high-tech stuff and actual magic as powers in the world. Kind of like Star Wars: you have the technology but there's the Force, which is pretty much magic/supernatural power.

Both ideas would be a nice change of pace for the Xenoblade franchise... As long as Nopon were in there somehow. :p

And don't forget about Telethia.[/spoiler
That actually sounds pretty interesting, it would actually be kind of interesting to see different types of species interact, like see how Ghosts work with vampires, and other things Also be neat to see Youkais interacting with Western style demons.

Yeah, pretty much, have highly advance scientific machinery, while there would be magic, also I feel the magic would be more like magic from Negima then like the force, The Force seems pretty weak when compared to other series magic lore, I mean yeah I'm sure it can do more, but The Force is mainly known for mind tricks, force lightening and pushing stuff, kind of underwhelming isn't it when compared to other series magic isn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom