• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I hope people get the reference in this update's title
Literally only plot here, I can't believe I've come to this point
>Player got Bike
Well, that takes care of that...
"I can't believe it"
Oh, it's you Cheryl, long time no see. So, what you doing in this bike shop?
"Ugh, I'm just here to deliver the Pokemon egg to my aunt, if you could, stay away from me"
Geez, how mean...
"Mean? You made me stay on that forest for TWO days!"
Now that's exaggerating things, you were the one that needed help
/Come on kids, don't fight like that!/
Oh, it's that weird ***** that almost killed Swamp earlier, how's it going?
"Could you please not talk like that about my aunt?"
Look, you're the one who owes me a fav-- wait, aunt!?
"I did say she was the best in the region"
And I thought you were just crazy, but what makes her so great?
/Silly you, how about being the MOTHER****ING CHAMPION? Now, don't ever talk about me like that ever again, unless you want to have a B A D T I M E/
I guess that's a very good point actually
/But don't worry, you see, I meed your help with something/
"Come on, do you really think it's a good idea?"
/Of course it is! I'm the best on the subject after all! Now hand me that Pokemon Egg!/
"Sure, but why do yo--"
*hands it over to me*
"YOU GOT TO BE ****ING KIDDING ME!"
/What is that about?/
"No, **** you, aunt, I had to go through that ****ing forest with him even though you were just going to hand the egg to him. And the worst part? I got stuck on that forest for two ****ing days watching him kill a bunch of Pokemon for his training! He doesn't even deserve such a rare egg! I doubt he will even use it! Why can't I stay with it?"
/Geez, quit being a crybaby, that's why I'm not giving it to you, because I got no Poke-respect for people like you/
"****ING UNBELIEVABLE!"
/Well trainer, what are you going to do with that egg?/
Uh, well, you see
*Egg was sent to BOX 1 in Someone's PC*
"..."
"You know what? Have your goddamn egg! I'm not going to bother with the two of you anymore! I'm gonna become the strongest trainer in this region and when we meet again, you're both dead!"
Wow, and that's for only two days on a forest!
/Sorry, for that, she has always been, uh, quick tempered/
Well, I got my bike, so I'm off to the Cycling Road. Please, try not to kill my Pokemon next time, okay?
/Well, I guess I can do that.../
*sigh* what do you want?
/You see, there is a cave under Cycling road, could you get something in there for me?/
Aren't you the champion? Can't you do that yourself?
/Exactly, I AM the champion, so you would expect me to be very busy/
I guess that makes sense. Alright then, see ya!
/.../
/That's too bad.../
/But he will end up resorting to that Egg sooner or later.../
/Either him or someone else will.../

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just putting it out there, didn't Earthbound absolutely bomb when it was first released in the US? Fairly certain it did.
It bombed and got pretty bad reviews, apparently.

If it weren't for Itoi's celebrity status in Japan and Ness's inclusion in smash Bros, it would have faded to obscurity.

:231:

Strofirko

Smash Master
The conference had good games,and a lot of crap too,so both points ends nulling each other.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Inklings are the only safe bets for smash 5 for me.I wanna say maybe rhythm heaven but i highly doubt that.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
And I've said from the beginning that it doesn't matter at all for a fresh Smash game.
Then why mention it in the first place? Why not just say "SALES DUN MATTER!" instead of saying "Yeah well Xenoblade failed too because it didn't sell well in America!" (Even though, given its status as a store exclusive released in limited quantities, it actually did decently).

For DLC? STEAM is out of the question, more or less.
Yup, it's chances are better in little over half a decade when it'll be even less popular than it is now.

For a new game? It's just as possible as Inklings. It's a new IP, it offers new material for Sakurai or whoever to work with. Sakurai has gone on record saying that THE most important "criteria" for Smash characters is "do they offer something new?". STEAM introduces a whole new universe to Smash.
Any character from any new franchise introduces a new world to Smash. This is as flimsy a point as "Didn't stop anyone else!".

What reason is there for them to pick it out of any possible new IP? The game failed and has already been forgotten. How many one-and-done failed Nintendo franchises have gotten into Smash that aren't retro?

"It's just as likely to get represented as Splatoon!" is just beyond silly, by the way. Splatoon and Codename STEAM are complete opposites. One was a success with lasting appeal. The other sold horribly and has already been forgotten. One has a ton of support for Smash representation. The other has never had any. One is basically guaranteed to become a full series. The other will probably never even get a sequel.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man Final Fantasy has been killing it in 2015

• Type-0 HD released in the West
  • Dissidia Arcade Game
  • FF XV demo was released earlier this year
  • FF Explorers
  • FF7 Remake
  • FF XIV in general and future NX release
  • :4cloud: in Smash

It must be great being a FF fan

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Didn't notice it the first time but it looks like there's a statue of Balrog in the Shadaloo stage.

Guess he'll have some presence in the game before he's DLC.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
The only time I even remember Sakurai mentioning sales is when he said Duck Hunt was the best selling shooter game, but even that was attributed more to history than economics.
Right, history is important.

And as a game that failed and couldn't even remain relevant for a year, I don't think that's a factor Codename STEAM has on its side, either.

Chrono.

Lmaooo all of us thought the symbol in Balrog's silhouette was the Illuminati symbol thus = Urien

Meanwhile we thought the first one was Balrog but it was Alex

At least we got the characters right because they leaked

D

Deleted member

Man Final Fantasy has been killing it in 2015

• Type-0 HD released in the West
  • Dissidia Arcade Game
  • FF XV demo was released earlier this year
  • FF Explorers
  • FF7 Remake
  • FF XIV in general and future NX release
  • :4cloud: in Smash

It must be great being a FF fan
So, when are we getting FFVI3D then?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Then why mention it in the first place? Why not just say "SALES DUN MATTER!" instead of saying "Yeah well Xenoblade failed too because it didn't sell well in America!" (Even though, given its status as a store exclusive released in limited quantities, it actually did decently).

Yup, it's chances are better in little over half a decade when it'll be even less popular than it is now.

Any character from any new franchise introduces a new world to Smash. This is as flimsy a point as "Didn't stop anyone else!".

What reason is there for them to pick it out of any possible new IP? The game failed and has already been forgotten. How many one-and-done failed Nintendo franchises have gotten into Smash that aren't retro?

"It's just as likely to get represented as Splatoon!" is just beyond silly, by the way. Splatoon and Codename STEAM are complete opposites. One was a success with lasting appeal. The other sold horribly and has already been forgotten. One has a ton of support for Smash representation. The other has never had any. One is basically guaranteed to become a full series. The other will probably never even get a sequel.
I only mentioned Xenoblade as an example when you pressed me on the issue.

And how do you know it will be less popular than it is now in half a decade? Are you Shulk? Did you have a vision? :4shulk:

Any character from any new franchise introduces a new world to Smash, but the only two big universes Nintendo have introduced recently are STEAM and Splatoon (XCX could also count even if it's part of a franchise since it has little relation to XC lore wise). Once again, the truth isn't a flimsy argument.

The reason they would pick STEAM is because they literally have nothing to lose, only something to gain, by including STEAM characters. Even assuming they do nothing with the STEAM franchise until Smash 5, Smash 5 would promote the franchise, both the original and possible future installments. If they don't do this, then they literally leave the franchise to die and miss out on an opportunity. If they do include STEAM characters, people will probably want to play the games the characters come from.

For examples of them doing this EXACT thing in the past, see :4ness::4lucas::4marth::4feroy::4pit::4shulk:.

Soul.

When we say "bombed" does that mean huge sales numbers or failure in sales?

D

Deleted member

When we say "bombed" does that mean huge sales numbers or failure in sales?
I always had the same doubt because in portuguese we use the expression "bombed" to say something was a huge success
****ing english being a contrarian

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at the FF7 footage, it seems Cloud has his toned down hair from more recent works. Maybe it's like how Sakurai got classic Pac-Man or something...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I haven't played the original Ni no Kuni but the visuals of the new one certainly blew me away.

Chrono.

Angel being back, to me basically confirms that leak list from ages ago is real :p
So far, it's spot on
KOF 14 Rumored List said:
  • China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)
  • Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)
  • Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)
  • Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)
  • K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond
  • Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)
  • Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)
  • Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice
  • Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern
  • Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)
  • Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice
  • Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
  • Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)
  • South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)
  • South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)
  • Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)
  • Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)
  • Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)
Unfortunately, aside from Angel, they're all pretty safe guesses.

Except maybe Chang since it does explicitly state he's a prisoner again.

Still tho, if true, I'll be laughing at how a Samurai Shodown character and fem!Terry made it in.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Huh, you know, I'm actually going to get this. As long as the gameplay is good, I careless about the visuals.
Don't lie, y'all just want it for Angel.

Can't blame ya. Get to watch a cute Mexican girl do the People's Elbow

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Right, history is important.

And as a game that failed and couldn't even remain relevant for a year, I don't think that's a factor Codename STEAM has on its side, either.
Talk about moving the goalposts instead of getting the point of that post...

You also act as if it's impossible for S.T.E.A.M. to gain supporters over time or to even get a sequel. It's not impossible. But the fact remains that sales don't matter in the slightest as far as the main game is concerned. If a character has something that makes them stand out, they have a better shot than others, and Henry Fleming at least has that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...And no doubt they'd probably do the same to a certain bartender's bust...
Tifa's bust was never that big to begin with. It's just exaggerated by the fandom.

She's a C or D cup. No more than that.

C cup is considered average where I live, IIRC.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tifa's bust was never that big to begin with. It's just exaggerated by the fandom.

wow, that being average

Do you live in some sort of paradise world?

D

Deleted member

Don't lie, y'all just want it for Angel.

Can't blame ya. Get to watch a cute Mexican girl do the People's Elbow
Nah, Ash Crimson is mah husbando, and I'm 99% he won't return. :p

I'm in because it says it'll have 50+ characters and the gameplay looks quite fun as usual. See, I was just hoping it wouldn't pull a KoF 12.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
wow, that being average

Do you live in some sort of paradise world?
Just looked it up and the current best selling bust size in Ireland is 34DD.

Which is larger than what Tifa has.

EDIT: That information is out dated. The most recent report actually says 36DD.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
For examples of them doing this EXACT thing in the past, see :4ness::4lucas::4marth::4feroy::4pit::4shulk:.
As of their debut inclusion in Smash:
Mother is popular in Japan
Fire Emblem is a long running franchise that had a notable cult following in Japan.
Kid Icarus was a million seller on NES
Xenoblade is also a cult classic, sold very well in the West for something that is restricted to one store.

STEAM did not meet any kind of success and bombed harder than Wonderful 101. It's not comparable to those franchises.

With all that said, it IS possible for STEAM to pick up and gain popularity but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

It's just exaggerated by the fandom.
You call THIS exaggerated?

Don't blame me, blame 1997 Squaresoft CG design team and Nomura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom