• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Well, clearly SEGA doesn't remember Sonic's history enough. They keep doing terrible experiments with the games instead of sticking with what worked before and adding to that.

Besides, Generations 2 would be a new game made from old parts. It's a complete reimagining of old levels in a new game. That sounds as good to me as another Unleashed, or Lost World.
I don't want another median between Classic and Modern. They need to pick a side and stick to it. They need to pick a gameplay style and focus solely on that style, not try to have their cake and eat it too. Generations 2 would he the definition of "cop out" at this point in the series.
As well, who's to say that after a Gens 2, this wouldn't happen again? Hence why we need to stop moving back, and take a couple CORRECT steps forward before playing pure nostalgia again.

Last edited:

Chrono.

For a Generations 2, I'd like if, instead of Sonic's history, they go through SEGA's overall (like that one probably fake leak described), modern gameplay only, 2 acts.

That's really the only way I could see a Generations 2 working out, making the same anniversary game a second time would be beating a dead horse.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
For a Generations 2, I'd like if, instead of Sonic's history, they go through SEGA's overall (like that one probably fake leak described).

That's really the only way I could see a Generations 2 working out, making the same anniversary game a second time would be beating a dead horse.
This is actually what I would want.
Mainly for a PSO themed level and boss. D:

Or Ecco the Dolphin level.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I've said this already I'd like there to be actual Classic Sonic game as the "2D Sonic" series while there's Modern Sonic (w/ boost) as the "3D Sonic" series.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Speaking of Sonic, have we discussed this yet?

Because as much as I want to be happy about that, I'm getting really sick of SEGA saying and not doing. They SAY they're gonna improve quality control of their games (If Lost World PC is any indication, they're off to a bumpy start there), they SAY they know they've betrayed Sonic fans as of late, and now they're SAYING that things need to be more like they were in Sonic's haydays when all they have to attest for that is a generic mobile runner and a Boom game that the development team is barely even WORKING on right now (for they record, they didn't delay Fire and Ice for quality control. The dev team is literally not even working on the game right now.)

Getting really sick of words, Sega. REALLY sick.
To be quite honest. I am happy they are actually taking their time with the new Sonic Game.
Because it won't be rushed. (Remember what happened 10 years prior to next years game)
I am just hoping they bring back the old things. Like multiple characters.
And full 3d gameplay. Because the 2d/3d split was very unnecessary especially in Generations with classic being back.
I just hope the next game is good, Especially an anniversary title.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh I don't really see how a second Generations game is "moving back". It does contain modern Sonic, after all. And the modern gameplay style. Sonic's gone through a lot of different game styles, Generations 2 just uses the two that worked.

Regardless, it clearly won't be the next Sonic game anyways, because it was an anniversary title. I could see it as a 30th anniversary game, but 25th seems too close.

Overall I don't care what SEGA is doing unless it's making more Modern Sonic.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
SEGA should do a "Sonic Maker," as that's a franchise that would work really well in the Mario Maker format.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
MYSTERY DUNGEON GOT INSANE FAST!
So buizel got wrecked by entei, then we had to fight him. Entei destroyed me, tepig and I had 10hp left and he took the remainder of my reviver seeds. Good thin i had the revive all orb to save me! definitely harder! But then when I was about to lose, I apparently did enough damage and a cutscene happened! My team's scarfs started to magically glow! Then we became blastoise and emboar! We then re fought entei( who still almost killed me) and beat him! Then we deevolved! It seems these scarves are important... And apparently the Sun is moving loser to the earth! So basically it's majoras Mask right now..

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I already gave up on the Sonic series long ago. lol

I simply stopped caring about it. I remember being hyped as **** when Sonic was announced for Brawl and now, I think he's just... kind of there in Smash 3DS/Wii U.

It's good that he got back anyway. I mean, Sonic is still regarded as a video game all-star and all that. I don't like roster cuts either, so yeah.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
SEGA should do a "Sonic Maker," as that's a franchise that would work really well in the Mario Maker format.
I don't agree, Sonic levels are so intricately designed that in the hands of someone not talented, it will become an absolute mess.
You know frustrating Mario Maker levels that drop fifteen Hammer Bros at once at you are?

This would be 100X worse with Sonic. There are so many ways to screw up Sonic levels due to how the games are designed.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
As someone who has designed Sonic levels for fangames, designing a good one is very stressful lol It's wayyy too hard to design a great Sonic stage because it's one of these things you have to very and veryyyyy carefully design.

With that said though, I'm down for that regardless, but idk how well it would do.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So here's a question for you guys, sorry I've been gone so long even though I said I was back..

What do you think the full roster of Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics will be?

I'll post my personal list soon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Makers, after seeing Tri Force Heroes going with a level-based dungeon system, I am totally down for a Zelda Maker with a similar system. I feel like a Zelda Maker would be a bit less versatile than Mario Maker, but I'd still play because I would love to make Zelda dungeons.

What I would really like, however, is a Zelda DLC for Mario Maker, with:

- Keys & Locked Doors. You can place keys on bosses, creating a way to require the player to fight them. This is a complaint that a lot of level creators have had.

- Hearts. It makes Mario lose a heart when hit instead of losing his powerup. Also works on enemies. You could drop more hearts onto Mario or enemies to give them more health. This is great for levels designed around a single power-up, like shooter levels.
(some way to make let creators automatically make players start with a certain power-up should be added too)

- Octoroks, Tektites, Bubbles, and Stalfos as enemies. It would be interesting to see how these guys behave in Mario's world. They would be based on different games from Zelda in each theme.
Shake them to make them blue versions.

- Link powerup for Mario. Mario dons the green tunic and has a sword. His spin-jump is replaced with a Spin Attack. His attack button turns into the Sword Beam. It would just be a goofy but fun thing to add to the game.

- Hyrule Field and Dungeon level themes. Pretty straightforward, Two themes based on the overworld and dungeons from different Zelda games. LOZ for SMB, Zelda 2 for SMB3, ALTTP for SMW, and ALBW for NSMB.

A pipe dream, sure, but I would love this.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... I've seen some people predict that the most likely candidates we'll see are Inklings, Wolf and Shovel Knight.
Inkling and Wolf are self-explanatory as one is a very popular Nintendo character while the other is a missed veteran.

My question is, do people still have actual faith in the Shovel Knight rumor at all? In my opinion, all of this just seems like extreme bandwagoning to me.

I'm not looking for any more debates on the rumor nor criticizing other's opinion. I just want the clear truth from you guys on what you think. I've made a strawpoll for convenience sake, although I'd rather have someone explain themselves in the thread directly as It'd give some more insight on the matter and overall general opinions on it.

If it sounds like I'm against the rumor by the tone of this post, I'm not. I'm more in the wait and see approach. The presentation is almost here, so we'll see by then.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So here's a question for you guys, sorry I've been gone so long even though I said I was back..

What do you think the full roster of Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics will be?

I'll post my personal list soon.
Great question LTP. I'd love to see Petey back.

So... I've seen some people predict that the most likely candidates we'll see are Inklings, Wolf and Shovel Knight.
Inkling and Wolf are self-explanatory as one is a very popular Nintendo character while the other is a missed veteran.

My question is, do people still have actual faith in the Shovel Knight rumor at all? In my opinion, all of this just seems like extreme bandwagoning to me.

I'm not looking for any more debates on the rumor nor criticizing other's opinion. I just want the clear truth from you guys on what you think. I've made a strawpoll for convenience sake, although I'd rather have someone explain themselves in the thread directly as It'd give some more insight on the matter and overall general opinions on it.
I'd like to say I've seen many people who still believe in Shovel Knight overall, and some still believe the rumor could be true. I'm not one of them though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

If it sounds like I'm against the rumor by the tone of this post, I'm not. I'm more in the wait and see approach. The presentation is almost here, so we'll see by then.
I believe almost solely because I believe in the guy who told us about it.
I've been doing some thinking of my own, and I have a theory as to why we're getting Shovel Knight.

Shovelry or no, Inklings are the only first-party newcomer I can see happening.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I've been doing some thinking of my own, and I have a theory as to why we're getting Shovel Knight.

Just curious, what's your theory?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I'd still really like to see your theory, and why you think Inklings are the only possible first-party newcomer. You're the first person I've heard say that, so I'm interested.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'd like to share it, but I feel like I'm going to be treated as an idiot for even entertaining the possibility, so I don't feel like sharing it.
I promise I won't laugh any longer than 45 Seconds

But really dude, just shoot the wind. You're not treating it as anything more than a theory so that's totally fine. It's when people here think of something as FACT that things get messy.

So come on, I'm genuinely curious.

I know this is really nitpicky but I have do to it.

Master Chief isn't 3rd party, he's a 1st party.

And with that, my silly nitpick is done.
Well I mean you aren't WRONG :V. But he's not first party to Nintendo... I guess that actually does make his status kinda complicated. He isn't 3rd party by definition but he isn't 1st party Nintendo. What does that even make him besides "Not Nintendo"?
That's kinda funny for some reason, it makes me chuckle.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'm honestly tired of Smash speculation lol so I choose not to believe anything till it comes from the horse's mouth.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'd like to share it, but I feel like I'm going to be treated as an idiot for even entertaining the possibility, so I don't feel like sharing it.
Well. You got to have some fun with speculation =D. I honestly love thinking about outlandish possibilities. As long as you don't work yourself up to disappointment, you should be fine thinking about those kinds of things.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I say it's false. It's just we've gone on this long with the rumor being just that. Apart from theories and ideas there's nothing supporting it. So unless something happens I see no reason to still believe it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I speculate there's one one third party to come but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom