• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Also, Lyn's moveset in PM is like the greatest thing ever created.
Fast, stylish, and exactly what I would want from a lightning-fast samurai user in Smash.

If I'm being honest...I like it more than some of the official characters' movesets.
Her arrows maaaan.
Her arrows are SO MUCH FUUUN.

Also, is it just me or does Lyn's counter not work? I swear I've tried everything I can to test it but it always ends with a Raiper to the face. :V am I missing something?

Last edited:

Chrono.

Her arrows maaaan.
Her arrows are SO MUCH FUUUN.

Also, is it just me or does Lyn's counter not work? I swear I've tried everything I can to test it but it always ends with a Raiper to the face. :V am I missing something?
Well she was unfinished for a reason.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I mean, look sure it's underwhelming. And while I doubt it was meant to topple the Mega Man series, some of the aspects could've gone over a bit better.

Blind over exaggeration.

I've always kinda been ticked off at MN9 for stealing countless design elements from MM since before it was cool to hate on it (#hipsterlyfe), Indie games have a disturbing and quality-lowering tendency to be marketed solely because they are created by independent companies, and I'm a bit salty jealous of people who can have fun MST3King for a living and get rich off of it.

FTR, looking forward to Terraria on Nintendo systems next year.
To be fair, MN9 was meant to be a spiritual successor to Mega Man. The Kickstarter I believe even made mention of that. Hell they're both made by the same guy, and it's not like he doesn't have the right to make a game in a style that he helped crate.

Also:
and I'm a bit salty jealous of people who can have fun MST3King for a living and get rich off of it.
I don't have a clue where this sentence came up. I don't remember talking about MST.
But to their defense those who have made a living on it (like Mike Nelson, Joel Hodgson, etc.) are well-known comedians who have done a lot of works in their time. And I could argue there's more to riffing than just criticizing or mocking bad works. Especially to their level of wit.

Humor is an art, and often one of the hardest things to do well. Some can pull it off, and others falter.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Does anyone know about any projects to finish Isaac, Sami, Lyn, and Knuckles?
Aside from the silly new PMDT that is.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Does anyone know about any projects to finish Isaac, Sami, Lyn, and Knuckles?
Aside from the silly new PMDT that is.
If there are, I have a gut feeling we aren't allowed to talk about them if Strong Bad is any indication.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I mean, look sure it's underwhelming. And while I doubt it was meant to topple the Mega Man series, some of the aspects could've gone over a bit better.

To be fair, MN9 was meant to be a spiritual successor to Mega Man. The Kickstarter I believe even made mention of that. Hell they're both made by the same guy, and it's not like he doesn't have the right to make a game in a style that he helped crate.

Also:

I don't have a clue where this sentence came up. I don't remember talking about MST.
But to their defense those who have made a living on it (like Mike Nelson, Joel Hodgson, etc.) are well-known comedians who have done a lot of works in their time. And I could argue there's more to riffing than just criticizing or mocking bad works. Especially to their level of wit.

Humor is an art, and often one of the hardest things to do well. Some can pull it off, and others falter.
To be fair, I'm not knocking them. I just wish I was good at it.

Also spiritual successors are for plebs. :4megaman:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ignore this, Crashboards is spazzing out on me.

Also what VC games should I buy?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Really insightful interview that also sheds light on Kimishima's initiatives and, of course, the future of Nintendo as a company.

Their goals for now seem to match what Iwata had planned for a while. We'll see how things unfold from here on.

Thanks for sharing.
I sort of fearful that whoever became the new president of Nintendo, the whole setup Iwata had would be all for naught for the new guy to make it what the investors want or go try to be more like Sony or Microsoft but Kimishima tossed those fears away. He seems like a guy who wants to help push Nintendo further and keep status quo but also willing to change it up a bit.

Hopefully, they can still keep a focus on the Western audiences, more new titles and more third party support

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Saw it, and all I'll say on the matter from now on is that the dev team really should be using that post as their main explanation for this whole situation, rather than the overall confusing and sugar coated front page article we got here on Smashboards. People seem to be more understanding of that Facebook post and it's overall been resonating with more people, in comparison to the article on the front page, which is mostly causing confusion. It overall addresses more issues and clears up the situation better.

I got **** on for no reason by one of the dev team members for pointing that out, even though I was saying that as a piece of advice, in support of them. So I'm frankly not that interested in supporting P:M anymore (not even sure if I wanna try 3.6 anymore, let alone the leaked stuff), when doing so only got me insulted by one of the dev team members for no reason (even if he disagreed with what I said or there is more to it than I am aware of, which I don't exactly doubt to be the case, there is no need to insult someone who is trying to support you and help you). Since that dev team member also is an admin of Smashboards, I am also dissuaded from even visiting this site anymore (I'm sure some people would rejoice from that thought). Though I'll hang around for a while and see how things go.

I also might just watch the Game Awards tonight, I learned that it's only gonna be 2 hours long this time, and that it will have an Iwata tribute, which I definitely want to see.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Saw it, and all I'll say on the matter from now on is that the dev team really should be using that post as their main explanation for this whole situation, rather than the overall confusing and sugar coated front page article we got here on Smashboards. People seem to be more understanding of that Facebook post and it's overall been resonating with more people, in comparison to the article on the front page, which is mostly causing confusion. It overall addresses more issues and clears up the situation better.

I got **** on for no reason by one of the dev team members for pointing that out, even though I was saying that as a piece of advice, in support of them. So I'm frankly not that interested in supporting P:M anymore (not even sure if I wanna try 3.6 anymore, let alone the leaked stuff), when doing so only got me insulted by one of the dev team members for no reason (even if he disagreed with what I said or there is more to it than I am aware of. which I don't exactly doubt to be the case, there is no need to insult someone who is trying to support you and help you). Since that dev team member also is an admin of Smashboards, I am also dissuaded from even visiting this site anymore (I'm sure some people would rejoice from that thought). Though I'll hang around for a while and see how things go.

I also might just watch the Game Awards tonight, I learned that it's only gonna be 2 hours long this time, and that it will have an Iwata tribute, which I definitely want to see.
I saw that and was gonna comment on how you got **** on and how it wasn't right but finally decided to just shut my mouth. Wasn't by me or from me that it happened but I'm sorry about that regardless.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Speaking of the Game Awards, anyone got a link or whatever to where I can watch that?
It's going on at 9PM EST, right? :4pacman:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Came back from five episode binge of Gravity Falls, the last five. I have too many feels right now.

:231:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hmm... My ability to write Japanese on my PC really does have its perks, as I can only find PXZ2 music in high quality by searching in Japanese.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Came back from five episode binge of Gravity Falls, the last five. I have too many feels right now.

Poor one armed monster. He only wanted people to get into his mouth.

D

Deleted member

It's a new era.

Would you like to join?
Yes, I would like to join. :p
http://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Guys, I have a dilemma.
Should I use a new Christmas avatar or this old one from last year?
View attachment 85924
New one. Not because the old one is bad, just because I like to see new things.
Maybe use a Christmas avatar based on something you would want for Christmas, then?
Oh boy.... If this applied to me....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also I'll probably be getting that Shovel Knight Amiibo tomorrow. If it's still in stock, anyway. I thought it was delayed until January and GameStop here typically doesn't open pre-orders for Amiibos until like, 5 days before release, haha.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Reading all this PM stuff,seems like a unstopppable force would be released on the earth, doomsday too much, anyway that's kinda expected when a project is composed by a bunch of "anons" on the internet.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's really just so much simpler than people, even the PM devs, are making it out to be.

They looked down the road they were going, realized things were getting into way too much of a legal gray area (adding completely new characters into a mod that people practically treat as an official smash game, several of which wouldn't even be first or second party), and got out before they dug a hole so deep that they couldn't escape from it. There was no C&D, but they wanted to stop before they got the risk of something WORSE than a C&D.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Too people saying that Lyn's counter doesn't work. Didn't the leaked footage with Lyn and Knuckles show a dash attack of some sort that needs to be properly spaced? I suggest turning hitboxes on for that. I'm at least happy the PMDT knew when to stop before there actually were any lawsuits, my guess is because of the newcomers

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Poor one armed monster. He only wanted people to get into his mouth.
I've heard there's about thirty minutes of unused dialogue of the voice actor improvising ways for the monster to beg for people to get into his mouth.

Only one left.....

At least it's an hour-long special (broadcasting time-wise)

Chrono.

It's really just so much simpler than people, even the PM devs, are making it out to be.

They looked down the road they were going, realized things were getting into way too much of a legal gray area, and got out before they dug a hole so deep that they couldn't escape from it. There was no C&D, but they wanted to stop before they got the risk of something WORSE than a C&D.

It's as simple as that.
Amusingly enough, by trying to end things on a somewhat quiet note, they ended up causing the complete opposite effect.

It's unfortunate but such is the internet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Only one left.....

At least it's an hour-long special (broadcasting time-wise)
Whoa... Weirdmageddon III is the last episode? I need to prepare myself, but it will very likely be an emotional roller-coaster.

I think it will release around Christmas.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Whoa... Weirdmageddon III is the last episode? I need to prepare myself, but it will very likely be an emotional roller-coaster.

Yeah, Alex Hirsch confirmed it will be the final episode and that he's planned to end it after this season for a while now.

Time Baby may make a final appearance and have a showdown with Bill, and Dipper will have to take matters into his own hands and become his own man.

Bear in mind that Hirsch is well-known for teasing fans and subverting expectations, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Either way, it's going to be an incredible end to one of the the greatest animated series in recent years.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yeah, Alex Hirsch confirmed it will be the final episode and that he's planned to end it after this season for a while now.

Time Baby may make a final appearance and have a showdown with Bill, and Dipper will have to take matters into his own hands and become his own man.

Bear in mind that Hirsch is well-known for teasing fans and subverting expectations, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Either way, it's going to be an incredible end to one of the the greatest animated series in recent years.
Time Baby got (quite hilariously) stomped by Bill though.

I'll write out what I expect later on.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Sadly, yes.

I do have faith it'll be a great send-off for the series and finale for the story, as Alex stated that's what he always wanted the series to be. A story that has a beginning, middle and ending, and an exploration of summer.

Still, my emotions on it are mixed, as I really do think it's one of the greatest cartoons ever created, and it's my personal favorite cartoon as well, so regardless of how outstanding and satisfying the finale will more than likely be, it still saddens me to see it go, especially so soon.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Time Baby got (quite hilariously) stomped by Bill though.

I'll write out what I expect later on.

Oh, really? The interview I read said that was going to happen in the final episode.

I'm behind by a few, I need to catch up. The road trip episode was the last one I saw.

Either Hirsch is an absolute magnificent ******* or Stan is going to die in a fire.

But knowing him it's a massive red herring.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

They looked down the road they were going, realized things were getting into way too much of a legal gray area, and got out before they dug a hole so deep that they couldn't escape from it. There was no C&D, but they wanted to stop before they got the risk of something WORSE than a C&D.

It's as simple as that.

Pretty much. Everyone, even some of the dev team, is putting so much emphasis on the "creative ethics" of playing, distributing, and further developing the leaked build or any other unofficial derivative releases, about how it upsets the developers that their unfinished work is being put out in the open for all to see. While I get how the developers would feel there, but also ignoring the debatable nature and general confusion of some of the front page article on certain fronts, that is missing the biggest issue here, and that is that people's lives are at risk (not in the sense that people will die, but in the sense that they will effectively have their lives ruined indefinitely) if people continue to work on the game or over expose it in general. The front page article here did briefly mention the "legal fear" that caused the shut down of the project, but it was so briefly mentioned and tucked in there that people just mostly ignored it and ended up confused about everything else.

Mewtwo2000's Facebook post cleared up way more than any of the other statements we've seen. Not just his post, but he's been responding to people in the comments of it. Really, they should be taking what he says and using that as their "official statement" on why the project is being dropped and why they don't want to see unofficial derivatives. Not only did his post properly explain the legal fear they have in detail, but it covered the other stuff too, in more cohesive detail anyway.

The way I see it, they are trying to post all of these PR statements, but most of the team doesn't seem like they have the talent to properly form one (that's not an insult, it's just the impression I get - developers are often not the best at PR anyway). Mewtwo2000, though, seems like he gets that job done the best, though, so they should just take his statements, spread them around, and let that be the final word. It's already proven to have gotten the best response from the people in the community out of all the statements they made.

------------------

Anyway, did you guys see the new Linkle trailer? The music is this wonderfully whimsical remix of the LoZ main theme.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Blind over exaggeration.

I've always kinda been ticked off at MN9 for stealing countless design elements from MM since before it was cool to hate on it (#hipsterlyfe), Indie games have a disturbing and quality-lowering tendency to be marketed solely because they are created by independent companies, and I'm a bit salty jealous of people who can have fun MST3King for a living and get rich off of it.

FTR, looking forward to Terraria on Nintendo systems next year.
Fair enough. I'm sorry to see MN9 has contributed to souring your opinion on Indies, though. Games like Cave Story, Iji, Shovel Knight, Undertale, and a whole slew of others are just a few counter-examples, but I can't deny you're right in that there is an odd trend of certain games getting off easy just because their devs are well-known - and because the devs have celebrity status, of course their games are going to get more attention, good or bad.

I'm also jealous of LPers who can profit off of playing games. My g/f have been trying to do that for about 2 years now and we haven't seen a dime. In terms of rewards, it seems to be a labor that's less about skill and more about timing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And we seem to have confirmation tha thte NX will be like the DS was to the Gamecube and GBA. Not the next in line, but a third branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom