• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

1. Stop it with your puns, I'm the funny but not funny guy around here. :p
2. Great, you've already grabbed my attention. Really, anything to shift from these character arguments I grow tired of.
Why can't both of us be "funny but not funny"? I mean, I was the trap guy here until you showed up :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could be absolutely wrong but that's what I've heard. Feel free to correct me haha
I wouldn't even be able to correct you; I was just spitballing with my guess. :laugh:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I find it a bit weird that NA is getting Paper Jam much later than EU. Would've helped the holiday schedule for our territory a bit me thinks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So next year is Crash's 20th anniversary

The least they could do is an HD collection, and imo the only thing they should.
Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure I'd want another Activison-published Crash game considering their track record recently (see: Pro Skater 5). However, I certainly wouldn't mind a collection or at least individual digital releases of the Naughty Dog games on PS4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It seems like every debate that lasts for more than a few posts is seen as things getting "heated" by the mods.

Just sayin.

Samus was known by some but not universally, she was still fairly lowkey by the time the first Smash came out.

I specifically recall a lot of people being surprised when they saw her "skeleton" when electrocuted.
Perhaps those who started gaming in the 5th gen.

Even Fox was reasonably well-known before he got included in Smash considering the success and popularity of Star Fox 64 among Nintendo fans. There's a reason why "Do a Barrel Roll!" became famous.
The only obscure characters in Smash 64 were Ness (in the west) and Captain Falcon, because F-Zero wasn't positioned as a character-driven series, unlike its post-Smash titles. Yeah, the rest were pretty well known figures in gaming. Even Jigglypuff lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It seems like every debate that lasts for more than a few posts is seen as things getting "heated" by the mods.
I didn't think it was too heated. D:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about a Supernatural setting? Like make it a urban fantasy. Or maybe a Science vs. Fantasy setting? I think these settings would add some interesting story perspectives.
Supernatural-themed Xenoblade? ****ing yes, that would be awesome.

Not that previous Xenoblade games aren't, mind you. I mean, X has freaking mecha and the original has a unique memorable world.

Not sure what you mean by science vs. fantasy, though. Assuming that you mean something that mixes fantasy with sci-fi, that wouldn't be bad, but I feel that the first Xenoblade already leans a lot on the sci-fi side considering the Mechon are pretty much robots.

Anyway, I've seen the new SF guy. FANG is bizarre. lol

Naoshi

Oh yeah, I forgot F-Zero was pretty relevant during 64's release. Both the SNES and N64 games were million sellers.

They were definitely try to push the franchise hard during the GC era. We had about 2 games and an anime and then a game based on the anime. Shame that didn't seem to work out well. :(

With how Nintendo fans of the old are grown up and able to buy games on their own now, I do wonder if a NX F-Zero would do better than GX?

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You know the real kicker about that Crash Shirt is though.

That's his Naughty dog design.
If they got him back it would be Amazing..

If Crash got in Smash aside from me wanting a theme on here to literally be Crash Boards.
We could count on Sakurai and his team to bring back the good old days of Crash and keep him as true to his original form as possible. If Megaman, Pacman, Ryu and Cloud are anything to go by.
:4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:
Never speak too soon, he might come back in many bad ways. >_> Not saying that's most likely the case, but you never know.

Also, this. This so much.
If Crash got into Smash there is no way he wouldn't have his classic design. Which is great as it's more iconic and looks better imo. Plus it would keep things even closer to his debut in the gaming world.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only obscure characters in Smash 64 were Ness (in the west) and Captain Falcon, because F-Zero wasn't positioned as a character-driven series, unlike its post-Smash titles. Yeah, the rest were pretty well known figures in gaming. Even Jigglypuff lol.
Only hindsight bias makes people think she was obscure at the time when she was anything but. Heck, she is still an iconic character consideirng she often still gets recognized among non-hardcore people taking part in various "Name that Smash Bros 4 character" surveys.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't think it was too heated. D:
If one mod doesn't speak for all the mods in a situation **** gets messy...

But yeah it wasn't you.

Only hindsight bias makes people think she was obscure at the time when she was anything but. Heck, she is still an iconic character consideirng she often still gets recognized among non-hardcore people taking part in various "Name that Smash Bros 4 character" surveys.
I don't think people thought she was obscure as much as she was just unpopular and therefore random. None of the original 151 were obscure in 1999 haha.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't think people thought she was obscure as much as she was just unpopular and therefore random. None of the original 151 were obscure in 1999 haha.
But she wasn't. She was hugely popular over in Japan and was a generally iconic Pokemon character, so she made obvious sense. The only real curveballs were Ness and Falcon. Everyone else made perfect sense.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But she wasn't. She was hugely popular over in Japan and was a generally iconic Pokemon character, so she made obvious sense. The only real curveballs were Ness and Falcon. Everyone else made perfect sense.
I'm not saying she was, I'm saying that's what some people have said.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Tall, Purple guy with Facial Hair, lanky limbs, a funny voice, comedic animations, poison-related abilities and the ability to horizontally traverse through the air
This is Waluigi's brother

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why can't both of us be "funny but not funny"? I mean, I was the trap guy here until you showed up :p
Because I had to find a creative way to say I noticed your pun while at the same time mentioning I'm not funny. :p I also, pffft, bruh, we need more trap people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
That's a bit of irony considering you didn't answer my question.

Fleming is unsung. Fleming is a hero, and to make it less literal, the game itself is a good one that takes its own spin on the strategy genre while giving Nintendo one of the few franchises of its kind. Fleming is from a video game, and hence the industry. Therefore he's an unsung hero of the industry.

If you were referring to something else like what Naoshi alluded to, then elaborating wouldn't hurt anyone. You don't need to be groundbreaking and old like R.O.B. or Game and Watch to be an unsung hero.
At least I addressed your question.

You know what my post meant. You're not stupid. You're being obtuse for the sake of disagreeing with me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Jigglypuff was iconic back then. I remember when the series had started and Jigglypuff was definitely one of the more recognizable Pokémon mainly due to her role in the anime.

The singing pink Pokémon was definitely among the most popular ones along with the likes of Meowth, Mewtwo and Snorlax.

Perhaps, her inclusion in Smash may seem odd nowadays by the younger players, but her inclusion in Smash 64 and Melee was definitely not unexpected back then.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Sakurai where to want to include a character from Intelligent Systems more recent successes, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pushmo franchise receive a bit more acknowledgement in Smash.....

At least, the series seems to have already gotten 4 games under its belt within a span of four years and it occasionally receives a bit of promotion on the eShop and more recently on Nintendo's badge arcade so I'd assume it's probably a fairly popular series if they seem to be happy to push for the series whenever they can.

Eitherway, I can see Sakurai including Mallo for Smash 5 if he's looking for a character with a sumo wrestling type playstyle or a more puzzle oriented gameplay (or perhaps both) but overall. I think I'd be more than happy to see the series receive at least a stage. Kinda disappointed the 3DS version didn't get that at least...... :T

Last edited:

Chrono.

Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure I'd want another Activison-published Crash game considering their track record recently (see: Pro Skater 5). However, I certainly wouldn't mind a collection or at least individual digital releases of the Naughty Dog games on PS4.
Yeah, I don't really care for a revival at this point.

But at least remaster the PSX trilogy+CTR.

Naoshi

Actually yeah, the lack of Pushmo content in Smash 4 beyond the trophies was strange.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure everyone is this argument has a different standard for what is niche.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least I addressed your question.

You know what my post meant. You're not stupid. You're being obtuse for the sake of disagreeing with me.
I'll admit that some of the details may have swept by the wayside in all the commotion, but in all honesty I don't remember you posing a question. And once again, cut the backhanded insults out; they help no one and just make you look bad. I'm not purposely being obtuse. I'm genuinely curious as to what you meant.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have much more of a problem with Necalli's seemingly individually sentient dreads and Laura's nonsense cup-size than FANG.

I find it funny that in a game with characters like Birdie, R. Mika, Zangief and Dhalsim people think SF would somehow be above ridiculous exaggerated caricatures or unrealistic fighting practices.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have much more of a problem with Necalli's seemingly individually sentient dreads and Laura's nonsense cup-size than FANG.

I find it funny that in a game with characters like Birdie, R. Mika, Zangief and Dhalsim people think SF would somehow be above ridiculous exaggerated caricatures or unrealistic fighting practices.
I like all of the newcomers we have gotten in SF5.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
As a matter of fact, most inclusions in Smash only make sense if you know WHEN those characters were put in the game.

If Smash had started the last year, we probably wouldn't have certain characters such as Ness, Jigglypuff, Ike, Sheik or even Captain Falcon whose inclusions were mainly done at a time when those characters had some lasting impact, their games being recent when their Smash debut happened.

Of course, Sakurai likes to preserve as many characters as possible and, if he can, he will try to bring them regardless of their current status. Just the fact they appeared in previous Smash titles is enough.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm pretty sure everyone is this argument has a different standard for what is niche.
Exactly.

I haven't participated in this debate because is throwing around their own definition of a word.

In formal debate, you will get chewed out to hell and back if you fail to establish a definition.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Supernatural-themed Xenoblade? ****ing yes, that would be awesome.

Not that previous Xenoblade games aren't, mind you. I mean, X has freaking mecha and the original has a unique memorable world.

Not sure what you mean by science vs. fantasy, though. Assuming that you mean something that mixes fantasy with sci-fi, that wouldn't be bad, but I feel that the first Xenoblade already leans a lot on the sci-fi side considering the Mechon are pretty much robots.

Anyway, I've seen the new SF guy. FANG is bizarre. lol
Supernatural Xenoblade, can we get a ghostbusting Party member?

Have you seen the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime? Think of something like that, only the powers of the sci-fi side come more from technology, as in machines, then human experimentation, and the magic stuff comes from faith and other supernatural phenomenons.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'll admit that some of the details may have swept by the wayside in all the commotion, but in all honesty I don't remember you posing a question. And once again, cut the backhanded insults out; they help no one and just make you look bad. I'm not purposely being obtuse. I'm genuinely curious as to what you meant.
If you actually don't know what I meant, you weren't paying attention, and in that case, it isn't my fault you don't understand and it is not my responsibility to catch you up to speed.

Quit whining, holy crap. I'm not (or at least, wasn't) being hostile or throwing out backhanded insults. If what I've said offends you, grow some thicker skin. In the meantime, you've just been dodging the actual conversation with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom