• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yes, we should certainly do what we can to oppose this. Assuming it passes anyway (and it likely will, given the suspicious nature of its secretive drafting), what would a future with TPP really look like? Most cryers will give you the worst-case scenario, but I think history tells us it won't be as terrible as all that.

In practice, I imagine this would be a lot harder to enforce than it sounds. People like Tamaki can simply fly under the radar and continue leaking info under an anonymous pseudonym. Just like any other law, if someone really wants to break it, they'll find a way.

Modders would have more to fear, but I don't doubt there are plenty of game devs out there who would respond to this ruling by publicly declaring their openness to mods tinkering with their games - like we've seen with the Youtube copyright-claim fiascos, big name developers quickly changed their tune when they realized pushing their customers away from what they want to do with their purchase is bad business. I think we'll see a sudden polarization between companies who love their modders and those who prosecute them, a few months will go by, and after the latter group looks at their sales figures and goes "oh **** we done goofed," they'll probably relax a little at a time, though still never quite being totally free.

That's how it is in America, at least. From what I understand, Europe still has a rough crackdown on copyright, with Germany remaining one of the most likely companies to block your video if it contains music a bot recognizes.

Apparently you could go to jail for making fan art.

So yeah I guess they could do that too :p
I may have missed that part... though I think cases like that would follow the same pattern as modders, though much faster. "Stop loving our product so much that you need to express said love to your peers for free" is the dumbest message you could send as a business owner.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I just want to know the point behind TPP. Now I'm not gonna go around acting like I know exactly what it is inside out, but from everything I've read and heard about TPP it only seems like a scheme to give more power to the powerful with little regard for those it'll truly effect.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Probably fear of Project M being shut down.
Nintendo doesn't like PM, but they don't really have much reason to try to shut it down. They'd just waste time and money on legal fees and get a lot of bad publicity.
Many other parts of the TPP are far scarier and more concern-worthy.
The problem is the TPP works to take freedoms away and give criminal punishments for things that are innocent.
What this bill does is way worse than shut up potential leakers.
Then people should focus on those parts instead of this.
If leaks were to no longer exist due to TPP, would that result in a weaker Smash speculation or...?
Nothing would stop people from making fake "leaks", which amount to like 99.999% of all leaks.

Though I prefer leakless speculation.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Apparently you could go to jail for making fan art.

So yeah I guess they could do that too :p
Well damn if that happens I'll be sad, there's to many good fangames( as hacks) and I'm following so many good ones from rpg maker.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well that was quick, yeah, I've resolved most of my problems I currently have, and in less than a day, all I had to do was talk to some people do a little research and bang!!! So finally after four months of waiting, Classic Ninten is finally back! (Which means no more BS, no more arguements, and no more lousy misinformation, from now on it's research and proper sources and always the truth while also being upfront and accurite and having proper wording too!!!)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
TPP is supposed to fight piracy and strengthen copyright laws.

Not a bad set of ideals.

In practice though,it's just poopy as poop can be.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Nintendo doesn't like PM, but they don't really have much reason to try to shut it down. They'd just waste time and money on legal fees and get a lot of bad publicity.
Nintendo doesn't seem to know what "bad publicity" is...:/
Then people should focus on those parts instead of this.
I agree.
Though this is part of it. It shows how ridiculous the punishments for things would be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Feminism is supposed to fight prejudice and strengthen equal rights.

Not a bad set of ideals.

In practice though,it's just poopy as poop can be.
Oh no! It seems as if someone has edited your post to get a point across!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So currently I'm working on a thing where I try and use custom parts for clone characters to make them more true to how they originally were in their source games, currently I'm doing :4lucina:, where I've made her closer to her counterpart from Awakening by making her more of a speedy fighter and gave her more speedy custom moves, making her a quick but powerful fighter. (Her sword also heals herself just like in the source game)

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
What you also have to realize is that the TPP doesn't just affect intellectual properties. It can also affect things like medicine and income.

There's really nothing positive about the bill at all.

D

Deleted member

What you also have to realize is that the TPP doesn't just affect intellectual properties. It can also affect things like medicine and income.

There's really nothing positive about the bill at all.
As far as intellectual properties go, this reminds me of SOPA and PIPA in a way.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh no! It seems as if someone has edited your post to get a point across!
Because we were totally talking about feminism?
I mean, I'm just saying it makes little sense to bring it up apart from a out of left field "haha Tumblr is dumb am I right guys?".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because we were totally talking about feminism?
I mean, I'm just saying it makes little sense to bring it up apart from a out of left field "haha Tumblr is dumb am I right guys?".
It just felt fitting
I saw the chance and took it

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It just felt fitting
I saw the chance and took it
No... Not really.
It'd be like if we were talking about corruption in the government, and then someone takes a pot shot at EA out of nowhere.
I get it's an easy target, but there's a time and place for everything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So currently I'm working on a thing where I try and use custom parts for clone characters to make them more true to how they originally were in their source games, currently I'm doing :4lucina:, where I've made her closer to her counterpart from Awakening by making her more of a speedy fighter and gave her more speedy custom moves, making her a quick but powerful fighter. (Her sword also heals herself just like in the source game)
But only the Exalted Falchion (ie, Chrom's) can heal. Lucina uses the Parallel Falchion.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
No... Not really.
It'd be like if we were talking about corruption in the government, and then someone takes a pot shot at EA out of nowhere.
I get it's an easy target, but there's a time and place for everything.
*Professor Oak intensifies*

Yeah, once one political thing gets involved, sooner or later all of them will.

It's why Godwin's Law exists.

D

Deleted member

But only the Exalted Falchion (ie, Chrom's) can heal. Lucina uses the Parallel Falchion.
The Parallel Falchion could heal too
It is also technically the Exalted Falchion seeing it has deals bonus damage to Grima
Every time I see "TPP" I just think of MGSV.
I think of that memefest on Twitch

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think Twitch Plays Pokemon personally. . .

Remember when that was a thing? good times. Good times.
My favorite was the panel puzzle in Team Rocket's Hideout. I will never forget the moment I was called "retarted" because I said "up".

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
TPP won't pass.

I've kept an eye on this and other big copyright treaties and bills for about six years at this stage. It's nothing short of a miracle that it even got to this stage, since it's been on life support for about two years now. Fast Track authority was supposed to be passed in 2013 and the deal was supposed to have been finished by then, but public resistance stymied it until a Fast Track bill just barely gasped through Congress this summer. Then the House Majority Leader, John Boehner, stuck his neck too far out with the Republican vote and got backdrafted for it. The Republican vote, which was crucial to getting the deal to this stage, is eroding by the day. Even Hilary Clinton, one of the chief supporters of the treaty, has bowed to public pressure and said she doesn't think it's a good deal. Hell, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump detest it equally (albeit for very different reasons).

SANDERS AND TRUMP AGREE ON SOMETHING IMPORTANT. That should tell you the state that this deal is in.

Oh yeah, then there's the fact that, even if it does come to pass, it will be sometime next year at the earliest. Probably mid to late 2016 by the way things have been going. They really, really, really, really didn't want to have to release the text, but they just did. So there's that. It's not something I will worry about.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I leave for barely a couple of hours then all of a sudden:

Politics!

Sigh...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My favorite was the panel puzzle in Team Rocket's Hideout. I will never forget the moment I was called "retarted" because I said "up".
They just played Collessseum, don't know what happened, but I have no clue how they could win that final fight. It's to hard.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Politics. Ugh. I'd rather we have a chat about the lovable Shovel Knight leak before I have to be in constant fear of Trump being president again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The solution to all of life's problems is to build up a wall.

Just ask East Berlin and every emotionally distant ex I've ever had.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So, just for fun, if you could only choose one Nintendo franchise for each of these, what would it be?

Live-Action Movie
Live Action Tv-Show
CGi Movie
CGi Tv-Show
Traditional Cartoon Film
Traditional Cartoon Show
Live-Action Movie: F-Zero
Live-Action TV-Show: Legend of Zelda
CGi Movie: Super Mario Bros.
CGi TV-Show: Pikmin
Traditional Cartoon Film: Metroid
Traditional Cartoon Show: Kid Icarus

A live-action F-Zero movie in the tone of the live-action Speed Racer movie (a guilty pleasure of mine) would be amazing.

Zelda would work really well for a TV series, I was actually excited for the Netflix series until it was confirmed fake.

Again, I hope that animated Mario movie with Sony Pictures goes through, especially if Genndy Tartakovsky is involved. One of my artistic inspirations directing a movie based on one of my favorite game franchises? Yes please!

Maybe not so much a series, I'd just like to see more of those Pikmin shorts.

Metroid could be a great live-action movie, but I think an anime film would be just as great if not better.

Kid Icarus is just begging to be a series, I loved the character interactions in Uprising. They could give some attention to characters who didn't get enough time to shine.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Fear not as there are more glitches to exploit.

I could make a decent and no troll level with this glitch, but it wouldn't be truly amazing, so I'll leave this glitch alone, but let's just say my next level involve quite the glitz!

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Welp. Things are starting to get interesting now...
upload_2015-11-5_17-32-22.png

EDIT: Hey! I'm not pranked anymore! It was starting to get weird with the purple lettering :p.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
This is certainly interesting, I'll go make a level with this gli--
*patched*
I'd say a good rule of thumb for any creator is simply don't use glitches. I was tempted, but knew there was a good chance they'd be patched. Honestly, Nintendo gave us so many tools and options, there's simply no reason to use any glitch or exploit. I feel they're cheap gimmicks used mostly by trolls. Creating fun and interesting levels that fully utilize the (legit) tools at our disposal is the true challenge.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom