• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Man, writing these Nuzlocke updates is quite fun
If I had any drawing skills I would have made a comic a long time ago
Still ashamed none of you tried to decipher the codes on the last update, I thought people liked Gravity Falls!

On a scale from VGA to 10, how's that Sony stream going?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Still ashamed none of you tried to decipher the codes on the last update, I thought people liked Gravity Falls!

>Implying VGA was bad this year

PSX started really well, it's mostly just been coasting through since.

First few minutes of FF7 and Street Fighter was a 9

Now with all this VR BS and minor titles I would say about a .5 :p

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, a gigantic storm has been raging in Sweden for two days. So far, our greenhouse is very damaged (multiple windows blown out or just broken), our 'wind shelter' (sorta a buncha wooden walls made to protect against the wind on nice summer days when you sit outside) have been destroyed and some literally flown away. Lost power for many hours each day, at many different times. TV antenna is destroyed, so, no TV for some time. It is even cold. -w-

And to make it all worse, trees have fallen over the road allover the place here, so there is lots of noise from people sawing them to get them out of the way.

Ugh. It has not been the best few days, and the damn storm won't give up until Monday.
Darn, sorry to hear to hear that. Stay safe.

This FANG guy looks like a hilarious take on Chinese stereotypes to me.

:231:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'd didn't say they "were a given".

I said they are pretty safe bets.

Stop projecting things I didn't say onto my posts. That's the second time you've done that here.

Once again, the truth isn't a flimsy argument. Xenoblade was hardly a top seller before Smash, and still isn't. So why can't STEAM get in?
I'm saying they're not safe bets. There is nothing safe about betting that a character from a game that failed will still be relevant enough to get a spot in Smash a generation away.

It's exactly what I was saying in the post that spurred this conversation; when making prediction lists for Smash 5 newcomers, everyone looks at it as if the game's going to be out in a year. Nobody factors in what games will leave a lasting legacy, and which ones will be forgotten. What's popular now isn't necessarily going to be popular in the future.

The problem with a Codename STEAM character is that it's never been popular. The game flopped and none of its characters are in demand for Smash. A STEAM character pretty much embodies what I was talking about in that post.

It's getting really tiresome seeing people say "SHULK MADE IT SO <insert no-name character here that have pretty much no support> CAN TOO!". Just because Xenoblade is virtually unknown in the states doesn't mean Shulk's presence opens the door for every Z-list Nintendo star. The game was successful elsewhere, and Shulk has been in high demand for the entirety of Smash 4's pre-release. No Codename STEAM character has ever gotten noteworthy fan support. If there's no fan demand, the game flopped, and there's little chance of a follow-up, the chance of it getting a playable character in SSB5 is virtually non-existent.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just putting it out there, didn't Earthbound absolutely bomb when it was first released in the US? Fairly certain it did.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
>Implying VGA was bad this year

PSX started really well, it's mostly just been coasting through since.
It sold 0.9 million copies, that's not a flop considering how it is a niche JRPG.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just putting it out there, didn't Earthbound absolutely bomb when it was first released in the US? Fairly certain it did.
It did.

Thankfully, it has a cult following that keeps it relevant.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I am beyond obsessed with OPM's opening theme. Hell, I think it may even rival Naruto in terms of sheer awesomeness.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Glad to see Fang has been revealed for SF5. I guess I can now officially finish major SF5 speculation.

I don't see anyone from Codename STEAM being a safe bet for SSB5.
The game had merely decent reviews and it sold awfully.
I feel its future is questionable at best.

Another good game to come from crowdfunding is Freedom Planet. Sure the story cutscenes are as poorly paced as a Metal Gear game but it's still the best Sonic game in years.

Final Fantasy 7 remake looked really really really slick.

Cloud's a little too scrawny looking though.
I feel the same way.

I don't think any of those are a given except Inklings.

Codename STEAM is on the same boat as Wonderful 101. Both were flops, both are unlikely to have follow-ups, and both will likely be forgotten entirely by the time Smash 5 rolls around.
Codename STEAM also was less well-received among people who played it than the Wonderful 101 was among people who played it. It doesn't help that even concerning fan-polls for Smash, I never have seen a Codename STEAM character rank decently in any single one at any point unlike Wonder Red.

If any IS-developed franchise is likely to get a sequel despite its last/only game selling poorly, it would be Advance Wars, due to this.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm saying they're not safe bets. There is nothing safe about betting that a character from a game that failed will still be relevant enough to get a spot in Smash a generation away.
Your argument fell apart as soon as you used the bolded.

Chrono.

Sony really needs to work on their closings.

Last conf ended with David Cage, this time it was a MOBA that looked every MOBA ever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How hilarious would it be if Crash Bandicoot was the final 3rd party?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So the only interesting thing that came out of this was Fang in SFV, FF7 Remake confirmed for Action styled and Ace Combat 7.

2/3 of those games I can probably get on Xbox.

I'll probably pick up Bastion

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It sold 0.9 million copies, that's not a flop considering how it is a niche JRPG.
Considering the scope of the game, I'd say that's not very good.

What determines whether or not a game is successful or a flop is how it does relative to it's cost of development. There isn't a single, all encompassing scale.

Regardless, sales don't mean anything for characters showing up in a fresh Smash, and that was my point to begin with.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Codename STEAM also was less well-received among people who played it than the Wonderful 101 was among people who played it. It doesn't help that even concerning fan-polls for Smash, I never have seen a Codename STEAM character rank decently in any single one at any point unlike Wonder Red.
That's what I was referring to when I said that none of the characters seem to be in demand.

I've seen some names thrown around, but on the actual polls, none of them ever perform well.

I think it very much did.

Didn't hear a word of it before Smash. And GameStop meddling really **** on it's potential to sell.
In the states.

It did well in Japan. As far as I know, Codename STEAM and W101 bombed everywhere.

Considering the scope of the game, I'd say that's not very good.

What determines whether or not a game is successful or a flop is how it does relative to it's cost of development. There isn't a single, all encompassing scale.

Regardless, sales don't mean anything for characters showing up in a fresh Smash, and that was my point to begin with.
There's a multitude of factors.

The game flopped, it has no future as a franchise, it hasn't even been out for a year yet and it's already all-but-forgotten (and thus has no potential whatsoever to leave behind a legacy).

There is nothing going for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How hilarious would it be if Crash Bandicoot was the final 3rd party?
First Snake in Brawl, then Cloud and now Crash. Sakurai would make the best version of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale if Crash is added.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Crash game?
Called it.

If you're going to announce a big game like that there would be no hints. Just drop it on people. Of course we never will get Crash so. . .

I should have stopped watching after SF5. That, Ratchet, and of course FF7 were all I liked.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Xenoblade did okay. I doubt it did 800k despite what places like VGChartz may say, but it was pirated a whole lot, and still must've done well enough that Nintendo bothered with the N3DS port and hinging XCX on its brand name.

Though the latter two have both underperformed to my knowledge, so I'd be curious to see if the series still continues.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's what I was referring to when I said that none of the characters seem to be in demand.

I've seen some names thrown around, but on the actual polls, none of them ever perform well.

In the states.

It did well in Japan. As far as I know, Codename STEAM and W101 bombed everywhere.
And I've said from the beginning that it doesn't matter at all for a fresh Smash game.

For DLC? STEAM is out of the question, more or less.

For a new game? It's just as possible as Inklings. It's a new IP, it offers new material for Sakurai or whoever to work with. Sakurai has gone on record saying that THE most important "criteria" for Smash characters is "do they offer something new?". STEAM introduces a whole new universe to Smash.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
So the only interesting thing that came out of this was Fang in SFV, FF7 Remake confirmed for Action styled and Ace Combat 7.
Well for you anyway.

I have an interest in Yakuza 0, Ni no Kuni 2 and Ni-oh as well.

....and there's probably someone out there that enjoyed the VR stuff. The poor soul...

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No Crash game?
Called it.

If you're going to announce a big game like that there would be no hints. Just drop it on people. Of course we never will get Crash so. . .

I should have stopped watching after SF5. That, Ratchet, and of course FF7 were all I liked.
At least I will have my memories of the good times I've had with Crash 3 when I was a kid.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

In the states.

The US/Europe is honestly where it matters as far as game sales considering those countries account for a much bigger percentage of the market than Japan. Earthbound absolutely bombed in America and Xenoblade sales were lackluster due to the distribution methods.

But the kicker is that sales absolutely don't matter. If it's a fresh Smash, people are gonna buy the game anyway. If a character shows potential that no one else can, their odds are even better. The only time I even remember Sakurai mentioning sales is when he said Duck Hunt was the best selling shooter game, but even that was attributed more to history than economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom